• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

St.Louis Area Discussion Thread

Chezzles

Smash Journeyman
Ok, I promised myself to stay out of internet discussions because they make no sense and are stupid, but I read this and have to sound off.

First of all,
Putting Custom Stages into the stock ruleset would be about as dumb as putting custom Brawl codes that alter gameplay into the standard ruleset.

Altering the game in those fashions only serves to discourage new players from picking up the game even further. Smash is already a small community that has difficulty holding itself together in a lot of areas. It's a terrible idea to assume that any mod will somehow "bring the community together" or "make more people play". This could not be further from the truth.
WTF? You're saying that to expand the fanbase we need to do the same things we are currently doing that aren't expanding the fan base? We shouldn't even try anything new? Implementing a reasonable stage will contribute to the fragmentation of the Smash community? Honestly? I'm not weighing in as to whether or not I approve of custom stages, but there is no logic in this.

And somehow custom Brawl codes are driving people away from playing smash? On this one, you are wrong. After going to my first legit Brawl tournament this summer, I decided to stop playing Brawl competitively because it was stupid. Then, I played Balanced Brawl, and I now want to play both Balanced and Normal Brawl competitively. Let me say this again, it was a custom coded Brawl that changed my mind. What you just said was wrong.

As for other fighters, it is wrong to assume that we are "competing" with them. If anything, Smash has opened me up to wanting to play other fighters, but not to replace it or anything like that. It's entirely possible that people play more than one game competitively; in fact, I'd argue that it teaches you versatility in your fighting style and increases your strategic abilities in any game. Smash isn't an all or nothing game. People can be good at more than one thing at any given time.

Also, you said that custom codes and stages will discourage new players from playing, but then talked about Smash's small fragmentary community. I don't think you actually made a point either way.

No hate, I just like critiquing arguments :)

MentokJebus

Smash Journeyman
tl;dr the last few posts

Anyways, how many people, and when can I expect people to come over to smash?

Book!

Smash Journeyman
deku > brawl

not sure if i can come today. plz call me when you're heading out, phil.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
I just had the most bizzare dream about a series finale of Dr. Who.

Note: I've never seen Dr. Who and don't know anything about it.

Nuris

Smash Lord
long post
Custom stages aren't the same as codes. Primarily because they are programmed into the game, and you're not forcing anyone to hack their Wii. Yeah, it would probably be silly if Brawl standardized them, and would probably hurt recruiting rates. But whether custom stages would discourage new players isn't really my point. I just wanted to point out that Custom Stages completely different from Brawl mods, you can't really compare the two like you did. I mean, how long would it really take to make a Custom version of Final Destination out of a few bricks?

I also want to point out that mods of games can become [semi]standard (DotA, CS, etc.). The way Brawl itself is set up coupled with the community it has, I don't see mods ever becoming that popular. However, it is something to think about.

long post
I think as Will will tell you in more words than I that you are missing his point. He was probably referring to say, the 12 year old who beats all his friends and is considering getting into competitive smash. There are a lot of those, and if we standardize a system where you have to significantly change your console just to play it, let alone learn/get a feel for all the nuances of the slightly different version, it will more than likely hurt our chances of converting that little guy. This isn't to say that mods hurt the community, or even that tournaments held using mods hurt it either, just that standardizing it over the entire community therein pressuring new and old players alike to use them would.

I still play that game from time to time, actually. I even have, like, a day's worth of smash recorded on several video cassette tapes.
Yeah I heard something about you playing Future. We should play sometime.

TO ALL MELEE PEOPLES:
DISREGARD THAT I EAT KWACS

I will probably be napping, someone gimme a call around 6 or 7 if you want a ride to a place for a smash.

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
I have so much love for Deku right now, I don't even know why lol. That's not even saying I agree with him, I just want to have his troll babies. No homo.

Yeah, it used to be...

Pikachu
Kirby
Ness
-----
Fox
Falcon
-------
everyone else...

That was back when people thought his DJC stuff was uber goldly broken. The demotion was largely because of his lack of an approach and sub-par recovery. This is purely speculation, I'm actually not very knowledgeable of SSB64 lol.

Also can I say how I love St. Louis much for staying up all night haha. If this were like a chat room I think my life would end.
once ness goes offstage, he has basically lost a stock, i think thats why he got lowered
also to all the people who play smash 64 going to no koast, i wanna play you all :)

Fino

Smash Master
That was back when people thought his DJC stuff was uber goldly broken. The demotion was largely because of his lack of an approach and sub-par recovery. This is purely speculation, I'm actually not very knowledgeable of SSB64 lol.
No, you're right. If ness comes back on stage, you made a lot of mistakes. lol (it's that bad).
once ness goes offstage, he has basically lost a stock, i think thats why he got lowered
also to all the people who play smash 64 going to no koast, i wanna play you all :)
FML, I play ness..... but I agree with stealth... needs moar ssb64 at no koast ;)

~Fino

Nuris

Smash Lord
lol maybe I will go to nokoast just to rock some 64
or maybe someone will teach me the brawl metagame (read: metaknight) haha

Book!

Smash Journeyman
sounds like me and binyan need a ride over. or i could just take metrolink i guess. alex, can i have a ride home when you leave? i don't want to stay too late.

Teh Future

Smash Master
Phil I think some people were talking about doing a side tourney for smash64 there, but idk I haven't looked at the thread in a while.

Fino if you let anyone who isn't pikachu back on stage in smash64, then you're doing it wrong (lol its that bad).

Seriously smash64 is soooooooooooooo bad.

and awesome at the same time :D

I don get it

GenoBlast

Smash Ace
So Steve, I think it would be best to meet at Wash U at 12 Sunday. Think you can do that? Also, 314 413 1251 if you need to call me.

alt-F4

Smash Ace
So Steve, I think it would be best to meet at Wash U at 12 Sunday. Think you can do that? Also, 314 413 1251 if you need to call me.
where do you wanna meet down there? I dont really expect it to be a problem, i just dont know the area very well.

alt-F4

Smash Ace
I certainly haven't been hahhaa
You're such a ****, but I love you. I love a ****, im not a meatlover. But I love Deku the ****.

i got like mad identity crisis right now

^This is Legan btw, im sure steve feels the same

Teh Future

Smash Master
Fox is dumb, his upair outprioritizes everything from BELOW him.

Stealth my pikachu plushies is MINE. Seriously though just go to 6 flags it cost me 2 dollars lol.

So instead of the regular smashfest at Wills on tuesday this is whats goin down(no I dont need your permission will) Im goin all out on this one:

Futurewrasler's Backflip Moneymatch Tournament

Somewhere in St. Peters, MO
MetalMusicMan's apartment

Time and schedule:
Doors open : 5 pm
Friendlies: 5 - 6pm
Singles Pools: 6 pm
Singles Brackets : 8 pm

Entry fee:
Venue- $3.50 (free if you bring shoes)
Singles: $1

General rules:

1 backflip
8 minute timer
Items are set to "off" and "none"
All sets with the exception of winner's finals, loser's finals, and the championship are best of 3 backflips (best of 5 and above should be played out for any "finals" backflips)
In the event of a dispute, backflip ports will be selected by Rock-Paper-Scissors
No player may choose a stage they have already won in that set unless agreed upon by both players.
If the timer runs out, both contestents loose cause their pussys and didn't try to do a backflip.
Metaknight's Infinite flippy glitch is banned.
If a game ends with Bowser doing his suicide klaw and it ends in sudden death, the sudden death will be ignored and that game will count as a win for the other contestent, cause Bowser does a front flip.
You are responsible for your own shoes and name tag. Any malfunctions or errors that occur are your responsibility, so bring an extra pair of shoes if possible and always check to make sure you're using the correct settings BEFORE a back is flipped. If a backflip is to be restarted due to shoe functions, it must be agreed upon by both parties.
Any action that can prevent the flip from continuing (i.e., freezing, disappearing characters, punching, kicking, excessive profanity, etc.) will result in a forfeit of that match for the player that initiated the action. You are responsible for knowing your own character, and must be wary about accidentally triggering one of these effects.
Stalling is banned.

Stalling: The act of deliberately avoiding any and all flipping so that one may make the game unflipable. Running away from a flat surface to reach a better position is not stalling, while doing an infinite flip endlessly against a wall is. Any infinite backflips must end quickly after 300 flips has been reached so as to prevent excessive stalling.

Set format (In Order of Procedure):
1. Opponents choose their shoes for the first backflip *
2. The first game is flipped.
3. The loser of the previous backflip announces the next match's stage from either the Starter Stage List or the Counter Stage List
4. The winner of the previous backflip choses their shoes
5. The loser of the previous backflip chooses their shoes
6. Repeat steps 4-5 for all proceeding backflip
*Double blind shoe selection may be called for the first backflip

Stage Lists

Starter:

Outside (Grass)

Counter:

Outside (sidewalk)

Banned:

Inside (Will's Butt)
Battlefield
Final Destination
Smashville
Yoshi's Island
Castle Siege
Halberd
Lylat Cruise
Pokémon Stadium 1
Brinstar
Delfino
Frigate Orpheon
Jungle Japes
Pictochat
Pirate Ship
Pokémon Stadium 2
Rainbow Cruise
Distant Planet
Green Greens
Luigi's Mansion
Port Town Aero Dive
Yoshi's Island (Pipes)
Norfair

Teh Future

Smash Master
Steve your just mad cuz you know you STILL aren't going to win any matches.

awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww snap.

ok really though what is stls housing situation for No Koast?

Nuris

Smash Lord
Who all is going/driving to the Springfield thing?
Me
Atma
Geno
Brawlpro
Blitz
Book
Legan
Mentok

Some of the people who have expressed interest. I'm driving 1 car (5 people) but we're probably going to need another driver. Post to confirm if you are or are not going, or if I forgot you.

BTW I there's Brawl, too. I realize it's pretty close to NoKoast but it's only a 1 day thing so... something to consider...

alt-F4

Smash Ace
i cant afford to go to 2 tourneys this month otherwise i would have considered it

Lixivium

Smash Champion
not sure if i am coming. anyone want to play today?
Sorry I'm not going to Six Flags (motion sickness johns). Maybe I would have in my younger days but nowadays I get sick just looking at some of the rides.

So Zach I'd be willing to play later today.

Book!

Smash Journeyman
i don't have a cube myself; i guess we are at the mercy of binyan, phil, et al.

i'm going to be doing work around campus, so i doubt i'll check the boards again today. call me if you need to get ahold of me.

MetalMusicMan

Sleepwalk our lives away.
lol. wow david. that was epic.

anyway yeah, i'm down for mini tournamentness this tuesday. let's do et.

andrew and nicole better come, i need footage of them. right now my STL Brawl video is looking like "Metal and Future's video" lol.

Top Bottom