• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Star Fox Assault and its competitive potential

clowsui

Smash Legend
http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/gamecube/file/561297/35779
http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/gamecube/file/561297/48975

c/p these two links into your address bar if clicking them doesn't work.

While Starfox Assault SUCKS for singles (and when I say sucks I mean it blows), it seems to have incredible potential for doubles in the form of vehicle combat. Arwing riding and correct usage of the Landmaster (i.e. one guy uses the tank while the other looks for weapons to kill ppl as they're getting assaulted by the tank, one guy finds an Arwing and the other a Landmaster, etc.) boost the competition level by leaps and bounds. A bad camera and awkward control scheme might destroy it though.

What do you think about SFA and its potential? Would you try it out in tournaments if it was a mini-side event?

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
A lot of multiplayer games have the potential to be competitive. It's just that the so called competitive players never gives them a chance because they're usually not poppular. <_<

Dark Hart

Rejected by Azua
I think that SFA has as a great amount of potential. I play SFA "competatively" with my friends, and it seems a lot like HALO in terms of how it could be competitive.

snowaxe

Smash Apprentice
This game I think has deserved competitive play for ALONG TIME! Its to me very balanced and double tournys would be ingenoius. SLIPPY FTW!

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
No. The games multiplayer pales in comparison to most other FPS games one the market. Granted, it's the best you'll find on the gamecube, but it's one of about four games for the gamecube that ever had a multiplayer FPS mode.

Yaya

Smash Champion
Just as long as Wolf was banned, it would be pretty balanced, My brother and I had this real badass thing where I would fly on the wing with a sniper iand pick people off below.

clowsui

Smash Legend
Yeah but it'd be good as a side event at Melee tournaments for people who hate Brawl.

The system should be like this:

5 minute rounds
One Wolf per team max, can only be used once throughout the set
<insert banned maps here, too lazy to look for the map list...if someone would post it and we could debate>
No weapons banned entirely (explain more in a minute)
Can't stall with Arwing by flying around the edges of the map, doing constant uturns + barrel rolls + boosting

FIRST ROUND: <neutral map>
Wolves may not be used this round
5 mins
All vehicles open to play
All weapons open to play

SECOND ROUND: <CP map>
Wolves may be used this round as a CP.
Loser picks map, winner-loser-winner-loser character picking
Loser picks one weapon to ban (cannot be Sniper or Homing Launcher so that you can kill Arwings...)

THIRD ROUND THROUGH FIFTH: <CP map>
Same rules apply.

Cat Fight

Smash Lord
NNID
NoGoodEndings
If someone seems to think that a game could be tournament-worthy then I'm gonna give it a show regardless if it sucks.

Hasn't stopped me before... (looks back at Tenchu: Wrath of Heaven tourney)

^_~

clowsui

Smash Legend
The only thing that blows about Wolf is the fact that the Wolfen sucks massive balls when you try to wing ride
But yeah Wolf is broken, highest health + speed means that he takes two snipers to kill and can get to the GG or sniper before anyone else. ._.

Anyways when I go to EC next year I'll bring a Cube and a copy of Assault to play at tournaments, way too fun that game is.

KosukeKGA

Smash Champion
I forgot and I cannot check because I don't have the game with me, but what advantages does Falco have besides Arwing skill?

KosukeKGA

Smash Champion
Krystal with 2x barriers seems like the only other good character going against a Wolf in a shoot off.

I like playing Falco the most and it's saddening he dies so fast. I always just run straight into the Arwing since that's like the only thing I'm great at (SF64 practice lol).

This game has ATs too! In the Arwing, you can dodge anti-aircraft missiles by getting out of your vehicle and jumping back in. The game loses the lock-on on your vehicle so I suppose Falco could be beastly in an Arwing. :3

<.< I'm guessing that Arwing only fights are unbalanced?

clowsui

Smash Legend
Arwing only would be acceptable for singles simply because Arwing only doesn't offer any weapon setups so you can't grab a weapon, go to your plane and then solo wingride and shoot. Actually that'd be a good way to fight to pick Wolf in first round. 3 point Arwing only.
Health doesn't matter if you have high speed. Just go for the GGun or the Sniper...if you can Snipe well then its worth the low health.
Kosuke could you get this thread a stage list so that we can debate? XD

XACE-K

Smash Master
This sounds like a good idea.

Also whats with the thing about Wolf? Is he top tier in SFA or something? I can't remember his stats.

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
Name: Fox McCloud
Health: 3/5 stars
Speed: 3/5 stars
Jump: 3/5 stars
Arwing Skill: 4/5 stars
Wolfen Skill: 4/5 stars
Landmaster Skill: 4/5 stars
Pilot Skill: 4/5 stars

Name: Slippy Toad
Health: 4/5 stars
Speed: 2/5 stars
Jump: 4/5 stars
Arwing Skill: 2/5 stars
Wolfen Skill: 2/5 stars
Landmaster Skill: 5/5 stars
Pilot Skill: 3/5 stars
Special: Charge speed is twice as fast than the normal charge speed

Name: Falco Lombardi
Health: 1/5 stars
Speed: 4/5 stars
Arwing Skill: 5/5 stars
Landmaster Skill: 2/5 stars

Name: Krystal
Health: 2/5 stars
Speed: 3/5 stars
Special: Gets two barriers upon revival

Name: Peppy Hare
Health: 2/5 stars
Speed: 1/5 stars
Jump: 5/5 stars
Arwing Skill: 3/5 stars
Wolfen Skill: 3/5 stars
Landmaster Skill: 3/5 stars
Pilot Skill: 4/5 stars
Special: Charge speed is four times as fast as the normal charge speed

Name: Wolf O'Donnell
Health: 5/5 stars
Speed: 5/5 stars
Wolfen Skill: 5/5 stars
Special: None

Got the stats from a FAQ

clowsui

Smash Legend
Wolf's health makes it so that you need two sniper shots to kill him.
He also has the highest speed allowing him to get the best weapons the fastest

He has the largest auto aim in vehicles

What is not broken about this guy, I'd like to know....

KosukeKGA

Smash Champion
Well, his skill in the Landmaster and Arwing aren't very good. I thought skill meant higher auto-aim targeting (bigger crosshairs).

clowsui

Smash Legend
Double post for the stage list:

Simple Map 1
Simple Map 2
Simple Map 3
Simple Map 4
Simple Map 5
Katina
Inner Sargasso
Outer Sargasso
Fichina
Sauria
Corneria
Space Station
Aparoid City
Zoness
Titania
Great Fox

derek.haines

Smash Ace
why play sfa if u can play halo. Its a superiorly made game that is much much more popular
That might have been the worst post I've ever seen, sorry.

I've never thought about playing Star Fox Assault competitively though... Seems like it could work...

motsalogeL

Smash Lord
Meh, its just a party game, and honestly this game doesnt deserve a competative scene, it would be better if we all forgot about it.

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
Just as long as Wolf was banned, it would be pretty balanced, My brother and I had this real badass thing where I would fly on the wing with a sniper iand pick people off below.
I have done that so many times, It's really cool. Well, until my brother either swerves to fast or keeps going straight and the plane does a turn around :ohwell:

Darkslash

Smash Master
why play sfa if u can play halo. Its a superiorly made game that is much much more popular
Well in Halo you don't have skill stats, HP or speed. You need to choice the right character with the right weapon. Kinda like Metroid Prime Hunters. Shadow Freezing FTW.

Any ways why is your Avatar Star Fox's ingame logo when you should have Master Chief if you think Halo is a better game? o_0

motsalogeL

Smash Lord
So what your saying is in Halo you have to use your own personal skill more than a bunch of stats on screen.

KosukeKGA

Smash Champion
<_< Um, no?

He's saying that the competitive aspect of SF:A is different from Halo. Geez.
---
Why exactly can it not be a good competitive game? Is there anything broken that ruins the games balance? No. Don't tell me it's also because of the "kiddy graphics" or that it's not up to date. If that's whatever is going on in that guy's head... LAWL

Seventh Sword

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1951-0055-5151
Halo sucks. Wolf > Master Chef. >.>; Are there any specific techs etcetera in SF:A that could qualify as competitive? I don't like the prospect of Wolf being the new Snake, but otherwise Assault could make a very decent competitive game.

motsalogeL

Smash Lord
*Facepalm* You people obviously know what your talking about and are not ignorant or biased in anyway at all.

talking_chicken

Smash Apprentice
Others are way ahead of you, guys. Granted, it's a much smaller community than we are (I think it's just a couple of guys), but they exist.

http://sfacorner.19.forumer.com/

With their rules, Wolf is banned, as are vehicles (because according to them, the game then revolves around vehicles, which I believe randomly spawn, similarly to why we ban items).

I think SFA has some competitive potential, but high level play just looks like a lot of jumping and dodging to me. Dunno.

Johnthegalactic

Smash Lord
Halo sucks. Wolf > Master Chef. >.>; Are there any specific techs etcetera in SF:A that could qualify as competitive? I don't like the prospect of Wolf being the new Snake, but otherwise Assault could make a very decent competitive game.
Riding on an Arwings wing at the least.
Getting in & out of Arwings to stop missile lock.
Some other stuff, I don't have the fun game, but played it alot.

Others are way ahead of you, guys.

http://sfacorner.19.forumer.com/

With their rules, Wolf is banned, as are vehicles (because according to them, the game then revolves around vehicles, which I believe randomly spawn, similarly to why we ban items).

I think SFA has some competitive potential, but high level play just looks like a lot of jumping and dodging to me. Dunno.
Vehicles hae fixed spawn points, and I think they add depth to the game.
So far, the people on those forums only number at five, so they are no huge group.

talking_chicken

Smash Apprentice
Vehicles hae fixed spawn points, and I think they add depth to the game.
So far, the people on those forums only number at five, so they are no huge group.
Maybe, but from their experience, they find vehicles to be overpowered because they're so much better than just the pilot, check here, and they've been playing since 2006, so I give them the benefit of the doubt. In my experience, the first person who got in a vehicle pretty much got a few free points here and there, and this was even when my brother and I play the "no locking on with landmasters because it's cheap" rule (There probably is a way around them, but it seemed really overpowered at the time). Remember, we ban final smashes even with the Item Standard Play rules because even though they may add depth to the game, they're still really overpowered for the person that gets them and the game would then revolve around who has the best final smash. This is a similar situation.

I'm just saying that there is a competitive scene, even if it's tiny. That's just on their forums, though. I think they have a few more here and there. Besides, they play the game a lot more than you or I do, so I gotta give them some credit.

I'm not sure why I'm defending a tiny competitive scene for a game I don't play often, and they'll probably never read this. Oh, well.

For some reason, I have the most fun in SFA multiplayer with Sniper only matches. Dogfights are also always fun for a while.

Johnthegalactic

Smash Lord
I do not own the game, and forgot how to get rid of landmastahs, but if you stayed in the cover until the rockets spawned, an Arwing would be good as gone.
That will slow the pace down a bit though.

clowsui

Smash Legend
Hey guys let's have some rules debate please? XD
We need to hold some tournaments so that we can try and run a big one as a side event at a Smash tournament!

-Big_-Blue 9

Smash Journeyman
SF:A was an awesome multi player game
Me, my bro and friends would play for more than 3 hours every time
never thought wolf would be top tier in SF... maybe I never played an awesome one
we usually did some fun FFA and Sniper only...
maybe it could work if it allowed certain items and only certain characters
And yes sniping on an arwing was the shiz, so were jetpacks
they should make the next SF's multiplayer more like this, of course, if they make one.

Top Bottom