• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SoCal Melee Community

SuperRad

Smash Master
Computer/Audio people:
I got a new laptop yesterday. It's righteous. HOWEVER, with my headphones [Sennheiser HD202] I get a weird buzzing sound whenever I'm listening to audio. Bummer. I messed around with drivers and such to no avail, but then tried another pair of headphones, my mom's older Sony headphones [MDR-V150]. They get basically no buzzing at all.

I've had no buzzing issues when I used the Sennheisers with my old laptop or ipod or any one else's computer.

Do you know what the root cause of this would be? The Sennheisers have better sound quality, but neither are exactly fancy headphones. It seems weird though that one would have extremely noticeable buzzing while the other would not if it isn't directly caused by the headphones.

Jun.

Smash Lord
Computer/Audio people:
I got a new laptop yesterday. It's righteous. HOWEVER, with my headphones [Sennheiser HD202] I get a weird buzzing sound whenever I'm listening to audio. Bummer. I messed around with drivers and such to no avail, but then tried another pair of headphones, my mom's older Sony headphones [MDR-V150]. They get basically no buzzing at all.

I've had no buzzing issues when I used the Sennheisers with my old laptop or ipod or any one else's computer.

Do you know what the root cause of this would be? The Sennheisers have better sound quality, but neither are exactly fancy headphones. It seems weird though that one would have extremely noticeable buzzing while the other would not if it isn't directly caused by the headphones.
NEVER THOUGHT ANYONE WOULD ASK. Your headphones are pretty good but the buzzing is most likely from signal interference that happens inside your laptop. The laptop headphone output is not exactly engineered for sound quality so electric interference is very common in stock headphone outputs. Plug it into a designated sound source such as an ipod/cd player and if there is no buzzing it should have something to do with the laptop for sure. To fix this, you're gonna have to get an external soundcard or usb amp which will sound lightyears better than the headphone output anyway. And they'll power your future headphone adventures. Good investment if you're into music which I think you are

I have a usb zero dac the ebay wonder running my senn hd650's with OPA627 opamps. Sounds good man

SuperRad

Smash Master
Recommendation for what to look for in a usb amp? I'm po' right now, but when if I can get my money right it seems like a worthwhile investment for all the music I listen to (as well as watching movies/tv shows, now that I've developed a taste for downloading stuff in HD).

Adam M!

Smash Lord
what makes amps such a good investment? how does it affect the listening quality?

/noob

Jun.

Smash Lord
amps / dacs are designed to reproduce sound well while computers and laptops aren't. Now sound quality of different amps are really subjective in that one person's "good" might be another's "ok" and such and such.

there are certain qualities of music that audiophiles look for such as depth, soundstage, acticulation and even some more bogus characteristics. There comes a limit where upgrades are just plain ridiculous and dumb. such as this $500 knob.

i think to a certain point the difference is clear but at a certain point it just gets plain ridiculous.

Jun.

Smash Lord
difference between computer output and that dac/amp even from ebay

should be NIGHT and DAY.

granted everything else in your setup could use a source improvement. Have to keep in mind audio/video equipment is all about the limiting factor. a 96kb/s music file won't sound good anywhere even through $10k of equipment. ipod earphones plugged into expensive amps won't make the appropriate difference. If you have a $50-100 pair of decent headphones, that amp should make a significant difference.

The best part if you really get to experience your favorite albums in a different manner. Hearing things you've never heard, additional details, separation of instruments/voices, depth of the performance.

festizzio

Smash Champion
The last thing on my copy clipboard:

But none of those suggestions make the white dust! Without the white dust, what's the point?

AXE 09

Smash Master
hey guys!!

me and tai are going to be in socal during the summer from july 4 until good **** german

so...

MELEE!!!!

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
axe come a day earlier for a UCSD triweekly. (Pat's house venue)
we can't :(

my parents are driving us all to socal (mainly to visit my grandparents) but we decided to just use that as a way to get to cali to play smash

and my dad has work on friday and saturday

trahhSTEEZY

Smash Champion
wow 3years i havent heard someone ask that in a LONG *** time, and right now we would be playing, but i'm currently in europe.

next time your down there hit me up and we'll play

Top Bottom