• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Event - MLG Anaheim 2014 So now that we know MLG hosts ridiculous smash tournaments...

Status
Not open for further replies.

-Ran

Smash Master
Slight cop-out until I wake up tomorrow... We can't ignore Meta Knight since he's utilized by over 40% of the top one hundred Brawl players.

Ps: I'll post other character selections vs the various starters later. Mental facilities failing due to deficient levels of sleep.

#HBC | Dark Horse

Mach-Hommy x Murakami
I noticed that FD is considered a counterpick because of the ledges. I consider lylat cruise's ledges worse. Several times I am in a position where I would have grabbed the ledge on most other stages, but I just hit the bottom of the ship.

Count Typo

Smash Apprentice
Raziek said:
You've clearly never fought someone who circle camps or planks correctly.
Okay. Care to show or explain? Because if not this is completely pointless to bring up.

See above, and you can't discretely ban circle camping, it's too abstract a concept.
Okay.

We have no problem with the stages. It's the starter stage LIST that we have the problem with.
...what's the difference?

Onett is more debatable, but his wall infinite is LEGAL, first off, and it's still 50 free damage or so, then he can just hold you into the car for another 30, then backthrow and you've just taken almost 100 damage.
Sounds a lot like IC's legal CG. Also you forgot the part where DDD gets hit in the face with a car.

The SBR criteria for banned stages include stages where one tactic over-centralizes the stage. In Onett's case, this means Dedede and the permanent walls.
So Diddy's bananas don't over-centralize FD? This is news.

As for, "They shouldn't be there anyway", you're kind of oblivious to the fact that Dedede can just gain a % lead then camp, and unless you have a projectile, you're done.
Why can't this be done on CS?

The ceiling means you get Cave of Life effects, which is considered a drastic change in gameplay (if you've read the criteria, which you clearly haven't.)
You're arrogance is getting annoying.

Anyone who's played on Mushroomy Kingdom for more than 30 seconds knows it isn't fit for competitive play.
Well yeah you can't play on it like FD or SV. The moving part kind of makes that clear :p

There's a difference between gay camping, and stupidly gay camping. Stupidly gay camping is near unbeatable, regular camping isn't.
Examples are terrific.

You've clearly never played Dedede here. If he grabs you ANYWHERE he'll just wall CG you until the blastzone is right next to you, then B-throw and run forward to do it again next time he grabs you.
Okay.

Blastline camping is when you sit by the blastzone, camp until your opponent has to approach, then kill them at extremely low percents by landing a throw. Falls under the definition of over-centralizing tactics, though it is more volatile since you can die just as easily. Regardless, it detracts too heavily from normal play.
So why isn't CS banned?

Still no. The fact that you even bring up New Pork is laughable.
Why?

Again, no.
Deny my statements without refuting. I have lost.

Now you're just getting ridiculous.
See above.

No, you're wrong, stop being silly.
You annoy me.

NNID
Budget_Player
Slight cop-out until I wake up tomorrow... We can't ignore Meta Knight since he's utilized by over 40% of the top one hundred Brawl players.

Ps: I'll post other character selections vs the various starters later. Mental facilities failing due to deficient levels of sleep.
We can't ignore him, but catering the stage list to him makes for an even more unbalanced game than otherwise. If one character is that much of a problem, the solution is simple-BAN THE ****ER.

I noticed that FD is considered a counterpick because of the ledges. I consider lylat cruise's ledges worse. Several times I am in a position where I would have grabbed the ledge on most other stages, but I just hit the bottom of the ship.
It isn't the ledges. It's the overall platform setup (i.e. one flat platform).

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
Whatever, we can't cater to ground based characters but we can to aerial based ones. Something is flawed here, especially when the aerial based ones are perfectly fine on neutrals. And neutrals do exist, none of this theory-crafting bull****. Everyone is just trying to deter around from anything grounded, let's play on a custom stage please (OS make one with only a box.)
U soooooo mad :laugh:

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
id love a box like stage imho, it means more sitting can take place

ADHD

Smash Hero
U soooooo mad :laugh:
Not really, I've realized there is too much support for the 9-starter stage list. It's going to die out right after mlg ends, watch that part. Then maybe we finally won't have dumb characters in the top 16.

ADHD

Smash Hero
Dumb characters = everyone who isn't MK, Falco, Snake, ICs, and Diddy?
Ike for god sakes.

Please attempt to fight with me on why Ike doesn't suck, ROFL. Ike should NEVER be in the top 16 of a major tournament. Never, ever, ever.

This isn't like mewtwo in melee or something, Ike is too limited.

Luigi is highly questionable as well.

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
no one knew the san match up

however sans ike does have amazing pecs

NNID
Budget_Player
Ike for god sakes.

Please attempt to fight with me on why Ike doesn't suck, ROFL. Ike should NEVER be in the top 16 of a major tournament. Never, ever, ever.

This much I agree with. However, look at the results! We've got Pikachu, ZSS, Luigi, ness in the top 16! No character repeats itself except MK! As opposed to:
-MK
-MK
-Falco
-Diddy
-Diddy
-MK
-Diddy
-Wario
-Diddy
-Snake
-MK
-MK
-MK
-MK

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
Nobody should ever win who isn't top tier! Nobody! It doesn't work. Never!

There should never be upsets, that would just be too random! Bad characters/teams should never beat good ones!

ADHD

Smash Hero
Nobody should ever win who isn't top tier! Nobody! It doesn't work. Never!

There should never be upsets, that would just be too random! Bad characters/teams should never beat good ones!
It wouldn't raise your eyebrows if mario was in the top 10 of a national?

This stuff has NEVER happened before in any tournament other than mlg. I'm just going to assume it was the stages/TV lag because it's not going to repeat itself outside of mlg.

Count Typo

Smash Apprentice
If a character is bad, he won't end up in the top 16. Ike was there. He isn't horrible.

It wouldn't raise your eyebrows if mario was in the top 10 of a national?
Nope, not really.

This stuff has NEVER happened before in any tournament other than mlg. I'm just going to assume it was the stages/TV lag because it's not going to repeat itself outside of mlg.
There's a first time for everything. What's wrong with that?

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
not guys its not mk/wario/diddy/snakes fault for not placing well

ITS DA GOD**** TVS FAULT FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFSSSS THAT 2-3 FRAME DELAY SO MAD LIKE SALTY HORSE****

etecoon

Smash Hero
Ike for god sakes.

TV lag was probably more of an influence on most of these than the stage list, and people not knowing matchups

(norfair still ******** and shouldn't be legal tho)

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
Ike for god sakes.

Apparently he's good enough on a different stage list.

ADHD

Smash Hero
If a character is bad, he won't end up in the top 16. Ike was there. He isn't horrible.

Nope, not really.

There's a first time for everything. What's wrong with that?
These characters have consistently performed poorly and until mlg (with random factors) they've suddenly rose to the top with the metaknights who frequently perform the best scattered all over the dang place. Trust me, I'd really acknowledge it if it was on regular TVs with a regular stage list.

I've never acted like this before MLG, and yes, I've placed 7th and 5th at other nationals and not said a word. I'm not johning rofl, people just don't like to see me going against them when their so smitten with their purple names and fantastic ideas on tweaking the game since they can't just leave it alone. Nothing wrong with how it was originally was, other than a few things like metaknight's planking and LGL's.

Wow, I've definitely just discovered smashboards.

Allied

Smash Master
These characters have consistently performed poorly and until mlg (with random factors) they've suddenly rose to the top with the metaknights who frequently perform the best scattered all over the dang place. Trust me, I'd really acknowledge it if it was on regular TVs with a regular stage list.

I've never acted like this before MLG, and yes, I've placed 7th and 5th at other nationals and not said a word. I'm not johning rofl, people just don't like to see me going against them when their so smitten with their purple names.
/Support ADHD

Overswarm

is laughing at you
You could have joined the cool kids club if you were able to post with reasoning other than "but this doesn't help ME"

bigbucks

Smash Journeyman
Maybe players of certain players just worked harder than usual for MLG. seriously, Upsets happen. the rise of this unviable/bad characters maybe due to several reasons.
1-High tier players that dont know their matchups
2-The player itself practiced alot(look at M2k, He said he practiced pretty much all day and look where he is now)

Count Typo

Smash Apprentice
What random factors? The televisions affected everybody. EVERYbody.

Although I'm probably missing something stupidly obvious that'll make me facepalm later.

I've never acted like this before MLG, and yes, I've placed 7th and 5th at other nationals and not said a word. I'm not johning rofl, people just don't like to see me going against them when their so smitten with their purple names and fantastic ideas on tweaking the game since they can't just leave it alone. Nothing wrong with how it was originally was, other than a few things like metaknight's planking and LGL's.
By the way, I really don't care about your "attitude". It's much better than the hypocrisy of those opposing your "attitude".

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657

You are completely ignoring the possibility that the MLG stage list is more correct, which might not be the case, but also might be the case. "These characters were really bad until we started using this stage list so obviously they are bad" is not a correct statement for a variety of reasons (mostly because a stage list is not better just because we've been using it for a long time). You might say "These characters were really bad until we started using this stage list, so the stage list is more beneficial to them" which would be a correct statement but doesn't make the stage list inherently bad, it only makes the stage list... well, not beneficial to you, which sucks for you.

I invite you to re-read Nefarious' post in which he directly addresses Diddy's limitations as a character in terms of stages. He's actually (probably) correct in that Diddy doing so well when he's so limited in this way means we aren't using the kind of stage list we should. There are characters that are good on nearly every stage; these should be the characters that are performing well. We shouldn't be cutting the stage list down until character X starts performing better at nationals, we should be expanding it because we can't prove that these stages break most characters. Starting out with the assumption that X characters are better and then saying that because of this the stage list should be more inclined to better characters is faulty because the stage list is such a big factor in their dominance.

I.e., you need to do better than circular reasoning.

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
Not really, I've realized there is too much support for the 9-starter stage list. It's going to die out right after mlg ends, watch that part. Then maybe we finally won't have dumb characters in the top 16.
Lol.

Well perhaps, but it'll probably be because there won't be a big enough payout like MLG's that will get EC/WC to leave their own regions and we'll end up going back to the ol' location monopolization/coast regional meatriding again. Ideals will be forced upon those players in the respective areas until they just roll with it and not ask questions. Open curiosity will be brought to a screeching halt because no one else in said areas will be willing to listen or try anything. Results will become as stale as ever again (not guaranteed mind you, but I'm still willing to bet on it). Diddy, Falco, and ICs will once again be artificially buffed by the "start on a favorable stage no matter what in game 1" factor, and you'll stop crying and will start to treat people with a little respect, albeit conditional to your reformed satisfaction.

I know...big claims to make, but easy to see coming.

Count Typo

Smash Apprentice
and you'll stop crying and will start to treat people with a little respect
BAHAHAHA. Are you serious? You break down into a temper tantrum every time somebody doesn't agree with you. You're a hypocrite. Maybe you can redeem yourself of that status when you start showing this "respect" you keep baaawing at ADHD to give.

ADHD

Smash Hero
Lol.

Well perhaps, but it'll probably be because there won't be a big enough payout like MLG's that will get EC/WC to leave their own regions and we'll end up going back to the ol' location monopolization/coast regional meatriding again. Ideals will be forced upon those players in the respective areas until they just roll with it and not ask questions. Open curiosity will be brought to a screeching halt because no one else in said areas will be willing to listen or try anything. Results will become as stale as ever again (not guaranteed mind you, but I'm still willing to bet on it). Diddy, Falco, and ICs will once again be artificially buffed by the "start on a favorable stage no matter what in game 1" factor, and you'll stop crying and will start to treat people with a little respect, albeit conditional to your reformed satisfaction.

I know...big claims to make, but easy to see coming.
And you know why? Because the community will abruptly realize that just because MLG is behind the ruleset doesn't mean it's good. The old ruleset will return as strong as before, just because it's wanted by the majority. No one is willing to change because they are afraid of a sudden lack of attendance (and they should be), but the name of MLG is powerful enough to keep a steady attendance for a good year or so until people are drained of exhaustion from playing on these stages.

I don't know why Overswarm was ever given this much power to have so many people meatriding him. He may have a degree in writing, but.. come on.

It's overswarm, lol. The name wouldn't make anyone understand anything here other than God, but outside of these forums he's mocked.

You can do anything on a video game forum with a degree in writing.

etecoon

Smash Hero
LMFAO at DIDDY/FALCO/IC'S ALWAYS START ON A GOOD STAGE ALWAYS

don't wanna argue because 9 stage starter system is beneficial to me anyway but cmon son, you being ********

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
BAHAHAHA. Are you serious? You break down into a temper tantrum every time somebody doesn't agree with you. You're a hypocrite. Maybe you can redeem yourself of that status when you start showing this "respect" you keep baaawing at ADHD to give.
Who are you?

A temper tantrum is what you get out of my posts? I italicize some of my words to show emphasis and that comes off as a rant? Excellent reading comprehension you have there, guy. :laugh:

If you actually take the time to look past a first impression, you'll see that I present legitimate arguments and listen to what the other party has to say, but in this case ADHD's argument is so self-serving that, yes, I chose to be aggressive in my opposition.

Again, not everyone is a passive arguer, so it's not justifiable to expect it out of everyone. He was the one to lash out first: at my region, at my personal skill, at other peoples' personal skill levels (frequently throughout the thread and who knows where else), at my supposed bias (misinformed on his part), etc.

Damage Points

Smash Ace
You make a living off a game. Pathetic. Even M2k who makes the most out of all if you probably doesn't consider this making a living. Go to school and get a job. I make MLGs first place payout in about one week at my job. Gaming and competitive smash is a hobby and if you are doing this for a living you sir are a loser.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
It's overswarm, lol. The name wouldn't make anyone understand anything here other than God, but outside of these forums he's mocked.
Tee hee. I'm actually pretty well-liked by those I associate with, I just chose to troll you hard in person as well as on the forums. XD

It's a BA in English and Secondary Education, btw. Not writing. And the "secondary education" part gave me a lot of classes and experience in dealing with people that argued just like you, except they were more arguing about "why can't we pick our own groups" and "that's so gay I have to take algebra 2" when they couldn't understand why things they didn't like didn't necessarily mean they were bad.

etecoon

Smash Hero
Even M2k who makes the most out of all if you probably doesn't consider this making a living.
I wish I remembered enough of that rant to search for his post where he went off on someone about how he hates brawl and the community now and only does it because it's a job to him <_<

Damage Points

Smash Ace
Well then again he is patheic. If $2000 every few months is a lot of money to you guys god bless. Wait until you are out on your own. I promise you smash won't be your only job.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
You make a living off a game. Pathetic. Even M2k who makes the most out of all if you probably doesn't consider this making a living. Go to school and get a job. I make MLGs first place payout one week at my job. Gaming and competitive smash is a hobby and if you are doing this for a living you sir are a loser.
Hey, guess what?

I have a BA in English and Secondary Education and work full time as IT working with SAP, the most popular business software package in the world.

At the same time, I help organize events and make them more fun for all sorts of people.

Prior to that, for 8 months, I quit my job and played Smash because it made more than my student worker position as an IT helpdesk worker.

Now, I'm making plenty of money and am filling up my savings while at the same time have a better "college years" story than kids who went out and partied all the time. I got to travel to mulitple states and live comfortably off of video games for 2/3rds of a year before I fell into a good position at my college.

There's more to life than money. My degree says all there is about that; I make more now than I'd be making if I had been a teaching in my 5th year at this point. I didn't get my degree for the money.

But hey, I'm makin' the money all the same. I'll go to teaching when the water's less choppy and I've got a more solid base.

If you want me to pick out a loser though, I'd say it's the guy on the video game forum judging others because they take the game more seriously than he does. Just because you might get excited at placing well at a 7 man local doesn't mean we all have those same expectations. I personally pride myself in making a fair ruleset for everyone, which is why I participate in these discussions.

How about you get off smashboards and get a life of your own? Go spend all that money you're making and live like a rock star, right? You're just wasting time here.

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
Well then again he is patheic. If $2000 every few months is a lot of money to you guys god bless. Wait until you are out on your own. I promise you smash won't be your only job.
This man speaks the truth, it ain't easy out on your own. It's safe just to consider Smash as a casual/competitive hobby and nothing more.

Overswarm

is laughing at you

Tell that to a whopping 20% of the US population, genius.

Not everyone is as lucky.

Personally, I can't think of a single person who wouldn't enjoy getting an extra $200-2000 every weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom