• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

St.Louis Area Discussion Thread

MuBa

Smash Lord
Had a good time there. MMM again thanks for the smashfest you rock.

Toga: Nice to see you again.

Thinkaman: I hate the way you play in Brawl but you're cool.

Legan: Your Link is still awesome and I will be able to beat you in the future >=)

FutureWrestler: No johns. Get that car working and come over next time.

And to everyone else whom names I can't remember : GG guys.

Now that's out of the way. How much money should we bring for the Sept. 12-13 tourney?

MetalMusicMan

Sleepwalk our lives away.
No problem Muba, glad to host and play with ya :)

Thanks for coming guys, gg's all. Legan you only want me to stop maining Samus because you are AFRAID! bwahahahahaha.

Toga, good to meet you again. I feel better about my skills than the last time I played you like a year ago and got totally p-p-p-pwnt, lmfao.

Thinka, dude, I have two words for you: JIGG SPIKED. :p Good games as always.

I forgot your Zelda friend's name (sorry) but dude those "DO NOT WANT!" comments were cracking me up, lol.

Future man, you ****ing missed out on some awesome matches you bum. :p

Nuris

Smash Lord
Hey, I'm new here.
Does anyone play at Wash U? If so where & when? Where else do people play? Is there anything else people can tell me to help get me involved in this community? All help is appreciated.
Thanks!

Zig-Zag!

Smash Lord
Hey, I'm new here.
Does anyone play at Wash U? If so where & when? Where else do people play? Is there anything else people can tell me to help get me involved in this community? All help is appreciated.
Thanks!
1. Main a Low tier
2. Argue about Brawl vs Melee ad naseum
3. Talk a lot, but never actually go to/perform well in tournies
4. Play ABBA really loud at a drive thru window

darkatma

Smash Hero
Hey, I'm new here.
Thanks!
there are a handful of people who play competitive smash at washU
what are you interested in, 64, melee, or brawl?

or are you just that alex dude that lives in park?

Teh Future

Smash Master
*is sad that I didn't come yesterday*

I'm hoping to have a car by friday. If not then it'll probably be sometime in the weekend. So if you host next tuesday, I'll be there most likely.

GenoBlast

Smash Ace
If anyone else would like to go to the midwest circuit on the 12-13 let us know. Right now we got:

Thinka
Me
Muba(you better not bail out on us)

Its going to be pretty awesome guys, you shouldnt miss out.
If anyone else would like to go to the KC melee tournament on 10/18 let us know. Right now we got:

EVERYONE ELSE!!!

Its going to be pretty awesome guys, you shouldnt miss out. =)

MuBa

Smash Lord
And both tournaments are going to be awesome! Too bad half of you guys are biased nimrods who can't enjoy both games!

2-for-1 DOUBLE THE FUN!

Edit: I deleted the first line so that way things don't get too stupid around here =/

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Muba, what are you talking about?

Gah, it's like listening to politicians playing the race card, then accusing each other of playing the race card, and accusing each other of accusing each other of playing the race card.

Dekuschrub

Smash Master
there are too many people named alex associated with STL smash.

i guess i will continue to be known as deku, ultimate tier ***** of smash.

(btw i totally picked up snake and GnW to fill out my brawl top tier skittles... SO CHEAPPP!!!!)

i would actually be interested in the indiana tourney, do you think it would be possible to swing by champaign or somewhere close?

Nuris

Smash Lord
there are a handful of people who play competitive smash at washU
what are you interested in, 64, melee, or brawl?

or are you just that alex dude that lives in park?
No, I'm that dude who lives Mudd. I'm interested in all three, really. If I have people to play against I'm down.
I'm just worried about my game stagnating. I don't have anyone to play against and pwning computers just doesn't cut it.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
yay Deku the tier wh0re is at it again!

On a side note: I'll be learning Meta Knight in the near future! *joins the MK bandwagon*
If you actually wanted to beat my Jiggs, you would play Game & Watch...

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Don't forget the Kyle's. Thinkaman and Fred representin' and what-not...

Teh Future

Smash Master
bair...bair...bair...bair...grab+downsmash = instant win.

Actually if you want to be cheap just use olimar.

I swear, the games like 64. It's only semi-balanced because almost everyone is broken in some way or another.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
bair...bair...bair...bair...grab+downsmash = instant win.
Grab -> D-smash shouldn't work against anyone decent... Not that Game & Watch is hurting for other KO options though.

Actually if you want to be cheap just use olimar.
...what? Olimar is one of the more difficult characters to learn, even if the rewards are great. Most characters can cut through side-B spam easily and punish his slightly laggy moves, no matter how big his range is. Playing a smart, effective Olimar is not completely intuitive or easy.

I swear, the games like 64. It's only semi-balanced because almost everyone is broken in some way or another.
...what? 64 isn't like that at all, and neither is Brawl. On top of that, the phrase makes no sense to begin with.

64 was just plain broken. Pikachu was a demi-god and Kirby was like a lesser demi-god. The characters were so far apart in ability that it was like each character was in their own tier. ("Pikachu Tier", Kirby Tier", "Ness Tier"...) The bottom characters, who were outright terrible, weren't broken in any possible way.

Melee and Brawl don't have that at all... no character in either game is broken. A broken character means that they "break" the game because they are impossible to beat. Shiek and Fox are not broken in Melee, that's stupid. Meta Knight is not broken in Brawl. (And Snake DEFINITELY isn't...)

darkatma

Smash Hero
No, I'm that dude who lives Mudd. I'm interested in all three, really. If I have people to play against I'm down.
I'm just worried about my game stagnating. I don't have anyone to play against and pwning computers just doesn't cut it.
that's cool
i'm in eliot, we can play sometime
i play mostly melee though, mostly because i didn't bring my wii over from California.
I'm decently good at the game though, i'm sure i'd give you some good practice :p

Book!

Smash Journeyman
Hey Nuris, welcome to Wash U.

As atma said, there are a few of us that play. You should swing by Wheeler 3 at around 6pm on Friday. I hear Thinkaman is holding the first Smash Club meeting there. I really only play Melee, but 4-man Brawl is fine in short bursts.

See you around.

Legan

Smash Lord
there are too many people named alex associated with STL smash.

i guess i will continue to be known as deku, ultimate tier ***** of smash.

(btw i totally picked up snake and GnW to fill out my brawl top tier skittles... SO CHEAPPP!!!!)

i would actually be interested in the indiana tourney, do you think it would be possible to swing by champaign or somewhere close?
Hell yea you should come, Toga's gunna be driving and i think he can fit 3 in the backseat. We gotta check the route and see if we pass through champaign.
So now It's

me
think
toga
muba
deku?

Dekuschrub

Smash Master
actually i didnt know that tourney was the 13th..

i might not be able to go.

gimme the heads up if i can get a ride anyway and i'll see if i can make it

Teh Future

Smash Master
Grab ->
...what? Olimar is one of the more difficult characters to learn, even if the rewards are great. Most characters can cut through side-B spam easily and punish his slightly laggy moves, no matter how big his range is. Playing a smart, effective Olimar is not completely intuitive or easy.

...what? 64 isn't like that at all, and neither is Brawl. On top of that, the phrase makes no sense to begin with.

64 was just plain broken. Pikachu was a demi-god and Kirby was like a lesser demi-god. The characters were so far apart in ability that it was like each character was in their own tier. ("Pikachu Tier", Kirby Tier", "Ness Tier"...) The bottom characters, who were outright terrible, weren't broken in any possible way.

Melee and Brawl don't have that at all... no character in either game is broken. A broken character means that they "break" the game because they are impossible to beat. Shiek and Fox are not broken in Melee, that's stupid. Meta Knight is not broken in Brawl. (And Snake DEFINITELY isn't...)
For one, Olimar has the best moveset of anyone on the cast by far. His grab is completely broken, his everything is way too strong and way too quick. And then his recovery is the worst in the game. I'm sorry, but that's just terrible design on Nintendo's part, and it reeks of laziness. Pikachu is not broken at all in 64, in fact it isn't even that much better than other characters. Listen to Isai, and don't get hit. Smash 64 tiers less than in any other game in the series just because the slightest difference in skill = someone getting three stocked in a five stock match. Kirby just isn't that good at all, with DI his drill combos are almost useless, so you have to resort to n-air approaches most of the time. Saying the bottom character are "outright terrible" is stupid. the bottom characters in any smash game are terrible, but because of the way 64 is, people can still own with Link and samus (isai, AlanandPope, ect)

In brawl I don't think all but a couple characters have broken movesets (meta, G&W, Olimar imo) but that doesn't mean they are impossible to beat, it just means they are wayyy better when compared to other characters in most aspects. The reason you could still use falcon in 64 was because of his awesome spike combos and great speed. you could use Jiggs because of her rest combos. Every character in 64 had an ability others didn't, and I think it's nearly the same in brawl. Jiggs has amazing wall of pain, fox has upsmash of doom, ect.

Dekuschrub

Smash Master
ummm isnt there no DI in 64?

i actually dont know... lololol

also I dont think olimar is very good... i spank olimars.. just get that ledge baby

Teh Future

Smash Master
I agree, olimar isn't very good... when he's off the ledge. When he's on the stage it's completely stupid since none of his moves have any lag, they have great range, way too strong killing power, and are nearly unpunishable.

As for DI, it's very different in 64, but it's still there.

I was talking about slide DI, which can escape drills, whether it's kirby's dair or fair.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4813947748073614910

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
For one, Olimar has the best moveset of anyone on the cast by far. His grab is completely broken, his everything is way too strong and way too quick. And then his recovery is the worst in the game. I'm sorry, but that's just terrible design on Nintendo's part, and it reeks of laziness.
...Olimar, a middle tier character, has the best moveset? No. Olimar has the best grab in the game, but it is far from broken. It is only really amazing with Blue anyway... Red and Yellow are just really good, White is very fast but has TERRIBLE throws... Purple has the strongest throw in the game (u-throw) but isn't a terrible grab compared to the others...

The flaw in all of Olimar's grab is the duration of them. Aerials can easily punish a whiffed Olimar grab... All of his smashes are the same way. His strong, fast, disjointed aerials seem unbeatable, but they all follow the SAME weakness as everything else he does, long ending lag.

If a character like Wario misses an attack, he usually doesn't care; when Olimar misses, he is going to get hit. Olimar isn't as bad as the likes of really heavy slow characters, but Olimar is light and has AWFUL recovery... normally light characters have good/great recovery and attacks that are hard to punish... Instead, Olimar has power and damage.

Olimar is one of the best balanced characters in brawl, as he has extreme advantages and extreme disadvantages that end up resulting in a character right in the middle of the pack, neither overpowering the other to break him either way.

Wait, you main Jigglypuff... why are you ever getting grabbed anyway?

MuBa

Smash Lord
Lol I remembered back then people use to say Olimar is top tier material.

Also I'm having a crap load of trouble finding another character to learn. Snake and ROB while they are good it's just that their aerials are not fast and safe like some other characters are (like Wario, all thanks to his amazing DIs). At one time I'm like OH IM GONNA USE METAKNIGHT and other it's like TOON LINK YEYAHZ!

Got any suggestions Thinkaman other than G&W?

The_Loki

Smash Apprentice
1. Main a Low tier
2. Argue about Brawl vs Melee ad naseum
3. Talk a lot, but never actually go to/perform well in tournies
4. Play ABBA really loud at a drive thru window
Make sure you go to the wrong drive through window by accident for #4... It adds another layer of awesome.

For one, Olimar has the best moveset of anyone on the cast by far. His grab is completely broken, his everything is way too strong and way too quick. And then his recovery is the worst in the game. I'm sorry, but that's just terrible design on Nintendo's part, and it reeks of laziness. Pikachu is not broken at all in 64, in fact it isn't even that much better than other characters. Listen to Isai, and don't get hit. Smash 64 tiers less than in any other game in the series just because the slightest difference in skill = someone getting three stocked in a five stock match. Kirby just isn't that good at all, with DI his drill combos are almost useless, so you have to resort to n-air approaches most of the time. Saying the bottom character are "outright terrible" is stupid. the bottom characters in any smash game are terrible, but because of the way 64 is, people can still own with Link and samus (isai, AlanandPope, ect)

In brawl I don't think all but a couple characters have broken movesets (meta, G&W, Olimar imo) but that doesn't mean they are impossible to beat, it just means they are wayyy better when compared to other characters in most aspects. The reason you could still use falcon in 64 was because of his awesome spike combos and great speed. you could use Jiggs because of her rest combos. Every character in 64 had an ability others didn't, and I think it's nearly the same in brawl. Jiggs has amazing wall of pain, fox has upsmash of doom, ect.
DISCLAIMER : The above quote is 100% opinion and is not based on fact or reality.

Top Bottom