• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonic's Moveset Discussion + Acronyms List

thecatinthehat

Smash Master
lol...I was playing around. I meant Sonic doesn't need any kind of forward movement. Sonic isn't the fastest for nothing.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
lol...I was playing around. I meant Sonic doesn't need any kind of forward movement. Sonic isn't the fastest for nothing.
So then care to explain to a fellow Blue Blur the exact functions of Dtilt; specifically just what did you mean by when it has IASA frames? Any information would be useful really, I don't have any dtilt in my game, but I'm just here to lend any "semi-good" feedback, and so far it's Dtilt we're talking about (I missed the jab part.)

thecatinthehat

Smash Master
IASA.....Interupt as soon as.

Sonic's d-tilt has IASA frames.
During these frames you can interrupt the attack with another action.
E,g; d-tilt > jab

At least this is what I think happens. I could be wrong.

Phoenix_Dark

Smash Lord
NNID
Phoenix2337
3DS FC
1289-8343-1385
I use dtilt out of grab release sometimes to catch people off guard. If it works, it leads into plenty more damage than a throw. Or you could just re-grab after the dtilt if their percent is low enough.

Tenki

Smash Hero
I use dtilt out of grab release sometimes to catch people off guard. If it works, it leads into plenty more damage than a throw. Or you could just re-grab after the dtilt if their percent is low enough.
awe, you got to it first.

And grab-release>standing D-tilt is awesome vs the characters it works against, as long as your opponent doesn't do any of the following as soon as you release:
- 1-3 frame attacks (jabs, some tilts)
- hold shield
- insta-dodge

A few things about D-tilt:
- Standing D-tilt: It's a trick that Ganondorf uses pretty often, but if it saves you some frames, go for it. If you only slightly tilt the control stick downwards, you won't crouch, but hitting A will still let you do D-tilt.

- Compared to F-tilt, D-tilt:
...has slightly longer startup
...has less damage
...has slightly less range
...has noticeably less ending lag
...has 2 trajectories: upwards pop and horizontal push (+trip chance)

So D-tilt is nice when you're in the middle of your momentum/are following up with more moves, while F-tilt is more for a 'finishing'/'interruptor' move.

R4ZE

Smash Ace
well.. i try to dtilt at it's maximum range, because if u use it to close then u get punished....

if ur close enuff to get punished, u shoudla use a diff move, grab, jab maybe,, or just gtfo. lol

but rly... i wanna know... like what situations would be best for dtilt as apposed to ftilt, or visa versa. and WHY. i mean, i think most of us know the few differences of ftilt and dtilt, but am i the only one that sees them both as interchangably usable? as in... most cases that would benefit from dtilt would also benefit from ftilt?

anyway. im asking for enlightenment. =)

Tenki

Smash Hero
well.. i try to dtilt at it's maximum range, because if u use it to close then u get punished....

if ur close enuff to get punished, u shoudla use a diff move, grab, jab maybe,, or just gtfo. lol

but rly... i wanna know... like what situations would be best for dtilt as apposed to ftilt, or visa versa. and WHY. i mean, i think most of us know the few differences of ftilt and dtilt, but am i the only one that sees them both as interchangably usable? as in... most cases that would benefit from dtilt would also benefit from ftilt?

anyway. im asking for enlightenment. =)
example
F-tilt shield pokes very often.
D-tilt sucks when your opponent shields it.

Like I said, D-tilt is better when you have momentum and are planning to followup with stuff.

F-tilt is more of an 'ender' move or interruptor, since its ending lag is actually kinda noticeable.

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
Dtilt>Grab Release>Dtilt till your spaced(probably just one) >Utilt>fair.

And sometimes you can follow THAT up with spindash > fair

IASA.....Interupt as soon as.

Sonic's d-tilt has IASA frames.
During these frames you can interrupt the attack with another action. [/AUOTE]

I remember doing this to Tenki and he was all confuzzled.
Too bad THAT will never happen again. :(

:052:

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
So that's the write up for Dtilt written. Again, inform me if there's anything that you'd change and I'd do so.

Go go discussion on ftilt!
When do you use it?
Is it good offensively?
etc.

Chis

Finally a legend
NNID
ArcadianPirate
Ftilt:

4%,7% damage. Two hits if you're close. One hit if you're not. Sonic longest ranged move. Can be tilted up and down. Good for edgeguarding. Dtilt>Ftilt and Dash attack>Ftilt is good. Great for spacing too.

infomon

Smash Scientist
Isn't Fsmash longer ranged? Ftilt is awesome though, absolutely essential to my Sonic. I get punished in its lag though, both startup and ending. It's just a little slower than I'd like, so gotta be careful.

I'm still not very good at tilting it up or down. In the heat of a battle, I rarely think about how I'd prefer it to be tilted anyway. Do ppl do this much? Consciously?

I use Ftilt sometimes while edgeguarding, since it can poke out so far and low off the stage.

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
If I'm reading it right, according to DJBrowny's frame data, ftilt and dtilt come out on the same frame (6 frames.) The safety frames seem important though, ftilt being the safer move because it gives the opponent less time to react if they shield it.
I'll add frame data in and stuff on the write-ups. The 'safety' frames give us something to talk about anyway.

Napilopez

Smash Lord
I'm assuming u mean upwards range? Uair is very disjointed(it actually hits quite a bit above the tip of Sonic's shoes, test it out for urselves), which is why its very hard to ourprioritize. Lucario's Dair beats it out only because its hitbox downwards comes out faster, while uair has 2 hits. If you time and space it well, Uair will beat lucarios dair, which rox.

But yea, ftilt is awesome. I've learned to stop using fmsash for damage so muc, and use ftilt instead, as it has more rane, comes out quicker, and is generally safer. Also, I'll prolly connect with it more times anyways, so the damage tradeoff isnt large, if any.

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
Ftilt is the shizit. If you play with Sonic, you must use ftilt. It will improve your game greatly. You won't get shield grabbed if you miss, it can rack up damage and can keep your fsmash fresh for a kill. Definitely a good part of the ground game.

It's also pretty good to use OoS... I think...

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
I've always found ftilt to be pretty useful against MK if they mis-space themselves and you want a quick punisher.

It's also pretty awesome to chain from bair at low percents.

aeghrur

Smash Champion
F-Tilt is great for it's range. I used to never use it, but now I use it quite a bit. =O I like F-tilt against characters with weapons because of the range. =D It cancels quite a bit of moves too.

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
So really it depends on the spacing after a clank. i.e. a clank that leaves you FAR apart is ftilt time. A clank that's right next to each other is jabbing territory.

Boxob

Smash Champion
It can set up for Jablock combos on Wifi where people are too dumb to tech or air dodge, or move the control stick in general.

:093:

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
I love ftilt, probably somewhere high in my favorite moves for Sonic (Uair is the bomb, dash attack can lead to so many things, and Bair is such a nice killer, to name a few good moves). It has two hits if your opponent is close enough, I sometimes hit my opponents that are a little off the ground and it sends them diagonally down, in fact I think I even got a kill by doing this on the ledge once, it sent my opponent too far out and down to recover (you know what I followed up with after that). It has some nice range when jabs won't get the job down, and it has some okay range. I tend to follow up with this after I use my dash attack if it comes up too short and even a jab won't hit them, or if somehow they end up behind me it comes out fast enough to where I can use it as a GTFO move.

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
Yeah, I just did a skimpy write up of f-tilt which I'll edit later because right now I can't think of much else to write about it.
Discuss up tilt people. That move is teh feckin uber!

infomon

Smash Scientist
I used to use Up-tilt a lot, but now I have trouble getting it in my game like ever. :/ Unless I'm against someone huge like Bowser.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Isn't it possible to use an Utilt after a dash attack on the ledge if it knocks them up? Heck I think if you connect it right you can chain an Utilt from a Dtilt that doesn't send them flying away. I think the second hit of Utilt has some noticeable knockback, not to mention it has two hits and I assume the hitbox goes pretty far up and in front of Sonic. Utilt like most other attacks have very small frames at which it comes out, but it does have some minor ending lag though. :(

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
The Utilt is actually equal in speed to a jab as well. It has less range.

the U tilt also has disjointed htboxes at the end of sonic's feet. Roughly 3/4ths the size of his foot which is why it can break some high priority Dair's like Lucario's and Peach's.

The hitbox goes from the feet to the entirety of Sonic's head (second hit only).

It sets up very nicely from a Dtilt at lower percents and is a good move for fighting opponents who try to Dair you from above/ (i.e. MK).

One issue though is that its range is very poor nd once Sonic performs it the move stays out a too long for my liking.

Its a good move when put together from a Dtilt and for some anti air purposes but otherwise, its the worst tilt of the three and should not be used very often unless it is guaranteed to hit.'

If you whiff it you're begging to get smashed.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
There's a particular thread somewhere in the Sonic boards, find it and it will explain.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
I give up then, my head hurts too much right now to do any intensive thinking.

Top Bottom