• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smashing Grounds to the Future! 3

Tomacawk

Smash Master
I for one, did not take this convo as drama. It seems people can't speak their mind on the internet and be strait-forward without people thinking it is "drama". Maybe next time I sprinkle my post with lol's and happyfaces.

haha
now we're getting somewhere
i style my posts to make myself seem much angrier than i really am generally

i am ruthlessly serious on the internet

you are a stern yet fair poster

ORLY

Smash Master
@Wobbling: I get grabbed all the time and still want to win. I mean, srsly.

If anyone should be outraged over the loss of Brinstar and Cruise, it's me. Everyone knows that **** is my jam. (I cant play a set against Tink or Kels or anyone really without it getting banned.) But hey, if my babies are gonna be taken from me, I'll find new ways to knee stuff.

After all, it's all we Falcons think about. Knees. All the time.

Jayford

Smash Lord

If anyone should be outraged over the loss of Brinstar and Cruise, it's me. Everyone knows that **** is my jam. (I cant play a set against Tink or Kels or anyone really without it getting banned.) But hey, if my babies are gonna be taken from me, I'll find new ways to knee stuff.

Chris is scary on Brinstar =0

sanchaz

Smash Lord
OK, my opinion about stages if anyone cares., this is for only single play!
Brinstar-why the hell is this stage legal, I completely understand why falcon mains cp it, because it ***** spacies, but if a stage is doing more damage to you then your opponent, how do you practice that, does the better player really win?

Rainbow cruise- trying to beat your opponent without the stage moving is hard enough, but for some reason, this stage seems at least more fair for most character matchups, except jigglypuff gets wrecked by fox (lol).

FD- somematchups are stupid here, its only because of chaingrabbing, however if its a marth main vs spacies, spacies should just stike it. ohh, ganon getting wrecked here is pretty funny as well

Pokemon stadium- if you are a peach main here, you will always lose against fox, fox can infinite you against the tree, again, low ceiling, this would be a good/great stage though without the transformations however, transformations make the stage dumb.
NOT A NEUTRAL STAGE SVEET!

Kongo jungle- take out the barrel, good/great stage.

Melee should be a battle against your opponent, NOT AGAINST THE STUPID STAGE.

Top 3 best stages: Dreamland, Battlefield, Yoshi's story.

Jayford

Smash Lord
OK, my opinion about stages if anyone cares., this is for only single play!
Brinstar-why the hell is this stage legal, I completely understand why falcon mains cp it, because it ***** spacies, but if a stage is doing more damage to you then your opponent, how do you practice that, does the better player really win?

Rainbow cruise- trying to beat your opponent without the stage moving is hard enough, but for some reason, this stage seems at least more fair for most character matchups, except jigglypuff gets wrecked by fox (lol).

FD- somematchups are stupid here, its only because of chaingrabbing, however if its a marth main vs spacies, spacies should just stike it. ohh, ganon getting wrecked here is pretty funny as well

Pokemon stadium- if you are a peach main here, you will always lose against fox, fox can infinite you against the tree, again, low ceiling, this would be a good/great stage though without the transformations however, transformations make the stage dumb.
NOT A NEUTRAL STAGE SVEET!

Kongo jungle- take out the barrel, good/great stage.

Melee should be a battle against your opponent, NOT AGAINST THE STUPID STAGE.

Top 3 best stages: Dreamland, Battlefield, Yoshi's story.
So many johns in one post lmao.

Make more stages legal not less. Melee isn't a conventional fighter. Stage knowledge plays an important part in the game.

Dart!

Smash Master

we still haven't done our RC and Brinstar only MM have we? :(

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
I'm not gonna make the ruleset less competitive just because some people think its "boring". As a TO, its my duty to make the ruleset as competitive as possible. At best CP stages don't effect the outcome; at worst, a CP stage changes the outcome of the set. Why even have them there if they are just going to make the outcome based on stages more than it should?

Oro?!

Smash Hero
Get real. Stages affect the outcome of every matchup every set. Smash is non conventional in the fact that we HAVE stages. Even if you play an entire set on Rainbow Cruise or Brinstar, the player and their character that they control have more impact than the stage they played on. The stage just changes the matchup, that is all.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
the stage doesn't simply change the match-up, it limits player strategies regardless of characters. If one player decides to chip damage safely without attacking and the stage gives them a circle to run around, the game play degrades if one player does that. If you don't do that strategy you're playing disadvantaged regardless of what characters are on the screen.

Rat

Smash Lord
I'm not where to post this so I'm putting in this garbage pile.

Teeter Cancelling:
You can cancel pretty much everything with a Teeter. (Is this new? Cause I've never read/seen anything about this. It's largely irrelevant, but still neato.)

Teetering is the animation when your character is right at an edge, and they are like "WOAH YOU ARE RIGHT AT THE EDGE DUDE!!"
You can do any standing move while teetering.

To cancel something with a Teeter:
Have momentum towards an edge (The edge of a platform is fine.)
Be facing that edge.
Not doing a move.
Not Pressing towards the edge. (If you keep holding forward you'll walk off the edge.)

Things you can cancel:
WD (Special Landfall lag)
The stupid Stop Running animation.
"Edgecancel" but into Shield/any standing move. (Normally edgecancelling keeps u in the air.)

Oro?!

Smash Hero
By that reasoning Brinstar is more legal than Dreamland because it's easier to run around in order to avoid everything on Dreamland? Also, running in a circle is beatable lol. This isn't like Hyrule we are talking about.

Edit: I like Rat's approach to this more.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
I'm not where to post this so I'm putting in this garbage pile.

Teeter Cancelling:
You can cancel pretty much everything with a Teeter. (Is this new? Cause I've never read/seen anything about this. It's largely irrelevant, but still neato.)

Teetering is the animation when your character is right at an edge, and they are like "WOAH YOU ARE RIGHT AT THE EDGE DUDE!!"
You can do any standing move while teetering.

To cancel something with a Teeter:
Have momentum towards an edge (The edge of a platform is fine.)
Be facing that edge.
Not doing a move.
Not Pressing towards the edge. (If you keep holding forward you'll walk off the edge.)

Things you can cancel:
WD (Special Landfall lag)
The stupid Stop Running animation.
"Edgecancel" but into Shield/any standing move. (Normally edgecancelling keeps u in the air.)
I actually discovered this in 2007 (i think i was the first? probs not tho). I'm sure not many people know about it still though and congrats on discovering it on ur own. *high five*

By that reasoning Brinstar is more legal than Dreamland because it's easier to run around in order to avoid everything on Dreamland? Also, running in a circle is beatable lol. This isn't like Hyrule we are talking about.

Edit: I like Rat's approach to this more.
the circle was an example. sorry for not specifically addressing brinstar in my post. how about "the lava comes up from the ground and if you don't jump you get hit for massive percent and if your opponent isn't stupid he will kill you".

and brinstar is only less campable than dreamland because the lava comes up and forces you to fight for a chunk of land that even tom hanks would have said "**** it, you can have it wilson".

anything is beatable. fox on hyrule: you shouldn't have gotten lasered right? hide behind that one rock on the right, and force them to at least have 1 conflict, and then win it.

Dart!

Smash Master
What's wrong with having

Neutrals: PS, DL, FD, FoD, BF, YS, DK64
CPs: Brinstar, RC, *maybe a third...plus another ban?*

i'm all for that ^ maybe add in the 2 bans, can't ban 2 neutrals?

Quaz

Smash Master
wow this game is so old

you guys can turn on w/e stage you want. I'll just take advantage of them to my best. I have a fox and I know how to use it (not really, but I WILL)

BigD!!!

Smash Lord
my brother doesnt even play this game, but he challenged me to a shuttle run on fd and totally figured that out and wrecked me like 5 years ago

ORLY

Smash Master
I don't know if this has been addressed, but what's up with the month or so of inactivity? Putting this on the 18th of December would work, no?

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Alright I will schedule it for then, Juggleguy.

Because of how December is laid out, there will not be a tournament next month. I can't devote very much time to practicing and/or hosting leading up to the weekend of 12/18 because the end of the semester is swiftly approaching and I have a lot of schoolwork to get done. Then the two saturdays after that are Christmas and New Years.
my reasoning, chris

edit- also the GSL finals are on the 18th, i cant miss that shiz

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
hell yeah. jinro is SO SOLID! Him and MarineKing are like yin and yang but both incredible players. I hope they get to play (in the finals).

Dekuschrub

Smash Master
agreed the round of 8 will be sweet. its crazy how good jinro is.. although I think against a crazy macro korean idk if his mechanics can keep up. watchin him play convinces me that if flash played Sc2 he would like never lose. terran is really really good

my own play in Sc2 has suffered greatly of late. 2500 rating to 2300= 20 game losing streak= :'(

BigD!!!

Smash Lord
forgive me if i'm wrong, but couldnt the rest of us who dont care about that thing you guys are talking about just show up at the venue and do a tournament? the only thing that would get in the way is if a student has to sign out the space or something, otherwise it seems like we could just waltz in there with our tv's

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
not sure what youre talking about drew, but yeah you can just show up to CoD and use that space for w/e. I have a pact with the D&D nerds, though, so be careful.

Tink

Smash Hero
yo, they serious business about them pacts!

drew, we should co-to and run this that weekend!

Top Bottom