• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SoCal Melee Community

Kouryuu

Smash Champion
A word can mean an idea. We wouldn't allow some one to type "I had sex" or "****". "****", despite being interchangeable for many different meanings, still retains that vulgarity in what it conveys.
LOL what??

I kinda stopped reading after this line.

Oh and One Piece sucks hard.

Rannskita

Smash Journeyman
if your aim is to protect users visiting your site from vulgar speech why dont you ban anyone posting links to smash commentary where people go 'aw **** X is ****** Y hard, Y is getting boned'? its the same as the occasional typed swear word, though to be honest i dont think anyone cares about either, and could click off either page if anyone managed to be offended.

HyugaRicdeau

Baller/Shot-caller
Slippi.gg
DRZ#283
Haha, I was hoping you wouldn't notice my having taken the liberty of uncensoring your post.

The fact that they borrowed a profanity or created does not change the fact there are still taboo words that they use.
The very concept of a 'taboo word' is borrowed as well. In several other languages the worst insults are not taboo because of words they happen to contain, it's because of the idea in them. A better perhaps example is Norwegian; until modern times, using words that we would consider 'dirty' didn't have any offensive punch aside from the gross-out factor. The taboo things were calling someone a 'devil' or other such blasphemy. Similar story with Japanese, there are swears NOW, but that's mostly because the concept was introduced to them; before that, insults/disrespect mostly were because of an actual insuliting idea (You spoony Bard!) or assuming too much familiarity with another, as opposed to simply uttering a 'taboo word.'

There is always a status quo or some sorts. Just like there is a status quo of wearing clothing, or hygiene/bathing. Falling in line with it, even if it dates form many years ago, does not warrant them as stupid.
It's not what you do, it's why you do it. Falling in line for the sake of conformity at all costs IS stupid, especially when the ultimate source of it comes from the fact that the word had a different language of origin than that spoken by a conquering force (cheers, William I), and/or because of religious doctrine.

They do not mean the same thing: they can mean different levels of an action. very few words are exact synonyms. "Large" and "Colossal" and "Gigantic" all mean bigger, but to different degrees. "Speak" and "yap" both mean to say words, but one is very informal. The same can be said with "coitus", "sex" and "****ing". But the words don't necessarily have to describe the intensity of the word, but the formality (or informality) as well.
My point is that the very construct of "profanity" is essentially elevating a word to abracadabra, it serves no purpose, and is rooted in stubborn tradition, much of which comes from orthodox religion (which goes far to explain the story of Japanese). There is no reason for a WORD to be PROFANE in and of itself. This is distinct from words being slang or informal, and I agree that words can and do have different levels of formality, but if anything, a forum where fans of a video game come to talk socially amongst themselves should be a haven for slang and informality!

A word can mean an idea. We wouldn't allow some one to type "I had sex" or "****". "****", despite being interchangeable for many different meanings, still retains that vulgarity in what it conveys.
A word conveys an idea only in a context, which can be forced upon it by a reader. It's rather unfortunate that you consider SWF's policy not to even "talk about sexual acts or describe them." We can go into extreme detail about violent and hateful things, but shame on sex, the physical act of love (well not always). Another fine example of the insane double standards of society.

It is no myth that the majority of English speakers view many words as profane, or that our website and it's owners share that opinion. Of course a random collection of syllables is not profane...just as a random collection of syllables doesn't necessarily mean "shelter" or "shampoo" or "erudite". We, the general population, applied that meaning to those words and in the case of "****", the vulgar negative connotation as well. To say it is absurd that we propagate a meaning is to say that we shouldn't imply a meaning to any word...which is absurd. You still did not answer my examples about your interviewer or potential son in law.
The example of the interviewer has to do with assuming too much familiarity; if the interviewer happened to be a known person there would be no problem with it. As I've said before, there is little danger of assuming too much familiarity in this forum, so this example fails to apply. And the son in law has to do with the idea conveyed itself, because regardless of what words he uses, conveying that idea is not likely to have good results. Neither of these have anything to do with a word by itself being PROFANE and 100% always censored in every context.

What about the idea of a specific word that always has a vulgar and profane connotation?
It's just calling it abracadabra. Stupid and useless.

That is not the case. We allow you to use the jargon "****". It's other meaning can infer destroying land. You couldn't count the times that **** is used on this forum without censoring. So that alone shows we are not of that mindset. But that is because we, at SWF and MLG, see a greater vulgarity in other words.
See, our use of "****" is such that everyone thinks of 3-4 stocking or something and almost nobody among us immediately thinks of "forced sexual intercourse against the will of another" when it's said in that context. Again we seem to agree that it's the communicated idea that matters, and the word itself isn't of great importance! And by the way, I fully understand that there are the "rules" that we agree to when we sign up for our account, but I'm still going to complain about them because they are old-fashioned, and that's how rules get changed.

We can scrutinize tradition, and we do. However, that does not mean that it must be changed because in this instance we agree with it. "Easier" has nothing to do with it.
It's not so much changing it as choosing to ignore it.

joeplicate

Smash Master
There is always a status quo or some sorts. Just like there is a status quo of wearing clothing, or hygiene/bathing. Falling in line with it, even if it dates form many years ago, does not warrant them as stupid.
Here you're making an entirely separate point, which is that wearing clothes and bathing are useful. They're status quo because otherwise you could freeze to death or step on a tack and get tetanus, or you could get an infection from not bathing. They're status quo because they're useful. Profanities are status quo because, like Sheridan said, people have arbitrarily stigmatized swear words. This has no purpose.

You still did not answer my examples about your interviewer or potential son in law.
Yes, most of you can deduce what the actual letters behind "****" is, but that is the same way in which some one cuts them self off in a conversation write before they say the inappropriate thing on their mind at most civil, public events. Are there many things the president would like to say are "a ****ing mess"? Most likely, yes. But, it would be entirely inappropriate, even though it is just a group of letters. Telling your interviewer "I want this ****ing job" would probably not slide. Your daughter's boyfriend asking permission to marry so he can "**** that ****" would most likely not come out as the most professional or proper thing to say and definitely more than an arbitrary set of sounds.. And that is what we are trying to keep things here like: respectful and proper, even if some deper meanings can be implied.
I really don't see how four asterisks is equivalent to somebody cutting their self off in mid conversation, seeing as when you post in a forum, it's the final iteration of a thought process, not a knee-jerk reaction. I can't see through my computer screen to watch you NEARLY swear; reading your posts, I only get the information that you choose to send.

In the case of the son-in-law, what would be more "respectful and proper?" I would like to copulate with your daughter? Let me marry Marleena so I can inseminate her? Even if you asked her father *very nicely* to have sex with her, you'd still get denied. If somebody blew up at a company picnic, threw a temper tantrum, but then JUST caught their self before saying "Fuck!!" I would still fire them. In this case, it's not the swearing that's "entirely inappropriate," it's the way you conduct yourself that is. Curse words are just accurate. Here, asterisks are just as bad, because they represent the same inappropriate behavior.

That is not the case. We allow you to use the jargon "****". It's other meaning can infer destroying land. You couldn't count the times that **** is used on this forum without censoring. So that alone shows we are not of that mindset. But that is because we, at SWF and MLG, see a greater vulgarity in other words.
That's not the case at all, you just allow "****" because it slipped through the censoring system. The original definition was "to seize or carry off by force" (look it up if you don't believe me, http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=**** , http://www.thefreedictionary.com/dict.asp?Word=**** ). Nowhere have I found "****** land" in the actual definition of the word; it's just a metaphor, like "getting **** on" meaning you fell into a set of bad circumstances. You're just talking out of your ***, so to speak.

And what about ***? This word actually has the most viable alternative meaning of any curse--a donkey. Yet, despite having a less vulgar definition than ****, and a real, legitimate way to use it, it's censored. If you were serious about your ****, (I know I am) you would probably allow "***."

And about being the messenger?
It's SWF's policy to not talk about sexual acts or describe them.
I am glad we have such an understanding of each other.
I'm glad too.

Virgilijus

Nonnulli Laskowski praestant
BRoomer
Haha, I was hoping you wouldn't notice my having taken the liberty of uncensoring your post.
The fact you knew which swear words they were does say something. Much how like parents hold their language in check around children and hide what they say from them, adult things are still understood. You can use the censor this way if you wish: there won't be any loss in understanding for you. But for the younger posters whose parents don't want them viewing the generally agreed upon obscenities, there is the filter.

The very concept of a 'taboo word' is borrowed as well. In several other languages the worst insults are not taboo because of words they happen to contain, it's because of the idea in them. A better perhaps example is Norwegian; until modern times, using words that we would consider 'dirty' didn't have any offensive punch aside from the gross-out factor. The taboo things were calling someone a 'devil' or other such blasphemy. Similar story with Japanese, there are swears NOW, but that's mostly because the concept was introduced to them; before that, insults/disrespect mostly were because of an actual insuliting idea (You spoony Bard!) or assuming too much familiarity with another, as opposed to simply uttering a 'taboo word.'
Does it matter that it was introduced as long as it was accepted? So many languages borrow from others (and new languages formed because of it) that saying "well, it used to" doesn't really factor.

It's not what you do, it's why you do it. Falling in line for the sake of conformity at all costs IS stupid, especially when the ultimate source of it comes from the fact that the word had a different language of origin than that spoken by a conquering force (cheers, William I), and/or because of religious doctrine.
It's not just for the sake of conformity. That's the thing. If the website wants to keep younger audiences and be able to promote themselves as a family friendly website, they will probably apply a censor. If you want to debate why people in general don't like certain words, that is a different argument since this was based off of our censoring policy.

My point is that the very construct of "profanity" is essentially elevating a word to abracadabra, it serves no purpose, and is rooted in stubborn tradition, much of which comes from orthodox religion (which goes far to explain the story of Japanese). There is no reason for a WORD to be PROFANE in and of itself. This is distinct from words being slang or informal, and I agree that words can and do have different levels of formality, but if anything, a forum where fans of a video game come to talk socially amongst themselves should be a haven for slang and informality!
It can serve a purpose! Most people I know say "****" instead of "fiddlesticks" or "gee golly gillickers" because it has that negative connotation that can emphasize the extremity of it. A haven? Necessarily it shouldn't. It could be. We do give you a great deal of freedom of expression while posting here. But we are a public forum whose sole purpose is for communication, and based on the content provided we can feel the need to censor certain aspects (many words included) for intended age groups. Many, many parents have problems with the content that is filtered out and it would be near impossible to keep a "family friendly" tag without it. SWF is not the place of literary upheaval: it is a privately owned website that wishes to keep advertising for that audience.

A word conveys an idea only in a context, which can be forced upon it by a reader. It's rather unfortunate that you consider SWF's policy not to even "talk about sexual acts or describe them." We can go into extreme detail about violent and hateful things, but shame on sex, the physical act of love (well not always). Another fine example of the insane double standards of society.
Well, there you go assuming things about my stances. The fact of the matter is, sex is illegal (in most states) for a decent proportion of posters here. It would be considered statutory ****. As is smoking illegal for many posters...and drinking. Even the parts of the European boards where marijuana is legal have to censor talks of it because we do not try to promote (potentially) illegal things by encouraging discussion on them. Same with our stance on ROMs and emulators, etc. That is why talk about sex is not allowed.

The example of the interviewer has to do with assuming too much familiarity; if the interviewer happened to be a known person there would be no problem with it. As I've said before, there is little danger of assuming too much familiarity in this forum, so this example fails to apply. And the son in law has to do with the idea conveyed itself, because regardless of what words he uses, conveying that idea is not likely to have good results. Neither of these have anything to do with a word by itself being PROFANE and 100% always censored in every context.
Well, lets replace our interviewer with the admins or owners (MLG and JV). They would frown on it. And yet here we still are, in their room. Yes, you guys are sitting here, but it is their room. So I say it does apply. And it is not just conveying the idea. I just got back from a wedding and the groom (an old friend of mine) before told everyone "He was looking forward to tonight". He wasn't conveying that he liked the Talk Show guests that night. We all knew that. The bride's mother knew that. He was saying "I'm going to **** my wife", in very informal words. But that would have been somewhat abrasive language. The idea was understood "That is what they do on their wedding night", but the words would have caused unrest. I know that personally.

It's just calling it abracadabra. Stupid and useless.
For the reasons I said earlier it's not necessarily stupid or useless.

See, our use of "****" is such that everyone thinks of 3-4 stocking or something and almost nobody among us immediately thinks of "forced sexual intercourse against the will of another" when it's said in that context.
Even with the loving addendum "Dry, no spit" I see every once in a while?

Again we seem to agree that it's the communicated idea that matters, and the word itself isn't of great importance! And by the way, I fully understand that there are the "rules" that we agree to when we sign up for our account, but I'm still going to complain about them because they are old-fashioned, and that's how rules get changed.
Oh, of course you are free to complain: you didn't get infractions for complaining (although complaints against moderation policy do belong in the Forum Disputes, not here). You are smart enough to know that is what's happening. But...one may think...if you really wanted the rules to be changed, would you not express these with the administrators or JV? Posting here, other than rousing the "mods-be-****ed" attitude of other members, doesn't accomplish anything other than just a basic rant.

It's not so much changing it as choosing to ignore it.
I find it impossible for you to make that decree when you did not witness the decision making process.

Here you're making an entirely separate point, which is that wearing clothes and bathing are useful. They're status quo because otherwise you could freeze to death or step on a tack and get tetanus, or you could get infected. They're status quo because they're useful. Profanities are status quo because, like Sheridan said, people have arbitrarily stigmatized swear words. This has no purpose.
Some people do not wear clothes. You don't need to bathe, or wear deoderant...but I bet you do. Those are all choices of luxury, though other people may insist for society's sake. And that is what we are doing: insisting for the public domain's sake, especially the younger folk.

I really don't see how four asterisks is equivalent to somebody cutting their self off in mid conversation, seeing as when you post in a forum, it's the final iteration of a thought process, not a knee-jerk reaction. I can't see through my computer screen to watch you NEARLY swear; reading your posts, I only get the information that you choose to send.
There are knee jerk reactions on forums: the amount of times people have edited directly after posting should be a prime example. This doesn't have any bearing on the present argument, but I felt I needed to point that out.

Your examples of people randomly swearing are not appropriate for this argument. In the case of the son-in-law, what would be more "respectful and proper?" I would like to copulate with your daughter? Let me marry Marleena so I can inseminate her? Even if you asked her father *very nicely* to have sex with her, you'd still get denied. If somebody blew up at a company picnic, threw a temper tantrum, but then JUST caught their self before saying ****!!" I would still fire them. In this case, it's not the swearing that's "entirely inappropriate," it's the way you conduct yourself that is. Curse words are just accurate. Here, asterisks are just as bad, because they represent the same inappropriate behavior.
They do not represent the same immediate inappropriate behavior to everyone, namely people who do not know what they are. And if they did say "****"? Would that not add anything? What if the interviewer was a black man and he said "I've never been interviewed by a ****** before" in a completely cordial and nonchalant attitude? I guarantee you in most businesses he would not be hired. His conduct, in every other aspect, was perfectly intact and respectful.

That's not the case at all, you just allow "****" because it slipped through the censoring system. The original definition was "to seize or carry off by force" (look it up if you don't believe me, http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=**** , http://www.thefreedictionary.com/dict.asp?Word=**** ). Nowhere have I found "****** land" in the actual definition of the word; it's just a metaphor, like "getting **** on" meaning you fell into a set of bad circumstances. You're just talking out of your ***, so to speak.
I have heard the phrase "***** the land" used scholastically many times in history books, most notably when Rome sacked Carthage and supposedly (they never actually did) sewed the land with salt. And please do not insult me in the middle of a debate: that is in poor taste.

And what about ***? This word actually has the most viable alternative meaning of any curse--a donkey. Yet, despite having a less vulgar definition than ****, and a real, legitimate way to use it, it's censored. If you were serious about your ****, (I know I am) you would probably allow "***."
That is all relative and based on context. "My wife was *****" can be argued to be less vulgar that "I wanna **** that ***". Vulgar means having a low or unrefined character. Vulgate Latin was simply the tongue of the common people. The word of the streets.

I'm glad too.
What an understanding we've come to.

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
Virgilijis is right. This site is designed for Children. The group that they are aiming for is 12-17. The rest is mostly just old timers that came when they were 12-17.

joeplicate

Smash Master
I know hahahaha
I have heard the phrase "***** the land" used scholastically many times in history books, most notably when Rome sacked Carthage and supposedly (they never actually did) sewed the land with salt. And please do not insult me in the middle of a debate: that is in poor taste.
LOL

HyugaRicdeau

Baller/Shot-caller
Slippi.gg
DRZ#283
The fact you knew which swear words they were does say something. Much how like parents hold their language in check around children and hide what they say from them, adult things are still understood. You can use the censor this way if you wish: there won't be any loss in understanding for you. But for the younger posters whose parents don't want them viewing the generally agreed upon obscenities, there is the filter.
They hold their language, again, because of society's dumb inertia. You have to be 13 to use this site without parental permission do you not? 13 is ridiculously old to shield them from a WORD.

Does it matter that it was introduced as long as it was accepted? So many languages borrow from others (and new languages formed because of it) that saying "well, it used to" doesn't really factor.
The fact that it's old in and of itself doesn't matter, it's just to illustrate how antiquated that manner of thinking is. The points about assimilation and orthodoxy are what matter.

It's not just for the sake of conformity. That's the thing. If the website wants to keep younger audiences and be able to promote themselves as a family friendly website, they will probably apply a censor. If you want to debate why people in general don't like certain words, that is a different argument since this was based off of our censoring policy.
But that's JUST the thing! It's only "family friendly" because that's the status quo!Children are precisely the ones who most need to be weaned off this absurd notion of a word in itself being profane.

It can serve a purpose! Most people I know say "****" instead of "fiddlesticks" or "gee golly gillickers" because it has that negative connotation that can emphasize the extremity of it. A haven? Necessarily it shouldn't. It could be. We do give you a great deal of freedom of expression while posting here. But we are a public forum whose sole purpose is for communication, and based on the content provided we can feel the need to censor certain aspects (many words included) for intended age groups. Many, many parents have problems with the content that is filtered out and it would be near impossible to keep a "family friendly" tag without it. SWF is not the place of literary upheaval: it is a privately owned website that wishes to keep advertising for that audience.
If society didn't have that dumb attitude towards a word, we would find other words to suit the same purpose. It's not like it's only because of branding the utterance of certain words as profane that we have those expressions.

[/quote]Well, there you go assuming things about my stances. The fact of the matter is, sex is illegal (in most states) for a decent proportion of posters here. It would be considered statutory ****. As is smoking illegal for many posters...and drinking. Even the parts of the European boards where marijuana is legal have to censor talks of it because we do not try to promote (potentially) illegal things by encouraging discussion on them. Same with our stance on ROMs and emulators, etc. That is why talk about sex is not allowed.[/quote]

I didn't assume anything about YOU, I was simply pointing out the hypocrisy of the hoi palloi. Statutory **** is another thing I happen to not agree with anyway.

Well, lets replace our interviewer with the admins or owners (MLG and JV). They would frown on it. And yet here we still are, in their room. Yes, you guys are sitting here, but it is their room. So I say it does apply.
That's a huge reach and I'm not buying it. Plus I've met JV several times anyway (though it was a few years ago).

And it is not just conveying the idea. I just got back from a wedding and the groom (an old friend of mine) before told everyone "He was looking forward to tonight". He wasn't conveying that he liked the Talk Show guests that night. We all knew that. The bride's mother knew that. He was saying "I'm going to **** my wife", in very informal words. But that would have been somewhat abrasive language. The idea was understood "That is what they do on their wedding night", but the words would have caused unrest. I know that personally.
And that's ONLY because of being overly familiar! If he had said "I'm gonna tap dat ***" it would have been the same thing.

Even with the loving addendum "Dry, no spit" I see every once in a while?
I'd regard that as a play upon our general understanding of "****" in that context, compared to its literal meaning.

Oh, of course you are free to complain: you didn't get infractions for complaining (although complaints against moderation policy do belong in the Forum Disputes, not here). You are smart enough to know that is what's happening. But...one may think...if you really wanted the rules to be changed, would you not express these with the administrators or JV? Posting here, other than rousing the "mods-be-****ed" attitude of other members, doesn't accomplish anything other than just a basic rant.
Because arguing is fun and I enjoy testing my ability to articulate ideas. You might even consider this practice for later ;)

I find it impossible for you to make that decree when you did not witness the decision making process.
What I mean is this: You said "that does not mean that it must be changed because in this instance we agree with it." I am not saying we should change tradition, I'm saying we should just ignore that there is a tradition because it's ********.

Virgilijis is right. This site is designed for Children. The group that they are aiming for is 12-17. The rest is mostly just old timers that came when they were 12-17.
Nah.

MacD

Banned via Administration
i've always pondered about what sheridan is bringing up

though i never could have formed an argument for it like he has

it's like society makes a big deal out of a few words, what's the point of having words be censored when people learn and use them anyway

Fabian

Smash Journeyman
the special effects looked cheesy like an cinemax movie starring the baldwin brothers

p.s. Virgilijus is such a ***** of a mod. isn't he the one who banned everyone on that thread awhile back? its almost like people are scared to type stuff about him cuz hes a dictator. is he mana cloud in disguise?

no wonder everybody is leaving to AiB

i hope people read this before Virgilijus edits it

The Greater Leon

Smash Hero
my account the great mido got permabanned back when i was banned and trying to ban-dodge

now that i am unbanned and not ban-dodging, can i have my alternate account back?

bbb

Smash Champion
today I saw the symbol in JDMs avatar on the back of a car

under their license plate it said "I <3 JDM"

I was like, huh

DanteFox

Smash Champion

Brand new, genuine JDM Soshinoya Badges complete in packaging. These JDM Soshinoya Badges (new driver badges) symbolize the level of driving experience in Japan. A must have item for all you JDM fanatics out there! Includes one magnetic and one suction cup badge which apply easily to the exterior and interior of your vehicle so you can show off your JDM pride wherever you go! Badges measure 7 1/4 x 4 1/2 inch. Made in Japan.

Maybe it has something to do with that.
:confused:

PsychoMidget

Smash Lord

Brand new, genuine JDM Soshinoya Badges complete in packaging. These JDM Soshinoya Badges (new driver badges) symbolize the level of driving experience in Japan. A must have item for all you JDM fanatics out there! Includes one magnetic and one suction cup badge which apply easily to the exterior and interior of your vehicle so you can show off your JDM pride wherever you go! Badges measure 7 1/4 x 4 1/2 inch. Made in Japan.

*google jdm -> images -> 2nd img -> ctrl+c -> smashboards -> ctrl+v*

:embarrass

Top Bottom