• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So does Samus suck now, or am I missing somthing

acojan

Smash Apprentice
i love samus.... her gameplay doesn't get boring since all of her moves are usefull... maybe not bombs but it has its used and its not THAT bad.... much like mario (which is why i also main him)

i mained zelda when brawl just came out and i now see how much i was missing......
samus is fun and thats all that matters. end of story

Zodiac

Smash Master
Uair? It does hardy anything and is extremely difficult to hit with, Id just as soon use Fair which almost always hits.

And Zair for some reason does an air dodge alot, or else id use it more. How do i avoid this?
I use the uair the rack up damage, if your opponent doesnt di well you should use that oppurtunity to jump on double uair them, cause it gets a decent amount of damage, and its one of the few attacks you can do twice in a row without retaliation.

Gum

Smash Journeyman
next to sonic and yoshi she has the worst priority
Most definitely false. Her jab outprioritizes ridiculous things for no reason, and clanks with even more ridiculous things, such as Charizards fsmash. Her fair has priority over a fair amount of things as does her nair, and her up b. Not sure what you are talking about.

Subach

Smash Apprentice
Most definitely false. Her jab outprioritizes ridiculous things for no reason, and clanks with even more ridiculous things, such as Charizards fsmash. Her fair has priority over a fair amount of things as does her nair, and her up b. Not sure what you are talking about.
Indeed, I can't think of a non-sword wielding character other than Snake that really rivals her in priority.

Gypsy Lee

Smash Champion
Well, since the current Brawl metagame is about camping and forcing your opponent to approach, wouldn't that make Samus pretty solid? She out-camps practically every character. Her approaches are harder to punish then most others' because of her lag-less aerials and great physics/DI. In theory, she's actually pretty good. Haha, but I'm nub, so I'm prolly wrong. :ohwell:

0RLY

A great conversation filler at bars and parties
Samus lacks in speed, and lagless aerials aren't much of a help if you fall slower than Luigi or don't have amazing aerial DI. Otherwise, Samus is pretty solid, outside of the lack of a solid, reliable kill move.

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
I'm a very lazy person. And I'd assume most other gamers are typically very lazy people as well. This being said, people who loaf about on the interwebs all day are also very lazy. In fact when you mix the two types together you get the MMORPG nut, who is by far the laziest of all people.

With all of this in mind, anything that we can't simply click and watch is a large burden on us. The fact that this link appears to be to a .zip file I'm sure many of us are discouraged from going through the trouble of downloading, uncompressing, watching, and deleting to be bothered with it.

Nah man, but to be honest what I said is probably the gist of why no one's replied as of yet. I suggest uploading the videos to YouTube and then linking it back again. Also this probably isn't the appropriate thread for such things.

G3rain1

Smash Apprentice
They are saved replays. You just need to put them on an SD card and watch them from within Brawl. I have no idea how make a video.

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
Ah. Sadly I believe the people who know how to or are capable of watching your videos are rather slim. Hopefully someone will be able to help you out soon. Though I wouldn't get my hopes to high. v_v

Gypsy Lee

Smash Champion
Samus lacks in speed, and lagless aerials aren't much of a help if you fall slower than Luigi or don't have amazing aerial DI. Otherwise, Samus is pretty solid, outside of the lack of a solid, reliable kill move.
But they are when someone shields your aerial, and before they can shield grab you, you out-prioritize it with a lightning-fast jab. :lick: I suppose you're right, though.

G3rain1

Smash Apprentice
Its not a video its a replay. Anyone with a wii and a copy of brawl should be able to watch them.

SarahHarp

Smash Apprentice
I had a look, and I'd suggest using zair more often, seeing as you had some good opportunities to use it. You also need to work on dodging things a lot better. Many times I've seen you fall effortlessly into links bombs/arrows when a simple air dodge could've negated that.
Finally, incorporating forward/backward and up tilts would have been beneficial in many situations I came across when watching. Basically, I'm saying there were a lot of moves of Samus's that you rarely ever used.

HugS

Smash Champion
Southern California (818) San fernando valley
@HugS:

Irritating? I havn't made that argument in forever, so how is it "getting" irritating. Also, Im not sure why you believe that only big names from melee are good at Brawl. On the contrary there are a LOT of really good players that people dont know of because they dont strive to become well known. Look at Forte for example. He wasnt well known in melee (though he was really good), but he is amazing in Brawl and wins singles and doubles tourneys in VA all the time. At any rate the last big tourney I was in was at C3 in NoVa this past weekend. "Opponents of serious merit" as you so put it were Azen, Chu, M2K, Neo, Omni, Chineesah, Forte, Toasty, Plank, G-reg, and Tope just to name a few. But make no mistake, just because these guys were the big names doesnt mean everyone else sucked.

@-Slash-:

She is from ****ing space. She was floaty in her games, hence why she is floaty in smash.
I'm not saying they have to be melee pros. I never said only the Melee players can be good in brawl. I'm saying they have to have some credentials in Brawl, which to my knowledge, they don't. I've never seen you or Slash or whoever you play, do anything respectable enough for you to claim that, because of your findings, samus should be high tier. You're misleading people.

So you went to C3. That's not an accomplishment as it was open to the public. How did you place? I looked for the results and I didn't see you there unless you went by a different name.

The fact is, your normal competition can be very good even without being big names. The problem isn't that I'm saying they haven't done anything of merit, I'm saying that you claim them to be of a higher skill level without proof... as if you are an authority on the matter. By deductive reasoning, people will assume that if you succeed against these said "skilled players" then certainly samus is underrated.

You're misleading people. That's my problem.

ll Mafia ll

Smash Apprentice
Charizard is a lot better than Squirtle I find.

Anyway, I'm having the same problem with Samus. I can play Captain Falcon better than I can play Samus. That can't be right.
I'm not so sure how that deals with how good a character is...
I play Samus better than every other character...
Doesn't mean Samus is better than every other character...

gantrain05

Smash Master
i don't know, i don't play samus much, but when i do i usually get my butt whipped, probably because i like to fight in the air, and samus is so slow in the air, and all my friends use sword characters, (meta knight and link are their mains) i don't generally do too well, but she seems like she DOES have potential, i just haven't found my playstyle with her yet.

orintemple

Smash Lord
So I am a newbie to Samus, picked her up about 2 days ago, but I love her. I find it is hard to fight people soemtimes, at least in a timely manner, but it seems to be somewhat of a slowly but surely thing. I seem to avoid hits better, since I naturally play Samus much more conservatively than I do my other characters.

I think the problemwith Samus is that she is really hard to play well. I seem to throw people for a loop when I play her, because they don't know how to deal with it, but if someone can play Samus very well then I think she has potential. I don't think she is quite as bad as she is made out to be, but her potential metagame seems more complicated than most characters in Brawl.

But that Zair, she has got to have potential with a tool like that, wow.

acv

Smash Journeyman
dont worry there is a thread like this in every character board except snake's

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
I'm not so sure how that deals with how good a character is...
I play Samus better than every other character...
Doesn't mean Samus is better than every other character...
It does when you play the entire roster with equal skill for the most part.

People tell me I can pick up just about any character and play effectively with them.

Samus is one of the few who I simply can't. (the others being DK, Sonic, and Link.)

But for the most part, you're correct. It's probably just my playing style.

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
I find it really difficult to play EXTREMELY aggressively as Samus. She's not like Sheik in any way, well, except the mild nerfing, but otherwise, she's an opportunist. You have to maneouver her into the right position to pull of some decent attacks.

In other words, she's a strategy character. You can't just run up to someone and open a can of whoop-***. You have to carefully open the can one bit at a time. It seems like the "split personality" characters in Brawl need to be used together to get the ball rolling. Sheik and Zelda work well apart, but in my opinion, they work so much better together, even though they're polar opposites.

Try practicing with ZSS, and doing the manual taunt-transformation to change the pace of your gameplay.

Gum

Smash Journeyman
One of the best things about her is that she does a lot of damage per hit. This means that one good combo with her can easily haveyou opponent up past 50%, and tis is not including the projectiles, bombs, and zairs that you are throwing out between attacks. In proportion, this means that a good Samus can have their opponent within KO range off the stage. This being around 60% percent. Best way to get early KO's with her is to chase you opponent off the stage with either nair and zair for gimps if your opponents goes more horizontal, or dairs for a vertically recovering opponent. Its a skill to be mastered, but once you get good at it, you will find yourself getting early KO's with her.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Look at tournament placings.

Find samus players.

There is your answer.

Gum

Smash Journeyman
You completely ignored my last post, Gum. Did you have a problem in responding to it? This isn't **** talk, I am really interested in how you'll respond.
Honestly HugS, Im just tired of responding to elitist attitudes on the boards, and at the time that I read your post I was eating noodles and did not feel like I had to stop enjoying the deliciousness to respond to yet another one.

My point is simply this: I play good people on a daily. What you call merit I call being good enough to compete with other really good players in or out of the tourney scene. FYI all of the people I DO play have been competetive for a LONG time and whether YOU know who they are or not is null and void. You said "...they have to have some credentials in Brawl, which to my knowledge, they don't." Oh, really? Im sorry lord HuGs, for playing people who to YOUR almighty knowledge dont have credentials! Please cut it. They only HAVE to have credentials for YOU to understand what Im saying about Samus. Brawl is a new game, yet you are looking for some outstanding achievements, as if other things don't come into play. Yes, there are people who have won tourneys, but the game hasn't nearly reached it's competetive potential. Look at how long it took melee to blow up. The core issue is ARE THESE PLAYERS SKILLED and HOW DOES SAMUS PERFORM AGAINST THESES PLAYERS' CHARACTERS OF CHOICE? Can they use mindgames? What techniques do they use predomenately? How do they do in tourneys? How do their characters moves match-up against Samus'? Almost everyone I play place in at least the top 10 of every tourney they go to which is pretty good whether we are talking winning or losing.

You say I have no proof? I have posted videos. I have more current videos coming that document my, and my opponents' development as players. We have to all win every big tourney in order for YOU to get what Im saying? Ridiculous sir. C3 wasn't an accomplishment because it was open to the public? Are you serious? Do you know how pompous you sound? Pretty much EVERYONE there was good including people who were not big names.

I reitterate: Samus has the potential to be high tier at least. She has the tools as a character to be able to adapt to every character match-up. She has not a single bad move. She has the unique ability to limit options amazingly. I think ROB has that same ability (the top is so good.) These character aspects + time put in by a smart player means that she can most definitely become high tier. People tend to confuse really easy to use (MK) with good. Im telling people that they dont need to get depressed because Samus is a really good character, but it will take time for everyone to realize it because so many people like you have made her seem terrible. Even people who dont use her think she is bad because they believe the bull**** they read on the boards.

But really, why am Im wasting time responding? That was my thoughts, and Im going to continue bringing her up in the ranks despite what whoever says.

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
Gum, either answer his question or let it drop. We don't need a flame war here.

Also, don't throw the term "Elitist" around like that. While the term "Elitist" itself is an honorable one, the n00bs (yes n00bs, losers, people who suck at this game) have given this title to the people who pretend they know what they are talking about. The people that the great players call "Scrubs" are in fact the same people the rest of the community call "Elitists". In the end, people who act all big a tough on the boards but can't back their talk in real life are Scrubs. Unfortunately, many of the people they yell at actually think they are good and mistakenly call them Elitists.

This being said, HugS is one of the greatest Smash minds on these boards. If you disagree with him that's fine. But you don't need to throw a temper tantrum, especially when people tend to trust veteran player's opinions on things like this.

Powered-By-Sex

Smash Apprentice
Samus has a lot of trouble killing. I was trying her the other day, and it seems almost impossible to kill someone without going into extremely high % >.<

Hive

Smash Lord
:( geez guys is it really that big a deal?? :(
who cares what his tournaments he's been in... this thread is based on opinions we don't need credentials for every post.... and even if he did place big in a major tournament... would it really change your opinion?the posts that have real persuasive power are usually ones with data to back them up.....
So he thinks samus is good? who cares.
And who cares what hugs thinks of himself (and I'm sure he doesn't think he's god just because he was good at melee...) This has nothing to do with the thread....
I'm sure both your d**ks are roughly the same size...
I'm not writing this to piss anyone off.... I just want to retain focus for this post...
And I'm not asking u guys to like each other... just pm it instead... :)

Gum

Smash Journeyman
Gum, either answer his question or let it drop. We don't need a flame war here.

Also, don't throw the term "Elitist" around like that. While the term "Elitist" itself is an honorable one, the n00bs (yes n00bs, losers, people who suck at this game) have given this title to the people who pretend they know what they are talking about. The people that the great players call "Scrubs" are in fact the same people the rest of the community call "Elitists". In the end, people who act all big a tough on the boards but can't back their talk in real life are Scrubs. Unfortunately, many of the people they yell at actually think they are good and mistakenly call them Elitists.

This being said, HugS is one of the greatest Smash minds on these boards. If you disagree with him that's fine. But you don't need to throw a temper tantrum, especially when people tend to trust veteran player's opinions on things like this.
Well firstly, I answered his questions. Secondly, I was the one who let it drop in the first place, and he asked ME why I didn't respond to him, so who is te one not letting it drop?

Also, Im not 'throwing' the term "elitist" around at all. I am quite specifically calling him one. I don't give the title to anyone who thinks that they know what they are talking about when they don't. Im am using that term to refer to someone who, due to their reputation in the smash community, think that their opinion and whatever else they say is better than that of anyone else. I refrained from replying because for one, I was enjoying delicious noodles at the time of reading his last post, and two because I really didn't think i twas worth debating. The fact that I was called out yet again is pretty annoying, but im not mad, and its definitely not a tantrum. Im just being frank. The last thing you said is my point exactly. Because he is a veteran player (like a lot of people are in fact) it seems as if his word is the end-all-be-all on the issue to people who are not involved with the subject matter. I'm not one of those people. Once again though, I digress.

@Hive: You are absolutely right, and I apologize for side tracking the thread, I just wanted to clear that up since HugS had to bring it up again.

Coldfront

Smash Apprentice
I've found that the quickest way to get better outside of playing people better than you is to play single player modes in unfair situations. Try playing 2 on 1 team battles against the computer or play 1 on 1 at 2x normal speed. The methods are rough at first but they develop your reflexes quickly.,

Top Bottom