• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

St.Louis Area Discussion Thread

Togaboy

Smash Apprentice
Gah, my bad ive been havin fun playin wifi and I completely forgot to get it back to you.
oh i figured you should borrow it for a week or so. no point keeping it at my place with nobody to play with--and wifi makes me rage like a republican at a gay bar.

when/what days do you have class legan?
kyle...same goes to you. answer!

Lixivium

Smash Champion
oh i figured you should borrow it for a week or so. no point keeping it at my place with nobody to play with--and wifi makes me rage like a republican at a gay bar.

Toga do you live on the Loop too? I could go over to your place and play one of these days, you know, if you had a setup.

Somebody teach me to be good at Brawl, maybe I would like it more (no promises).

Togaboy

Smash Apprentice
Toga do you live on the Loop too? I could go over to your place and play one of these days, you know, if you had a setup.

Somebody teach me to be good at Brawl, maybe I would like it more (no promises).
yeah dude, I live down the street from kyle. i'm at kingsbury and kingsland.

MetalMusicMan

Sleepwalk our lives away.
Lixi you are always welcome to come to my place I would be more than happy to help train you for Brawl as long as you have an open mind about it and refrain from bashing and all that. Just send me a PM if you wanna play 1v1 on a non smash-fest night or something.

That goes for anyone who wants to up their Brawl game, I give free tutoring :)

Teh Future

Smash Master
wtf h8 l1f3

So Nuris made me want to play smash64 since I finally got a new controller with a not broken control stick I was gonna learn how to use it and I just spent like 10 minutes looking for my N64 only to find out my sister stole it and bought it to college in chicago like a wahore

Edit: lol at Legan's sig. I think you gave that guy an erection

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
also thinkaman imma go out on a limb and say that fox/mario are god awful and should not be played.
I didn't say they were good, and Jigglypuff isn't exactly king of the tier list either. I said that they are the optimal people to learn first before transitioning to other characters. For example, I ran a massive spreadsheet and figured out that Jigglypuff's moves have the least total timing variation from the averages for each standard move type across the cast.

No, I'm no joking.

are there any smashers currently attending saint louis university? i have no car and can't get out to the loop (too poor) for tournaments.
Metrolink? Stay in touch, and we can probably get you to smashfests and tourneys. In the meantime, I'm going to start crusading my Mario/Fox/Jigglypuff advice.

*rants incoherently about "having lots of gay friends"*

Monday: 11:30-1:00
Tuesday: 10:00-2:30
Wedsenday: 11:30-1:00, 7:00-8:30
Tuesday: 10:00-2:30, WUGS @ 9:00-forever
Friday: 4:00-5:30

Not a simple schedule, but it's pretty open in general...

Toga, you going to Metal's tomorrow?

Lixivium

Smash Champion
Lixi you are always welcome to come to my place I would be more than happy to help train you for Brawl as long as you have an open mind about it and refrain from bashing and all that. Just send me a PM if you wanna play 1v1 on a non smash-fest night or something.

That goes for anyone who wants to up their Brawl game, I give free tutoring :)
Nothing personal MMM but your place is rather far away and on weekdays I generally don't have time to drive an hour round trip just to play Brawl.

Edit: Nevermind, I found your address. I'll think about coming one of these days if there will be other people there.

alt-F4

Smash Ace
The only reason i need to practice spot dodging is that i don't do it. I play with some friends who are far worse than i am, and if you ask anyone who was at thinks on friday can tell you that's really bad. So i guess it's less "practicing" and more breaking a bad habit. Think will you be there tomorrow, cause i am more than willing to listen on a rant, especially if it will help me get better.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
I'll be there tomorrow, Toga we should share a ride assuming you are interested in going. Legan too, as well as anyone else in our neck of the woods.

Lixi, I'm always up for playing Brawl. (or Melee to be honest)

Alt-F4: I don't spot-dodge. Probably should, most likely a terrible habit, but just saying.

Nicole

Smash Champion
The only reason i need to practice spot dodging is that i don't do it. I play with some friends who are far worse than i am, and if you ask anyone who was at thinks on friday can tell you that's really bad. So i guess it's less "practicing" and more breaking a bad habit. Think will you be there tomorrow, cause i am more than willing to listen on a rant, especially if it will help me get better.
If you want to learn to spot dodge, play a character with a terrible roll dodge for awhile. I used to never spot dodge, but then I picked up GW, and I pretty much had to learn it. It's pretty useful.

Also, the Midwest Circuit (west) is starting up, and you guys should definitely get into the tournament scene, considering that StL is pretty much smack dab in the center of the region (and I think you guys would do pretty well!) I think the first tourney event is going to be NO KOAST in KS on Feb 21. Just something to think about :)

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
I'm game, but what the HECK is our schedule for NO KOAST? Who is leaving when, and where are we staying?

Daniel_the_Seraph

Smash Ace
Sorry about my absence last Friday. Was unable to make it because of the sudden location change.

I will, however, probably be able to attend next time it's at Wash U or a public place.

Tell meh wheeeeen.

Radium88

Smash Lord
i always thought that spot dodging too much was a bad thing :(
Why would it be a bad thing? Isn't spot dodging, dodging attacks on the ground? I guess it could be bad if that's all you did and didn't attack. But seriously, why would spot dodging be a bad thing if you're just dodging it and it's not using a shield so you wouldn't have to worry about shield breaking.

I wish I could go to the NO KOAST one but it's in Toooeee peeaa kaaaahhh. It's in Toepicker, which is far. But I would go just to watch and be a StL (and Kirksvilee) cheerleader since I would get *****. Also, speaking of Kirksville.......You guys should go to the tournament. It's only 3-4 hrs away, depending on how fast you drive.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sou...-91.444702&sspn=2.817647,4.943848&ie=UTF8&z=8

(Sorry for another shameful plug)

Dekuschrub

Smash Master
ummm ok

its called you fake an attack, they spot dodge nothing, you **** them in the lag after the spot dodge.

but spot dodging is much better in brawl so idk

Nicole

Smash Champion
I'm game, but what the HECK is our schedule for NO KOAST? Who is leaving when, and where are we staying?
Some of the Wichita people are providing housing. They're really nice people, I'm sure you could find someone who will let you stay at their house - talk to Affinity or InfernoRage, or just go to the NO KOAST thread and ask!

Chezzles

Smash Journeyman
Also, spot dodging is easy to punish with a pivot grab if you can predict it, and if your character has a decent pivot grab (ie, Fox), you're definitely setting yourself up for punishment. The moral is, don't go all defensive, but spot dodging is tons better than just rolling. Hooray, fundamentals!

Dekuschrub

Smash Master
i would have to say going for a grab in brawl with fox is a waste of time for a spot dodge punishment...

i mean its not like you can combo out of it, might as well go for an easier way to punish it

Lixivium

Smash Champion
I'm thinking of just driving to Champaign on -edit: Saturday- morning for SMYM.

Dekuschrub

Smash Master
i would have to say going for a grab in brawl with fox is a waste of time for a spot dodge punishment...

i mean its not like you can combo out of it, might as well go for an easier way to punish it

Radium88

Smash Lord
The moral is, don't go all defensive, but spot dodging is tons better than just rolling.
Yeah, that's what I mean by that's the only way it can be a bad thing, but I guess the grab could work. Also, I would agree spot dodging will be better than roll out because doesn't rolling out leave you more open?

ummm ok

its called you fake an attack, they spot dodge nothing, you **** them in the lag after the spot dodge.

but spot dodging is much better in brawl so idk
How do you fake an attack in Brawl? I thought L-canceling was no longer available? Is there something similar in Brawl?

Lixivium

Smash Champion
sunday?

you mean... saturday?

i dont think you need l cancelling to fake an attack radium.. empty SH does wonders for getting ppl into their shield/getting them to spot dodge
Yeah that's what I meant. It'd be easier for me to go to SMYM if I could get back there and back in the same day...even though that's 6 hours of driving in one day.

Teh Future

Smash Master
Saying you can't follow up grabs in brawl is dumb, just because the person who gets grabbed has MORE options than in melee doesn't mean they automatically get out of damage after the grab gets off. It becomes even more about prediction than melee is because your opponent can do more than just DI.

Spot dodging in brawl is much better than in melee (I think theres less ending lag?) but people who spam it are easily punished with most characters jabs, which is a lot easier way to punish than with a pivot grab, although a pivot grab would be much sexier looking.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
There are certainly few things guaranteed out of Brawl grabs, but usually being able to predict a premature air dodge from the opponent afterwards gives you a license to do whatever you want. (Usually aerial of your choice, up-smash, or re-grab.)

Spot dodgers are not only punished by long duration moves like many down-smashes, but also moves with more startup lag than the dodger was anticipating. Smashes are natural spot-dodge punishers, since you can charge them to fit whatever timing you need. (You can charge them all a full 60 frames I think.)

Think of it this way, like a basic rock-paper-scissors: Tilts beat smashes because they are generally faster, spot-dodging allows you to punish tilts, and smashes allow you to punish predicted spot-dodges. There are plenty of exceptions (certain smashes that come out in ~5 frames come to mind...) but generally you can think of it that way. You can call this the timing triangle.

Jabs beat everything because they are incredibly fast and repeatable. However, everything out-ranges them, so a small amount of distance between you and your opponent lets you do a longer attack that "beats" jabs. If they are even longer away normal attacks will miss, and you can do a dash-attack or dash/pivot-grab to punish the ending lag of any missing standard attack they do. Of course, we come full circle where jabs beat dashing approaches; without any ending lag, you can just shield or spot-dodge and counter with your various options as you see fit. You can call this is the spacing triangle.

Fighting games are full of these triangles, where everything beats something else. Smash expands this out more broadly compared to most other fighters that go for depth in just spacing and timing; smash also has complexities involving projectiles and aerial movement on top of the common basics. What's exciting are all the exceptions; those are the things people hate. For example, ROB's d-smash comes out faster than about half the jabs in the game and has a long duration that prevents ease of dodging, and yet has pretty good range and reward (damage and knockback). Given a typical moveset you can't really beat ROB's d-smash without really good spacing or timing; you have to tap into those projectiles or aerial options, or "exceptions" of your own character.

Dekuschrub

Smash Master
hahaha wtf is that? rock paper scissors? you have a very strange way of looking at smash. I prefer to look at everything from a matchup perspective, not some triangle/mario only BULL. hahaha youre like the fruit rollup factory: what will you roll out next???

and future you don't need to freak if I say something about brawl. All I said was you probably won't want to try grabs as fox for means to punish spot dodges because its a pretty high risk/ low reward.

lalalala also please if you think im ever being mean dont cuz im only joking! (for those of you who havent met me/don't know me that well). We trash talk a ton up here in champaign and i kinda forget st. louis is a lot nicer lolol

Nuris

Smash Lord
lalalala also please if you think im ever being mean dont cuz im only joking! (for those of you who havent met me/don't know me that well). We trash talk a ton up here in champaign and i kinda forget st. louis is a lot nicer lolol
We're also incubating nooblets. Try to keep the cartoon violence and crude humor T for Teen.

Togaboy

Smash Apprentice
whoa whoa children. it's toga time. that is all.

PS

GUYS the st louis page is on a GROSS!!! (144th page)

Teh Future

Smash Master
and future you don't need to freak if I say something about brawl. All I said was you probably won't want to try grabs as fox for means to punish spot dodges because its a pretty high risk/ low reward.
I didn't mean to make my post sound like I was mad, I just think there are a lot of misconceptions about brawl melee players seem to have and they are way off a lot of times. If you were only applying it to spot dodges, then yeah I agree that there are usually better options than to grab.

Legan

Smash Lord
yes, I think so. Legan always has me on the mind. Sorry Alex-- he saw me first, kind of like a duckling who assumes his mother is the first thing he sees. I'm like his mother duck and he just follows me around.

Quack Quack (snuggles next to mama)

Yea Sorry Alex I got you confused.....ALL YALL LOOK ALIKE!

ps: Im Racist

Top Bottom