• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Snake Q&A

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cnake23

Smash Rookie
I have a question about shield techniques. I keep hearing about power shielding and perfect shielding. Could someone explain this technique to me? i searched the forum but i just didn't find anything concrete on this. Mainly i want to use it in conjunction with the c4 and basically improve my defense in general. :mad:

-Ran

Smash Master
Power and Perfect shielding are the same thing. It occurs when you press shield to intercept an attack prior to it hitting your character. When you perfect shield, you get a distinct noise. During this time, you're able to input an attack which will come out much faster than usual due to essentially no shield lag. Furthermore, your shield will not depreciate in size.

-Ran

Smash Master
Grenades. Make them approach you. You don't want to approach Olimar, he's too annoying. It also helps to know which one of his Pikmin is up next, so you can judge what his Smash/throw range is going to be. Obviously, save your U-Tilt for the kill. Olimar rolls relatively slow out of a down throw, so you can gain a lot of percent through that tech chase.

SuSa

Banned via Administration
Grenades. Make them approach you. You don't want to approach Olimar, he's too annoying. It also helps to know which one of his Pikmin is up next, so you can judge what his Smash/throw range is going to be. Obviously, save your U-Tilt for the kill. Olimar rolls relatively slow out of a down throw, so you can gain a lot of percent through that tech chase.
lol your funny... thinking you can outcamp an Olimar :laugh:

Cnake23

Smash Rookie
Power and Perfect shielding are the same thing. It occurs when you press shield to intercept an attack prior to it hitting your character. When you perfect shield, you get a distinct noise. During this time, you're able to input an attack which will come out much faster than usual due to essentially no shield lag. Furthermore, your shield will not depreciate in size.
thx.... i'll try out that technique and listen for the sound in practice mode.

-Ran

Smash Master
lol your funny... thinking you can outcamp an Olimar :laugh:
Only the white Pikmin fly further than a grenade. They are also the easiest the kill, and so if you're littering the stage with explosives, they'll most likely die en route. Jab also works wonders on them, if I recall correct.

Taeran

Smash Journeyman
Outcamping Olimar is hard, but not undoable.

Try to Camp at very long distance with nikita, while the Olimars just freaking out.

abit_rusty

Smash Lord
NNID
Rontuaru
3DS FC
2895-8974-0662
Outcamping Olimar is hard, but not undoable.

Try to Camp at very long distance with nikita, while the Olimars just freaking out.
IMO Nikita is a bad choice. Bit too slow, leaves you vulnerable to a quick rush by Oli. I think that just cooking nades and dealing with a little pikmin cling damage here and there is more viable. Plus it's not like the pikmin are killing you, even the nasty white ones. Just hit them off now and then if needed and crouch to avoid the brunt of the spam.

Personally, if I choose to camp, I usually camp against an Olimar when I have the lead, especially by a stock. If he wants to tie it up, he'll have to approach, so you just predict, punish/evade, continue camping until you get as much damage as possible before you kick the bucket.

Taeran

Smash Journeyman
IMO Nikita is a bad choice. Bit too slow, leaves you vulnerable to a quick rush by Oli. I think that just cooking nades and dealing with a little pikmin cling damage here and there is more viable. Plus it's not like the pikmin are killing you, even the nasty white ones. Just hit them off now and then if needed and crouch to avoid the brunt of the spam.

Personally, if I choose to camp, I usually camp against an Olimar when I have the lead, especially by a stock. If he wants to tie it up, he'll have to approach, so you just predict, punish/evade, continue camping until you get as much damage as possible before you kick the bucket.
I'm talking about distance that most stages don't have, like even if Oli did rush you, you couls easily cancel it before he got there. It's most to get him in a position where 'nades are viable.

Generally nikita isn't the best option, but...

If you're at that distance you should be setting up proxims/C4, unless you've already laid them.
If you could have multiple C4s/proxims/more then 2 'nades, would snake be God's God tier?

Buuman

Smash Ace
Does anyone know how to do the dash attack fake throw forward but u actually throw it back. Essentially u do a mortar slide with a grenade and u do a fake throw up and throw the nade forward. Anyone know how to throw it back but fake throw forward? Or vice versa?

Taeran

Smash Journeyman
Does anyone know how to do the dash attack fake throw forward but u actually throw it back. Essentially u do a mortar slide with a grenade and u do a fake throw up and throw the nade forward. Anyone know how to throw it back but fake throw forward? Or vice versa?
I believe the motion is the same, but you do it backwards like a normal fake throw back.

You must be D*mn fast to pull it off though.

I'm not totally sure.

cycon365

Smash Apprentice
It also helps to know which one of his Pikmin is up next, so you can judge what his Smash/throw range is going to be.
Also, the properties of pikmin

White: fastest, poison type
Purple: Slowest, Power Type
Blue: Water, normal type, can't drown
Red: Fire, Normal Type, Can't die from fire (i.e. Explosions)
YellowL Electric, Normal Type, Electric resistant

davizinho

Smash Apprentice
Also, the properties of pikmin

White: fastest, poison type
Purple: Slowest, Power Type
Blue: Water, normal type, can't drown
Red: Fire, Normal Type, Can't die from fire (i.e. Explosions)
YellowL Electric, Normal Type, Electric resistant
Adding to this.

White: Easiest to kill, most damage if it clings to you, can't KO for its life
Purple: It hits you back from pikmin throw, range sucks, dthrow is good for KO at high %s, fsmash hits you in a vertical trojectory
Blue: Best pikmin, longer grab range, bthrow is amazing, BEST PIKMIN
Red: best aerial pikmin, no explosion-based move will kill it
Yellow: electric hitstun leads to "combos?", arced pikmin throw

All in all, watch out for the blues. If you're at a high percent and get grabbed by a blue, you're dead.

Taeran

Smash Journeyman
I'm amazed at how much this thread has slowed down after it got stickied.

We should have a sticky about how you should read the god **** stickies.

Wait...

That defeats the purpose!

Off Topic: Do you guys know that the slightly concave bottom of a spoon can act as a straw through a suction effect?

dyip_90

Smash Rookie
Pertaining recovery...

Is there any way to make it..not obvious where Snake will go when he recovers? I was brawling yesterday against my friend's MK and as soon as I recover, he'll grab and throw me back.

Any counters? Grenades? Strats listed in the matchups thread don't really help against this guy.

cycon365

Smash Apprentice
Pertaining recovery...

Is there any way to make it..not obvious where Snake will go when he recovers? I was brawling yesterday against my friend's MK and as soon as I recover, he'll grab and throw me back.

Any counters? Grenades? Strats listed in the matchups thread don't really help against this guy.
If you're nowhere near ground, then you'll have to take it like a man, but if you can make it to the ground, then Bair and Dair are pretty useful, or just a simple airdodge

-Ran

Smash Master
For most people that are new to Smash, tap Off would be the best. For individuals that have already gotten 100% used to having Tap jump on, and are capable of doing their tilts without an issue, it's best to not mess with what has worked for them for a few thousand hours of play time. Personally, I have it tap jump off.

Taeran

Smash Journeyman
Yeah...

I'm going through a "phase" in play where I'm required to change my setup.
Classic
R=Jump
L=Shield
Zr&Zl=Grab
Y=Attack
A=Special
C-Stick=Smashes
Dpad=Taunts

I don't need the buttons X or B because this is the fastest possible combination if I'm to be comfortable.

Don't tell me to set C-Stick to specials because I need that so I can do lagless Dairs easier with Ganon.

Can you cancel the lag in the same method with other chars?
(up on control stick, down on c-stick. I have forgotten the other method because I use that one)

Black_Heretic

Smash Lord
You main ganon now?

Also, his auto canceled dairs works similar with some characters, but I'm too lazy to list them

And don't ask questions about other characters in YOUR Q+A thread silly

Taeran

Smash Journeyman
I main Ganon, Snake, Kirby, Dedede.

It's a question about the game in general and that includes snake.

If you're nowhere near ground, then you'll have to take it like a man, but if you can make it to the ground, then Bair and Dair are pretty useful, or just a simple airdodge
My question was similar about over the stage recovery. So Snakes options really are a dodge, jump/UpB for spacing, or FF Bair for options to get grounded than?

Shadow_of_Link

Smash Apprentice
My question was similar about over the stage recovery. So Snakes options really are a dodge, jump/UpB for spacing, or FF Bair for options to get grounded than?
B-reversed nades and C4's are options too, although I don't find them as useful regular old airdodging.

Taeran

Smash Journeyman
Personally, I'd say Kirby because he covers Falco, D3, and Rob.

He's my second.

Uhh... Ask Sakurai.

Taeran

Smash Journeyman
No, He can't.

Edit: Oops, sorry I guess he can. I just seem to have a easier time with ROB then most Kirbys. Gaw does the same except he covers ROB.

Staco

Smash Champion
You need somebody who covers: DDD, Falco, Rob, Pika.
GaW would be the best option. ;)

Black_Heretic

Smash Lord
what is the best secondary for snake?

and why does the c4 blow snake up even though you stick the other person?
MK or Falco IMO

and if you got blown up, you were either too close to the opponent you were trying to make go boom or you transferred the C4 to yourself (if you touch somebody C4 is stuck to, it sticks to you)

Staco

Smash Champion
Mk and falco aren the best seconds for snake users.
Gaw is better.
If the opponent plays falco it would suck for you, because then you have to do falco ditto and falco is just your secondary.
And mk isnt the best option versus falco and versus ddd.

Black_Heretic

Smash Lord
I was stating my opinion, didn't say it was a fact or anything, I play MK vs Falcos (its gimptastic!) and Falco vs D3

and I'm just terrible with G&W, when I tried to pick him up I just got murdered

just giving other options :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom