• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SoCal Melee Community

Nasty_Nate

Smash Lord
Whats this I hear about badass avatars?

Doomguy goes into hell to kill more demons and doesnt afraid of anything

HyugaRicdeau

Baller/Shot-caller
Slippi.gg
DRZ#283
I'm tempted to go on a tirade about how words are just WORDS and being able to say "F***" (or whatever) but not "****" is incredibly stupid and doesn't actually make any sense. When you say "F***" you put the word "****" in the other person's head; When you hear/see that, you go "oh, he means ****," EXACTLY like if they had just said "****" in the first place. It's not like saying "Fuck" is abracadabra or something and we have to say "F***". Jesus Christ. It's an arbitrary series of sounds and nothing more.

I hate things.

Also Citan Uzuki aka Hyuga is a badass of the highest order. His glasses have little flip down thingies, how cool is that?

Gishnak

Smash Ace
When you say "F***" you put the word "****" in the other person's head; When you hear/see that, you go "oh, he means ****," EXACTLY like if they had just said "****" in the first place. It's not like saying "****" is abracadabra or something and we have to say "F***".
Wow that's some mighty good censor dodging.

Virgilijus

Nonnulli Laskowski praestant
BRoomer
I'm tempted to go on a tirade about how words are just WORDS and being able to say "F***" (or whatever) but not "****" is incredibly stupid and doesn't actually make any sense. When you say "F***" you put the word "****" in the other person's head; When you hear/see that, you go "oh, he means ****," EXACTLY like if they had just said "****" in the first place. It's not like saying ****" is abracadabra or something and we have to say "F***". Jesus Christ. It's an arbitrary series of sounds and nothing more.

I hate things.

Also Citan Uzuki aka Hyuga is a badass of the highest order. His glasses have little flip down thingies, how cool is that?
In any social language, there will be words with a social stigma around them: every language has words that are considered incredibly vulgar and profanities. What these words sound like is of course arbitrary and not important: if you completely censored them and took them out of the lexicon, others would appear that would represent the exact same thing.

However, that does not mean it is useless to brand those words as profanities or vulgar (which originally meant words used by the people of the lowest class). We personally censor many things that are not technically profanities that undoubtedly everyone would agree are inappropriate for younger posters to learn. A word that crudely means to copulate, in a family friendly website, is not appropriate. Yes, most of you can deduce what the actual letters behind "****" is, but that is the same way in which some one cuts them self off in a conversation write before they say the inappropriate thing on their mind at most civil, public events. Are there many things the president would like to say are "a ****ing mess"? Most likely, yes. But, it would be entirely inappropriate, even though it is just a group of letters. Telling your interviewer "I want this ****ing job" would probably not slide. Your daughter's boyfriend asking permission to marry so he can "**** that ****" would most likely not come out as the most professional or proper thing to say and definitely more than an arbitrary set of sounds.. And that is what we are trying to keep things here like: respectful and proper, even if some deper meanings can be implied.

Also, if you want to rant about a word or feel the censor dodging is inappropriate, please go to Forum Support to discuss it

HyugaRicdeau

Baller/Shot-caller
Slippi.gg
DRZ#283
In any social language, there will be words with a social stigma around them: every language has words that are considered incredibly vulgar and profanities. What these words sound like is of course arbitrary and not important: if you completely censored them and took them out of the lexicon, others would appear that would represent the exact same thing.
That's not entirely true, Basque has no native swear words, those listed in dictionaries are all borrowed from Spanish.

However, that does not mean it is useless to brand those words as profanities or vulgar (which originally meant words used by the people of the lowest class). We personally censor many things that are not technically profanities that undoubtedly everyone would agree are inappropriate for younger posters to learn. A word that crudely means to copulate, in a family friendly website, is not appropriate. Yes, most of you can deduce what the actual letters behind "****" is, but that is the same way in which some one cuts them self off in a conversation write before they say the inappropriate thing on their mind at most civil, public events. Are there many things the president would like to say are "a ****ing mess"? Most likely, yes. But, it would be entirely inappropriate, even though it is just a group of letters. Telling your interviewer "I want this ****ing job" would probably not slide. Your daughter's boyfriend asking permission to marry so he can "**** that **** (****)?" would most likely not come out as the most professional or proper thing to say and definitely more than an arbitrary set of sounds.. And that is what we are trying to keep things here like: respectful and proper, even if some deper meanings can be implied.
The point is that the very notion of stigmatizing a word is stupid, and people only feel the need to censor them because it's the status quo and they are just playing along, even though the original source of them being labelled profane is nearly a thousand years old (Norman conquest) in some cases. "Fuck" does not mean anything different than "screw," "bone," "fornicate," etc., except it's just tradition that it's a "bad word." It's an empty contrivance, alive only because of social inertia. You tell me that it's not useless to brand words as profanity, but in the very next sentence you mention that you censor ideas, which there ARE legitimate reasons for censoring, and that somehow what you go on to say is supposed to justify censoring a WORD. What is it about a WORD such that we need to shield the tender youth of Smashboards from it? It's by the very act of censorship that you perpetuate that social intertia, and the myth that a word on its own is "profane" or "vulgar." Only ideas can be insulting/demaning/vulgar/etc. A word without context cannot be. The mere utterance of the word isn't anything in and of itself, especially not a word as versatile as "fuck." "Fuck!" as an exclamation of frustration/surprise is just that; People object to using a profane word for emphasis, completely far removed from the idea of insulting/demeaning someone, because the same word is used in different contexts to mean something insulting or demeaning; they have programmed themselves to be offended by a word in ANY context because it's vulgar in ONE context. That of course is a fallacy of equivocation. People are too weak-minded to scrutinize tradition, and so it persists, because things are just "easier" that way. We should know better than to be a part of that.

Virgilijus

BRoomer
That's not entirely true, Basque has no native swear words, those listed in dictionaries are all borrowed from Spanish.
The fact that they borrowed a profanity or created does not change the fact there are still taboo words that they use.

The point is that the very notion of stigmatizing a word is stupid, and people only feel the need to censor them because it's the status quo and they are just playing along, even though the original source of them being labelled profane is nearly a thousand years old (Norman conquest) in some cases.
There is always a status quo or some sorts. Just like there is a status quo of wearing clothing, or hygiene/bathing. Falling in line with it, even if it dates form many years ago, does not warrant them as stupid.

"****" does not mean anything different than "screw," "bone," "fornicate," etc., except it's just tradition that it's a "bad word."
They do not mean the same thing: they can mean different levels of an action. very few words are exact synonyms. "Large" and "Colossal" and "Gigantic" all mean bigger, but to different degrees. "Speak" and "yap" both mean to say words, but one is very informal. The same can be said with "coitus", "sex" and "****ing". But the words don't necessarily have to describe the intensity of the word, but the formality (or informality) as well.

It's an empty contrivance, alive only because of social inertia. You tell me that it's not useless to brand words as profanity, but in the very next sentence you mention that you censor ideas, which there ARE legitimate reasons for censoring, and that somehow what you go on to say is supposed to justify censoring a WORD.
A word can mean an idea. We wouldn't allow some one to type "I had sex" or "****". "****", despite being interchangeable for many different meanings, still retains that vulgarity in what it conveys.

What is it about a WORD such that we need to shield the tender youth of Smashboards from it? It's by the very act of censorship that you perpetuate that social intertia, and the myth that a word on its own is "profane" or "vulgar."
It is no myth that the majority of English speakers view many words as profane, or that our website and it's owners share that opinion. Of course a random collection of syllables is not profane...just as a random collection of syllables doesn't necessarily mean "shelter" or "shampoo" or "erudite". We, the general population, applied that meaning to those words and in the case of "****", the vulgar negative connotation as well. To say it is absurd that we propagate a meaning is to say that we shouldn't imply a meaning to any word...which is absurd. You still did not answer my examples about your interviewer or potential son in law.

Only ideas can be insulting/demaning/vulgar/etc.
What about the idea of a specific word that always has a vulgar and profane connotation?

A word without context cannot be. The mere utterance of the word isn't anything in and of itself, especially not a word as versatile as "****." "****!" as an exclamation of frustration/surprise is just that; People object to using a profane word for emphasis, completely far removed from the idea of insulting/demeaning someone, because the same word is used in different contexts to mean something insulting or demeaning; they have programmed themselves to be offended by a word in ANY context because it's vulgar in ONE context.
That is not the case. We allow you to use the jargon "****". It's other meaning can infer destroying land. You couldn't count the times that **** is used on this forum without censoring. So that alone shows we are not of that mindset. But that is because we, at SWF and MLG, see a greater vulgarity in other words.

That of course is a fallacy of equivocation. People are too weak-minded to scrutinize tradition, and so it persists, because things are just "easier" that way. We should know better than to be a part of that.
We can scrutinize tradition, and we do. However, that does not mean that it must be changed because in this instance we agree with it. "Easier" has nothing to do with it.

EDIT:

can't wait for the "i'm just the messenger" cop out

"take your dispute to forum support"
I am glad we have such an understanding of each other.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
virg is awesome cuz he likes one piece

but yea swf policy is legit. imo the censors and hard moderation is why ppl on this forum get along better than they do on SRK where they cuss ppl out and stuff. SWF gets into debates where only smart ppl get mad at each other because they wear monocles and top hats (or they r brawl scrubs)

virg ur tight but pac west got this, we cuss and **** but we dont corrupt the little kids so much

sfat stays well behaved despite how much ppl want to **** him irl

c0nn0r was corrupted but he aint that bad

why am i rambling about this

**** i dont even get post count here

Virgilijus

BRoomer
I understand if you guys want to cuss. I cuss a fair amount in real life. But here, we apply censors and you guys agreed to adhere to them when you signed up. With "****" you guys know what you are saying anyways. No real need to elaborate just to get an infraction.

Also, One Piece is the ****.

Top Bottom