• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Something bothering you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
How do you get over being depressed? -_-
basically what livvers said. this is going to sound...weird but you have to WANT to get over it, and believe that if not for you, for those around you, you should try to work towards getting better.

Smash Master
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/03/22/AR2006032202450.html

Social Science is in its infancy. We don't know what causes depression, and we sure as hell don't have a solution (well, at least for 50% of depressed people). If the pills and the counselors don't help, nothing will. Chances are the techniques for alering one's brain will improve during your lifetime, though, so don't give up yet.

I love providing the unpopular view :laugh:

Chances are nobody replying to you has ever been depressed. Take it for what it's worth.

It shouldn't really be called depression. That has such a weak connotation. When you hear that somebody is depressed, your first reaction tends to be "whatever; we all have bad days." It should be called a brainstorm, and the other type of brainstorm should be called braincrunch or something.

Proverbs

Smash Lord
Aww...:( Being depressed is no fun. I'm in the middle of (well, on the way out of) pulling myself out of it now, and it really depends on what the problem is. I'm sure everyone here would be willing to help if you're willing to tell us what's going on.

Well, I can't speak for everyone, but I'd totally be up for listening and helping you get through whatever it is that's going on. Sometimes you just need someone to listen. One of the people that helps me deal with my emotions and figuring things out is Elen. We didn't even really know each other--he was good friends with my former best friend (even though he's still the best friend I've ever had). One day I just messaged him on Smashboards and we got to talking about our mutual friend which brought up a lot of bad memories for me and we slowly starting talking about more. Now every few days he gets like a five page e-mail from me talking about what's going on (well, that's an exaggeration, but you get the picture).

It can be weird spilling your guts to a complete stranger, but sometimes that's the only way good friendships start, y'know? Anyway, although I'm a complete stranger I'd be willing to talk if you need a friend ^_^

And if all of this sounds weird--just disregard it. I just know that when I went through tough times I really wish I had someone--even someone random--who said they'd listen for as long as they needed to and would help me get through it. And sometimes I did have people like that, and the people who did have become great friends of mine--as Elen has.

It's all dependent on the situation. If you want to spill the details to one or all of us maybe we can help out a little. And unlike other people, I don't recommend shrinks. I feel like no one would need a psychiatrist if people just talked to one another, and the others listened and gave input on what's going on.

Anyway, that's my two cents. Take it for what it's worth.

DtJ Jungle

BRoomer
Proverbs is right and like him, I am wiling to listen to those with problems.

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
Thanks for the help. It's been happening for years, and I just usually "wait it out". I might need to look into a therapist soon because it's been getting worse and worse each time. =/

DtJ Jungle

BRoomer
if its definitely been happening for years, you should look into it.

you may not find results in the first professional you find, it took me 4 before i found one that really spoke to me, or one i felt realy comfortable enough talking to about how i felt.

Livvers

Used to have a porpoise
BRoomer
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/03/22/AR2006032202450.html

Social Science is in its infancy. We don't know what causes depression, and we sure as hell don't have a solution (well, at least for 50% of depressed people). If the pills and the counselors don't help, nothing will. Chances are the techniques for alering one's brain will improve during your lifetime, though, so don't give up yet.

I love providing the unpopular view :laugh:

Chances are nobody replying to you has ever been depressed. Take it for what it's worth.

It shouldn't really be called depression. That has such a weak connotation. When you hear that somebody is depressed, your first reaction tends to be "whatever; we all have bad days." It should be called a brainstorm, and the other type of brainstorm should be called braincrunch or something.
1.) It's not an unpopular view

and

2.) Stop making generalizations about people you don't know at all on the boards.

Kawaii Bunny, I only say first and foremost to talk to a therapist because they've done 9 years of studying to earn the right to counsel people. Random people to talk to may inadvertently hurt you by trying to help. Also, Jungle's advice is good.

DtJ Jungle

BRoomer
yah if you've been depressed, or felt this way for years talking to a professional and seeking someone who has studied depression is the way to go. but just hearing people say they'll listen to you helps too.

NintendoMan07

Smash Journeyman
Hmm... I'm a bit ticked off that the "professional" counselors at my college only work with students for 12 sessions a year, and I wasted all of mine last semester. And this is supposed to be free too. I guess it has something to do with tuition covering it or something.

It's kinda bad, since, considering my activity in this topic alone, I probably need it. Taking some sort of action wouldn't hurt either, but fear has a pretty tight grip on me when it comes to actually DOING something.

DtJ Jungle

BRoomer
fear of what?

go off campus, find a professional. seriously if you really want help, then you should actively search for it.

Zero Beat

Cognitive Scientist
NNID
BLUE
3DS FC
4141-3279-8878
I hate doing lab hours for classes. Got a total of 32 with my math and accounting class. Sucks balls.

Sephiroths Masamune

Shocodoro Blagshidect
My problem is that the only computer in my house is in my moms room and this is the so called "family computer" anyway the only time i can get on to smashboards is at school and cant go onto vid links plus only a short amount of time per day (during lunch and stuff)

P.S. i don't have nearly enough $ for a new computer

DtJ Jungle

BRoomer
i'm sorry to hear about the dog. Losing an animal in the family is really hard

i have a question

wtf happened to Hieme?

DtJ Jungle

BRoomer
yeah thats always a problem...

liek actua lly i ahve to like force it out of mine.

Moon of the Strawberries

Smash Journeyman
I'm angry that in my math class, everyone's failing and my teacher blames us for it. Pretty much, nobody passed the midterm, everyone does horrible on the quizzes and tests, and he thinks it's our fault. On our latest test, the highest grade was a 73. My teacher's doing a horrible job of teaching and he blames us. It's just frustrating, since my grade went way down after this last test (twelve questions, one word problem is twenty points and if you got three wrong on the first page you automatically fail it) and I won't be able to bring it back up. And yes, I go for afterschool help and go to two classes, too.

Also, kind of off topic, it still feels awkward since i'm still rather new here. Don't know anybody.

Zero Beat

Cognitive Scientist
NNID
BLUE
3DS FC
4141-3279-8878
Let me tell you something about that. It may not be your teacher's fault either. The grand majority of teachers usually have good teaching methods, but they question those methods because at times, they are in conflict with standarized methods enforced by the school board.

Maybe you should ask him if the way he teaches stems from his own approach to teaching, or is he following a certain way, required by the state.

For example, down here in Florida, a lot of public schools are hindered by the FCAT, our state test. Reason being is because teachers HAVE to follow a certain curriculum given to them by Tallahassee, our state's capital. They're supposd to teach in hopes that the students pass the test, instead of giving us broader concepts.

I'll send you a friend request, so that you know somebody now:).

Moon of the Strawberries

Smash Journeyman
Let me tell you something about that. It may not be your teacher's fault either. The grand majority of teachers usually have good teaching methods, but they question those methods because at times, they are in conflict with standarized methods enforced by the school board.

Maybe you should ask him if the way he teaches stems from his own approach to teaching, or is he following a certain way, required by the state.

For example, down here in Florida, a lot of public schools are hindered by the FCAT, our state test. Reason being is because teachers HAVE to follow a certain curriculum given to them by Tallahassee, our state's capital. They're supposd to teach in hopes that the students pass the test, instead of giving us broader concepts.

I'll send you a friend request, so that you know somebody now:).
It makes sence, but when the same thing happens with another teacher, they spend time helping students understand it better, not yell at us for 'not paying attention'.

And you're sweet, thank you :)

Smash Master
Aww...:( Being depressed is no fun. I'm in the middle of (well, on the way out of) pulling myself out of it now, and it really depends on what the problem is. I'm sure everyone here would be willing to help if you're willing to tell us what's going on.

Well, I can't speak for everyone, but I'd totally be up for listening and helping you get through whatever it is that's going on. Sometimes you just need someone to listen. One of the people that helps me deal with my emotions and figuring things out is Elen. We didn't even really know each other--he was good friends with my former best friend (even though he's still the best friend I've ever had). One day I just messaged him on Smashboards and we got to talking about our mutual friend which brought up a lot of bad memories for me and we slowly starting talking about more. Now every few days he gets like a five page e-mail from me talking about what's going on (well, that's an exaggeration, but you get the picture).

It can be weird spilling your guts to a complete stranger, but sometimes that's the only way good friendships start, y'know? Anyway, although I'm a complete stranger I'd be willing to talk if you need a friend ^_^

And if all of this sounds weird--just disregard it. I just know that when I went through tough times I really wish I had someone--even someone random--who said they'd listen for as long as they needed to and would help me get through it. And sometimes I did have people like that, and the people who did have become great friends of mine--as Elen has.

It's all dependent on the situation. If you want to spill the details to one or all of us maybe we can help out a little. And unlike other people, I don't recommend shrinks. I feel like no one would need a psychiatrist if people just talked to one another, and the others listened and gave input on what's going on.

Anyway, that's my two cents. Take it for what it's worth.
Totally agree. Listening to other people's sob stories is mutually beneficial, at least IMO.

Funny how people can say depression will be cured, and it's not a generallization for them, but I say it won't, and it is a generalization for me.

As for most people here not being depressed: well, maybe 10% of the country is legit depressed, and from what I've read, most of those people don't have a hobby, so it's not exactly a far-fetched assumption.

It prolly won't help longterm, but for now: what's on your mind, champ? :laugh:

BEHR

Smash Hero
Anybody know how to help someone who is extremely lazy?

I seem too lack motivation to succeed in school im only a freshman and failing a good portion of my classes.Im not sure if I suck at my classes and I don't understand the curriculum or that I just lack motivation to do my work and strive to succeed.My grades always have caused problems within my family and I always have pressure to do good in school.Both of my brothers are drop outs so they put alot of pressure on me.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Note I only play video games on weekends and practice like one hour a day at melee during the weekdays.

:)

Zero Beat

Cognitive Scientist
NNID
BLUE
3DS FC
4141-3279-8878
Count the hours you spend on non-school work a day, and begin to incorporate homework or readings into it.

Make the greatest attempt ever to stop daydreaming about melee in class. Because I'm sure you do. :mad::)

In the end, it's all about developing a habit of managing school and putting it before video games.

Prioritize schoolwork over anything, although avoid going to extremes because that may also cause you to go "**** that ****, too much stress on my mind."

Oh, that's the best I can do in terms of advice, because I am the most irresponsible ******* ever when it comes to getting **** done. Always leave it for the last day. -_- My grades are good though.

Smash Master
Anybody know how to help someone who is extremely lazy?

I seem too lack motivation to succeed in school im only a freshman and failing a good portion of my classes.Im not sure if I suck at my classes and I don't understand the curriculum or that I just lack motivation to do my work and strive to succeed.My grades always have caused problems within my family and I always have pressure to do good in school.Both of my brothers are drop outs so they put alot of pressure on me.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Note I only play video games on weekends and practice like one hour a day at melee during the weekdays.

:)
Put it in perspective. If you fail in school, you're screwed for life. You'll never make a living wage, and you'll starve to death on the street. If you don't play melee for the rest of they year, you'll only be miserable for the rest of the year.

AfroQT

Smash Master
Put it in perspective. If you fail in school, you're screwed for life. You'll never make a living wage, and you'll starve to death on the street. If you don't play melee for the rest of they year, you'll only be miserable for the rest of the year.
All i saw from this was play melee ...more.

Afrotaki

Gay skies today.
BRoomer
Hi guys, it's great to see you out today!

I'm really here to talk to you today about the importance of Democracy, and, more specifically, voting. Now, everyone knows that voting is a great thing to do, but few people are aware of just how important it is.

The fact is, voting is not an option. If you fail to vote, you will die. I'm sorry to tell you, but it's science. So, really, your only option is to go vote; here's where I come in.

Now, as you may or may not know, I should be modded for Clan Grounds. This is also rooted in science. Combine the two, and the choice is obvious; if you don't go vote for me right now, you will die.

So go on over to my campaign thread and let me know how you feel! http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=228253

And remember - I just saved your life!

D

Deleted member

I had a problem today. I was disappointed that Arfo is not a mod of the Clan Grounds. That was always my dream, but my dreams were crushed. But now, you can make my dream a reality by voting to make him a mod. The link is above. Please make me happy, because if you don't, the staffs will be notified of your cyber-bullying.

Skrah

Smash Ace
Afro, don't talk about negative things here. We are in a thread especially made for people with emotional disorders, so you're bad vibes would only cause more depression, and I'm afraid I can't allow depression.

So you have been warned. The mods will be alerted if you continue to depress me and anyone in this thread.

Afrotaki

Gay skies today.
BRoomer
We are in a thread especially made for people with emotional disorders, so you're bad vibes would only cause more depression, and I'm afraid I can't allow depression.
Looks like I'mma have to call the GRAMMAR HAMMER, boy! If you had bad vibes, they would be your bad vibes, but if you were bad vibes, then you're bad vibes.

UH!

James, while John had had "had," had had "had had"; "had had" had had a better effect on the teacher.

Afrotaki

Gay skies today.
BRoomer
Let's do it. GRAMMAR THROWDOOOOOOOOWN.

Someone has to judge though. Meet me in Forum Games. You start the thread; I'll be waiting.

*snake eyes*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom