• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

St.Louis Area Discussion Thread

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Lol I remembered back then people use to say Olimar is top tier material.
On the way back from Ann Arbor, we had a discussion on how many characters in Brawl have at some point been considered top tier:

Mario: Before release.
Luigi: Immediately after Japanese release.
Bowser: Before release.
Diddy: Immediately after Japanese release.
Wario: Current US Tourney Results.
Toon Link: Immediately after US release.
Zamus: Immediately after Japanese release.
ICs: Immediately after chain grab discovery.
ROB: Current SBR Tier List.
Meta Knight: Current SBR Tier List.
DeDeDe: Current SBR Tier List.
Olimar: Immediately after US release.
Fox: Some previous Japanese rankings.
Falco: Current SBR Tier List.
Wolf: Immediately after Japanese release.
Marth: Immediately after US release.
G&W: Current SBR Tier List.
Snake: Current SBR Tier List.

If you are interested, go look at Yuna's trainwreck of a thread discussing balance in Brawl; at the beginning, everyone is yelling about how broken Marth, Olimar, and Toon Link are. Today, Marth is merely high tier and the others are mid-tier... of course, that means the complainers will just move to saying Meta Knight and Snake are broken. It'll be the same thing all over again though; heck, Snake is already on the way down. It's hilarious really, just like how Shiek was "unbeatable" in Melee, or how at first people though Link's Up-b made him broken... lulz.

Got any suggestions Thinkaman other than G&W?

FOREVER.
Also, Yoshi counters Meta Knight.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Oh, I agree. Meta Knight's strong aerial game and fantastic specials (plus good d-smash) will keep him a good character no matter what develops. He's just a solid character with no easily exploitable weaknesses.

While Snake's power-to-speed ratio combined with his high weight will keep him a strong character as well, everyone is finding out how to deal with Snake's approach options and how to maximize punishment when he is in the air. Throws or anything that can control Snake's position can seriously mess him up. People with fast pummels can grab release snake off the side if he gets close to the edge for an easy gimp. (I mean, they still have to jump out there and spike him obviously, the pummel release only puts him low off the stage...)

SamDvds

Smash Ace
hey guys just letting u know if there is a smashfest at geno's this friday it will be my last one for a while...i got an internship with a PR firm in L.A. so im gonna be reppin the west coast for a lil bit ;)

MetalMusicMan

Sleepwalk our lives away.
On the way back from Ann Arbor, we had a discussion on how many characters in Brawl have at some point been considered top tier:

Mario: Before release.
Luigi: Immediately after Japanese release.
Bowser: Before release.
Diddy: Immediately after Japanese release.
Wario: Current US Tourney Results.
Toon Link: Immediately after US release.
Zamus: Immediately after Japanese release.
ICs: Immediately after chain grab discovery.
ROB: Current SBR Tier List.
Meta Knight: Current SBR Tier List.
DeDeDe: Current SBR Tier List.
Olimar: Immediately after US release.
Fox: Some previous Japanese rankings.
Falco: Current SBR Tier List.
Wolf: Immediately after Japanese release.
Marth: Immediately after US release.
G&W: Current SBR Tier List.
Snake: Current SBR Tier List.

If you are interested, go look at Yuna's trainwreck of a thread discussing balance in Brawl; at the beginning, everyone is yelling about how broken Marth, Olimar, and Toon Link are. Today, Marth is merely high tier and the others are mid-tier... of course, that means the complainers will just move to saying Meta Knight and Snake are broken. It'll be the same thing all over again though; heck, Snake is already on the way down. It's hilarious really, just like how Shiek was "unbeatable" in Melee, or how at first people though Link's Up-b made him broken... lulz.
A great and intelligent post and exactly the kind of thing I try to tell people whenever they ***** about tiers (whether it's high or low) and use tiers as an excuse to not play a character.

Great post man.

Extremenerd

Smash Apprentice
Hey geno, can you post your adress again? I haven't been there in a LONG time....and even then it was only once. I want to get back into the scene

SamDvds

Smash Ace
woah cool :p
LA is really fun
wait so does this mean you aren't going to KC for the darkrain tourney?
im probably gonna fly straight in to KC that weekend, unless something comes up in LA, but i'll ask for it off in advance

MuBa

Smash Lord
Alright I'm going to assume that 4 people are going to the Indiana tournament next Friday.

The whole trip is going to be about 800 miles (going and returning). Let's say Toga's car is avg. 20 miles/ gallon with a 12 gallon tank which makes...240 miles/tank (About $50 per fill-up)

So for gas expenses may be up to $200...dividing by 4...wow we may have to cough up $50 each person just for gas =/

I really hope Deku and somebody else goes with us.

....Makes me wonder how much it costed each person for the Florida trip. o_O;

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
1. Your math is wrong.
2. Toga's car runs on sunshine and rainbows, not gasoline.
3. did u guys here ken is on sirvivor

MuBa

Smash Lord
...I am going to assume that Thinkaman is a schizophrenic who goes to Wash U. as a patient being studied in the department of psychology (and is very good at Brawl)...

And where do we fill Toga's tank at? Toys R' Us?

Togaboy

Smash Apprentice
1. I need to play smash today. like now. now.
2. My car has a 16 gal tank and gets ~40-45 mpg (although slightly less I suspect--maybe 38mpg ish-- with a full car). It runs on diesel which costs approx $4.00/gal now. According to the Math(s) of the universe(s), e should be able to drive, at a very very low minimum, 500 miles on one tank.
3. According to some information given in (2), and given the worst possible circumstances, we would have to fill up my car twice, which would cost ~$128 total. Divided by 5 people, this would come to about $26 per person for gas.
4. (3) presents a great underestimate of my car's abilities. 3 assumes I can only get 410 miles per tank. With a slightly better underestimate, seen in (2), we can drive 500 miles per tank. Thus we'd only have to fill up ~80% of the tank either way. 80% of the estimated maximum cost from (3) is ~$103 ==> ~$20 per person for gas.
5. By the power of my optimism and the high of having a new car, my guess is $18 for gas, total (est 38mpg or ~600mi/tank, $4/gal).
6. Hope my math is okay.
7. I need to smash today. like now.

MuBa

Smash Lord
Awesome. Your car is a lot better than I thought. Most cars that I've seen have like 20-25 mpg in their tanks (namely mine =/).

And Thinkaman my math isn't wrong...I was just overestimating gas prices ($4.25 average) and underestimating Toga's mile per gallon and fuel tank ratio.

MuBa

Smash Lord
Can we fit enough people in the car for Deku? Considering the people that are riding are at LEAST 6 feet other than me =/

Oh yea another thing, can you guys pick me up? I'm like prolly 20 miles away from Wash U. (Ballwin)

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Wash U.

Wheeler 3.

6:00 pm.

Geno, bring my melee disc.

Atma, bring my controllers.

Random6669

Smash Apprentice
Did I hear Melee? Where and when?

THINK-A-MAN PICK UP YOUR PHONE!!!

also get back to me on where I need to go tonight to hang out with you guys and game and stuff...

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
YEYAHZ! Now open up that Wii and mod the motha****a!
...what? No. Controller spring mods.

Did I hear Melee? Where and when?

THINK-A-MAN PICK UP YOUR PHONE!!!

also get back to me on where I need to go tonight to hang out with you guys and game and stuff...
My phone has no signal. I literally *did* pick it up. Google maps wash u, or call geno for directions. I have class...

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
also, random is awesome
I like how in Brawl they gave him his own spot on the character select screen; in Melee you could only do random by putting it on Sonic or Tails' spots before you unlocked them. :(

edit: also i herd ken is on sirvivor

Top Bottom