• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Squirtleknight is obnoxious obv :012:. - Marth+

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
He's better than he was, in over all flow.

But I'm pretty sure a Ken Combo is like [realistically] impossible with the angle fair sends. But the fair allows for more fairs, woot... I guess.

The utilt changes are nice, but I think the base could be reduced in the earlier frame's hitbox (i.e. where it hits from infront of him, iirc frame 6/7; I believe it only does 8% at one frame).

Only other real move changes now I think would be to dash attack... Tip sends backwards at low angle, whilst untippered sends up. Speed? probably nothing too extreme..

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
tbh, dash attack would need more hitstun in order for anything to send up to be useful.

Rather than a move that sends up, I'd prefer bair to semi spike. That move's unqiue properties and range are just begging to be turned into a semispike.

RyuReiatsu

Smash Journeyman
I'd say, make it so that Dair can send the opponent diagonally. Why is his spike so situational anyways?
Also, I'd like to point out that Utilt and Uair have some sort of issue, maybe you all know about it.

Unfortunately, I don't have a capture card, nor do I even know how to run Dolphin emulator...
Anyways so... When you perform Utilt while the opponent is on the ground and behind you, the tip of the sword passes through him without doing anything, is that normal? Same for Uair.

EDIT: By the way, I like Marth at 5 buffers. What about all of you? I've only been able to perform Fair->Uair with that much buffer. Doing Fair that doesn't pressure me in having a perfect timing is at around 3.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
About uair/utilt. Has it been like that? Before the changes?

His dair has always been situational like that. It's more so in Brawl than Melee.

RyuReiatsu

Smash Journeyman
About uair/utilt. Has it been like that? Before the changes?

His dair has always been situational like that. It's more so in Brawl than Melee.
What do you mean, before the changes? I'm not actually sure of 'when' are you talking about.
I've got 4.1 Plussery's codeset, and I happened to notice that quite a part of the tip wouldn't it.
Hopefully, I might just be fixed in 4.1B, but then again... I don't have the luxury to try it right now. Is it possible to transfer a picture taken with brawl's camera on our computer? I've never taken any.

And, well... many characters have the luxury to spike as they want... (Link's dtilt, ike's dtilt, Ganon's Dair, etc.)*
I wish it had a bit more uses... Just increasing dair's sweetspot would be already awesome.

*Their spikes don't need any spacing as they ALWAYS spike, and before I forget about Captain Falcon too. His dair was changed so it always spiked.

RyuReiatsu

Smash Journeyman
Okay.

Was it like that in Brawl? I'm thinking its just a general hitbox thing. We havnt changed the hitbox of Utilt or Uair.
Yeah, it was in vBrawl too. Which I've never liked, why would a part of the tip not even do the little spark when it hits the opponent? It feels quite stupid. If anybody could address it to Almas or a coder, that'd be so good. Nobody would listen to a newbie like me... since 80% of what I say are out of the blue and not very thought of. But this, I'll show a screenshot of it when I'm able to get access to one of the tvs.

VietGeek

Smash Hero
Okay.

Was it like that in Brawl? I'm thinking its just a general hitbox thing. We havnt changed the hitbox of Utilt or Uair.
Hitboxes in Brawl seem more rigged than circular, so for sword characters...often the animation of the sword arc doesn't seem to match the actual hitbox. At least I think it's like that...

Magus...name search please. We need your Deadly Eyes of Perception !

Err...I use 30 buffer on Marth. o_O

Any lower and I might as well let the CPU control my character imo. <_<

marth is too good know i destroy people with him O.O
I'm gonna lol if you lose to a Wario in B+ because you can't go in the red zone lol.

VietGeek

Smash Hero
LOLWUT.

Plenty of characters can stand up against marth. Are you nuts?
Ah well, look at his name kind sir.

Also, I would suggest a match-up...but currently the B+ scene is still too small to have any extremely productive discussions. <_<

Eh.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
no im just not bad

seriously marth is too amazing
Ill believe it when I see it. :V

Name these plenty of characters, please.

And don't say MK, I know he's one of them.
Falco, Fox, Wolf, Shiek, Snake, Squirtle, Peach, just to name a few. Hell, probably LINK can handle himself against marth now.

ChaosKnight

Smash Master
Ill believe it when I see it. :V

Falco, Fox, Wolf, Shiek, Snake, Squirtle, Peach, just to name a few. Hell, probably LINK can handle himself against marth now.

idk maybe you guys just need more time with game to actually understand how much marth destroys characters o.0

all those characters you mentioned i can chain grab (it is escapable and not easy to pull off) :psycho::psycho:

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
idk maybe you guys just need more time with game to actually understand how much marth destroys characters o.0
Or maybe you just need more time with game to actually understand how much other characters can stand up to marth. :V

all those characters you mentioned i can chain grab (it is escapable and not easy to pull off) :psycho::psycho:
Alot of characters can chaingrab alot of characters and those chaingrabs are escapable and not easy to pull of.

They're all impractical and shouldnt last no more than 2-4 throws. Marth is the same way. I've found CGs with uthrow and fthrow against nearly 60% of the cast, but pretty impractical and should only be done as a mindgame rather than something to rely on.

:V

ChaosKnight

Smash Master
no ive seen enough from people playing this game that no one knows how to play this game...

you guys need to play more without thinking too much its vbrawl simple as that.... i see videos of so much failure

Plz show me some vids of these so called *good marths*

shanus

Smash Hero
enough my **** is bigger arguments fellas.

Post some vids and analyze them for what you guys are doing wrong.

Though I have to say I agree more with ChaosKnight, Marth is easily one of the best in the game.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
I never said marth isnt one of the best in the game. I just disagree with him when he says no characters can stand up to marth.

He says,

no ive seen enough from people playing this game that no one knows how to play this game...

you guys need to play more without thinking too much its vbrawl simple as that.... i see videos of so much failure
Which basically means no one knows how to play Brawl+ because we keep thinking with a vBrawl mindset, which can be insulting, but really it's flat out wrong.

:V

ChaosKnight

Smash Master
k guyz i'll have vids of me up soon between me and jceaser and others such as my crewmate boss and other people :p very soon maybe at the start of the E3 conference

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Oh **** CockyKnight found his way to the Marth+ thread :p

Vids of his Marth are uploading on my youtube right now. He can be pretty arrogant but he's just playing around, and he does know what he's talking about.

Neko your list of characters that can stand up to Marth is pretty whack imo... I'd say Marth is probably both Squirtle's and Peach's worst matchup at the moment, and the same probably goes for a space animal or two as well. But like you said, there's just not enough people playing B+ right now to know things like that for sure, and it's gonna be different in every region.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
Ill be watching.

Those characters might not have advantages over Marth, but they matchup is not totally skewed as to which they can't win.

They CAN stand up to Marth. in Brawl+, just because someone is their worst match up doesnt mean that the match up is unwinnable. That's what we're trying to aim for at least. By the end of this, "worst matchups" will probably be 65:35. Maybe 70:30 in very few cases.

Right now, I personally believe Marth is 6:4 with nice chunk of the cast. 55:40 with the some, 65:35 with few and then the rare 60:40 that aren't in Marth's favor.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Ah I thought you were just trying to list even or better matchups against Marth, which was definitely not the case with Squirtle and Peach. I'm curious though, who do you think has the advantage against Marth (other than maybe MK)?

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
Advantage?

Hurr. I'm pretty conservative about match ups atm because of the lack of data and results to back them up. Alot of match ups are based primary off personal opinion and the ability to put 2 and 2 together. :V

I'd have to say Snake for sure. Shiek has the potential to have the slight advantage over marth, but I dont think it will ever be more than 5:5 for Shiek and at most for Marth 55:45, maybe 60:40.

MK is a given.

Wario also has the potential to have an advantage over Marth because Marth can no longer grab release abuse Wario.

Lucario has the potential because of his reduced gimpability because now he can attack out of Up B, making it harder for Marth to punish him, and Lucario can use that to gimp Marth from waaay off the stage. Plus lucario has plenty of disjointed attacks and the aura ability.

Also, Zamus. I dont know why, but something is just telling me to inclue her as well. :V

Palpi

Smash Hero
Grab release abuse wasn't the only reason marth beat wario. Simply out spaces him in every aspect.

Though apparently it wasn't even that heavily favored accordingly to some warios.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
im sorry mk is not a given maybe 5:5 but not a given lol hes really light in brawl +
MK is a given in the fact he outspaces and outgimps Marth. There is a reason why he's Marth's worst matchup in vBrawl. All the reasons that matter carry over to B+ and with NASL, its easier for MK to edgeguard and gimp Marth.

Grab release abuse wasn't the only reason marth beat wario. Simply out spaces him in every aspect.
True, but I still think Wario could at least go even with Marth. He out damaged him now, can punish and gimp Marth's recovery, has better kill potential and what not. The only issue wario has is getting inside Wall of Fair.

ChaosKnight

Smash Master
MK is a given in the fact he outspaces and outgimps Marth. There is a reason why he's Marth's worst matchup in vBrawl. All the reasons that matter carry over to B+ and with NASL, its easier for MK to edgeguard and gimp Marth.

even in vBrawl the marths had ways of dealing with him

but from what ive heard of what MK has been tuned down for example tornado ftilt being shorter and dsmash being shorter and such take away alot of how much a threat mk was in vbrawl

also ive heard that they made him lighter which adds even more to why mk wont be the climbing uphill battle it was in vbrawl

and even in Vbrawl good marths know how to keep from getting gimped so easily ...

so i really dont think Mk is a given

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
Oh maybe, a lot of top warios say that marth is a winnable match up once understood.

And that was in vBrawl. This is Brawl+ and this is a nerfed Marth. <3

EDIT:

even in vBrawl the marths had ways of dealing with him

but from what ive heard of what MK has been tuned down for example tornado ftilt being shorter and dsmash being shorter and such take away alot of how much a threat mk was in vbrawl

also ive heard that they made him lighter which adds even more to why mk wont be the climbing uphill battle it was in vbrawl

and even in Vbrawl good marths know how to keep from getting gimped so easily ...

so i really dont think Mk is a given
I say MK is a given that he has an advantage over Marth. Even if it's a slight advantage.

The ability to outgimp Marth and recovery from much longer distances with a reach that is generally equal to marths, and longer on a few moves. Higher priority and a smaller hurt box AND NASL give MK the advantage over Marth.

Even if it is a small one, he was one regardless. :V

Also, Those nerfs you mentioned dont matter as much as what I've just mentioned. Also, ftilt hasnt been touched. Dsmash is only weaker, not shorter and its a **** edgeguarding move. IIRC, they didn't make him lighter either, he just dies earlier than vBrawl because he was already light and hitstun + no momentum canceling = shorter life span.

Good Marths still get gimped by Good MKs. V:

It might not happen as often in vBrawl due to the ledge system, but now it will happen more often.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
Marth was just recently buffed because they overnerfed him, but from the start, they've only nerfed him. SLowly and surely.

But I guess you can call the original B+ Marth before his first nerf a buffed marth. You could main either Marth or Dancing Blade. LOL.

Thunderhorse+

Smash Ace
But I guess you can call the original B+ Marth before his first nerf a buffed marth. You could main either Marth or Dancing Blade. LOL.
I loved maining Dancing Blade way back when! :D

Anyway, more videos of CK's Marth+ to come once my friend finishes uploading the videos to his computer, including two Marth dittos between him and Boss. Good stuff.

Top Bottom