• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SoCal Power Rankings (October 28, 2007)- Will the update ever happen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HugS

Smash Champion
Southern California (818) San fernando valley
lol i have no say in the decesions anyways, whatever I say usually gets over ruled due to dictatorship.

and yes props to Edreese for taking time to think that the last Biweekly was not included thus Gary is not mentioned.
DUDE Ken! Why do you feel it's ok to come call us out in front of everyone by saying that you have no say in decisions?

The fact of the matter is; YOU ARE THE ONLY REASON manacloud wasn't dropped to 7/8. So i guess that means you always get over ruled and no one listens to what you say, right?

Please dude, we comprimise, we don't over rule. You just didn't like the comprimising. Stop acting like a victim.

So, as for ROFL, He obviously deserves top 20, he obviously will be top 20 next list. As for this list, we stopped counting new tournaments after best of 2006. Why? Because this list takes a lot to create, and if we keep adding new tournaments, we will keep having to start over. And at the time ROFL only had 1 tournament under his belt, best of 06. While his performance was incredibly impressive, we felt that one tournament just barely missed the cut of being enough to boost him past people with literally years of history under their belts. It's always good to see more than 1 tourney's results to make sure that the player's performance wasn't a fluke. In new events, ROFL has had more than 1 impressive tourney under his belt, and there is no doubt that he will enter the next list in good fashion. We just couldn't include those at this time.

Aesis, you have history on your side which is why you haven't dropped far below your crew members. Changes can come, but they will come gradually.

Rome dropped one spot only becuase he we inactive for a whole period so we couldn't assume that he deserved a bump to top 10, but we also COULD assume that he was better than 15-20, because he *****, and you just don't lose skill like that out of nowhere.

THE FOLLOWING IS THE MOST IMPORTANT THING TO UNDERSTAND:

Now, Let's discuss BOA/DC. The nature of these lists are CUMULATIVE. The fact is, we move people up or down based on their old placings. This automatically means we include old results even if we don't discuss them. Because the lists are cumulative, you have to realize that we consider a player's history, and BOA/DC do NOT have amazing histories. So what this does is it moves these players up GRADUALLY as opposed to having them move up a ridiculous amount of spots. And even then, boa moved in at 15 which is huge for being below 25 before this list. Same with DC.

Now, why is it better to move people up Gradually as opposed to just drastically moving them around based on current trends? Simple, you have to ask yourself a question:

If you are OK with BOA moving into the top 10 based on his current record...
are you OK with Ken moving down below top 10 if he starts ****ing up during a certain period?

"But Hugo, ken has such a good history that it wouldn't be right to drop him below 10th even if he starts ****ing up"
EXACTLY!
Just as it wouldn't be right to skyrocket a player with awful history just because he's been performing well as of late.

It's generally the same concept when moving players up or down. History comes into play in both ways. And using a player's history is the best way to do it.

Aesis

Smash Ace
DUDE Ken! Why do you feel it's ok to come call us out in front of everyone by saying that you have no say in decisions?

The fact of the matter is; YOU ARE THE ONLY REASON manacloud wasn't dropped to 7/8. So i guess that means you always get over ruled and no one listens to what you say, right?

Please dude, we comprimise, we don't over rule. You just didn't like the comprimising. Stop acting like a victim.

So, as for ROFL, He obviously deserves top 20, he obviously will be top 20 next list. As for this list, we stopped counting new tournaments after best of 2006. Why? Because this list takes a lot to create, and if we keep adding new tournaments, we will keep having to start over. And at the time ROFL only had 1 tournament under his belt, best of 06. While his performance was incredibly impressive, we felt that one tournament just barely missed the cut of being enough to boost him past people with literally years of history under their belts. It's always good to see more than 1 tourney's results to make sure that the player's performance wasn't a fluke. In new events, ROFL has had more than 1 impressive tourney under his belt, and there is no doubt that he will enter the next list in good fashion. We just couldn't include those at this time.

Aesis, you have history on your side which is why you haven't dropped far below your crew members. Changes can come, but they will come gradually.

Rome dropped one spot only becuase he we inactive for a whole period so we couldn't assume that he deserved a bump to top 10, but we also COULD assume that he was better than 15-20, because he *****, and you just don't lose skill like that out of nowhere.

THE FOLLOWING IS THE MOST IMPORTANT THING TO UNDERSTAND:

Now, Let's discuss BOA/DC. The nature of these lists are CUMULATIVE. The fact is, we move people up or down based on their old placings. This automatically means we include old results even if we don't discuss them. Because the lists are cumulative, you have to realize that we consider a player's history, and BOA/DC do NOT have amazing histories. So what this does is it moves these players up GRADUALLY as opposed to having them move up a ridiculous amount of spots. And even then, boa moved in at 15 which is huge for being below 25 before this list. Same with DC.

Now, why is it better to move people up Gradually as opposed to just drastically moving them around based on current trends? Simple, you have to ask yourself a question:

If you are OK with BOA moving into the top 10 based on his current record...
are you OK with Ken moving down below top 10 if he starts ****ing up during a certain period?

"But Hugo, ken has such a good history that it wouldn't be right to drop him below 10th even if he starts ****ing up"
EXACTLY!
Just as it wouldn't be right to skyrocket a player with awful history just because he's been performing well as of late.

It's generally the same concept when moving players up or down. History comes into play in both ways. And using a player's history is the best way to do it.
Fair enough. GG HugS

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
Thanks Hugo, that really cleared things up.

"D.C"

Smash Cadet
romeo -off course i am hahaha nah ill get you next time ***** you barley beat me too thats gay i shoulda wonand plus i didnt even use my main

S2

Smash Lord
Dang I wonder when REL or Mastersword are going to get on there.

They're good enough, but the UCSB smashers live too far away to see as much tournament action as we'd like.

Hopefully some of our crew will be living in LA next year, be a little more regular than the few times a year we can get down there (plus its usually just biweeklys we hit).

Charoo

Smash Champion
What Hugo said is right.

Again, we only went up to 1/12

that means:

no 1/13 biweekly
no 1/20 triweekly and riverside biweekly
no 1/27 anti and thomas' tourney

a lot of people was up for consideration but they just barely miss the cut. As we stated before, ROFL is definately top 20 material now. But, since we stop at best of 06, we can't really "know" how well he will do after that. It would be silly to just add him in there from one tourney. We need consistency which we did not have because we stop it at that tourney. So it was unfortunate for ROFL. Dun worry though, he got champ combo .... and die =)

araknophobik

Smash Master
gg hugo, cleared the whole situation right up

and i agree with rome too, honestly now...we live in socal
the competition here is ridiculous, probably the most conpetitve area in the whole country
it doesn't really matter if your ranked or not, cuz you know when you walk into a tourny who ***** and who doesn't, and there's always newcomers out of the blue who ****

how about instead of making a power ranking, you just make a list of names of people who **** o.O

xDARKLINKx

Smash Ace
romeo -off course i am hahaha nah ill get you next time ***** you barley beat me too thats gay i shoulda won and plus i didnt even use my main
mmmmmmmm mmmmmm nahhhhhhhhhhhhh.

i would and did **** your fox you know that, we settled it aready.

and i ***** your falcon too but i got nervous and lost just ONE TIME, then i ***** you the rest. hahhahaahahahahahh its coo though your better than everybody else in the crew so dont trip ******.

and hugo pretty much summed it all up, i dont think anybody can argue about anything now.

nealdt

BRoomer
BRoomer
One last thing.

RE: Manacloud. Has his singles performance been a little spotty lately? Of course, everyone can see that. However, he has a history of doing things that no one else in SoCal outside of the top 3 have or could have done. Examples include:

0C2 crews: took 7 stock off of Kaiser and Korean DJ.
0C2 teams: second place.
Nexus 2: beat DSF. Was Alex in a slump? Probably. But again, how many people outside of the top 3 can beat DSF even on one of his bad days?
NCT2: 5th place teams with someone he'd never teamed with and who probably isn't as good as him.
MLG Vegas teams: second place. And he really pulled his weight here, so you can't say "OMG it's cuz he teams with chudat noobz." How many of you think you could win a 2 on 1 against Azen and Chillin? Even Romeo would have trouble with that, and that dude *****.
Plus his wins at biweeklies with Chu.

Vegas and NCT2 were recent enough to warrant heavy consideration. Everything else falls under "history."

So yes, he's been slacking lately in singles. But his history + teams performances were enough to cushion his fall a bit. But he might fall even further if he keeps up his downward trend.

REL

Smash Apprentice
Dang I wonder when REL or Mastersword are going to get on there.

They're good enough, but the UCSB smashers live too far away to see as much tournament action as we'd like.

Hopefully some of our crew will be living in LA next year, be a little more regular than the few times a year we can get down there (plus its usually just biweeklys we hit).
I don't think I'm good enough for top 20 yet. SoCal really does run deep as there are just so many good players in this region. Much like everyone else said, whether or not one is on the rankings does not define how good that person is. Also, as ROFL pointed it, it sure is a lot less intimidating when you're unranked. Surprising people is a whole lot more fun than having the pressure of keeping my "rank". Props to all the people on it though, as everyone on it is ridiculously good. As are many other people not on it. Welcome to SoCal.

AznChefii

Smash Journeyman
Alhambra, CA Anyone in the 626s wanna challenge me
mmmmmmmm mmmmmm nahhhhhhhhhhhhh.

i would and did **** your fox you know that, we settled it aready.

and i ***** your falcon too but i got nervous and lost just ONE TIME, then i ***** you the rest. hahhahaahahahahahh its coo though your better than everybody else in the crew so dont trip ******.

and hugo pretty much summed it all up, i dont think anybody can argue about anything now.
rom, u sure? i heard that davids is the best in the crew :ohwell:

Arash

Smash Lord
i say the panelists stop being lazy and make it top 25 now that there are enough people to fill those spots...

but yes, again the reason it came out so late is because we debated what seemed like forever to get what we have now, and debate means you get more accurate results:)

and looks like mike needs to prove how good he is? hopefully we'll see some better results soon...

Arash

Smash Lord

KEN-

i wasn't the reason mana wasn't dropped to 7/8, I think on how socal would do vs out of staters rather than our own. that is why i still think you should still be over dsf, not because of any biased reasons.

furthermore nealdt already pointed out why mana shouldn't be dropped that much so im not trying to play as a victim I just don't think i get more imput on things.

Furthermore, if i try to say something everyone thinks im going to try to have it my way and mostly ignore what im saying. It came down to 4 people ruling against mana going under and 3 people ruling that mana shouldnt move at all and the 4 people over ruled. There was no compromise and the list just went on

so i dont even care enough to work on the list anymore, i might as well drop out. Caotics dropping out so therefore i feel that someone with sense is leaving, leaving nothing but more biased into the power rankings so whatever

btw the whole point of this post is, I QUIT being a panelist

HugS

Smash Champion
Southern California (818) San fernando valley
Ken, Perhaps you didn't read closely enough

"The fact of the matter is; YOU ARE THE ONLY REASON manacloud wasn't dropped to 7/8. So i guess that means you always get over ruled and no one listens to what you say, right?"

When we were discussing the list at first we were deciding on having mana in 7th/8th, then you came in and told us your reasoning for why he shouldn't drop to 7th/8th, and we agreed.

I'm not saying we put him higher to please you, I'm saying we dropped him less because we didn't see why he should stay so high UNTIL YOU STATED YOUR MIND AND WE LISTENED TO YOUR REASONING.

That being said, I think it is a bit ridiculous for you to come and accuse us of NOT LISTENING when we in fact DID LISTEN.

It was still quite apparent that mana had to drop for his performance, we just dropped him less because of your reasoning. I was told that you felt he shouldn't have dropped at all and I strongly disagreed with that and you can't tell me that more than 2 people on the panel felt otherwise.

StuperDuperMan

Smash Journeyman
So Cal has a lot of bitter child-like minds... too dramatic about everything. So the first thing i feell ike saying is, romeo is too good not cuz of his skill but because of his outlook on this whole list. While a LOT of people are drawn into the most ridiculous hatred/rivalries/bitterness towards certain smashers/crews, people like him just drop the stupidity. i just go to smash tourneys to have fun, and just like already stated, when you **** someone, you **** em. nuff said haha. im scared of Azn Chef, ROFL just as much as a majority of the list.

(Note: im not scared of anyone on the list, so its equal from 1- 20 hahha)

k well, good list, btw Hugo good 1st long post, and good defense on the part about the "taking Kens info into account." Hugo is a good panelist, champ cant speak english, GG! haha

Knivez

Smash Ace
I'm just glad i'm still above that niger azeem. LOL
yes i posted that JUST to undermine you.

i think romeo will appreciate this post as well.

me and him got the same mindgames.

my opinion on the list? is it biased if i think JTB should be top 5? he's pretty sexy when hes angry.

Also my cat Milo should be above Champ, he scratched my arm today and did more percent damage than champ could ever do to me.

DieSuperFly

Smash Lord
I should be a Panelist =( even tho my english is as bad as champ XDXDDXD

Whaaaa Rofl not ranked? Whaaaa so Teba is consistent??? Whaaa Mike Y droped sooo much ????? WHaaaaa Manacloud just droped one spot???????Whaaaaaaaaaa i went up one spot ???????? AznLep????????? Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa lol

tsk tsk tsk tsk tsk tsk =\ Uncool list sniff.

Norcal too good =)

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
Edrees should be a panelist since theres no one from SD on the panel :\

LuCKy

Smash Master
rom, u sure? i heard that davids is the best in the crew :ohwell:
this is david btw hahaha nah rom is but i think im second but i dont know gary you should go to more tournys man we gotta get that crew up there to prove to hugo that our crew is better ^^

S.O.S.

Smash Lord
please take me off the list
i do not want to be on it nor do i believe i have earned it. although thankz for the panelist's who voted for me :)

EzynJAY

Smash Lord
yea the list is pretty good now if it goes by comulitive reasoning or watever then i dont see some things like how

azn lep- made such a huge jump when hes only done well at one tourney because it seems that san diego is a pretty isolated community and the only ranked person to beat there is edreese

sos- making the list doesnt make sense the according to the reasong because his tourney performances are really lack luster and just because word got around about his skill doesnt mean he performs well in tourneys if u look at his performances.simply put there are far more deserving ppl like rofl.ect

aesis-to me seems like his performance is pretty mealow just average placings... i dont see how he was moved up no offence to your aesis your a good player but u should be dropped below dc and boa and possibly others

azeem-i dont see how according to that reasoning he was moved up his performances have been ok as well same kinda deal with aesis to me i think he should have been moved down a spot or 2

as for upward performances...

romeo-even though he was dropped down his recent performance getting second its clear hes still extremly talented taking out new talent like dc and rofl and placing higher than ranked players like azeem ect. but of course that wasnt taken into effect

dc-different story from romeo really nothin wrong with his ranking since u have to have a huge history to move up i guess

boa-same story with dc

rofl-he beat sos at 06 so i guess theres another ranked person

i have played with all of these ppl i just talked about and there all really talented so im sure those 4 ppl will sky rocket up in the next rankings as there just gonna keep beating a lot of ranked players and have great tourney performances.

well yea thats about it i just didnt get some of the move ups according to the reasoning for history ect. and placings of others.i think a lot of ppl are better than ranked ppl above them of course but thats just my opinion and wat i said in this post was just going by the reasoning of ppl moving up or down on the list and jus tourney results and seeing these ppl play.

hugo made the list a lot more clear and i understood wat he said for the most part so he did a good job with that post

and wat romeo said is very true since he himself is a complete example of it just because your not on the list or get moved up or down doesnt mean your gonna lose your skill romeo already proved that so the list is just there to be there its something fun to see.

so yea thats the only real problems i saw i dont know i could be wrong or i could have misunderstood your reasoning on the list if so then feel free to correct me

EzynJAY

Smash Lord
i dont think it was really aesis moving up. he kind of stayed in the same spot...while romeo moved down because he wasnt active......and people left like panda and KO
yea ic that would make more sense then and as far as aesis beating dc just cuz i could beat david doesnt mean im better than him he beats a lot of ranked ppl and has consistency seems like aesis is pretty up and down but i mean thats all opinion

romeo619- i know only pat and edreese travel thats wat i meant by it because if they were going on history then it doesnt seem like azp let should have jumped so high if theres like a up 2 down 2 system and i said sd was isolated becuse i know pat performs extremly well at sd triweeklys and such but the only ranked person at those tournies is edreese and thats why i was sayin that but i know its pretty hard to judge sd cuz they dont travel so its kind of a off situation

just seems like the reasoning kinda contradtricts each other sometime because sos really has no history but he is ranked were as other ppl have one very wel;l performance so they should be ranked kinda like the situation with gary iwhich one is it?

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
In Azn Lep's defense, he has defeated Kaiser, Luninspectra, Aesis, CAOTIC, and Chu, so that spans back to tournaments like OC2 and is recent too. Wasn't just one tournament. But still, these are some pretty good accomplishments, and I think anyone who's taken out these kind of names deserves a spot on there. Tell me who you think should be above him and has defeated similar talent?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom