• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Snake Q&A

Status
Not open for further replies.

youngtweety

Smash Cadet
A few people bugged me to put this here, so I will.

Hello guys!

I post here very infrequently, but I skulk around very often. I am a decent smash player. I wouldn't say I am tournament worthy by any means, but I have been beating up my friends since the first smash game. Of course, I know there is room for improvement and I want to play better.

Recently I picked up snake seriously for the first time. I read the snake survival guide and followed links there. I read almost all of the links in the everything you ever needed to know sticky. I can now DACUS, renew my cypher with C4, shield drop nades, and cook grenades to perfection. I know Snakes jabs, tilts, and all.

Even though I know all this stuff, I find myself sitting there in battle not knowing what to do. What should I be doing if my opponent is far away? Near? Being defensive? Offensive? Go through your snake game and tell me what you do and how you react. I have tried watching competition vids but it didn't help much. Give me the analysis of what is happening. Please help.

Thanks guys!
Ytweety

youngtweety

Smash Cadet
how do you snakedash???
Hello, Mr "You have done insufficient research." I could be mean and say to go look it up, it is readily available elsewhere, but I want to be nice and give back to the community, so I won't.

You can DACUS (dash att canceled up smash) by dashing, attacking, and just as the attack begins, perform an up smash. I do this by slamming over on the control stick, pushing down c-stick, and then rapidly pressing up z. It takes some practice to get used to.

See, isn't that much nicer than going thread nazi on me?
It is the lion and the mouse, my friend.
I am sorry, by the way. I am in an eccentric mood, retaliating from a looong day at the college.

Edit:
darg nangit! I thought I pressed edit. Sorry for double posting! Don't hurt me :(

misterpimp5757

Smash Ace
A few people bugged me to put this here, so I will.

Hello guys!

I post here very infrequently, but I skulk around very often. I am a decent smash player. I wouldn't say I am tournament worthy by any means, but I have been beating up my friends since the first smash game. Of course, I know there is room for improvement and I want to play better.

Recently I picked up snake seriously for the first time. I read the snake survival guide and followed links there. I read almost all of the links in the everything you ever needed to know sticky. I can now DACUS, renew my cypher with C4, shield drop nades, and cook grenades to perfection. I know Snakes jabs, tilts, and all.

Even though I know all this stuff, I find myself sitting there in battle not knowing what to do. What should I be doing if my opponent is far away? Near? Being defensive? Offensive? Go through your snake game and tell me what you do and how you react. I have tried watching competition vids but it didn't help much. Give me the analysis of what is happening. Please help.

Thanks guys!
Ytweety
ok youngtweety. i dont know what you mean by "thread nazi" but i just wanted to let you know about the Q&A. you get more than one answer you know (well....most of the time that is) but anyways here we go.

if your opponent is far nades. near? ftilt utilt nades nair. to be defensive nades of course and ftilt. if the opponent is being defensive just throw a bunch of nades at them and they will come to you. if they are offensive just shield drop nades to protect yourself and also dash and shield alot.

i hope i answered some of your questions.

kirbysprite

Smash Cadet
EXACTLY yellowroy!

how do you land all 4 kicks with nair in one jump??? its so hard i cant do it.
You have to full jump to land all kicks with a nair.

So, right when you press Jump, immediately press A, while holding Jump.

For me, I press X, hold it, then press A.

youngtweety

Smash Cadet
You have to full jump to land all kicks with a nair.

So, right when you press Jump, immediately press A, while holding Jump.

For me, I press X, hold it, then press A.
I think he was kidding, TRYING to be funny. =p We made a fractal!
Pimp: Lets put the arguing behind us, k? Whether I was right or not, I was a little crabby earlier. I don't want my few contributions to SB to be negative ones.

8AngeL8

Smash Lord
Hello, Mr "You have done insufficient research." I could be mean and say to go look it up, it is readily available elsewhere, but I want to be nice and give back to the community, so I won't.

You can DACUS (dash att canceled up smash) by dashing, attacking, and just as the attack begins, perform an up smash. I do this by slamming over on the control stick, pushing down c-stick, and then rapidly pressing up z. It takes some practice to get used to.

See, isn't that much nicer than going thread nazi on me?
It is the lion and the mouse, my friend.
I am sorry, by the way. I am in an eccentric mood, retaliating from a looong day at the college.

Edit:
darg nangit! I thought I pressed edit. Sorry for double posting! Don't hurt me :(
If you aren't getting help from watching vids, you're not watching them right. Pay attention to what moves they use at what times. When they're far, when they're close, when they're pressuring, when they're offstage, etc. There's also a lot of practice required. Snake is a fairly high learning curve character, so you're just going to have to practice with him for a while and get used to applying everything he does.

It's not that I can't describe what Snake should do in different situations, but it's pointless. I could go over in minute detail everything that Snake should ever do, but if you aren't practicing it you won't do it in the heat of battle. Not to mention it's so complicated it would take multiple pages of this thread. Just watch vids and pay better attention.

HRNUT (Honey Roasted)

Smash Master
Afro thundah, ALLY, HRNUT, UltimateRazer DSF.........

by the way there is one thing that i wanted to know, when your falling as snake how do you change the momentum to the opposite direction with the grenades or c4??

Kirk

Smash Champion
B-reversal.

Press B(or Down B) Then IMMEDIATELY press your control stick in the opposite direction you are facing/drifting or w/e. That's how you get the immediate change in your horizontal momentum.

/randombrowsing

napZzz

Smash Hero
so theres somethign I've always wondered..

With jab-ftilt do I have to crouch to cancel the jab? Or just ftilt as soon as jab animation is over..I never really figured it out ._. I just jab grab if people catch on to jab ftilt and switch that up..

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
I have never canceled the jab by crouching. You just have to know exactly when the jab animation ends and allows you to ftilt. I have the timing down perfectly, and now if I get a jab in it means an automatic ftilt for me.

From what I heard, crouch canceling for faster release of the jab does not exist in brawl for any character. It is simply a timing thing to know when the animation ends to input the next command for fastest results, so I heard...

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
You can cancel jabs with a crouch. I'm not sure who's you can, but I know you can cancel Ike's and Snake's with a crouch for sure. I'm guessing everyone with a multi-part jab you can cancel? I don't know.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Just wondering if this is already known by the Snake boards: There is a funky glitch with Snake's Down Smash and Ike's QD. I'm not positive on the timing, but if you plant a Dsmash mine while Ike is moving forward due to QD, he will swing in mid flight, as if he hit something. If he's stupid enough to be using this off stage, he's going to fall to his death. Doesn't mater where Ike and Snake are, only thing that maters is the timing.

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
It's too hard to do by myself. *sigh* I'll have to wait till my roommate gets back.

A vid would be cool if you can find one.

Browny

Smash Hater
So i was watching some of me and my brothers tourney vids and i noticed whenever we grenade countered an attack, the damage each character received was different. Does grenades have an AoE effect where they do more damage the closer to the character when they explode, do they damage more if snake is holding it while it blows up (as oppose to shield dropping it) or is there 2 different stale move counters for damaging snake and the enemy?

choice_brawler

Smash Journeyman
So i was watching some of me and my brothers tourney vids and i noticed whenever we grenade countered an attack, the damage each character received was different. Does grenades have an AoE effect where they do more damage the closer to the character when they explode, do they damage more if snake is holding it while it blows up (as oppose to shield dropping it) or is there 2 different stale move counters for damaging snake and the enemy?
Grenade counter as in, getting hit while holding a grenade? Snake takes dmg from both the attack and the grenade. I dont think it has multiple hitboxes. Does snake ever take less damage than his opponent?

Browny

Smash Hater
oh yeah lol... didnt even think about that :p im so used to shield dropping greandes, the one time i used them in midair to counter MK uair spam i forgot the attack hits. thanks

spudzalot

Smash Journeyman
Ok, I cannot B-reversal with Snake to save my life. The most I have done is two in a row but doing it consistently seems to be impossible. Does anyone have any tips on how to work on this?

Black_Heretic

Smash Lord
Wow, at first I thought choice brawler was da K.I.D. Crazy mindgames.
lol I did too

the mindgames are too good

Ok, I cannot B-reversal with Snake to save my life. The most I have done is two in a row but doing it consistently seems to be impossible. Does anyone have any tips on how to work on this?
hit B (or downB) and back immediately after

thats it really, just practice to get the timing down =/

misterpimp5757

Smash Ace
which would be a better edge guard?

fully charged mortar or a nade thrown up and shield drop nade to make it fall down?

to edge guard i use a fully charged mortar (by snakedashing) then i do a light tossed nade and then i back up and shield drop a nade. is that good?

please do direct me to a BS sticky thread about edge guarding. i know that they are there but its 2:52AM and i dont have time for that.

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
I can show you the timing at the next tourney or smashfest we're both at. IMO it's a lot easier to get something down when you can actually see it done, not just read about how to do it.

@ misterpimp- It all really depends on which character you're fighting and they're play style. And normally when I use the grenades instead of the mortar, I throw the grenade down, not up, and then shield drop a second one when it's at the peak. This will cause a sort of "wall" of explosions if you time it right. Then you can either edge hog and force them into the explosion, or if you know they're going to try and go over it then just run back and punish them when they land.

hdrevolution123

Smash Ace
So who's the presumable best Snake player in the world? Is it Ally? Havokk? You? Do you know who it might be determined from greatest skill or higher ranking in ladders or by how many tournaments the best player has won?

Tero.

Smash Champion
So who's the presumable best Snake player in the world? Is it Ally? Havokk? You? Do you know who it might be determined from greatest skill or higher ranking in ladders or by how many tournaments the best player has won?
Ally.

10Allys

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom