• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SoCal Power Rankings (October 28, 2007)- Will the update ever happen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
he can one day come to realize...

EzynJAY

Smash Lord
he can one day come to realize...

*you're a ******* joe*
wow way to kill it jake LOL u should get like neg 100000000000000000 rep u ruined my day
=( jp but yea jay for top 20 ^^ that guy is getting crazy

MorbTheLuigi

Smash Ace
MikeHaze didn't i 3 stock you today
dude put them videos from yesterday up already i wanna remanice!!!
gots ta look back
Morb for top 20? hahaha j/k

LuCKy

Smash Master
mango for top 20 in the west minester bi weekly he beat ultra luigi,wolf,arash and others he got fith i belive but he is too good

LuCKy

Smash Master
\

b!tches, I didn't get 4stocked wtf o.O
mrPbody u r kool and all but mango four stocked u the first day u met him if u remember lol thats 1 of the many reasons mango should be top 20 ..................rofl four stock:chuckle:

LuCKy

Smash Master
maybe but that was like the first day mango came into the smash comunity and had no tourney xperience or anything just friendlys with me for like a year and a half and to four stock some guy that was ranked @ that time mango is good and really should be on the list but i guess the problem is who is going 2 leave when he beats more big people

nublet06

Smash Lord
well dont be dissapointed if he doesnt make it next list. there are so many people that are on the verge of making it. and when people are THIS new to the community...sometimes it takes a while to figure out something......for instance lets say mango was really bad agaisnt marth and people started counter picking, it might really mess up his results.

mikeHAZE

Smash Legend
mrPbody u r kool and all but mango four stocked u the first day u met him if u remember lol thats 1 of the many reasons mango should be top 20 ..................rofl four stock:chuckle:
friendlies don't matter..

i think ROFL stated that already, so im probably reapeatign other people..

Aesis

Smash Ace
I was looking at NorCal Power Rankings thread and Sheridan brought up a good talking point that they're discussing right now, actually.

This is what he posted:
Hey guys, I want to bring one point to everyone's attention regarding what we use as input for our rankings.

Should money matches be fair game to use as part of our basis for rankings?

I did some thinking about the nature of money matches earlier today. What is the point of a money match? Ostensibly the goal is to win money, but that's not all there is to it, necessarily. Sure some money matches may be purely for fun and excitement over cash stakes, but I think in many cases, the point of the money match is so that 2 people can get the best of their opponents at whatever time they decide, instead of just waiting until the next time they face each other in a tourney, which can often be months.

So, I think it is totally appropriate that if you want to prove that you can beat X person in a tourney set to money match them. Following this, I also think it may make sense to take money matches at a similar value to tourney matches (assuming they aren't for $.01).

Of course we'd have to have a standard to judge them by; I think they should be 3/5 using approximately NCB rules (players could agree to slightly different rules regarding stage banning, etc.), and I'd say $5 minimum. $5 because it's about half of a double elim tourney entrance fee, and it's a general standard bet in any case. And there's no harm done in refusing a MM either.

So lemme know what you all think about this.
(Posted on Page 53 of NorCal Power Rankings thread)

Discuss?
I agree with Sheridan on all points, except maybe the amount minimum. Smashers aren't rich, and I don't think having to gamble $5 every time you want to challenge is appealing to most of the community.

Personally I haven't given it too much thought because I am too lazy to think about it right now.

(btw I'm sure the SoCal panelists have already discussed this so it's not copypasta ^_^)

emerican

Smash Ace
-I agree because it does somewhat simulate a tourney match because people are gonna have the attitude of "****, this guys gonna take my money if i dont step it up"

-I also think it holds more credibility rather than "i beat player x many times in friendly matches" and eliminates the "i was sandbagging" john.

also.. in some cases, a person may not ever face someone in a tourney match to get a chance to show what they can do...
-and in rare cases, well known players wont even think about playing a match with an unknown player unless its for money.

Arash

Smash Lord
i don't know what the opinion is on the entire panel, but i personally think that unless it's for like $10 or higher money matches shouldn't count

why $10? well it's obvious that if it's too low, like $1, then neither party is guaranteed to care too much about it. it's up for debate whether or not $5 is too low, but i would like to think that the players would earn enough to cover the tourney cost, and usually it's like $10-20 depending on the tournament.

if both players are poor and really try over the $5, though, then i suppose it is on the same level as a tournament match... but again that's just my opinion.

nealdt

BRoomer
BRoomer
My opinion on money matches:

They are far too difficult to track. Any attempt to consider every money match between ranked players during a rankings period is doomed to fail. And, as Arash points out, people just aren't motivated to win low-dollar money matches. In fact, most of SoCal seems to think that the correct action after winning a money match is to play another to give your opponent a chance to win it back. If that's the case, how can we really say both players are trying to their fullest?

Of course, there are truly times when two players participate in a money match and play their best, and we can't blindly throw those results away. So if someone were to approach me and say "Hey, so and so beat me in a $5 money match. It was really close, but the rules were legit and he did a great job to take me out. I think you should consider that for power rankings"; how could I ignore that?

So that's my opinion on the subject. I frankly don't care if Jay just beat Fabian in yet another money match. But if you beat someone big and that person tells me about it, then I will definitely bring it up in the panel.

I dunno how the other panelists feel.

EzynJAY

Smash Lord
My opinion on money matches:

They are far too difficult to track. Any attempt to consider every money match between ranked players during a rankings period is doomed to fail. And, as Arash points out, people just aren't motivated to win low-dollar money matches. In fact, most of SoCal seems to think that the correct action after winning a money match is to play another to give your opponent a chance to win it back. If that's the case, how can we really say both players are trying to their fullest?

Of course, there are truly times when two players participate in a money match and play their best, and we can't blindly throw those results away. So if someone were to approach me and say "Hey, so and so beat me in a $5 money match. It was really close, but the rules were legit and he did a great job to take me out. I think you should consider that for power rankings"; how could I ignore that?

So that's my opinion on the subject. I frankly don't care if Jay just beat Fabian in yet another money match. But if you beat someone big and that person tells me about it, then I will definitely bring it up in the panel.

I dunno how the other panelists feel.

wait i never said i beat fabian in a mm =( lol ^_^ mms are hard to track tournies seem to be the best way thats how it was with david he was beating ranked ppl in mms all over the place but his tourney placings were still low so if some1 new beats a lot of ranked ppl but has poor tourney performance it doesnt look to good ^_~ i did beat fabian in tourney though ^_^ but i lose to anyone ranked when i play them so it doesnt matter lol

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
SOCAL is gay. Every time we decide to do a new list, someone random noob/s decide to get good and automatically invalidates the list when its released.

haha HugS already wants to make a new SPR. :):):)

StuperDuperMan

Smash Journeyman
Lets start discussing the old panelists who are getting off of the panel and who should potentially replace them. I don't think it should necessarily be by one per crew, but i do agree that input needs to come from people of good minds, not of ******** bias. hence, hugo is no longer a panelist lol jk. but in all honesty, since panda/cao? are no longer gonna be panelist, i personally nominate edrees (if you guys dont think 2 deepsocal is a horrible idea). Him being from my crew has nothing to do with it really, he is just 1) sensible 2) well acquainted with the so cal smashers 3) has OOS experience 4) can be trusted to put rankings appropriately.

ive also talked a lot to ROFL about smash (**** talk? hahaha jk) and i think if palmdale needs representation, then im going to definitely have to go with ROFL.

id say right now, im really comfortable with HugS, Nealdt, and Arash on the panel since they seem to be most professional. Ken's input would be great, but he seems mad at the panel from his posts so thats his choice if he wants to continue. and didn't panda say hes resigning?

Champ, learn English hahahaha jk.

well this is just to get the ball rolling.

e40 out... whoops thats not me ;) hahaha sorry evan that **** is too funny LOL

nublet06

Smash Lord
lol heck no i shouldnt be on the rankings. the only good thing about me is ill always be online to revise the list, because im on way too much. (im the only reason neal even has to sign on for moding) besides that people will just get angry for me placing myself in the top 5 every time. plus i hate a lot of people and will try my best to get them off the rankings. **** YOU BOA

edrees for sure tho. he doesnt get in any arguements with people to create some sort of bias. i think hes a nice fit for a position.

EzynJAY

Smash Lord
i think i should be a panalist i know a lot about socal since i play with a wide range of socal from pdale to compton ^_~ and im not really biased towards anyone since im not in a crew and im online a lot lol. plus im in like 5 ppls sigs thats 2 clean ^^

Arash

Smash Lord
i second edrees as a possible panel member...

a palmdale-ian would probably also work to our benefit:)

Aesis

Smash Ace
For Palmdale I would like to nominate ROFL or myself ;D.

Both ROFL and I are acquainted with the rest of the SoCal community, but I suppose I'm more versed with its history? If that even matters.

But yeah, ROFL has more time, I'm currently getting ***** by school. I would definitely make it if we were to convene though.

Better yet, how about two Palmdale? It's not like we think we're soooo much better than Deep Socal or Superfriends. We've already shown we can hang!

REL

Smash Apprentice
Too many panelists = long time to deliberate. I say just bring in two to replace Cao and Panda. Definitely Edrees cause of the reasons everyone else has stated, and his awareness of the San Diego scene. And with all the up-and-comers from Palmdale, someone needs to keep track of that lonely desert town. ROFL or Aesis, either can do the job.

AzN_Lep

Smash Champion
Well not that it needs to be said anymore, but Edrees is the man for the spot. I agree with REL, except we should probably just replace the 2 or 3 missing panelist with just Edrees. Too many chefs take 4 months to bake a new power rankings.

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
I give my spot to Edrees. He's from San Diego ANNNNND a Peach player. Congratulations Edrees :):):):):)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom