• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

St.Louis Area Discussion Thread

TP

Smash Master
All I know is that I've never been able to approach you when you've had a platform above you, and I don't see why Pirate Ship would be any better.

Cook

Smash Master
It think you just d-air people into oblivion, but I'm not sure. I believe either Inferno or Affinity was the one who told me about it?

Man, without anyone here to play with I decided to try playing against the computer today. It's actually pretty fun with MK because they let you gimp them so easily! :psycho: Too bad humans don't always air dodge as soon as they get hit, actually DI f-air so they don't die offstage at like 70, and let me hit them with every move I ever want to use offstage...

MetalMusicMan

Sleepwalk our lives away.
I will never have Pirate Ship or YI:M legal at any of my practice tournaments, lmfao :p

Next Tuesday though, I will probably test out:

Starter

* Battlefield
* Yoshi's Island
* Smashville
* Lylat Cruise
* Pokémon Stadium
* Final Destination
* Castle Siege

Counterpick

* Luigi's Mansion
* Norfair
* Frigate Orpheon
* Pokémon Stadium 2
* Port Town Aero Dive
* Distant Planet
* Pictochat
* Jungle Japes
* Rainbow Cruise
* Green Greens
* Brinstar
* Delfino Plaza
* Halberd

I might end up getting rid of Luigi's and Norfair after testing. Maybe Green Greens too. We'll see.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I never understood why people had problems with norfair. It was legal in texas for a long time and I never saw any dumb matches on it when the people knew how to play the stage.

MetalMusicMan

The only problem that I have with Norfair is the lava flares. I love all of the rest of the lava. The side, full screen, and bottom lava is just great. Those flares can spawn 3-4 at a time and take up the entire screen and kill you at a really low percent. It's rare, but it can happen. It actually happened in one of the videos that I uploaded from the Gay stages tournament.

I just don't like that possibility. I have no problem with anything else about the stage, personally.

Sage JoWii

Smash Champion
NNID
G0J0J0
I never understood why people had problems with norfair. It was legal in texas for a long time and I never saw any dumb matches on it when the people knew how to play the stage.
^ THIS.

>_> I've played in enough TX tournaments that I thought this was already a normal CP that everyone agreed on.

Nuris

Smash Lord
in 1803 several months after the champion kirsh d'nang slayed cthulu of nergbor, the federal narwhal association placed a ban on themselves for being two awesome. from henceforth all facial sword licenses were revoked and people hunting banned from all of them lands.

today marks the 200th anniversary of the last human condemned legally under narwhal law, a sacrifice stabbed repeatedly for the 12 day narwhal festival of lights and sabers.

three years ago a boy named simpson walked up and down elm street searching for his lucky rock. he found it.

MetalMusicMan

It's really not that bad, I'm not disagreeing with you. I think the lava flares are less than desirable, but as I already said I'll likely be giving the full range of stages a chance for a good amount of time. Some may be removed or they may not. Just depends on results.

Tmacc

Smash Lord
Will, you said you are gonna try the full range if stages. But you said it won't include Pirate Ship or YI:M. I think you should include them at least for a bit and see how it goes. I deinately want to mess around on YI:M. Since I have pretty much never played on it...except last night when I played a bit on it.

TP

Smash Master
Planking on Norfair is about as clever as using mayonnaise as the "bread" of your sandwich: you technically can do it, but almost every other option is superior.

FightAdamantEevee

Smash Lord
It's a good thing I'm lucas and have silly advantages on silly stages. : D Norfair's actually my favorite cp too. So hide ya kids. Hide ya wife. And hide ya Metaknight cause I be rapin errbody over there.

Sage JoWii

Smash Champion
NNID
G0J0J0
>_> If you knew how dumb of a stage that is with people like DDD, MK and the like you'd know that all the reasoning needed.

MetalMusicMan

Will, you said you are gonna try the full range if stages. But you said it won't include Pirate Ship or YI:M. I think you should include them at least for a bit and see how it goes. I deinately want to mess around on YI:M. Since I have pretty much never played on it...except last night when I played a bit on it.
We can definitely give them a try. Honestly, almost no one in STL ever has. A lot of players in our scene are just as narrowminded as EC and it's really annoying. People don't even give things a chance.

People who know me ought to know me well enough that I'm pretty moderate on stages. I don't like super crazy stage lists but I don't like super plain ones either.

There is nothing wrong with us experimenting with a full stage list a few times, it's all practice anyway. Unfortunately, I'm sure some people will overreact and be pissed about it, but again, it's all practice.

Planking on Norfair is about as clever as using mayonnaise as the "bread" of your sandwich: you technically can do it, but almost every other option is superior.
Yeah. Planking on Norfair doesn't work at all. People who say otherwise have no idea what they are talking about.

It's a good thing I'm lucas and have silly advantages on silly stages. : D Norfair's actually my favorite cp too. So hide ya kids. Hide ya wife. And hide ya Metaknight cause I be rapin errbody over there.
You don' hafta come n' confess, we lookin' fa you. We gon' find you, we gon' find you. So you can run an' tell that, run an' tell that, HOMEBOY! HOOOoooOOoOOooOOomeboy!

>_> If you knew how dumb of a stage that is with people like DDD, MK and the like you'd know that all the reasoning needed.
Pirate ship is only actually bad because of Rudder Camping and, in my opinion, the bombs (which are much worse than any other stage hazzard in terms of time to react / ability to see them coming). Pirate ship isn't nearly as bad as YI:M though, imo.

We can definitely test both of them as legal though in some practice tournaments. They're CP's anyway. The neutral list is still going to be the same, which a lot of people seem to forget before they decide to flip out.

...but more importantly, for those of you who aren't keeping up with Pierce's "chatting with the BBR" topic:

There's nothing stopping us from making a 3.1, and in fact I think that's on the works in the BBR right now.
:) there's always more goodness on the horizon, the best is yet to come. The BBR is not going to be following the old policy of only updating like once a year, I can tell you that for sure.

Cook

Smash Master
Why do people still think that Norfair is good for planking?
Oh, it's not the planking that would **** me, it's shuttle loop+being in the air the whole time.

We can definitely give them a try. Honestly, almost no one in STL ever has. A lot of players in our scene are just as narrowminded as EC and it's really annoying. People don't even give things a chance.
Whatever, nerd, I've given every stage a chance. Every ******** stage that you guys are talking about I've actually played on IN TOURNAMENT. Including Yoshi's Island Melee (I actually picked that stage and beat Clel's MK :laugh: but it was still ********). I used to CP Pirate Ship, but it's so bad.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
I agree that we should do a tournament next Tuesday using the new rules. Pirate Ship should be legal for it, so I can take people to Norfair with Ganon at last (unless you guys are actually nice enough to let me go to Ship with Ganon).
Remember that time you took me to Pirate Ship and did 17% to me?

Also DID SOMEONE SAY NORFAIR?!?!

TP

Smash Master
Yes, Kyle, I am aware that you destroyed me on Pirate Ship. That was a year and a half ago. Congratulations.

Cook

Smash Master
Hey TP, remember when you were like "I'd much rather fight an MK with Ganon than fight Olimar with Ganon!" And then I fought you with MK and you did like 17%? I think the level was Battlefield.

TP

Smash Master
Cook, you are the only MK I've ever faced (which is quite a few) that knows how to properly edgeguard Ganon, besides myself. As soon as you took my first stock, I knew I was ****ed.

Nuris

Smash Lord
how do you teach someone who's never played smash before to play the games?

Cook

Smash Master
Cook, you are the only MK I've ever faced (which is quite a few) that knows how to properly edgeguard Ganon, besides myself. As soon as you took my first stock, I knew I was ****ed.
Lol, that's pretty sad because I suck offstage. I was just like "I bet d-air kills Ganon!" And then I killded Ganon with d-air. And now I do it a lot. It's fun.

Radium88

Smash Lord
Yay Midwest represent!

So when I visited TX a few weeks ago, I heard about their PR and how it's set up. UTDZac devised a program where it ranks everybody just by putting the TiO file into it. I think it's a good program because from what I've understood is that it ranks you depending on who you beat not really placing. I think that's legit because who cares if you keep getting 1st place if the only tournies you go to are scrub tournies. So I've talked to him and he said he's still tweaking it to be used outside of TX but once he does I'm going to start placing TiO files. I think I'm going to add HD 1, SLAST, and Future's monthlies firsts. Maybe Joker's too. But if anybody thinks this is a good idea and wants to suggest some tournies, then PM me. I don't know when I'll have the program but I can start asking TOs for their files.

If this starts to cause too much drama or people really dislike it, then I'll stop but I want to promote people to go to more tournies or possibly have more tournies. If things go well, I might make it into a KSIAMO PR since there are like only a few of us who actually go to more than 1 tourney a year.

Nuris

Smash Lord
i still play melee
but how do you teach smash to a total beginner of video games who just tries to button mash

Top Bottom