• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SSBB: 2 Years Later

MacNCheese.

Smash Ace
How do you think the brawl metagame has changed?
How have players improved?
What strategy do you think is most used?
What's your favorite change in 2 years
What would the metagame be like Without MK? :bluejump:
:uzi: :metaknight:
(lol wtf new smilies took out uzi :()

Life

Smash Hero
Dude, chill a bit. Smashboards tend to be slow in the mornings (okay, it's technically not morning but fairly close depending on where you live). Also, doubleposting is a nono.

Anyway, I haven't been around long enough to fairly answer these, but obviously "pick MK" is the most common strat.

DtJ Glyphmoney

Summoned from a trading card
BRoomer
NNID
Tip_Tappers
3DS FC
1032-1228-5523
Yeah, don't double post man, if you wait people will post in your thread eventually.

Pretty much all of your questions can be answered with MK, except the last one haha. its hard to say if I really have a favorite development, though Project M and Brawl - are both really cool

SuSa

Banned via Administration
What's your favorite change in 2 years?

I actually like the idea/concept behind this thread.

1) Meta Knight > Snake (Speaking about the tier list and the swap off for 1st place)
2) More people started choosing Meta Knight
3) Pick Meta Knight
4) Ally quitting Snake for MK.

ps:
Yes, the aboves a joke. Get over it, I'm making a point. I give the game another 2 years before people start to realize how sickingly much the metagame revolves around MK. Even for being the best character, he shouldn't have this much of the metagame revolving around him.

EDIT:
Still against banning him at this point... I just hate him with a fiery passion. But not bannable.......yet...
:093:

Kiru

Smash Cadet
I would really like something against MK. Alot of people are just quitting their mains so they can win easier with MK. I still think alot of mid tier players should really just grind the MK matchup until something comes up, or people just stop basing half the game on the large chance your going to encounter metaknight. Like seriously, The tier list revolves around your matchup with MK.

SuSa

I would really like something against MK. Alot of people are just quitting their mains so they can win easier with MK. I still think alot of mid tier players should really just grind the MK matchup until something comes up, or people just stop basing half the game on the large chance your going to encounter metaknight. Like seriously, The tier list revolves around your matchup with MK.
Only important matchups:

Your character vs MetaKnight
Your character vs any possible Hard Counter [If Meta Knight is not already included]

MacNCheese.

Smash Ace
This is why theres a social group for it.......
(check my profile)

~Tac~

One day at a time.
NNID
Kamidachi
Switch FC
SW-6745-2861-2990
Anyway, I haven't been around long enough to fairly answer these, but obviously "pick MK" is the most common strat.
Pretty much all of your questions can be answered with MK, except the last one haha. its hard to say if I really have a favorite development, though Project M and Brawl - are both really cool
1) Meta Knight > Snake (Speaking about the tier list and the swap off for 1st place)
2) More people started choosing Meta Knight
3) Pick Meta Knight
4) Ally quitting Snake for MK.

ps:
Yes, the aboves a joke. Get over it, I'm making a point. I give the game another 2 years before people start to realize how sickingly much the metagame revolves around MK. Even for being the best character, he shouldn't have this much of the metagame revolving around him.
**** Metaknight. Still hate him, but I guess I don't really need to state the "MK" response, lmfao.

But to give at least an answer to that fourth one, I'd have to say my favourite change would inadvertently be the community surrounding it and the efforts that go into how people enjoy this Metaknight spinoff. excellent game.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
Mk is dominating STILL.
Players have improved by dropping their main and going mk.
MK is winning ALL mlg.

Wretched

Dankness of Heart
Mk is too good, just incase anyone forgot to mention that.
On the subject that doesn't have knight at the end of it, the metagame hasn't really changed much. Advanced techniques have been discovered, but nothing substancial.
I think that brawl really hasn't come too far other than people just getting generally better.

Kiru

Smash Cadet
I forget which thread it was, but it was about banning characters/ATs/CGs/etc.

"The only time a ban is warranted is when the game actually comes down to "do this or lose"."

That is what is starting to happen. People are switching to MK because they feel they cannot win as their current character. The more people playing as MK, the more people learn how to abuse MK, the higher the chances that MK becomes practically unbeatable by other characters, and then this turns into Melee character wise where tourneys are based on a few characters (Or one in this case).

SuSa

Melee is high tier based, but you do occasionally get other people winning tourneys.

Meta Knight still doesn't dominate every tournament, but plenty of people are switching to him because of his dominating stats/character.

Like I said, I give it 2 years until we have a Top4 based game (like Melee) or people finally decide MK is to dominating of the cast.

At least every other high tier has a bad matchup.

Kiru

Smash Cadet
Melee is high tier based, but you do occasionally get other people winning tourneys.

Meta Knight still doesn't dominate every tournament, but plenty of people are switching to him because of his dominating stats/character.

Like I said, I give it 2 years until we have a Top4 based game (like Melee) or people finally decide MK is to dominating of the cast.

At least every other high tier has a bad matchup.
I don't care about the other high tiers right now, because they have some bad match-ups and flaws, when MK is the best character in the game by far. So far, he has his own tier.

In time, one of three things will happen.

1) MK will be winning 90% of tourneys with a money prize, and it will become like melee, but 75% MK, 25% other High Tier Characters.

2)MK will be banned or a flaw in MK will be found that changes MK's standings from best character.

3)Nothing will happen, and these discussions will still go on, leaving the Brawl back room to continue putting MK on the top.

MacNCheese.

Smash Ace
If MK had one bad MU, everyone would main him.

THAT means in 2 more years(or less) it'll be MK and*insert counterpick here*, or everyone playing melee.
Now THAT means MK is god with a sword, he can make a character good or bad.
I mean, in mostr guides, they tell you if they are a counterpick or not.. am i right?

P.S. MK IS PULLING ME IN , I WANT TO MAIN HIM........ HELP!

Blissard

Smash Lord
I like how this thread now revolves around MK...

I also got pulled in by MK at one point. If you play someone, and use MK, and lose multiple times in a row, you'll lose the will to play him (then again, that theory applies for all characters...).

I feel cheap if I use MK, and it gets boring. Besides, he's over-represented. Spreads like a ****ing virus...

Stratocaster

Smash Ace
then this turns into Melee character wise where tourneys are based on a few characters (Or one in this case).
1: hungrybox:039:
2: Armada:peach:
3: mew2king:shiek::fox::marth:
4: Dr. Peepee:falco:
5: Axe:025::falco:
6: Wobbles:popo:
7: Jman:fox:
7: Zhu:falco:
9: Dashizwiz:falco:
9: Eggm:fox:
9: Vanz:fox::peach::jigglypuff::popo:
9: Hax:falcon:
At APEX, 9 different characters were represented out of the top 12 players. Don't say its dominated by a few (9 is 33% of the playable characters)
Melee is about 9 years old and though people have said for years that sheik, then fox, now jigglypuff are all going to ruin the metagame by becoming too dominate, it never does. I suspect the best players will come out on top on the end for the entirety of the metagame of brawl as well as long as they use a character in the top third or so, give or take. Apex results for Brawl had some pretty good variety as well (though it is newer)

1: DEHF:falco:
2: Brood:olimar:
3: mew2king:metaknight:
4: Lee Martin:lucario::metaknight:
5: Ally:snake:
5: lain:popo:
7: Rain:falco::metaknight:
7: Atomsk:dedede::popo::wario:
9: Anti:metaknight::snake:
9: Shadow:metaknight:
9: san:ike:
9: Shugo:sonic::falco:
Provided for comparison, the 2 year old brawl has 10 characters represented in the top 12. They're pretty similar in variety of the top characters.

SuSa

That's using 1 major tournament.

Also you are counting characters which may have only been used once, and maybe earlier on in the tourney against "scrubs".

I didn't bother counting, but I'm assuming you counted every image near the name and not just their primary used character.

MacNCheese.

Smash Ace
the next smash bros is gonna have ANOTHER dominant character and everyones gonna go back to, **** you sakurai

solecalibur

Smash Master
At APEX, 9 different characters were represented out of the top 12 players. Don't say its dominated by a few (9 is 33% of the playable characters)
Melee is about 9 years old and though people have said for years that sheik, then fox, now jigglypuff are all going to ruin the metagame by becoming too dominate, it never does. I suspect the best players will come out on top on the end for the entirety of the metagame of brawl as well as long as they use a character in the top third or so, give or take. Apex results for Brawl had some pretty good variety as well (though it is newer)

Provided for comparison, the 2 year old brawl has 10 characters represented in the top 12. They're pretty similar in variety of the top characters.
Lol you dont know anything ?

I can tell you for one
Shugo DID NOT use Sonic , he used MK and Falco , those results are inaccurate with a lot of people

I saw Lain and Atomsk use MK at least once as well

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
the next smash bros is gonna have ANOTHER dominant character and everyones gonna go back to, **** you sakurai
It depends on the balancing for the next game. Capcom, ArcSys, and other fighting game developers have been improving the quality of their balancing lately. Sakurai, or whoever leads the next one, is going to have to step things up in the balancing department.

Kiru

Smash Cadet

I said in the future it could happen. Right now the game is fairly diverse character usage wise.

Vmage

Smash Journeyman
Ok it's Canada. That's it no more details.
I'm already waiting for the next Super Smash Bros game.:ohwell:

First, I can't really fight anyone. Online gets too laggy and how am I supposed to enter these kinds of tournaments.:(

Second, I am not choosing Metaknight even if he is so good to use. I would prefer using a character I like than using someone who I don't want to use. Sure Metaknight looks cool but I don't like using "overpowered" characters. Plus tier lists make us feel that a character we like isn't strong enough. If I had the chance to fight other people, I would show that tier lists mean nothing to me. If I fail, I try harder.

Metakight will only increase your chance of winning. Using someone else means you try harder to win.

highfive

Smash Lord
1. Well, Ike bought a house and Marth moved in with Pokemon Trainer since he was short on the rent but overall I believe that the metagame has changed with Lucas finally hitting puberty and Samus beginning to date Link. (Metagame is still the same. MK is top tier)

2. According to some statistics some players have stopped their nefarious ways and have settled down with one girl. (Players still the same)

3. The strategy is to calmly observe Iron-34 and hope that the isotope will remain stable. (pick MK)

4. The leaves off the trees in my front yard have grown exuberant with the flooding I've done and have maintained an extremely healthy color these past few years (People have finally started to understand how to replace Lucario with Mewtwo through new methods rather than texture hacking and PSA hacking. Hackers FTW)

SuSa

Don't PM me over such trivial matters next time please. I have far more important things flooding my inbox that should be looked at first.

What would the metagame be like Without MK?
We won't know until it happens. I honestly don't see it being much better but it certaintly would cause the focus that is currently on him to be focused on top tier in general.

highfive

Smash Lord
So much Metaknight baaaaw'n going on in this thread
:/
Your just trying to meat ride the Ganondorf mains.

Don't PM me over such trivial matters next time please. I have far more important things flooding my inbox that should be looked at first.
FEAR MY HIGH AND MIGHTYNESS!!!

Somehow I knew this was going to be an MK RAEG thread before I even clicked on it.
Psychic?

What would the metagame be like Without MK?
Snake would be top tier and Ganon would still be dead in the water.

Youngling

Smash Journeyman
im a melee player, and i would actually probably start playing brawl if mk got banned. all top tiers would be viable. it would be suchhh a fun game.

Clutch

Smash Rookie
I will show you all the true power that is ike, who dares challenge me

EDIT: Imagine that above line in all caps please !

Blissard

Smash Lord
o.O There's a smashboards arena you know...
I have to shower, but I'll post a visitor message on your wall when I'm done.

Ike=San
MK=M2K

I suppose I'm brood then o.O

Clutch

Smash Rookie
o.O There's a smashboards arena you know...
I have to shower, but I'll post a visitor message on your wall when I'm done.

Ike=San
MK=M2K

I suppose I'm brood then o.O
But you see, I don't know!

"Any takers? (Sorry if I posted this in the wrong area, I figured this was the most relevant place, point in the right direction if I missed a more appropriate board, thanks.)"

I'm brand new!

Top Bottom