• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Some rules I followed to get better, by LunInSpectra

Status
Not open for further replies.

XLR8

Smash Journeyman
Holy crap.

I just read this thread.

Omg Sora... rofl. Just out of curiosity, exactly what level of reputation do you have? -48? -49?

So besides the fact that Sora is such a total noob (oh, and I love Mookie's last post lol, so true), my favorite part of this thread were the two extremely contredicting statements made by HugS and FAST_LIKE_TREE...

HugS said:
FLT seems like a nice guy. He seems like he'd be willing to go a bit easy on you...
FASTLIKETREE said:
Why does everyone feel the need to shake his[Sora's] confidence? =)
<3 FLT, he has to be my favorite Fox in the world, he's got the funniest posts too :laugh:

Seriously though, lmao, imagine if Sora was Ken (he's not, but the thought is damn funny)... If I was Ken I would totally do something like this at least once...

Picitt

Smash Apprentice
I read this whole thing and I really feel I need to say my piece(s):

1. I cannot spell and I have poor grammar. Need to get this one out there

2. LunInSpectra: Nice post but more elaboration would be great. On all of the 7 things I think you could expand more but nice work

3. Sora Bashers: Please stop. He is cocky and rude. We all know. He doesn't care what you have to say so leave him alone. Most of the bashing is dumb and just gives him more ammo to argue over. He may beat FLT and win $70 and prove himself. Lets just see what happens.

4. Sora: There are 4 real possibilites
1. You don't play FLT
2. He beats you horribly
3. He just beats you
4. You win

You don't have to play him. If you want to do it but done string it along and then back out. If you win you have skills and you gain alot of respect. If you even do OK people may start to respect you. If you lose fine. Get better and play the game. No need to make a big deal out of a loss.

You don't have to prove yourself to anyone if you don't want to. But you must realize how you sound when you say you are a great player. You sound like a cocky, unproven unknown. You may be great but no one knows. Make a video. You don't give away your strategy by making a video. If that were true anyone who you ever played would know all of your secrets. Why are you trying to fight everyone. I see 3 main possibilies:

1. You have no life and way too much time.
2. You are just cocky and like to brag
3. You want to improve
4. You want respect

1. You told us you have one so thats out.

2. Can't help you there

3. This isn't the way to do it. Play people who are better, read this site and practice.

4. Its not working. If you want respect prove yourself and show everyone what you can do. You don't have to prove yourself but thats how you get respect. You can argue without insulting people. Your attackers have done the same and they are at fault also. You can present facts for your side to prove your point. Belittling people does nothing especially after you get mad at others for doing the same. We all start as nobody and we build a reputation from there. I was a nobody and I still probably am but I feel that I have build a small reputation by being respectful and making intelligent posts. That is how all of the most respected people in the community have done it and that is something you may want to try.

dcx1287

Smash Lord
Sora - looks like we'll be leaving from austin around 12 PM; we should arrive around 2 PM (hopefully).

but this is to be expected, as college students we are never on time, so the original plan of arriving at 12 PM is no longer in effect. anyways just wanted to let you know.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
3. Sora Bashers: Please stop. He is cocky and rude. We all know. He doesn't care what you have to say so leave him alone. Most of the bashing is dumb and just gives him more ammo to argue over. He may beat FLT and win $70 and prove himself. Lets just see what happens.
I'm sorry, but bashing a n00b is one of the most enjoyable internet passtimes. If you have been around as long as I have you will have seen a lot of n00bs. I once had a mentality like you, but ultimately it was destroyed by the barrage of n00bs who kept talking ****, and you get to the point where you stop trying to be friendly to them and look forward to destroying them in any way possible.

I hope they record a match of Sora and 2 friends vs FLT, that **** would be badass. Funniest crap ever.

Mr.C

Smash Master
Reason 1: Was for publicity needed to draw in lots-o-attention
Reason 2: the wager, If I somehow did win ( Which i wont ), will forever been known as the kid who retired FLT.
Reason 3: My dream... I want to show the world that i can become a great ninja and i will become the next HOKAGE ( KEN ) no matter what it takes, then finally everyone would stop looking down on me , And give me the respect i deserve, BELIEVE IT ! * throws his left hand into the air wildly while saying this, all Narutoish likeish-ness.* That is my dream to become the next Hokage ( Ken ) FLT and XELIC are nothing more than part of my chunin exam, A wall blocking my way, And I will break threw.... Believe it.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: nah im kidding, peach im out * Does this all h1roshi like *
that is the gayest post ive ever seen on smashboards
grats

Xelic

Smash Ace
HAY GISE, sooo...we aren't going to be having a video camera...we can take pictures of the results on our phones...and then take pictures of those with a camera...and uplaod them...

...SO YEAH WE'RE GOING NOW BAI.

ForestSage

Smash Journeyman
No video camera!?!? :( :( :( :( :(

*impersonates Vader* Noooooooooooooooo!

Dang, that sucks.

Then I expect miticulous detail of how the match went.

Matsuki222p

Smash Journeyman
Wow rey, nice work! I agree with everything you've mentioned, and it all makes perfect sense too, those mental habits really do define a skilled player. i agree with gameangel in that smashers today tend to lean more towards their 'technical flashiness' sure, a guy can wavedash and lcancel perfectly all the time, but is it still considered skillful if u wavedash perfectly into my "FALCOOOOON PUUNNNNCHHH!'???? I think not =P
I agree, this person i know can wavedash and l-cancel perfectly, yet i always 3 stock him. My other friend who plays as shiek and never wavedashes or l-cancels can always get a win from him. I think over thinking the situation like eliminating their possibilities based on what they've done before and actually acknowledging the situation is a hard task in a matter of 1-2 seconds, I think you have to base your playing off of what your char can do and what your options are, not focuing too much on your opponents. Usually learning you opponents style and predictability is learned through a repetitious act like a fox drillshining a peach say 4 times. After the dair the peach tries to shield grab the fox but is hit by the shine. After 4 times she sheilds the dair and the shine, therefore learning what the fox does through repetition. Also in my opinion the habits that you mentioned LunInSpectra are true.

controlfreak7

Smash Ace
well its 4:22 P.M. in texas right now so I'm assuming the winner is determined, who is the winner though and when is the video going to be online? We didn't see a last post today from sora to recognize what dcx said. Meh I just want to be one of the first to see sora get ***** to hell.

Lol, I like it when Sora said is it too late to back down, that was way too funny. Obviously, he is trying to make it look sarcastic, but he is probably so serious its going to make him **** in his pants.

Sora Keyblade Master

Smash Journeyman
well its 4:22 P.M. in texas right now so I'm assuming the winner is determined, who is the winner though and when is the video going to be online? We didn't see a last post today from sora to recognize what dcx said. Meh I just want to be one of the first to see sora get ***** to hell.

Lol, I like it when Sora said is it too late to back down, that was way too funny. Obviously, he is trying to make it look sarcastic, but he is probably so serious its going to make him **** in his pants.
hmm, well i got what i wanted they came over n stuff, but they didnt have the cam so it really didnt mater anymore. Anyway my goal was to fight against one of the best to see where i currently stood as a UGP. Well once we sat down n everything he got falco first, they threw me off because i thought he was fox player, no biggy tho. I wanted to see exactly how he played, so i didnt start off full power. They way he played or plays it wasent sure if he was serious or if he was just playing around. so i was all like " Hey man , are you playing seriously it looks as if your just toying around " then i saw thats how he really played, i was i kinda dispointed. Just from watching his stlye of playing it was very unfimilare to what i was acustom in the previous tourny ive been in. Afther that i was like " from the way he was playing it i know wont be able to beat him " so i really didnt even try, i think he kinda knew it, so we went on ahead and finished it off n stuff. Anyway i dont much time now, so ill give the full details monday

XLR8

Smash Journeyman
I wanted to see exactly how he played, so i didnt start off full power. They way he played or plays it wasent sure if he was serious or if he was just playing around. so i was all like " Hey man , are you playing seriously it looks as if your just toying around " then i saw thats how he really played, i was i kinda dispointed. Just from watching his stlye of playing it was very unfimilare to what i was acustom in the previous tourny ive been in. Afther that i was like " from the way he was playing it i know wont be able to beat him " so i really didnt even try
That gets a big LMAO!

Sora, did you pay Wes?

Xelic

Smash Ace
Okay, we're back in Austin now.

Yes, Sora paid just like he said he would, and he and his friends are nice in real life. But they did get pwned.

And yes Sora, Wes was doing pretty badly with Falco, but you saw what he was capable of for the most part when he was doing the infinite to you on FD as Fox. That's not the best he can play, but he was doing alright.

Sora and his friends would actually be very good if they had proper training and the chance to play good people more often. They were talking big to get us to drive up there and play them, all that stuff about the tournaments wasn't true, so everyone can calm down now.

There were many lessons to be learned:

Why you shouldn't fight a Peach on Hyrule
Why you shouldn't fight a Fox on Hyrule (AKA Why Hyrule is banned)
Why you shouldn't play with Team Attack OFF (Yeah, we did some double Falco here)

But they were very willing to learn, and we had a good time.

GG to everyone who has participated in this topic.

<3

HugS

Smash Champion
Southern California (818) San fernando valley
hmm, well i got what i wanted they came over n stuff, but they didnt have the cam so it really didnt mater anymore. Anyway my goal was to fight against one of the best to see where i currently stood as a UGP. Well once we sat down n everything he got falco first, they threw me off because i thought he was fox player, no biggy tho. I wanted to see exactly how he played, so i didnt start off full power. They way he played or plays it wasent sure if he was serious or if he was just playing around. so i was all like " Hey man , are you playing seriously it looks as if your just toying around " then i saw thats how he really played, i was i kinda dispointed. Just from watching his stlye of playing it was very unfimilare to what i was acustom in the previous tourny ive been in. Afther that i was like " from the way he was playing it i know wont be able to beat him " so i really didnt even try, i think he kinda knew it, so we went on ahead and finished it off n stuff. Anyway i dont much time now, so ill give the full details monday
What the hell is a UGP?

What the hell are you trying to say? You were dissapointed in the way he played?
But that same style of play made you realize that you had no chance of winning? What the hell do you mean? We're you dissapointed in his style of play because it was so effective? What are you saying?

Get ****ing owned.

So in retrospect, was this the same typical story I had been through so many times before? The same cocky noob situation that I was saying this would be? Or were you that ONE exception that you said you would be?

BIG ****ING NO to that one.

You are pretty much the same cocky *** noob that gets his *** handed to him after thinking he'd change the way the game is played.
I now expect you to never attend a pro tournament and dissapear, since that is what all the others do.

GG.
You suck, you talked ****, you acted as if you knew it all.

You got your *** beat. Now you're going to try to act like you knew this would happen all along. Shut the **** up, please.

I guess all us Die Hard Smashboards fans knew what we were talking about.

I was right, you were dead ****ing wrong.

Good job FLT and Xelic for regulating.

SPAWN

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
spaw#333
Too bad you didn't record any of the matches. :(

dcx1287

Smash Lord
Anyways for people who like specifics -

match 1: flt (falco) vs sora (link) Hyrule 5 stocked
match 2: flt (fox) vs sora (link) FD 5 stocked
match 3: flt (falcon) vs sora (young link) fourside 5 stocked
match 4: flt (marth) vs sora (fox) 5 stocked

flt won the set 4-0, then they played a lot of friendlies.

sora and his friends are extremely well-mannered and nice. They took the defeat with humility and showed interest in learning more.

controlfreak7

Smash Ace
Lol sora, you were dead from the start mother****er. I told you we couuld have concluded this 4 weeks ago? when this **** all started you ****ing nub, I don't give a **** what you say at this point and whether or not you are going to quit. "I was dissapointed blah blah" **** you ***** you were dissappointed cause you knew you were ****ed. Finally you got owned so you can see what we were talking about for a ****ing month.

On a sidenote ecstastic good sport? Hugs wasn't the one playing, Hugs was one of the people that knew he was going to get owned. Why did Hugs respond in such a way? Sora didn't admit defeat even after he got owned, look at his excuses in that post. So don't do this sarcastic crap.

Now hopefully this freaking thread can get back to normal.

Aiser

Smash Lord
He may have not admitted it, but you egging it on doesn't help. He probably knows he can't compete with the best now so please stop egging it on, the whole "bash sora!" was fun for a whilenow its ********.

Lixivium

Smash Champion
Afther that i was like " from the way he was playing it i know wont be able to beat him " so i really didnt even try, i think he kinda knew it, so we went on ahead and finished it off n stuff. Anyway i dont much time now, so ill give the full details monday
NO JOHNS SONNYBOY

Realizzle

Smash Cadet
ROFL @ SORA!!!!

Afther that i was like " from the way he was playing it i know wont be able to beat him " so i really didnt even try, i think he kinda knew it, so we went on ahead and finished it off n stuff. Anyway i dont much time now, so ill give the full details monday
translation: i was getting my *** kicked. i knew i was going to lose so i didn't try as hard that's the only reason i got *****.

who the **** "doesn't try" when $70 is on the line???

EDIT: oh yea almost forgot, this sort of goes without saying but good **** flt and xelic for shutting sora down. another win for smashboards. you ***** his **** in the money match THANK YOU!

sora - now time to pay up the other part of your bargain. do you remember what you said? you said "if flt loses he has to quit smash forever." well looks like that ain't happening. do you remember your part though? if you lose, you have to issue a FORMAL apology so i want to hear it.

sorry if i sound like a total ******* but i think it's ok. to everyone who thinks i'm a **** for asking sora to apologize: please look at sora's posting history and then tell me he doesn't deserve it

oh yea ATTN SORA: please read lunin's post:

http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=1758298#post1758298

and tell me he wasn't right on the ****ing dot. i use him as an examle cuz he made an exceptionally eloquent post (HugS did too plus brookman but i can't find theirs at the moment). really, everyone in the thread said the same message.

then please read your BS responses to everyone and think about it now that you realize everyone was right and you were foolish.

HugS

Smash Champion
Southern California (818) San fernando valley
He may have not admitted it, but you egging it on doesn't help. He probably knows he can't compete with the best now so please stop egging it on, the whole "bash sora!" was fun for a whilenow its ********.
Aiser, you are awesome and everything, but i think you are incorrect.

The whole bash sora thing was fun.

But now...this has reached all new levels of fun. Cuz it was all thrown back in his face. I admit my post was a little much. But it was fueled by the fact that even after losing he STILL tried to find ways to belittle all the people who knew better.

A good sport would have admitted defeat in every way. He tried to hide insults in his admission to defeat. Out of here with that crap. He's a sore loser in my book.

I'm done though, that post said everything I wanted to say. :)

Plus, you must understand that this is probably the first time that I wasn't able to beat the sense into the player. So i had to vent somehow.

y2kbakura

Smash Journeyman
does this mean if i talk trash a pro will come to play me?
YAYUUZZZZ!!!!!!!
alrigth here goes

im the best in this game
i can win withouth l-canceling,WD,dashdancing,chaintrowing,spacing and i can beat anybody on poke floats , and hyrule temple

i want everybody to play me at MLG,
that includes you Hugs
I want to play againts the dirty Falco killer, Samus.
up-b out of shield*yikes*

Cyphus

BRoomer
BRoomer
NOTE:
THESE ARE HABITS! HABITS! HABITS!
When you take a piss do you think about washing your hands after or do you just do it?

actually I, and I believe most others, think about it.
sometimes getting wet and cold and consuming another minute of your time is worth not doing for that psychological containment that you're "clean"
I for one, usually donnot wash my hands, and it crosses my mind every time.

As oposed to washing my hands (assuming i don't spend an entire minute drying them) and shaking hands with someone afterward, knowing that person is going to feel that moisture, and then somewhere in the back of my head i feel the unneccessary urge to have to explain to him that my hands are wet because i washed them recently...
i'd much rather just not wash my hands in the first place. He can have virturally unnoticable amounts of ***** dust and urine driplets for all i care.

theFalcoMasta

Smash Apprentice
Anyways for people who like specifics -

match 1: flt (falco) vs sora (link) Hyrule 5 stocked
match 2: flt (fox) vs sora (link) FD 5 stocked
match 3: flt (falcon) vs sora (young link) fourside 5 stocked
match 4: flt (marth) vs sora (fox) 5 stocked

flt won the set 4-0, then they played a lot of friendlies.

ouch...

sora i would advise you not to sit down for a while, because it looks like you got utterly *** *****.

i want to hear an actual apology from you and i want to see you admit defeat like a man.

if you admit defeat, admit you were wrong, apologize to all the people who you talked **** to, then I will actually consider you to be noble and honorable and i will let your past actions slide.

so do yourself a favor and start apologizing (be sincere plz) and admit the loss like a man. losing makes you stronger anyway, one of your friends said that (think it was ultra nova) so take his advice but before you worry about that please settle your affairs here.

sorry to get this off topic once again; i think after a few days this issue will completely disappear from the thread.

i will end by commenting on the true thread at hand -

lunin i think you did a superb job of breaking the game down into the 7 essential core elements that all pro+advanced players use.

The most novel aspect of this thread was the use of an actual example to explain all of your points. I anticipate this thread will help many smashers to break out of their current skill "shell" and start progressing faster than they normally would.

of course, nothing is a substitute for sheer experience. experience playing other good people is ultimately the only way to hone these 7 qualities.

Lab Rat™

Smash Journeyman
best thread ever, i only recently stopped playing the stupid-offensive style and picked up the calm play style. you really just put all my thoughts into words, i didnt think that was possible. i still have bad emotional control because when i am getting combo'd on it kind of de-motivates me, but i need to work on that some more... really really awesome job lunin i loved it

y2kbakura

Smash Journeyman
NOTE:
When you take a piss do you think about washing your hands after or do you just do it?

sometimes getting wet and cold and consuming another minute of your time is worth not doing for that psychological containment that you're "clean"

As oposed to washing my hands (assuming i don't spend an entire minute drying them) and shaking hands with someone afterward, knowing that person is going to feel that moisture, and then somewhere in the back of my head i feel the unneccessary urge to have to explain to him that my hands are wet because i washed them recently...
i'd much rather just not wash my hands in the first place. He can have virturally unnoticable amounts of ***** dust and urine driplets for all i care.
you sir are disgusting:urg:
thats why i no longer shake hands at tournamnets

LunInSpectra

Smash Lord
stackoverflow.com/users/1459556/rey-gonzales
NOTE:

You are right within your Own mindset, but I never said they DON'T THINK ABOUT IT. This is what I'm talking about:

Pretend a pro had tools, 7 tools. They KNOW how the tools work & can use them proficiently. They still think to use them, but they don't have to think about Other things, for example, they don't need an 8th tool because they know all they need is 7. The habits are more like Tools, not the action themselves.

I updated the article by a little bit, I added conditioning to unpredictability. Its a very small update and isn't finish yet.

controlfreak7

Smash Ace
Aiser, you are awesome and everything, but i think you are incorrect.

The whole bash sora thing was fun.

But now...this has reached all new levels of fun. Cuz it was all thrown back in his face. I admit my post was a little much. But it was fueled by the fact that even after losing he STILL tried to find ways to belittle all the people who knew better.

A good sport would have admitted defeat in every way. He tried to hide insults in his admission to defeat. Out of here with that crap. He's a sore loser in my book.

I'm done though, that post said everything I wanted to say. :)

Plus, you must understand that this is probably the first time that I wasn't able to beat the sense into the player. So i had to vent somehow.

I agree. Aiser I really don't like how you say its reetarded and try to make it look likes it a law or official, next time say that its your opinion cause I simply don't like it when people state opinion as fact.

SPAWN

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
spaw#333
^^ ROFL at Cyphus's post. Cyphus is the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom