• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

St.Louis Area Discussion Thread

Book!

Smash Journeyman
I left ~20 min after you, I think. Dunno how long Corey and Alex stuck around.

TP

Smash Master
Usually Friday nights. We mostly play Melee because we like it better but I think it's also because Nuris is the only one who has Brawl?

Anyway, welcome aboard.
Well, if it is only Melee, I doubt I will come. Don't get me wrong, I like Melee more than Brawl, but I only play Melee casually and only play Brawl competitively. I'm weird like that. :ohwell:

Book!

Smash Journeyman
I don't understand that argument at all. You would play a game that you enjoy less because you win more frequently? Isn't that even a little ridiculous?

Besides, it's not that hard to get decent at Melee. You don't need to spend hours in your room learning to JC Shine with Fox. The only "advanced" technique that I'd consider essential is L-canceling, which is quite intuitive and something that you can't help but pick up after playing for a while. The most important skills are basic ones: having a feel for the spacing/timing of your moves, being able to predict your opponent's movements, etc.

The Real Inferno

Smash Hero
Its not a crime to like Brawl over Melee. My philosophy is an easier game isn't a worse game. A game's "Goodness" is determined by whether or not you have fun playing it. All other forms of judgement are usually pretty biased and make everyone look like pretentious douchebags.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Its not a crime to like Brawl over Melee. My philosophy is an easier game isn't a worse game. A game's "Goodness" is determined by whether or not you have fun playing it. All other forms of judgement are usually pretty biased and make everyone look like pretentious douchebags.
Dang it, I hate it when Wichita wins our thread.

GTFO Kansas.

Legan

Smash Lord
Just be like me and **** in both games subconsciously.

The key is *****ing about both games equally and constantly reminding others that you are the ****. Thats how you reach my status.

Lixivium

Smash Champion
Well, if it is only Melee, I doubt I will come. Don't get me wrong, I like Melee more than Brawl, but I only play Melee casually and only play Brawl competitively. I'm weird like that.
Well it's not like we play for money amongst ourselves; I spend like half my matches ******* around. There's at least one Game & Watch, Donkey Kong, Zelda, Pikachu, Link, or Roy every other game.

I love both Brawl and Melee, but why try to get good at Melee when being good at Brawl takes no effort? :dizzy:
LOL trust me, it takes less effort than you think to be good at Melee. I can win like 30% of my matches and beat some surprisingly good players and I still don't L-cancel consistently to this day. (Although I'd probably be better if I did)

Conversely, it probably takes more effort than you think to be good at Brawl. Come play the other St. Louis people, at either WashU or St. Charles, and find out how good you really are before saying stuff like this.

InfernoRage1 said:
Uh, nobody said anything like that, I don't know where you got it from?

Book!

Smash Journeyman
What is it about Brawl that makes everyone so incredibly defensive? Quit playing the victim. The only time I badmouth Brawl is when I'm trying to get a rise out of Legan.

Why the need to defend your skill every time "Brawl" and "Melee" appear in the same sentence? Are you guys really so insecure that you have to constantly convince strangers that you are, in fact, really good at Super Smash Bros?

Legan + Nuris = Too good.

Lixivium

Smash Champion
Well to be fair St. Louis has had a history of trashing Brawl, especially Geno whining all the time, Random hating it with a passion we can't even comprehend, and Deku trolling just for fun. But I think we have all accepted this and moved beyond it.

Ironically, the last two or three times I wanted to play some Brawl nobody else would play with me, not even Legan.

This goes especially for people who are not from St. Louis: we are not automatically denigrating Brawl whenever "Brawl" and "Melee" appear in the same post. Don't feel compelled to chime in and defend Brawl when it's not even being discussed.

darkatma

Smash Hero
we should play today
friday sucked too many people too little tvs
and i got ***** by deku

can you guys beat the bad habits out of me please? because only deku punishes me for them like, horrendously =[
I do so much better against people who beat deku than deku =[

let's see.. I... DI in when recovering with fox even when i get hit with marth's fair
-spotdodge right after teching
-tech in place
what else...

Zig-Zag!

Smash Lord
Uh, just be good at both games. I won the brawl tourny I just hosted while hosting it.

HEY WHEN DOES EVERYONE SWITCH UP AND GO HOME COME BACK HOME

I apparently come back May 1st?

TP

Smash Master
I'm going to come, all thanks to Nuris.

I might actually be good at Melee, since I SHFFL and all that. It's just that my opponents are tournament-placing caliber, so I never win.

Somebody please post info concerning the Friday thing at WashU. Thanks.

Chezzles

Smash Journeyman
Oh snap I'm going to come by and demonstrate my abilities to L Cancel TO YOU ALL

...maybe. Later tonight.

EDIT: Why Chezzles Hates Facebook

Friend 1 Status: "I hate google maps it's always wrong"
Comment: "u can see my house on there!!"

Lixivium

Smash Champion
I might actually be good at Melee, since I SHFFL and all that. It's just that my opponents are tournament-placing caliber, so I never win.
Who do you play with? :confused:

Just check this topic, people will post if they are playing at WashU (like tonight for instance)

Dekuschrub

Smash Master
i might be in the neighborhood.

lixi is gonna get it.

start playing at about 745 plz and you will have dekuskittles.

and i was so off yesterdy NO JOHNS LOLO

Lixivium

Smash Champion
Haha Deku's Marth is terrible I don't even know why you use him in tournaments.

Edit: Binyan your phone is broken again. Should I just show up at like 7:30?

TP

Smash Master
Who do you play with? :confused:

Just check this topic, people will post if they are playing at WashU (like tonight for instance)
I main Marth and Ganondorf. I'm also working on Fox, Mario, and Kirby, though I don't see myself maining them any time soon.

I'm busy every night til next Friday, so I'm looking forward to that.

Lixivium

Smash Champion
I main Marth and Ganondorf. I'm also working on Fox, Mario, and Kirby, though I don't see myself maining them any time soon.

I'm busy every night til next Friday, so I'm looking forward to that.
No, I meant who are these people you play with that are "tournament-placing caliber"?

Book!

Smash Journeyman
Lots of work to do, I'll play with you guys on Friday.

Someone else will have to beat Binyan in the meantime.

Top Bottom