• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Snake Q&A

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taeran

Smash Journeyman
Always MK...

Except when it isn't.

I, personally, have absolutely no idea.

-Ran

Smash Master
Snake has Great stage control, and thus needs someone to compliment him off game. During a teams contest, Snake is at his best when he's at the center of the stage. Your goal is to control the momentum of the match and keep the enemies separate from each other., while producing kill moves.

Meta knight - Gimping.
Mario - Up Tilt combo early can get 50% on an opponent, and Mario has some of the best edge guarding in the game.
Luigi - With a Luigi that's capable of Power Shield or Jab cancel into Up B, three Tilts from Snake and you have a kill on almost everyone.
Kirby - Once again, great off stage game and damage racking.
Game and Watch - Great team partner for -anyone.-
Rob - Gimping and stage control, Snake fills the hole of the killer of the team.

You want to avoid teaming with characters with large hit boxes, and poor offstage games when you're playing Snake. They are going to get hit by grenades, or they will just mirror Snake to the point that it becomes 1 vs 1. Speaking of Which, Snake + Snake isn't a good team. Too many grenades going off hampers the efficiency of both players.

IxxI

Smash Fence
Why do I see a lot of snake's dash and shield a lot? I've always thought for spacing, am I wrong?

SuSa

Banned via Administration
Shield -

To shield drop grenades, shield approaching (Dash > Shield gives a small slide, and is a pretty safe approach)

Dash-

1. They are Ally
2. They are ******** if they are not Ally
3. To Shield Dash (mentioned above)

Dash > Shield > Dash > Shield = Shield Dashing (lol ******** name imo)

-Ran

Smash Master
Why do I see a lot of snake's dash and shield a lot? I've always thought for spacing, am I wrong?
Most of the time when Snake is having to approach someone, it's because they have a better projectile. The Shield is typically done as an attempt to predict the incoming projectile and get a power shield in, or at least block it completely if they fail to do it. The reason that you see it sooo much is the fact when you Dash, you cannot block for the first few frames, and thus many individuals use this time to actually attack you. So, since you're anticipating the attack, you shield, and since Snake has great out of shield options, you are at an advantage.

-Ran

Smash Master
Immediately upon hitting jump hit your attack button. You'll do a full nair, but you WILL have landing lag. Only when you jump twice do you remove the landing lag. [due to the added height.]

You ledge grab by running off of the edge and doing a quarter-circle back on your stick during a fast fall. Snake is one of the harder characters to do it with, due to having poor aerial movement.

IxxI

Smash Fence
Hey how do you perfectly full hop nair and how do you perfectly run off to the ledge fast?
Press your jump button and your attack button at the same time. For me I use A and X at the same time.

As for the ledge, get above the ledge and perform a really fast half circle downwarrd and towards the stage with your control stick. For example, if your on the right ledge of the stage you will start your half circle to the right, and end with it facing left. And the left is just the opposite. Left, then moves to right. Remember its half a circle, 180 degrees.

yellowroy

Smash Ace
**** I never would've guessed about the half circle, and I do my Nairs that way but I died because I spaced Nair bad and SD'ed. Thanks!

SuSa

If you double-jump an nair, fall off stage, you should be able to up-B, C4 recover, up-B and live.

Unless you are playing on a banned stage.... or was on Yoshi Island (Brawl) those 2 little platforms on either side, and while it was doing down about half-way down you started your Nair. xD

IxxI

Smash Fence
**** I never would've guessed about the half circle, and I do my Nairs that way but I died because I spaced Nair bad and SD'ed. Thanks!
lol nair SD'd happen once in a while. It sucks bawlz. So do fairs. One time I camped on the edge in the beginning of a match and did nothing. My opponent was a pikachu and I tried to Ftilt, but he did his AAA jab whatever thing. and I fell of the edge and did a fair to my death.
=[

yellowroy

Smash Ace
If you double-jump an nair, fall off stage, you should be able to up-B, C4 recover, up-B and live.

Unless you are playing on a banned stage.... or was on Yoshi Island (Brawl) those 2 little platforms on either side, and while it was doing down about half-way down you started your Nair. xD
Exactly! It was Yoshi's Island (Barlw) lol I hated that he bragged after.

DUB

Smash Lord
I might drop Snake as my secondary and pick up MK. The only thing stopping me is 2v2.

I know Snake is a monster in teams, but honestly, is MK better or about the same?

Azgner

Smash Apprentice
I've seen CPU's use their second jump after the cypher. Just wondering how they did it. And no, they were not footstooled.

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
Snake has Great stage control, and thus needs someone to compliment him off game. During a teams contest, Snake is at his best when he's at the center of the stage. Your goal is to control the momentum of the match and keep the enemies separate from each other., while producing kill moves.

Meta knight - Gimping.
Mario - Up Tilt combo early can get 50% on an opponent, and Mario has some of the best edge guarding in the game.
Luigi - With a Luigi that's capable of Power Shield or Jab cancel into Up B, three Tilts from Snake and you have a kill on almost everyone.
Kirby - Once again, great off stage game and damage racking.
Game and Watch - Great team partner for -anyone.-
Rob - Gimping and stage control, Snake fills the hole of the killer of the team.

You want to avoid teaming with characters with large hit boxes, and poor offstage games when you're playing Snake. They are going to get hit by grenades, or they will just mirror Snake to the point that it becomes 1 vs 1. Speaking of Which, Snake + Snake isn't a good team. Too many grenades going off hampers the efficiency of both players.
snake and lugi would be so good lol.
thanks for that info, I did play with a rob once and we worked together pretty well.

Lawlmahbawls

Smash Journeyman
I somehow won a doubles tourney with Snake/Oli. We discovered that was NOT a good choice. <___< We're going to try out Snake/Toon Link next, any opinions on that?

Panix

Smash Ace
try snake and meta, I think even though they both rule 1v1 pretty well, together metaknight could make up for snakes lack of a air game and enemy control, and metaknight for his average ground game.

stnapknah

Smash Journeyman
Hey, I've been lurking on this board for a few days now lol
I picked up Snake when I was playing a few friends and doing doubles... G&W was on their team and I figured Snake would be able to take care of him pretty well. My partner was R.O.B. and we were doing great until they went all gay on us and started doing team double MK lol...
Anyway snake + ROB is good and as someone said earlier, 2 snakes aren't that great.
In fact, if you are fighting an MK, Snake + olimar works pretty well since olimar keeps up pretty **** well with MK and doesn't get gimped TOO often. Plus, you can rescue him by delivering a nice d-tilt to any jack@**es who hog the ledge and you can both kill MK before 100%.

yellowroy

Smash Ace
What's the best way to go down on the air (not di'ing)

Like what I mean is how do you stop yourself from getting juggled.

B Reversal's maybe?

Nic64

Smash Lord
b reversals dropping C4 as an obstacle air dodging and aerial attacks...none of snakes options are guaranteed to get you out of trouble you basically just have to try and be unpredictable as to how you'll try to get to the ground

SuSa

@yellowroy

B-reversing c4/grenades/nikita (preferably NOT the nikita...)
Not b-reversing them (if you almost always b-reverse, just suddenly stop to avoid being predictable
Double b-reverse from (really) high up. B-reverse short toss a 'nade, then b-reverse a c4
B-reverse c4 > explode c4
If opponent is on the same level as you, do a bair
If opponent is slightly in front of you and jumping, do an nair and try to time the 4th hit

basically what nic said as well... don't be predictable, because you're screwed pretty much xD

indianunit

Smash Journeyman
Why is snake such a good doubles partner? Isn't his nades and c4's and mines bad against you're own teammates?

And while I'm here, who has the advantage on battlefield? Snake or marth?

SuSa

Why is snake such a good doubles partner? Isn't his nades and c4's and mines bad against you're own teammates?

And while I'm here, who has the advantage on battlefield? Snake or marth?
Snake, more room to camp. Marth does better on BF and Smashville I've noticed.

He's a great doubles partner because

1. He doesn't really use grenades in doubles unless they are cooked and thrown at an opponent.
2. He doesn't really use mines in doubles (until 2vs1)
3. He controls C4, and therefore shouldn't be blowing up his partner (unless they do the whole "stick your teammate and run into the enemy without them noticing" thing)
4. He KO's at really low %'s, does well 1vs1 and 2vs1 due to explosives and longibility (how long he lives)
5. He's a life tank (takes a while to die, sort of goes with the second part of 4)
6. He does something few others do. TOTALLY DOMINATES THE GROUND. Therefore he partners well with those who TOTALLY DOMINATE THE AIR (G&W, Metaknight, etc.)

indianunit

Smash Journeyman
thanks now i understand

so marth is better on battlefield and snake is just a beast period (well I already knew THAT!!!)

SuSa

How does the DACUS work? Is it possible to DAC into any other moves?
It's called DACUS for a reason, only upsmash.

It works by canceling the momentum from your dash attack, and adding it onto the upsmash momentum, it also has to do with character traction. (Lower traction is generally bad, so thats why Luigi/IC/Lucas/Falcon have horrid DACUS)

I'm going to contact Taeran about adding a FAQ for this soon....

Run > Dash Attack (Preferably down c-stick) > Up Smash (preferably up+Z or up+A depending which character)

Squirtle has his own form of DAC called Hydroplaning, he is the only character that can "DAC" (not really dash attack canceling..) an fsmash/dsmash

Face124

Smash Ace
Edinburgh. Pm for a Brawl and I'll get back to you
It's called DACUS for a reason, only upsmash.

It works by canceling the momentum from your dash attack, and adding it onto the upsmash momentum, it also has to do with character traction. (Lower traction is generally bad, so thats why Luigi/IC/Lucas/Falcon have horrid DACUS)

I'm going to contact Taeran about adding a FAQ for this soon....

Run > Dash Attack (Preferably down c-stick) > Up Smash (preferably up+Z or up+A depending which character)

Squirtle has his own form of DAC called Hydroplaning, he is the only character that can "DAC" (not really dash attack canceling..) an fsmash/dsmash
Thanks very much. But, how does it actually happen? like, how can the DA be cancelled, and why only into an upsmash?

SuSa

Thanks very much. But, how does it actually happen? like, how can the DA be cancelled, and why only into an upsmash?
Because while running the only smash allowed is the upsmash.

During the beginning frames of a dash attack, you are still considered "dashing" (hence why I've noticed the slower dash attack hitbox frames come out, the easier it is to DAC with that character.
Sheik is so hard to DACUS with because of her extremely quick dash attack, whereas Snake is relatively slow.

Since there is no hitbox, it treats your dash attack as a dash still, therefore if you upsmash (the only smash you are allowed to do doing a dash), it cancels your dash attack into the upsmash.

It's a glitch, because I doubt they meant for people "to be that fast", but I consider it an exploit of Brawl's ****ty system.

Face124

Smash Ace
Edinburgh. Pm for a Brawl and I'll get back to you
Because while running the only smash allowed is the upsmash.

During the beginning frames of a dash attack, you are still considered "dashing" (hence why I've noticed the slower dash attack hitbox frames come out, the easier it is to DAC with that character.
Sheik is so hard to DACUS with because of her extremely quick dash attack, whereas Snake is relatively slow.

Since there is no hitbox, it treats your dash attack as a dash still, therefore if you upsmash (the only smash you are allowed to do doing a dash), it cancels your dash attack into the upsmash.

It's a glitch, because I doubt they meant for people "to be that fast", but I consider it an exploit of Brawl's ****ty system.
Why only smashes? Could you do it with a grab since you can do that out of a dash?

Black_Heretic

Smash Lord
Why only smashes? Could you do it with a grab since you can do that out of a dash?
yup, its called boost grabbing
- Boosting Technique: Grab Boosting
How to Perform: Initiate a dash attack by pressing the c-stick down, then press Grab during the dash attack's opening frames.
Effect: The added momentum of the cancelled dash attack remains in effect, providing a small boost to the Dash Grab's range.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom