• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonic's OoS Options

MalcolmM

Smash Lord
What are sonic's best options out of shield?

Discuss.

I made this thread because it seems that people have forgetting they can do things out of their shield when being pressured. in most videos i see alot of failed shield grabs or smash attacks. Assuming your opponent can space and has a decent idea of how to play the game you are going to need more than those things and the occasional tilt. There are waaaaaaaaay better options than those things and I think it would be good if people pondered what those were...instead of me writing some definivite statement about what his best options are <.<

Tenki

Smash Hero
F-air, retreating ASC charge?

some moves, you can meet with B-air OoS, but those are sort of rarer later on :/

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
I always tilt OoS unless they're right on top of me and I know a grab is guaranteed, I don't really need to set myself up to be punished when that should be my opponent.

I'm not sure what other shield options Sonic has that are faster than 15 frames, but maybe a laggy Dair/Fair/Uair... and Nair/Bair if I feel confident I can punish with those.

If I know I'm going to be constantly pressured on, like say a Peach and her floating Dair shenanigans, I would pop a Spring right on her, gives her 4% damage and a little bit more breathing room to work with (or delay I get camped, it's either my shield or the Spring landing, I'll take my poison).

Dev2000

Smash Lord
Holland isnt the worst place ever why? I wouldve moved if it was dont go around saying stuff about places you have only been to once or maybe even never have been to

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
LOL he fell for the bait.

Good stuff Malcolm. Sonic boards have the best mindgames.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
T'was a joke on the Xatroom.

Now if we can get people to read the entire OP/Thread, we won't have to go off-topic like this.

Sonic's OoS options people, let's stick with it.

-Jumpman-

Smash Champion
I read the thread title, that's pretty important. I did read it.

On topic: nair? It has decent range. I don't know about the priority though.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
I know, I was just telling that to anybody else who bothered to read.

One guy already fell for the bait, no need to make anymore Dutch caught in the trap. I like Holland, they have Amsterdam.

Nair is not good for OoS due to it's poor range/priority and mediocre start-up. I could only see people do it because of the landing lag.

-Jumpman-

Smash Champion
Depends on the situation. If you want to punish something, nair isn't good. If you feel pressured, it might be.

I feel like Sonic has very few options OoS. Fair hits to high. Dair has too much lag. Bair is to slow. U-air won't hit. I think dash attack is a decent option.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Nair is probably only good to refresh other moves, and when your opponents are right on top of you and it will hit.

Fair does hit, you just have to do it while you're rising, it's a very safe aerial. Dair is fine if you got nothing else to use and your opponent is in lag themselves. It's only laggy when you'e being pressed on.

I also completely forgot about IDA, stuff works like magic.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
OOS uair is arguably among his best options.
It has a set knockback to the first hit so even if your opponent DI's the first hit, they are smacked too far away for them to maintain their pressure on Sonic.

OOS Fair.
Fair is good because it has so many active frames and Sonic can double jump against once its finished to continue spacing himself away from the opponent.

OOS bair is decent because of the range and power to the attack and similar to Fair, you can double jump again to move away.

Tenki

Smash Hero
I feel like Sonic has very few options OoS. Fair hits to high. Dair has too much lag. Bair is to slow. U-air won't hit. I think dash attack is a decent option.
Sonic's shorthop can reach.

N-air might be okay at mid %'s, unless it's a slow move and you can hit it while landing (then you can use it at lower %'s, though at that point, you probably have better options)

I misread this a little at first and it game me an idea. Retreating fair > asc. I don't mean for OoS, although it could be feasible I guess.
full hop F-air maybe, but defnitely not from a sh.

Super_Sonic8677

Smash Lord
lol sonic mindgamez are teh bestest

I usually do a ftilt. Though I'll try to grab if they're close. Rising sh fair I think would be good too. upsamsh is too slow. Never thought of doing upair before..

:009:

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
I guess I missed the joke title :/

I usually go for a shieldgrab at close range or an OoS F-tilt....or just run away.

I should work on this, lol

:093:

Trillion

Smash Ace
@ Camalange: The joke title said that Holland sucks.

@ Tenki: Yeah as soon as I mentioned it in the Xat KID said so too. So I had to try it and your right. I came up with another way though. Short hop fair to mid air jump spin charge.

~TBS~

Smash Champion
Rolling around at the speed of Sound, Maryland.
ok, we got tilts, retreating ASC's, shieldgrabbing, and SH aerials. (preferably fair)
anything else we can go into? You guys basically got everything. But, you SH OoS, is the aerial guranteed? i never really got the chance to go into this very deeply.

memphischains

Smash hhkj'
i didn't even read the topic.

the fact that malcom made a thread is already steak
like, i'm talking 16 ounce, you get your picture on the wall for eating it steak.

i might read the topic one day, but its amazing that malcom even made a thread.
it must be something actually constructive

like, i'm talking 16 ounce, you get your picture on the wall for eating it steak.

You can read? Wow, I'm surprised! Oh, wait. You said you DIDN'T read the topic. No surprises there... just stupid, useless comments from ya.

On topic, IDA isn't that good, because he just gets grabbed out of it, or shielded. Its a great move, worked lots of times for me but its just so... predictable. I don't know of any really good OoS options at all. Ftilt is to slow. I suppose I like to use dtilt. Its reliable, decent ranged and has those... frames, the name escapes me. And you can make a decent combo out of it, if you have to, plus has tripping potential at the tip.

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority

>_> You should've read the first title.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
On topic, IDA isn't that good, because he just gets grabbed out of it, or shielded. Its a great move, worked lots of times for me but its just so... predictable. I don't know of any really good OoS options at all. Ftilt is to slow. I suppose I like to use dtilt. Its reliable, decent ranged and has those... frames, the name escapes me. And you can make a decent combo out of it, if you have to, plus has tripping potential at the tip.
What?

Of course IDA is bad when you put it that way. it's suppose to be used OoS in this case... you know, that means usually there's enoguh lag in your opponent where you can punish with said attack? I don't even know why you said FTilt was so slow, it's one of Sonic's faster moves.

You're thinking of IASA or In As Soon As frames.

I shouldn't even be here to correct this GD it, I'm going to have a boring day ahead of me...

infomon

Smash Scientist
I only recently realized how fantastic Fair is OoS. Practice: run, shield, Fair... so that the shield only comes out for a frame or few at most, and you're jumping OoS (rather than releasing the shield and then jumping), and using the Fair early. Fair OoS comes out really fast (I'm not sure but I think frame 5 or 6, so comparable with our tilts), but it's safer. Its hitbox is big, aerial priority > ground priority, you're rising so if it eats at their shield you'll be getting away fast enough that they may not be able to punish, or they'll drop their shield too early and get hit......

yeah. Fair OoS.

Jab and tilts are ok too. Spring OoS to escape a really bad spot.

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
I likes SHUair, Ftilt, Grab, Utilt(on some), iDA and believe it or not, just running through them past their roll range. I've landed a good deal of Screech stop Fsmashes like that. They'll panic from the possible ftilt/ShieldGrab and roll right into it. ^_^

B.A.M.

Smash Lord
NNID
Bambatta
well i guess this doesnt have much to do with OoS. However i wanted to inquire if anyone else uses Spin Dash Cancel for a instant pivot shield. i havent seen much usage of it and i just was curious as to how my fellow steak tierians utilize this cancel.

To be on topic: I believe for the most part uair is where its at when OoS along with IDA. IDA is my favorite. it can be utilized to punish the smallest of lag. and when close it often can get u out of harms way. Uair, well, is just Uair. Having your opponent airbone over you is always great with such a move along with shield grabbing and sonics speed, air chasing is a great way to rack up damage. So im sure that any sonic mainer can naturally extrapolate from their own match experiences that OoS would be a great way to get the air chasing mindgames started.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
There's no point in coming out of your shield, just to turn around and put up another one.

Unless you mean pivot-shielding a hit, which gets you the same result anyway, and the usual mindgame from the spin doesn't work because your opponent is already going to expect you to shield his attack, or you get swatted away.

Top Bottom