• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Snake vs. Diddy Kong

Underload

Lazy
Discuss the Diddy Kong matchup in here. Discussion is open indefinitely. Don't be afraid to post.

:snake::diddy:

Bulletpoints:
  • Surprise surprise, you'll be dealing with bananas in this matchup. Diddy's kill power isn't a highlight of his game, but his ability to rack up damage is almost unmatched.
  • No matter what someone may say, your grenades are fantastic in this matchup. They screw up Diddy's banana game, and thusly his banana combos.
  • Learn to use bananas well. Z-catching, ADCTs, and general projectile defense techniques will do you wonders here.
  • Keep your blunt mistakes under control. Diddy is an excellent punisher, and you will get combo'd offstage if you, say, land incorrectly on FD or something.
  • Watch your feet. Diddy loves to throw bananas under you while you're recovering and follow up with a grab. Airdodging while you land is a good counter to this. You'll catch the banana, and you can instantly throw it back in his face and punish with ftilt.
  • You outcamp him. Use that fact to its maximum. You are in a VERY bad spot if you're close to Diddy, so keep your distance and learn how to use those specials, son.
  • Your weight is one of your best tools. You shouldn't be dying until 160%+ in this matchup, but still watch for obvious dsmashes and fsmashes.
  • Try counterpicking something with platforms and boundaries beneficial to you, to take advantage of Diddy's lack of kill power. Halberd is always great, its short ceiling helps you a lot more than it helps Diddy. Also try Jungle Japes if you can DI up well, or maybe even Frigate Orpheon. Ban FD every time.
  • This matchup is difficult to gauge, but the majority thinks it's 50:50. Argue otherwise, as you may be correct in your assumptions.
Notable Posts:
Snake's advantages:
- Hard to KO
- Can kill Diddy early
- Can camp Diddy
- Can use Diddy's nanas to his advantage
- Long ranged attacks with high priority
- Can tech chase fairly well
- Diddy's recovery can be gimped

Diddy's advantages:
- Bananas mess up Snake's ground game and camping
- Strong throws
- Solid meteor smash
- Bananas also help Diddy kill Snake
- Aerial games are better than Snake's
- F-air and b-air may be troublesome
- Solid d-smash

What to do:
Diddy with his trusty side kicks (bananas) are pretty hard to deal with. Bananas distract Snake's camping and ground game and usually whenever Snake shields nanas, it might as well result into Snake sliping giving Diddy the upper hand. His bananas can also clear ways on how to kill Snake such as throwing a nana on then D-smash or F-smash. Also, Diddy can lock Snake with 2 nanas or even 1. Diddy's nanas also form great combos (yes, true combos)

Snake can camp Diddy fairly well but he needs to watch out for Diddy's nanas. Snake needs to keep Diddy's nanas alive and away from Diddy so Diddy won't get a chance to use a banana. When Diddy has one nana available it's okay but when 2 nanas are out then your in for a world of hurt. Snake can tech chase Diddy fairly well but sometimes, nanas might just interupt it. This is how nanas completely distract Snake's game. Snake can solve this by keeping Diddy away from his nanas. Diddy's recovery isn't that good and it can be gimped so take advantage of that.

Overall, the match up is all about camping and being alert. Always keep an eye on Diddy's nanas cause if you don't, then you won't live long. Never go to FD. Diddy's ground game is BETTER than Snake's so stages with a lot of plain ground will be a bit dangerous. You need to know what stage limits Diddy's options. Be careful whenever your throwing nanas on Diddy. Diddy can get it back whenever you do that. Well you can lock him in a banana lock too but still.

Overall ratio:
50:50

Stages:
CP:
Halberd

Ban:
FD
Finally, been wanting to see this matchup discussed for a while. I'll try to summarize it best I can. Prepare for yet another long post, which almost seems more of a tutorial than a matchup discussion xd.

Snake basically wins this matchup based on the sole reason that he can't die. Unless you get tricked into a spike or Side B shenanigans, Diddy's ability to kill Snake is very poor. However, what he CAN do is rack up damage VERY quickly, which is what makes the matchup pretty close IMO.

Pros:
Snake can live on average 160%+ in this matchup
Nades screw up Diddy's banana combos and options quite a bit
Snake has nice punish options with bananas
Diddy dies early Vs Snake
Hard for Diddy to CP Snake (yes)
Can outcamp Diddy a little

Cons:
Being up close vs Diddy with bananas is very bad
Diddy does a decent job of punishing Snake off stage, and can gimp well
Fast paced matchup?

Alright, so let's start with the basics. Diddys WILL use bananas against you constantly if they know how to use the char. Diddy without bananas is nothing against Snake. Bananas even the matchup more, and make it dangerous to be close up with Diddy when bananas are around him or in his hand. So this leads to the number one thing in this matchup: LEARN TO USE BANANAS! If you don't learn how to pick them up, or throw them effectively, you'll lose. Just picking them up and throwing them offstage isn't as viable as it seems, since Diddy can pop another two out just as quickly.

For using bananas, a great way to pick them up is to Z-catch them. This is done simply by pressing Z right as Snake's body (the middleish) is touching the banana. You will pick it up with no lag, and can even instant toss it with C-stick directions. This is highly effective. Do NOT pick it up with an aerial in the air. That is a wonderful way to get punished by Diddy. Air dodge picking it up can work too, but not as good. You can even Z-catch them on the ground by pressing it right before landing on it, which is EXTREMELY useful so you don't land and trip on them. Same with bananas on platforms. Jump up and Z-catch them. Again, NEVER do aerials to pick them up with Snake.

Okay so now you know how to pick up bananas, how do you use them? You have quite a few options. You can take the path of throwing them off the stage if you really think that'll stop Diddy from pulling more out fast enough. You can throw them high up in the air to throw Diddy off, or drop it on the ground, or even throw them back at Diddy. But let me state that just wildly throwing bananas at Diddy isn't wise, they expect it just as you should, and will just shield it, then grab it, and throw it back at you. Instead, mix things up. Diddy shielding? Drop the banana and go grab him. MIX things up is what makes it important.

Just for some reference, Snake can do some neato things if a banana trips Diddy. Since Snake is so great at punishing, you can do almost anything you normally would do to punish.

Alright, now just to add more to banana knowledge, Diddy has a hard time comboing you with bananas if there are any nades laying around, or mines even. Nades interrupt him well, so whenever you have distance between you and Diddy, have nades in between too. Diddy can't just toss it and go for a dash attack/grab without blowing up. Dropping nades right next to bananas with Diddy close by is also tricky for Diddy to deal with. He may even pick up the nade by mistake and be open for punishment. If you space away from Diddy's bananas range, you're good. If you're too close, jumping will avoid getting tripped. Just don't ever go for an ftilt or utilt if Diddy is standing holding a banana. That's a free combo.

Moving onto off stage, Diddy can gimp Snake fairly well. But most of his options are easily telegraphed. Diddys options generally are to spike you if you recover low (you will lose your stock 9/10 times), grab release you over the ledge and dtilt your double jump then gimp, Fair you, or Side B you if you Up B a little too close (though this option isn't too smart for Diddy). All of those are easily avoidable by recovering high and up as soon as you can. Only Fair can really snag you, and then you can just DI.

Likewise, Snake can do some nasty things to Diddy over the ledge. Learn Diddy's recovery options. They're not as bad as people make it out to be, but still gimpable. So you knock Diddy off stage, and he either Side B's or Up Bs. If you predict the Side B, you can Bair Diddy out of it, though risky. Up B can be beat by just grabbing the ledge before Diddy does. Sometimes he'll be forced to charge it to land on stage, which is another punish. Don't forget bananas interrupt his Up B too, so you can toss them at him if they're still on stage. Most of the time, Diddy will try to save his Side B for grabbing the ledge then Up B as a failsafe if you grab it. Try to mix up how you edge guard, as you would Falco. If you drop a Bair off stage every time, you're going to get messed up eventually. Also note Diddys tend to charge Up B while still aiming for the edge if you're hanging onto it, simply because they expect you to get off of it once your invincibility frames are up. Keep note of this.

Diddy, like most chars, beats Snake in the air. His Uair, Fair, and Bair are good. Uair juggles, Bair wall of pains a little, and Fair can KO decently. Try not to hang in the air long vs Diddy.

For stages, most people say ban FD. I personally don't think Snake does that bad on FD Vs Diddy, but that's me. I think it's really easy to space away from bananas with nades there. But if you don't ban FD, I honestly don't know what else you would ban Vs Diddy other than SV for similar reasons as FD. As for counterpicking, Halberd can be your best choice due to utilt, but you'd have to be careful of getting naner locked across the large parts of the stage. I've heard Diddy does pretty poorly on Brinstar, and possibly Rainbow Cruise, but Snakes usually don't go there. BF is kind of small making it harder to space away from bananas, though the platforms do provide interruptions of naner locks.

When it comes to killing for Diddy, you can expect Dsmash/Fsmash/Fair and occasionally a Uair KO attempt if high up. Hilariously, they're all fairly weak as far as kill moves go, which is something very bad Vs Snake. If he trips you at high %, expect Dsmash/Fsmash. DI upward to survive. Not much you can do about Uair other than just avoid it. That's about all he's going to do to try to kill you, short of gimping. Fair off stage of course. Snake killing Diddy is not too bad. Utilt KOs pretty well. That's about all you need to kill with. Wait for a trip, then utilt. :)

Some common "combos" for Diddy are, at low %'s they will dash attack to Usmash Snake and try to combo with that. It's a little tricky, but don't fall for it. Predictable banana combos of not top level Diddys are usually glide toss forward, go for the grab or dash attack regardless of whether or not you trip. Dash attack is hard to punish, but not unstoppable. Grab is dodgeable of course. If you see the Diddy having patterns with their bananas, just bait and punish. Nades will screw up glide toss to dash attack Diddys quite a bit. If a banana is thrown at you while shielding and bounces off your shield, you can Z-catch it in the air. But be warned that if Diddy throws it really close he can jump Fair you to punish.

Last, lemme talk about Diddy's Side B. Diddy's LOVE to use this move against opponents who shield too much. Don't stand next to Diddy shielding, you'll just get Side B'd. It also has high priority, apparently, so don't try to beat it with an attack if it's coming towards you. Your best bet is to shield grab it if you're spaced properly. If you're edge guarding Diddy and standing right near the ledge with him hanging onto it, the Diddy will probably try to Side B you. Be aware of it.

Overall, it's a tricky matchup that Snake gets ***** in until you learn how to use bananas and figure out that Diddy has a ridiculous time killing Snake. Diddy with momentum can be overwhelming, but once you hit 60% that momentum can go away and Snake can come back from it. It's hard for me to pin a number on this matchup. It can be anywhere between 50-50 to 60-40 Snake. Because I have yet to play a top level Diddy like ADHD/Gnes/Felix, but at the same time haven't lost to one in a long time, I'm going to say it's 50-50 until I play a top Diddy.
Diddy Vs Snake
The main problem Snake players have against Diddy are bananas. The best option of what to do with them is to just throw them off the stage. Don’t lose momentum when doing this though so learn to instant throw from a jump. If he has two bananas out pretend you are trying to time him out. This way one of the bananas will disappear. Some tricks with bananas are; if you are holding a banana you can pull a nade to drop the banana and you can throw nades at bananas to make the nades explode.

Another thing that I see a lot of Snake’s have problems with is the Diddy hump. I try to treat this like a weaker tornado, except it can go through shields if they don’t go for the hit. Your moves that beat it are Utilt, Bair, Pivotgrab, Ftilt, and Dtilt(if they are low enough). If you get hit by the initial grab hitbox they will do their normal hit. Then they will jump up and will either Fair or air dodge if you chase them. Just run up, shield(to avoid the fair.) and grab them as they land.

If you get grabbed by the ledge at a low percent be careful. They will either pummel (in which case you struggle and buffer a jump and airdodge to get back on the stage safely.) or they will throw you and try to gimp you. Either read the attack and buffer a uair before the dair can hit you. However, the safest possible option is to jump away and cypher away from the stage. Then when you are at a high height you b reverse a grenade to get back to the stage safely. However, If you aren’t comfortable with that option jump away and c4 then try to recover a bit higher so you are safe.

When you are recovering, either recover to the ledge or recover high. Avoid doing b grenade reversals when Diddy is directly below you. If he reads it he can throw a banana and blow up the nade and potentially kill you.

Another thing to remember in the match up is that you want to stay in the middle at all times. You don’t want to get grabbed by the edges no matter what. It gives Diddy a lot of time to get bananas and it will get you a large amount of damage.

Diddy is going to be trying to kill you with one of three moves Fair, Fsmash, and Dsmash. Occasionally you will get killed by a bair or a uair. If you get killed by a dair its your fault. You fell for the gimp and messed up. His ways to lead up to these attacks are through bananas and when you are landing. When ever you land try to hit z so you can catch any banana’s that are right below you(not behind snake). Learn to SDI the fsmash. You want to SDI the Fsmash to the side that you are closest to(IE if you are right next to Diddy SDI behind Diddy, if you are on the other side SDI away). Dsmash you want to DI straight up, same with Fair.

Stages to choose against Diddys. The main thing you want are platforms. Lots of platforms.

I hope to random down to Battlefield as my first stage. However, I feel that BF is Snakes best stage against Diddy. The three platforms and small stage space make banana’s not as useful. You can kill at early percentages by getting Diddy on the platforms. The platforms also get in the way of bananas.

The next stage I would choose is either Halberd, Frigate, or Castle Siege.
You are going to get Counterpicked to Smashville if Diddy doesn’t win on it.
I have to disagree greatly with BF being a good CP Vs Diddy. Maybe low level Diddys, but high to top level Diddys that are skilled with Z-catch to instant throw have no problems banana locking you with platforms in the way. See: ADHD. I did forget about Frigate though, that may be a great second CP to Halberd. The problem with CPing Diddy is most of Snakes CP also benefit Diddy, as well as all of Diddy's bad stages are tricky for Snake too.
bf doesnt work so well. his insta-throws work too well, and snake's insta-throws (espc from a sh) suck.

this is my most played mu (my brother is the best player diddy in australia, and im the best snake here, so yeah) so ive got a fair bit to say.

just to clear it up from the get go, this mu is even, but stage dependent. gl winning on sv or fd, they're **** near impossible. as has been stated, take him to frigate/halberd, but i think lylat screws with his bananas and recovery enough to make it my counter of choice.

anyway, i split this mu up into percent categories:

0-60%
camp your *** off. diddy combos you way too well at low percents. slip on a banana or get hit by a dash attack at this percent and you'll most likely be taking 60% anyway (slight exaggeration, but it's most definitely painful).

60-120%
aggressive snake. actively try to stop him from pulling out bananas. keep the pressure on. ftilt/utilt beat almost everything that he has quite easily, so keep that in mind, and stay at ftilt range. utilt is for the finishing blow (guaranteed at about 125%).

120-death
once again, resume your camping. slipping on a banana can lead you to being comboed to death, so avoid him. run around blowing crap up and giving him chip damage along the way. staying in his face is now too dangerous and not worth it.

that out of the way, in general in this mu, you have to get used to bananas. its that simple really. if you havent had lots of experience with them, you will just outright lose. snake has a large 'slip radius' (a term i coined, basically meaning snake slips on bananas without actually standing on them from quite a distance), and if a hitbox comes in contact with a banana, snake slips (this includes utilt hitting bananas on a platform above you). learn and commit this stuff to memory, get comfortable with it, then practice using bananas yourself. you'll rarely be able to follow up with anything besides a dash attack, because diddy gets up so fast. utilt/ftilt/grab work well if youre close or dropped it from above and you're about to land. muck around with this stuff, get comfortable with it, and practice hard, or you stand no chance at all.

di up out or his dash attack and punish with bair, and it becomes a bad move. di back from jab and punish with ftilt. di up and away from usmash and punish with whatever. this is all very important and stops him from using these moves.

di-ing diddy's fsmash is kinda stupid. the hitbox at the back on the second hit is stupid big. you'll only be able to di through him if you are literally right next to him on the first hit. di-ing up and away works much better much more often.

diddy's fair is broken. it autocancels on sh, very quick, disjointed, little aerial lag, big range. its really stupid. expect him to through it out a lot, espc when he's trying to kill you. if you're using cypher, and he's coming, expect this, and get ready to airdodge. it's an amazing move. seriously.

his other kill move is dsmash. it's actually got a surprising large amount of lag, so you can punish easily on shield. mostly used after a banana trip, though. di up and live forever.

diddy sideB is most easily punished with utilt. pivot grab and ftilt work too but are generally more risky, and i dont recommend them.

diddy's shield is amazing. snake's shield sucks. note a considerable difference when playing. you will never break his shield, and shield poking is a massive rarity. he will poke you very often, and bananas will often trip you over even if you powershield them. although this will rarely happen to him. stupid.

diddy is also much better at insta-throwing than snake too, cause he has more item grab range in the air and throws items faster. keep this in mind, and try to punish obvious banana use with an insta-throw in his face. know snake's limits though.

when recovering, use wavebouncing, reverse nades and the usual, recovering high. if you're caught low, use c4. if he's going for a spike, use uair, it should beat it everytime. diddy sideB is dangerous and has to be carefully avoided.

edgeguarding consists of lots of bair and nades. he will often try to side the ledge, so you can utilt/fsmash if he's high enough, or hog the ledge and drop a bair of a gimp. uair will beat sideB from below, too. leave nades on the stage when going off the ledge; it gives him even less places to go. note that you'll never stage spike him out of his barrels. his hitstun out of it allows him to slide up walls without teching or bouncing off them. stupid. and follow ups are dangerous. do yourself a favour and hit him the other way or with a weak hit of dair. oh, and backwards nades dropped off the edge work well for stopping barrel use from directly below. he really shouldn't be there, though.

as far as stages are concerned, i still believe sv is his best. no room for you to run, and two bananas effectively cover 2/3s of the stage. and platform camping is dangerous because of that broken fair. fd is still bad but at least you have room to move and avoid the bananas. bf is ok, but diddy (if he can insta-catch and throw) is fine with platforms. as i said earlier, go frigate/lylat/halberd.

anyway, if we didn't live for so long, diddy would win this mu quite easily. he just has trouble getting the kill. so even, imo.
-throw the bananas away,
-smash DI the dash attack fast to avoid f-air followup
-shields are ****ing gay in general.... especially powershield gets you punished fast by diddy
-cook grenades when u get the chance
-mind games at all times
for cps against diddy... i dont actually think halberd is that good against him. the stage is too **** small, and its easy for him to sh and grab a nana off the platform, and insta-throw it under the platform, bringing it back into play. not so sure about it anymore.

and frigate... he can push you off the right hand side and fair you to oblivion. sure, snake gives him trouble too, but its a dangerous situation.

so thinking about it, i really dont have a cp against him. i seem to like yi the more i play him on it, even though i really dont think its very good for us. bf works for us, but isnt bad for him at all. i only like the first part of cs against him, cause he can run away during the second, and the third is like fd, but worse (and sliding bananas are broken). delphino could work... i need to try it more.

what do people think of this?

Snake's advantages:
- Hard to KO
- Can kill Diddy early
- Can camp Diddy
- Can use Diddy's nanas to his advantage
- Long ranged attacks with high priority
- Can tech chase fairly well
- Diddy's recovery can be gimped

Diddy's advantages:
- Bananas mess up Snake's ground game and camping
- Strong throws
- Solid meteor smash
- Bananas also help Diddy kill Snake
- Aerial games are better than Snake's
- F-air and b-air may be troublesome
- Solid d-smash

What to do:
Diddy with his trusty side kicks (bananas) are pretty hard to deal with. Bananas distract Snake's camping and ground game and usually whenever Snake shields nanas, it might as well result into Snake sliping giving Diddy the upper hand. His bananas can also clear ways on how to kill Snake such as throwing a nana on then D-smash or F-smash. Also, Diddy can lock Snake with 2 nanas or even 1. Diddy's nanas also form great combos (yes, true combos)

Snake can camp Diddy fairly well but he needs to watch out for Diddy's nanas. Snake needs to keep Diddy's nanas alive and away from Diddy so Diddy won't get a chance to use a banana. When Diddy has one nana available it's okay but when 2 nanas are out then your in for a world of hurt. Snake can tech chase Diddy fairly well but sometimes, nanas might just interupt it. This is how nanas completely distract Snake's game. Snake can solve this by keeping Diddy away from his nanas. Diddy's recovery isn't that good and it can be gimped so take advantage of that.

Overall, the match up is all about camping and being alert. Always keep an eye on Diddy's nanas cause if you don't, then you won't live long. Never go to FD. Diddy's ground game is BETTER than Snake's so stages with a lot of plain ground will be a bit dangerous. You need to know what stage limits Diddy's options. Be careful whenever your throwing nanas on Diddy. Diddy can get it back whenever you do that. Well you can lock him in a banana lock too but still.

Overall ratio:
50:50

Stages:
CP:
Halberd

Ban:
FD

Bizkit047

Smash Lord
Finally, been wanting to see this matchup discussed for a while. I'll try to summarize it best I can. Prepare for yet another long post, which almost seems more of a tutorial than a matchup discussion xd.

Snake basically wins this matchup based on the sole reason that he can't die. Unless you get tricked into a spike or Side B shenanigans, Diddy's ability to kill Snake is very poor. However, what he CAN do is rack up damage VERY quickly, which is what makes the matchup pretty close IMO.

Pros:
Snake can live on average 160%+ in this matchup
Nades screw up Diddy's banana combos and options quite a bit
Snake has nice punish options with bananas
Diddy dies early Vs Snake
Hard for Diddy to CP Snake (yes)
Can outcamp Diddy a little

Cons:
Being up close vs Diddy with bananas is very bad
Diddy does a decent job of punishing Snake off stage, and can gimp well
Fast paced matchup?

Alright, so let's start with the basics. Diddys WILL use bananas against you constantly if they know how to use the char. Diddy without bananas is nothing against Snake. Bananas even the matchup more, and make it dangerous to be close up with Diddy when bananas are around him or in his hand. So this leads to the number one thing in this matchup: LEARN TO USE BANANAS! If you don't learn how to pick them up, or throw them effectively, you'll lose. Just picking them up and throwing them offstage isn't as viable as it seems, since Diddy can pop another two out just as quickly.

For using bananas, a great way to pick them up is to Z-catch them. This is done simply by pressing Z right as Snake's body (the middleish) is touching the banana. You will pick it up with no lag, and can even instant toss it with C-stick directions. This is highly effective. Do NOT pick it up with an aerial in the air. That is a wonderful way to get punished by Diddy. Air dodge picking it up can work too, but not as good. You can even Z-catch them on the ground by pressing it right before landing on it, which is EXTREMELY useful so you don't land and trip on them. Same with bananas on platforms. Jump up and Z-catch them. Again, NEVER do aerials to pick them up with Snake.

Okay so now you know how to pick up bananas, how do you use them? You have quite a few options. You can take the path of throwing them off the stage if you really think that'll stop Diddy from pulling more out fast enough. You can throw them high up in the air to throw Diddy off, or drop it on the ground, or even throw them back at Diddy. But let me state that just wildly throwing bananas at Diddy isn't wise, they expect it just as you should, and will just shield it, then grab it, and throw it back at you. Instead, mix things up. Diddy shielding? Drop the banana and go grab him. MIX things up is what makes it important.

Just for some reference, Snake can do some neato things if a banana trips Diddy. Since Snake is so great at punishing, you can do almost anything you normally would do to punish.

Alright, now just to add more to banana knowledge, Diddy has a hard time comboing you with bananas if there are any nades laying around, or mines even. Nades interrupt him well, so whenever you have distance between you and Diddy, have nades in between too. Diddy can't just toss it and go for a dash attack/grab without blowing up. Dropping nades right next to bananas with Diddy close by is also tricky for Diddy to deal with. He may even pick up the nade by mistake and be open for punishment. If you space away from Diddy's bananas range, you're good. If you're too close, jumping will avoid getting tripped. Just don't ever go for an ftilt or utilt if Diddy is standing holding a banana. That's a free combo.

Moving onto off stage, Diddy can gimp Snake fairly well. But most of his options are easily telegraphed. Diddys options generally are to spike you if you recover low (you will lose your stock 9/10 times), grab release you over the ledge and dtilt your double jump then gimp, Fair you, or Side B you if you Up B a little too close (though this option isn't too smart for Diddy). All of those are easily avoidable by recovering high and up as soon as you can. Only Fair can really snag you, and then you can just DI.

Likewise, Snake can do some nasty things to Diddy over the ledge. Learn Diddy's recovery options. They're not as bad as people make it out to be, but still gimpable. So you knock Diddy off stage, and he either Side B's or Up Bs. If you predict the Side B, you can Bair Diddy out of it, though risky. Up B can be beat by just grabbing the ledge before Diddy does. Sometimes he'll be forced to charge it to land on stage, which is another punish. Don't forget bananas interrupt his Up B too, so you can toss them at him if they're still on stage. Most of the time, Diddy will try to save his Side B for grabbing the ledge then Up B as a failsafe if you grab it. Try to mix up how you edge guard, as you would Falco. If you drop a Bair off stage every time, you're going to get messed up eventually. Also note Diddys tend to charge Up B while still aiming for the edge if you're hanging onto it, simply because they expect you to get off of it once your invincibility frames are up. Keep note of this.

Diddy, like most chars, beats Snake in the air. His Uair, Fair, and Bair are good. Uair juggles, Bair wall of pains a little, and Fair can KO decently. Try not to hang in the air long vs Diddy.

For stages, most people say ban FD. I personally don't think Snake does that bad on FD Vs Diddy, but that's me. I think it's really easy to space away from bananas with nades there. But if you don't ban FD, I honestly don't know what else you would ban Vs Diddy other than SV for similar reasons as FD. As for counterpicking, Halberd can be your best choice due to utilt, but you'd have to be careful of getting naner locked across the large parts of the stage. I've heard Diddy does pretty poorly on Brinstar, and possibly Rainbow Cruise, but Snakes usually don't go there. BF is kind of small making it harder to space away from bananas, though the platforms do provide interruptions of naner locks.

When it comes to killing for Diddy, you can expect Dsmash/Fsmash/Fair and occasionally a Uair KO attempt if high up. Hilariously, they're all fairly weak as far as kill moves go, which is something very bad Vs Snake. If he trips you at high %, expect Dsmash/Fsmash. DI upward to survive. Not much you can do about Uair other than just avoid it. That's about all he's going to do to try to kill you, short of gimping. Fair off stage of course. Snake killing Diddy is not too bad. Utilt KOs pretty well. That's about all you need to kill with. Wait for a trip, then utilt. :)

Some common "combos" for Diddy are, at low %'s they will dash attack to Usmash Snake and try to combo with that. It's a little tricky, but don't fall for it. Predictable banana combos of not top level Diddys are usually glide toss forward, go for the grab or dash attack regardless of whether or not you trip. Dash attack is hard to punish, but not unstoppable. Grab is dodgeable of course. If you see the Diddy having patterns with their bananas, just bait and punish. Nades will screw up glide toss to dash attack Diddys quite a bit. If a banana is thrown at you while shielding and bounces off your shield, you can Z-catch it in the air. But be warned that if Diddy throws it really close he can jump Fair you to punish.

Last, lemme talk about Diddy's Side B. Diddy's LOVE to use this move against opponents who shield too much. Don't stand next to Diddy shielding, you'll just get Side B'd. It also has high priority, apparently, so don't try to beat it with an attack if it's coming towards you. Your best bet is to shield grab it if you're spaced properly. If you're edge guarding Diddy and standing right near the ledge with him hanging onto it, the Diddy will probably try to Side B you. Be aware of it.

Overall, it's a tricky matchup that Snake gets ***** in until you learn how to use bananas and figure out that Diddy has a ridiculous time killing Snake. Diddy with momentum can be overwhelming, but once you hit 60% that momentum can go away and Snake can come back from it. It's hard for me to pin a number on this matchup. It can be anywhere between 50-50 to 60-40 Snake. Because I have yet to play a top level Diddy like ADHD/Gnes/Felix, but at the same time haven't lost to one in a long time, I'm going to say it's 50-50 until I play a top Diddy.

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
Diddy Vs Snake
The main problem Snake players have against Diddy are bananas. The best option of what to do with them is to just throw them off the stage. Don’t lose momentum when doing this though so learn to instant throw from a jump. If he has two bananas out pretend you are trying to time him out. This way one of the bananas will disappear. Some tricks with bananas are; if you are holding a banana you can pull a nade to drop the banana and you can throw nades at bananas to make the nades explode.

Another thing that I see a lot of Snake’s have problems with is the Diddy hump. I try to treat this like a weaker tornado, except it can go through shields if they don’t go for the hit. Your moves that beat it are Utilt, Bair, Pivotgrab, Ftilt, and Dtilt(if they are low enough). If you get hit by the initial grab hitbox they will do their normal hit. Then they will jump up and will either Fair or air dodge if you chase them. Just run up, shield(to avoid the fair.) and grab them as they land.

If you get grabbed by the ledge at a low percent be careful. They will either pummel (in which case you struggle and buffer a jump and airdodge to get back on the stage safely.) or they will throw you and try to gimp you. Either read the attack and buffer a uair before the dair can hit you. However, the safest possible option is to jump away and cypher away from the stage. Then when you are at a high height you b reverse a grenade to get back to the stage safely. However, If you aren’t comfortable with that option jump away and c4 then try to recover a bit higher so you are safe.

When you are recovering, either recover to the ledge or recover high. Avoid doing b grenade reversals when Diddy is directly below you. If he reads it he can throw a banana and blow up the nade and potentially kill you.

Another thing to remember in the match up is that you want to stay in the middle at all times. You don’t want to get grabbed by the edges no matter what. It gives Diddy a lot of time to get bananas and it will get you a large amount of damage.

Diddy is going to be trying to kill you with one of three moves Fair, Fsmash, and Dsmash. Occasionally you will get killed by a bair or a uair. If you get killed by a dair its your fault. You fell for the gimp and messed up. His ways to lead up to these attacks are through bananas and when you are landing. When ever you land try to hit z so you can catch any banana’s that are right below you(not behind snake). Learn to SDI the fsmash. You want to SDI the Fsmash to the side that you are closest to(IE if you are right next to Diddy SDI behind Diddy, if you are on the other side SDI away). Dsmash you want to DI straight up, same with Fair.

Stages to choose against Diddys. The main thing you want are platforms. Lots of platforms.

I hope to random down to Battlefield as my first stage. However, I feel that BF is Snakes best stage against Diddy. The three platforms and small stage space make banana’s not as useful. You can kill at early percentages by getting Diddy on the platforms. The platforms also get in the way of bananas.

The next stage I would choose is either Halberd, Frigate, or Castle Siege.
You are going to get Counterpicked to Smashville if Diddy doesn’t win on it.

etecoon

Smash Hero
I think throwing banana's up and guarding them is a lot better than throwing them off stage, if you toss them he'll just pull more soon after. I'd think frigate should be pretty rape vs diddy, if he ever has to up B from the right side it's pretty abysmal.

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
Thing is you keep pressure on his so that if he does try to spawn a banana he gets punished. It is a sort of baiting tactic.

Bizkit047

Smash Lord
I have to disagree greatly with BF being a good CP Vs Diddy. Maybe low level Diddys, but high to top level Diddys that are skilled with Z-catch to instant throw have no problems banana locking you with platforms in the way. See: ADHD. I did forget about Frigate though, that may be a great second CP to Halberd. The problem with CPing Diddy is most of Snakes CP also benefit Diddy, as well as all of Diddy's bad stages are tricky for Snake too.

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
I've played against a Top Diddy.

etecoon

Smash Hero
I'd have to say I don't see BF being a great CP either. it's not bad as far as a neutral goes but you can def get a more advantageous stage than that

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
bf doesnt work so well. his insta-throws work too well, and snake's insta-throws (espc from a sh) suck.

this is my most played mu (my brother is the best player diddy in australia, and im the best snake here, so yeah) so ive got a fair bit to say.

just to clear it up from the get go, this mu is even, but stage dependent. gl winning on sv or fd, they're **** near impossible. as has been stated, take him to frigate/halberd, but i think lylat screws with his bananas and recovery enough to make it my counter of choice.

anyway, i split this mu up into percent categories:

0-60%
camp your *** off. diddy combos you way too well at low percents. slip on a banana or get hit by a dash attack at this percent and you'll most likely be taking 60% anyway (slight exaggeration, but it's most definitely painful).

60-120%
aggressive snake. actively try to stop him from pulling out bananas. keep the pressure on. ftilt/utilt beat almost everything that he has quite easily, so keep that in mind, and stay at ftilt range. utilt is for the finishing blow (guaranteed at about 125%).

120-death
once again, resume your camping. slipping on a banana can lead you to being comboed to death, so avoid him. run around blowing crap up and giving him chip damage along the way. staying in his face is now too dangerous and not worth it.

that out of the way, in general in this mu, you have to get used to bananas. its that simple really. if you havent had lots of experience with them, you will just outright lose. snake has a large 'slip radius' (a term i coined, basically meaning snake slips on bananas without actually standing on them from quite a distance), and if a hitbox comes in contact with a banana, snake slips (this includes utilt hitting bananas on a platform above you). learn and commit this stuff to memory, get comfortable with it, then practice using bananas yourself. you'll rarely be able to follow up with anything besides a dash attack, because diddy gets up so fast. utilt/ftilt/grab work well if youre close or dropped it from above and you're about to land. muck around with this stuff, get comfortable with it, and practice hard, or you stand no chance at all.

di up out or his dash attack and punish with bair, and it becomes a bad move. di back from jab and punish with ftilt. di up and away from usmash and punish with whatever. this is all very important and stops him from using these moves.

di-ing diddy's fsmash is kinda stupid. the hitbox at the back on the second hit is stupid big. you'll only be able to di through him if you are literally right next to him on the first hit. di-ing up and away works much better much more often.

diddy's fair is broken. it autocancels on sh, very quick, disjointed, little aerial lag, big range. its really stupid. expect him to through it out a lot, espc when he's trying to kill you. if you're using cypher, and he's coming, expect this, and get ready to airdodge. it's an amazing move. seriously.

his other kill move is dsmash. it's actually got a surprising large amount of lag, so you can punish easily on shield. mostly used after a banana trip, though. di up and live forever.

diddy sideB is most easily punished with utilt. pivot grab and ftilt work too but are generally more risky, and i dont recommend them.

diddy's shield is amazing. snake's shield sucks. note a considerable difference when playing. you will never break his shield, and shield poking is a massive rarity. he will poke you very often, and bananas will often trip you over even if you powershield them. although this will rarely happen to him. stupid.

diddy is also much better at insta-throwing than snake too, cause he has more item grab range in the air and throws items faster. keep this in mind, and try to punish obvious banana use with an insta-throw in his face. know snake's limits though.

when recovering, use wavebouncing, reverse nades and the usual, recovering high. if you're caught low, use c4. if he's going for a spike, use uair, it should beat it everytime. diddy sideB is dangerous and has to be carefully avoided.

edgeguarding consists of lots of bair and nades. he will often try to side the ledge, so you can utilt/fsmash if he's high enough, or hog the ledge and drop a bair of a gimp. uair will beat sideB from below, too. leave nades on the stage when going off the ledge; it gives him even less places to go. note that you'll never stage spike him out of his barrels. his hitstun out of it allows him to slide up walls without teching or bouncing off them. stupid. and follow ups are dangerous. do yourself a favour and hit him the other way or with a weak hit of dair. oh, and backwards nades dropped off the edge work well for stopping barrel use from directly below. he really shouldn't be there, though.

as far as stages are concerned, i still believe sv is his best. no room for you to run, and two bananas effectively cover 2/3s of the stage. and platform camping is dangerous because of that broken fair. fd is still bad but at least you have room to move and avoid the bananas. bf is ok, but diddy (if he can insta-catch and throw) is fine with platforms. as i said earlier, go frigate/lylat/halberd.

anyway, if we didn't live for so long, diddy would win this mu quite easily. he just has trouble getting the kill. so even, imo.

ScAtt77

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ScAtt77
I have a few questions about this match-up:

1. When Diddy is recovering below the ledge using up-b while i'm edgehogging him and he waits out the invincibility frames, is it best to drop down and b-air him?

2. Is the best neutral against him Yoshi's Island?

Bizkit047

Smash Lord
I have a few questions about this match-up:

1. When Diddy is recovering below the ledge using up-b while i'm edgehogging him and he waits out the invincibility frames, is it best to drop down and b-air him?

2. Is the best neutral against him Yoshi's Island?
1. You could, but that's risky as always.

2. I would think Lylat, because it's harder for Diddy to aim Up B and Side B for the ledges. Diddy can wall jump, so gimping him is trickier on YI.

napZzz

Smash Hero
theres not much I can really contribute anymore (like every other matchup thread lol) besides that I think its a very close matchup that can go either way depending on the stage. But diddy mains who dont learn the matchup like to cry about it

inb4ADHD

nevershootme

Smash Master
-throw the bananas away,
-smash DI the dash attack fast to avoid f-air followup
-shields are ****ing gay in general.... especially powershield gets you punished fast by diddy
-cook grenades when u get the chance
-mind games at all times

6Mizu

Smash Champion
Somewhere in the SubspaceEmissary(NC, Morrisville)
I just played MU yesterday at a tourney. (It was a friendly)

From what I learned from the MU...Diddy can be annoying, but if you know your Item Techs it's a lot easier. :)

Also, the walls of posts toward the beginning of the thread are good info.

Attila_

BRoomer
for cps against diddy... i dont actually think halberd is that good against him. the stage is too **** small, and its easy for him to sh and grab a nana off the platform, and insta-throw it under the platform, bringing it back into play. not so sure about it anymore.

and frigate... he can push you off the right hand side and fair you to oblivion. sure, snake gives him trouble too, but its a dangerous situation.

so thinking about it, i really dont have a cp against him. i seem to like yi the more i play him on it, even though i really dont think its very good for us. bf works for us, but isnt bad for him at all. i only like the first part of cs against him, cause he can run away during the second, and the third is like fd, but worse (and sliding bananas are broken). delphino could work... i need to try it more.

what do people think of this?

Halberd is okay against Diddy. Maybe slightly for Snake.

Oh and hate Frigate

My favorite CPs against Diddy would be RC. Don't ask why. I just go there against Diddy. BF is also my personal CP but I still need to be careful

Limeee

Smash Champion
FD is a good neutral against diddy kong

i'm not even joking.

i remember talking about it back when people still posted in the back room

Attila_

BRoomer
FD is a good neutral against diddy kong

i'm not even joking.

i remember talking about it back when people still posted in the back room
fd>sv>bf.

true story.

and id still post in the back room if there was something to post about; i never get a proper response from anything i post there.

AllyKnight

Banned via Administration
Instant death. Whenever Diddy tries to recover from under, and you're about to die and hes much lower than you. JUMP if oyu know he'll use his up b, NAIR his up b, what will happen is :

a) you will hit diddy with one of your nair hits (THE LAST ONE ISNT GOOD, only the 3 FIRST) and his up b might hit you which gives you the time to use SAFELY up b and come back.

b) you might die with him, but atleast you'll kill him :D

Attila_

BRoomer
ive actually never thought of that ally. does it work when he's directly below? or do you have to come in from the side?

Attila_

BRoomer
holy **** i just noticed i was using some weird *** words LOL.

anytime, just hit him with a nair, but the lower he is, the more % he dies from being too far to recover
thanks for that ally, ill give it a shot. do you have any vids of yourself doing this against a good diddy?

napZzz

Smash Hero
are nades even all that useful in this matchup? It doesn't really seem like it

clowsui

Smash Legend
@Ally you're going to have to ask Fonz to upload those specifically because he doesn't wanna upload a lot of the vids...they're HORRIBLE quality since they were split between 2-3 compys lol

ErikG

Smash Ace
are nades even all that useful in this matchup? It doesn't really seem like it
Nades are good because if you can place them right before a nana, it messes up Diddy's banana game.

The only bad I noticed is that if you're recovering high and you pull a nade, if he pulls a nana or tosses it into you, there is a good chance that the nade will explode and star KO you early.

Attila_

BRoomer
i find nades useful on fd and sv, but thats it. keep diddy off the ground, forcing an aerial approach OR an approach where he is seperated from his bananas. platforms hinder this playstyle somewhat, though.

Top Bottom