• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonic's Moveset Discussion + Acronyms List

Napilopez

Smash Lord
Ahh I don't think we spoke about angling ftilt and its uses. Although its pretty simple. An upwards angled ftilt can help against certain aerials. A lower angled one could knock them down and lead to a jab lock, if your lucky, or a tech chase or whatever.

Anyways

As has been said, Double or single dtilt to utilt is awesome. It does come out extremely quickly, and its a great move to use if your at somewhere around 160% and have staled out all your typical kill moves. Second hit will make em go by by XD. I think it kills lighters chars around 140. Either Way, it kills earlier than utilt, lol.

Also, dash attack to reverse utilt = win.

It does have significant ending lag, which is why the move is situational. only use it if your enemy is above you and you need to outprioritize an aerial(be careful with your timing), or basically just make sure itll hit. IF all hits connect, its a free 14 damage, as good as an fsmash XD.

I just wish it didn't have that ending lag so you could follow up with some aerials more easily =(

Speaking of fsmash, i know it ahsnt come up yet, but remember you can angle it up for a 5% earlier kill =P

aeghrur

Smash Champion
U-tilt isn't that useful IMO, but it is good from a dash attack and sometimes on battlefield, if my opponent is on the platform, I'll dash-utilt instead of DAC. =/

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Hahaha, thanks. =P Puffball is amazing at drawing, lol.
I'm actually terrible at "drawing".

I do know how to make good cartoony stuff though, so yeah.

I love the expression I gave to Sonic though...

-----

I knew Utilt hit three times, kinda had a feeling. That, and I could swear I hear a "smack" sound three times when it lands.

As Boxob said, utilt ***** aerial Mario.

Hell, it's so awesome...at higher percents:

1. Jab
2. Uptilt
3. ???
4. Profit!!
5. Steak

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
Utilt hits three times, but he only has two feet.... well, I learned something today.

Also, I learned utilt has disjoints... awesome, I always use usmash on people falling towards me, but great, something to keep usmash "fresher" if you will. That, and the angle at which it attacks... beautiful stuff to know.

And utilt out of a dash? Really? Hmmm.... talk about stuff to try next time I get on the sticks.

utilt would be great if Sonic was taller.

Edit: I know I didn't actually have any input, but I'm merely a student of the Sonic metagame anyway. Excuse my useless post.

Nigma 7

Smash Rookie
that's odd... I was always under the impression that all of MK's moves also had disjointed hitboxes that outrange sonic. my bad...

Isn't utilt hard to combo with? like, I get the dtilt>utilt thing, but dtilt doesn't have much range. and against shorter characters it's lot easier to miss. correct me if I'm wrong...

SothE700k

Smash Lord
that's odd... I was always under the impression that all of MK's moves also had disjointed hitboxes that outrange sonic. my bad...

Isn't utilt hard to combo with? like, I get the dtilt>utilt thing, but dtilt doesn't have much range. and against shorter characters it's lot easier to miss. correct me if I'm wrong...
Couldn't you just go for an u-air after the u-tilt? That's what I usually do...

Tenki

Smash Hero
If you jump-cancel a charged SDR on a hill (eh... like Corneria's fin), you can do a sliding U-tilt that looks just like Falcon's running U-smash, but faster and more... slidy.

Random, but interesting to note lol.

Nigma 7

Smash Rookie
What about using U-tilt after you throw them upward? This seems safe and not punishable at low percents. but then again, if your fighting a shorter character...

Napilopez

Smash Lord
If you jump-cancel a charged SDR on a hill (eh... like Corneria's fin), you can do a sliding U-tilt that looks just like Falcon's running U-smash, but faster and more... slidy.

Random, but interesting to note lol.
That is one of my most favorite stage specific things to do with Sonic. I remember the first time I did it, accidentally, I was like Oo la la! And spent forever trying to figure it out to make it work on other stages, but it didn't T-T

What about using U-tilt after you throw them upward? This seems safe and not punishable at low percents. but then again, if your fighting a shorter character...
I can't eve recall ahving trouble hitting short charts with it, idk.

Umby

Smash Master
If it's possible to Jump cancel and reverse it like you can with usmash, you could probably zoom past the opponent and pull this off.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
uptilt is pretty much a terrible move and the most situational move that sonic has, which makes it worse because all of sonics moves are situational. snakes adn sonics up tilt should have the same range...

its fast, yes, and its slightly disjointed directly above the feet

but it has no horisontal range, horrendous ending lag, and crap knockback.

the only use this move has is after a dash attack at low %s and to surprise an opponent above you, and in both cases, there are plenty of better options

imho this is a use once every 10 matches kind of move, i think i use ganons up tilt more than i use sonics

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
uptilt is pretty much a terrible move and the most situational move that sonic has, which makes it worse because all of sonics moves are situational. snakes adn sonics up tilt should have the same range...

its fast, yes, and its slightly disjointed directly above the feet

but it has no horisontal range, horrendous ending lag, and crap knockback.

the only use this move has is after a dash attack at low %s and to surprise an opponent above you, and in both cases, there are plenty of better options

imho this is a use once every 10 matches kind of move, i think i use ganons up tilt more than i use sonics
With every post of yours I read, I begin to slowly increase my doubts about you even maining Sonic.

Boxob

Smash Champion
But it still has very nice damage, and situational as it is, you only need ONE situation to make it work.

That situation being Dtilt, which isn't hard to land at all, Utilt can be used effectively, easily.

Not to mention that it can lead to other moves.

:093:

Browny

Smash Hater
utilt has some pretty strange priority, ive seen it beat the turtle and DK dair and if sometimes clanks with other characters ftilts if they are spaced at max range. i use it every time i know i can get a hit off. 14 damage and its extremely rare it will ever be staled (unlike my uthrow). of course the times i remember to use it are very rare indeed lol

R4ZE

Smash Ace
thing i hate about sonic's utilt is how its just not easy to execute. but honestly, its a great move. most of the time when i use it, its on accident, but it always helps me like the hand of jesus delivering steak judgement onto non-beleivers.

about 40% of the time it endup killing because it is completely fresh. should we count this in as a sonic killing move? i beleive it has the same killing potential as usmash. but is it not fresh more often then not? this really could be incorperated into sonic's game when you have someone above 160% and are having trouble landing a kill move, this could catch them by suprise.

i wonder if this could be used in conjuction with skid stops or during the iasa frames of sonics full run turnaround.

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
Kills at 155%, 190% with proper DI.
Upsmash is 170% and 200% with DI.

There's not a lot of difference, neither are great for KOing.

Browny

Smash Hater
only use it for a KO move if you happen to be on the platform in the flying part of halberd. that has a seriously low ceiling and ive actually got a few low-ish % KO's from a utilt there

Napilopez

Smash Lord
You know Ro0o0o0ooeeyy, you are a very important aspect of these boards. Just your smashboards Screename exudes excitement! I look in the board index, and see the last post was buy ROOOOY! and its like YAY OMG EXCITING BECAUSE ROYS SCREENAME IS EXCITING

Makes everything more exciting. I mean its caps, a hearty waste of vowels, and an exclamation point!

10boredandrandoms

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
So i think its safe to say the utilt has been covered.

its an okay move, but its usages is rather limited and if it gets shielded you are going to get smashed because the range as well as the duration of the move is rathre high.

worst tilt of the 3.

Ftilt is best
Dtilt for 2nd place
Utilt afterwards

Clearly we should Ftilt more.

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
utilt as a kill move? At that point, you're better off using uthrow. seriously.

at 155%, utilt doesn't even send the opponent fast enough for them to not DI, doesn't it?

I agree with ShadowLink, ftilt moar. If you're a Sonic main and you're not using ftilt, use it.

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
That's the write up for utilt done. Again, please tell me if anything needs changing in it or any of the others. People seem to have neglected to do so so far so I'm either doing something right or you're all afraid that I'll ignore you to death.

I'm gonna go back through them and add kill percentages and shit because I like wasting time.
I might do a tilt round-up, but you guys don't really need to say anything about that.

So next up is Dsmash. I actually hate this move, lol.
Discuss nao.

Napilopez

Smash Lord
Also, takes some time to come out. If only it came out like meta's dmsmash =(. Anyways, its priority, when it comes to clanging, isn't bad.

This move is awesome to charge though. I STILL get people with it, thinking I'm charging some other spin-type move, lol.

Many Sonic's don't seem to use it very much, my self included. Which is why I often find it very useful as a last resort kill move If I've staled all my others.

Also, does this move has differen't knocback angles depending on wher eyou hit with it? Because some times the trajectory is very diagonal-leaningtowards vertical, sometimes its very horizontal. it might just be differences in DI though.

it is useful against spotdodgers or to punish rolling, or perhaps to punish someone after landing(lol sonic dittos).

Ehh, I can't really think of any good set-ups that could lead me into a dsmash for the kill though. Really just good timing or perhaps a simple mindgame. Does anyone have any set-ups/mindgames for a dsmash kills?

It kills at like what, 120ish percent? It does come out very quickly after you release the charge.

i don't use it much, because I don't have DownSmash as an input in my wiichuck setup =P, If I use it its usually just control stick+A

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
I find Dsmash to have less knockback at the edge of it's hibox than it would if you hit dead at the middle, like if your opponent was right on top of you during activation.

Sadly, Dsmash has absolutely no moves it can be setup from, however I find this to be a great roll-punishing move, not to mention I use this a lot when my opponents are recovering to the stage. If they overshoot the ledge or if they somehow roll right into Dsmash while I'm charging it it scores kills, and it freaking rocks.

As for knockback direction, I think that if performed when you're on the opponent it tends to have more Vertical knockback (though still noticable horizontal knocback, and it sends them FAR) and if it hits at the edge of the hibox then it just tends to be little knockback (compared to the other mid-activation hitbox) with some horizontal distance with it, and even less vertical knockback distance, although another Sonic player will probably have to help me confirm this.

I'm not sure which way opponents will be flying when you use Dsmash, I haven't played Brawl in three days (which is why somebody else will have to help me comfirm some of this junk) if opponents will go left if I hit them that way and vice-versa, or more factors can come into play and it is unknown to me where they can go.

I find Dsmash to be a great punishing move/killing move respectively. I don't use it so often as to build damage so it isn't too decayed if at all, which is great for kills if I sweetspot the middle.

SothE700k

Smash Lord
I can't say I know of any set ups, its more situational/rolldodge counter like than anything.
Tricking people into thinking you're doing a spin charge then nailing them with a d-smash couldn't be anymore satisfying =)

I do find a charged up d-smash to be very useful against people hanging/coming to the edge though, as long as the timing is a bit early.

Top Bottom