• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Stage Information Database and Q&A

BSP

Smash Legend
Dammit,, :facepalm: this is difficult

Just ignore me for now, I need to think about this more...

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
The Japanese players' better performance could perhaps be explained by various factors, such as
-East Asians are smart lol
-Higher population density --> more people per region --> better practice for everyone
-Maybe not playing for money somehow gets you to improve faster than playing for money

I'm not saying that any of the above are definitely reasons for their better performance, but they're possibilities. Also, to attribute the Japanese players' better performance solely to the fact that their stagelist is more conservative is unjustified. By that logic the Europeans would have performed better than us as well, and they did pretty badly as a whole.

That last one was a good point.

Honestly, I just think it's their mindset and how they approach the game that puts them above everyone else. How they're able to "download" players Game 1 and beat them in the rest of the matches. I wish I knew how they could do that so fast.

BSP

Smash Legend
Yeah V115 and Kyo, I was jumping to conclusions way too fast :facepalm:

I thought about your last point too V115. You know, if they're just going for honor, winning on some janky stage wouldn't really get you anywhere, would it?

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
I think higher player density is the most important. It's the only way to (easily) maintain a strong, dedicated region.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Regarding stage lists, I think the Apex stage list is pretty good for competition. I do think that as far as practicing goes, people might want to focus on using the Japanese stage list.

Food for thought:

I got bored about about page 10, but I have an interesting point to bring up.

Did anyone else find it curious that Japan managed to adjust to stages that they do not see regularly in tournament? Oh sure they probably put some practice in on each, but we've got years on them, so going to Frigate should be the best idea ever, right? Right? (Not against Olimar it's not... lol purples).

If you guys didn't already know, I do a bit of education research and that involves some cognitive psychology. I'll probably mix up my terms here and there, but the point that follows still stands:

We should adapt Japan's stage list. If we do so, our skill on stages outside the big 3 will improve.

Wait... so not playing on the stages will make us better... right? Yes. People learn better under truncated (simplified) conditions. In chemistry, you learn the Bohr model of the atom (electrons like planets) before you learn about proper orbitals. In Smash, a smaller stage set will allow players to concentrate more on the skills required to control your character as opposed to the gimmicks present on a moving stage. When the movement, damage, and gimmick factors are removed, we will be forced to face the problems that we try to avoid via these stage traits. They will be slowly overcome through perseverance and training.

This will work because with less factors to consider, you will be within the zone of proximital development. This is a term that is used to describe the range of cognitive stress one can survive under when learning. If I play a set with M2K (and I have. And I got whopped), I won't learn much because everything is going WAY TOO FAST. This means that the match itself is outside my zone of proximital development.

The concept works with stage gimicks too. If I have to consider whatever it is M2K is doing to me AND all the funny tricks that are present in playing a match on Brinstar or Rainbow Cruise, then I have even less of a chance of learning something significant. So I have to reduce the 'stress' on my brain.

The correct response to this problem is a simplified system

In the end, I believe that the implementation a Japanese stage set (BF, FD, SV) will greatly benefit our community via the simplification of our competitive system. Do this, and our character control and knowledge will rise to the challenge when the Japanese decide to fly their very best over to hand us our egos on a silver platter once again.

Tesh

Smash Hero
USA just got blown up in Smash this weekend, I'm down for anything.

Honestly, I'm against any stage list slimmer than the Unity Ruleset (as in, I won't play on anything slimmer than that), but I do agree with what Tuen said. You gotta learn your fundamentals before you begin to mix and match.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
Well, just so you know, the japanese had much better control of their characters compared to the U.S. players. They pretty much wrecked shop.

Where do we get the fundamentals from? The starters, a.k.a. non janky stages. At this point, I think fundamentals > stage knowledge, and the Japanese showed that.

Just watch nietono play olimar. We've got to step our game up.

And Ocean beat M2K. ROB beat MK, and that's supposed to be one of his worst MUs.

zmx said it well IMO, we're so focused on the CP'ing system, that we neglect to get the basics and most important skills like character control down.

IDK exactly how conservative I'll go, but I don't think I'll be able to support PS2, Rainbow, and Brinstar anymore :urg: They detract focus from the fundamentals.
Believe me, I'd prefer to play only on neutrals.

I'm liberal because I support things because they make sense, not because I like them.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Oh, how much I hate MK discussions...
But I hate latinamercan MK discussions even more...

I went there to die alone and nobody could bring my arguments down, it was like going war with a tank and being beaten up with rocks and sticks.
All I wanted was a good reason and people treated me like the bad guy.
Worst.Experience.Ever.

John12346

Smash Master
NNID
JohnNumbers
I can't beat it, but I can get to level 13 out of 15 on Master Mode in Tetris Axis. ****'s insane, it just gets way too fast to keep up with...

For those of you who don't know, in Master Mode for most Tetris games, the blocks start at the bottom of the matrix, and you still get some time to move them around before they lock into place.

The scary part about this mode, however, is that as you start to increase in level, the amount of time you get to move the blocks around DECREASES; to an almost non-existent level when you get to the final levels. It turns into a complete mess unless you've got inhuman reaction skills.

T-block

B2B TST
the main idea is stacking as flat as possible... that lets the brain plan pieces in advance much more efficiently, allowing you to keep up with the speed. same with invisible... stacking flat lets you keep track of your stack much better (i still can't play invis worth **** though lol)

that vid is doubly impressive for me because it uses the Arika Rotation System, which is much less forgiving than the standard system found in most games today.

Judo777

Smash Master
I should come in here more often. you guys are cool. Also what I just watched was crazy.

Judo777

Smash Master
So would I just do something like this?

Judo
Name: Unknown......
Stance: Bonetti's Defense (lol)
Tier: Free
Mains: Sheik/Sheilda
Secondaries: Snake/GW
Favourite Stage(s): Battlefield and Norfair
Other: did you know you can turn pause off?
Personal Ruleset: not sure

So would I just do something like this?

Judo
Name: Unknown......
Stance: Bonetti's Defense (lol)
Tier: Free
Mains: :sheik: :sheilda:
Secondaries: :snake: :gw:
Favourite Stage(s): Battlefield and Norfair
Other: did you know you can turn pause off?
Personal Ruleset: not sure
This would be closer (added character icons). Welcome aboard!

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
That reminds me to update mine.

kyokoro_pamuyo
Name: People actually calls me Kyo
Stance: Ban only if proven broken.
Tier: Lurker
Mains: :metaknight:
Secondaries: :zelda: :sheilda: :marth: :dedede: :zerosuitsamus: :snake:
Favourite Stage: Pictochat 4evr!
Other: I'm not good at english debating...
Personal Ruleset: (working on it).

quick ruleset spoilers:
option 1: MK banned, 21 stages
option 2: MK allowed, 11 stages

btw, brainstorm time!
Is it a good idea to either characterlock and stage counterpick or stagelock and character counterpick?
It would be silly, and bad for stage diversity, but better than changing characters and striking twice or trice per set.
And slightly better than the standard system, imo...

I never really liked the idea of character/stage locking, so I'd say neither, even though I'm pretty biased lol.

Ghostbone

Smash Master
Instead of character locking you could try out stage counter-picks but double blind character picks or something.

I only now just realized that in a Japanese ruleset, we would be seeing Falco, ICs, Olimar, and Diddy Kong (some of our most popular characters) playing on FD a lot more often.

I feel kinda dumb for putting this together now, but I feel even worse about the thought of how ****ty Brawl must be to watch under a Japanese ruleset.

Top Bottom