• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

St.Louis Area Discussion Thread

Nuris

Smash Lord
Who likes Tetris?

Binyan let's have a quick study break tomorrow! Your place? I will teach you how to play Megaman 9 or X or LttP!

TP

Smash Master
You guys have no idea how much time I have put into FF3 (6). That game got me out of a depression and changed my life, so I returned the favor by dumping an insane amount of time into it. ^_^

I'm currently playing it for a couple hours a day on my computer, even though I own two perfectly good SNESes.

:034:

Fino

Smash Master
Hey, are any of you planning on going to the first MW-E circuit event? I'm really interested in going, however travel money is a little tight for me so I thought I'd ask you all since you would be on the way. My car isn't very gas-efficient, but use-able if there isn't another car to use. If there is could I catch a ride up there? lol.

~Fino

GenoBlast

Smash Ace
So is anything going on tomorrow and by that I mean is Phil going to be at wash U and able to play Snes games till forever?

also, anyone interested in going to six flags this Friday. I've got to go 5 more times by the end of the season to get my $36 worth.

darkatma

Smash Hero
You guys have no idea how much time I have put into FF3 (6). That game got me out of a depression and changed my life, so I returned the favor by dumping an insane amount of time into it. ^_^

I'm currently playing it for a couple hours a day on my computer, even though I own two perfectly good SNESes.

i bet i spent more time on it
Celes is my absolute favorite character ever.
also, snow duchess has an amazing alt ending to it

Dekuschrub

Smash Master
hahaha wait you guys like that little *** you get from the grass or whatever?

Celes is pretty cool... but everyone knows that gogo is the most hilarious.

alt-F4

Smash Ace
So is anything going on tomorrow and by that I mean is Phil going to be at wash U and able to play Snes games till forever?

also, anyone interested in going to six flags this Friday. I've got to go 5 more times by the end of the season to get my $36 worth.
I thought it was sunday? i can go on friday too, but i bet we could get more people on the weekend. either way i am in just let me know.

Nuris

Smash Lord
Tomorrow Chris/Mentok wanted to host. He's near Hanley station. I want to speedrun LttP, maybe some Super Mario World.

Dekuschrub

Smash Master
i play dota and hon thinkman

ALSO GOOD NEWS

overswarms brawl circuit has custom stages!!! aren't you embarrassed by the game you play? Even if you aren't I have enough anger for all of us.

GJ ON A BALLSACK SEQUEL SAKURAI OMFG I HATE YOU

_glook

Got a Passion for Smashin'
Well, maybe they're only community approved custom stages. Who knows, this could be a great opportunity for the game to get some balanced stagework.

alt-F4

Smash Ace
we are already 1/20 th to 20,000, everyone get you stupid comments in before its too late.

Nuris

Smash Lord
I dunno, I might be really tired tomorrow and want to take a nap. But call me at like 6 or so to wake me up and we can go do whatever.

I went to the Village today and played smash with some group of people (I think they were IEEE, some engineers or something). It was lame because it was on a plasma and was ffa. It was fun owning n00bs though lol especially since no one else wanted to play! :(

GenoBlast

Smash Ace
I thought it was sunday? i can go on friday too, but i bet we could get more people on the weekend. either way i am in just let me know.
Wow......I'm ********, I totally meant Sunday. But yeah, do you think you can make Corey go? If anyone is interested (and you all should be) we'll prolly meet at around noonish on SUNDAY.

Oh, and Binyan has to go. He doesn't get a say in it. =P

GenoBlast

Smash Ace
Lol, I cant believe they made a new SSB64 tier list. That game is only like a bazillion years old.

Yes Binyan get all your work done Friday so you can go to Six Flags on Sunday =) =) =).

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
The Brawl custom stages OS is using has been in testing at tourneys for over a year. We played on them at WTON a year ago. Shame they didn't keep the one that was like Norfair without ledges, since it was an absurdly unfair advantage for aerial characters. >_>

What is wrong with custom stages that people have agreed on? How is that any different from agreeing on which CPs to use? It's not like OS said "lol guys I made these TOTALLY COOL custom stages the other day that are SUPER AWESOME so my tourneys are gonna use them!!11" anymore than I said "lol guys I made these TOTALLY COOL character buffs the other day that are SUPER AWESOME so my tourneys are gonna use them!!11".

Overswarm has been testing these stages at eastern Midwest events, and has collected the input from players at those events, such as me and Legan. Meanwhile, anyone complaining, where were you?

Dekuschrub

Smash Master
oh no you got me all wrong! I think its great for brawl tourneys to have custom stages! Espescially with master genius OS at the helm, and the pro input of godly players such as thinkaman and legan!

soon you can be like my 10 year old cousins and use stages like "the box." guess what that is!?

you guys barely dodged the metaknight bullet but its only a matter of time before items become legal LOLOLOLOLOL

Nuris

Smash Lord
I have so much love for Deku right now, I don't even know why lol. That's not even saying I agree with him, I just want to have his troll babies. No homo.

didn't ness used be like 3rd or something in SSb64?
Yeah, it used to be...

Pikachu
Kirby
Ness
-----
Fox
Falcon
-------
everyone else...

That was back when people thought his DJC stuff was uber goldly broken. The demotion was largely because of his lack of an approach and sub-par recovery. This is purely speculation, I'm actually not very knowledgeable of SSB64 lol.

Also can I say how I love St. Louis much for staying up all night haha. If this were like a chat room I think my life would end.

Mr. Doom

Smash Hero
NNID
MrDoom8000
Yeah, it used to be...

Pikachu
Kirby
Ness
-----
Fox
Falcon
-------
everyone else...

That was back when people thought his DJC stuff was uber goldly broken. The demotion was largely because of his lack of an approach and sub-par recovery. This is purely speculation, I'm actually not very knowledgeable of SSB64 lol.
I still play that game from time to time, actually. I even have, like, a day's worth of smash recorded on several video cassette tapes.

Lixivium

Smash Champion
oh no you got me all wrong! I think its great for brawl tourneys to have custom stages! Espescially with master genius OS at the helm, and the pro input of godly players such as thinkaman and legan!

soon you can be like my 10 year old cousins and use stages like "the box." guess what that is!?

you guys barely dodged the metaknight bullet but its only a matter of time before items become legal LOLOLOLOLOL
IMO items should always have been legal in every Smash game (except a few things like Stars or Hammers)

BTW when are people going to Jebus' place today? I will go sometime after 5 PM.

TP

Smash Master
The Brawl custom stages OS is using has been in testing at tourneys for over a year. We played on them at WTON a year ago. Shame they didn't keep the one that was like Norfair without ledges, since it was an absurdly unfair advantage for aerial characters. >_>

What is wrong with custom stages that people have agreed on? How is that any different from agreeing on which CPs to use? It's not like OS said "lol guys I made these TOTALLY COOL custom stages the other day that are SUPER AWESOME so my tourneys are gonna use them!!11" anymore than I said "lol guys I made these TOTALLY COOL character buffs the other day that are SUPER AWESOME so my tourneys are gonna use them!!11".

Overswarm has been testing these stages at eastern Midwest events, and has collected the input from players at those events, such as me and Legan. Meanwhile, anyone complaining, where were you?
4:21? Really? THREE HOURS after you were "too tired to play smash."

Hmph.

MetalMusicMan

Sleepwalk our lives away.
Items should definitely not be legal. I don't even think it's worth starting a conversation on that topic.

Custom Stages should be allowed on a per-tournament basis if a TO chooses, but they definitely should not be standardized. Mostly it's a dumb idea, but if someone wants to host a tournament with Custom Stages and the players agree to it, I suppose it's their right.

People have the option to play BBrawl, they have the option to play Brawl+, they should have the option to play Custom Stages. I'll just laugh and look away while they all tell me that their little slice will "revolutionize Brawl as we know it!" :p

Putting Custom Stages into the stock ruleset would be about as dumb as putting custom Brawl codes that alter gameplay into the standard ruleset.

Altering the game in those fashions only serves to discourage new players from picking up the game even further. Smash is already a small community that has difficulty holding itself together in a lot of areas. It's a terrible idea to assume that any mod will somehow "bring the community together" or "make more people play". This could not be further from the truth.

As a community, we compete with the other fighters to draw in new players. Every other fighting game is more accessible and looks better on paper than Smash. A new player is already taking a huge step to put forth the effort to come to Smashboards and learn about all of the existing rules and practices that the community enforces. They are already taking a huge step to put effort into learning tactics and bettering themselves as a player. They have to do all of that before they can even begin to realize how good the game is.

Most players don't give the game a chance to begin with, and of the few that do, they usually drop it because of stupid crap like this preventing the community from amounting to anything worthwhile.

Yet, all of these modders and hackers seem to think that somehow, forcing that person to HACK THEIR WII AND INSTALL CUSTOM CODES or spend hours looking at diagrams to create custom stages will increase our user base? Ridiculous.

If we are trying to focus on growing our community, these actions will have the opposite affect... for some reason, people don't realize that.

Top Bottom