• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smashing Grounds to the Future! 3

Tink

Smash Hero
i wanna see what i did in losers finals with rat.....noone wants to see themselves playing kelly, unless they win.

also, i have uploaded plenty of vids in the day....and with technology the way it is, i would assume its easier/faster -_-?

also also, i thoughtttt i beat kelly a game atleast...maybe im just mixing up that and WI tourny -_-.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
U took a game off him in WF. I wish that set was recorded instead of GF.

I'm working on the vids right now, they will be uploaded periodically during the week as I get time.

PEEF!

Smash Hero
When is the next one so I can come drink Mikes harder lemonade with Trail?

Also bringing Burnettes Pink Lemonade vodka.

I guess I prefer nana drinks.

sanchaz

Smash Lord
wow, sveet, r u serious for cp's for singles, both brinstar and rainbow cruise are not legit cp's? I approve.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
No I'm a man of experimentation :)

Speaking of which, I am seriously considering changing this ruleset one last time.

Singles Striking Stages:
YS
FoD
BF
PS
DL

CP Stage:
FD

Little England

Smash Master
Purdue, W Lafayette IN Rancho Cucamonga, SoCal
Dude, I can tell you've been in the "Ban RC and Brinstar" thread. Just because they said FD is gay that doesn't mean you should instantly align your rule set to match. Also, swaying the rules makes you seem like a less credible TO. People want consistency. Just cool your jets man.

Having said that I kinda can see FD becoming a CP stage in the future. Hopefully not the near future though. Not enough justification yet imo.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
I think FD is actually the least similar of the 6 "neutrals".

YS BF and DL are all basically the same except for the stage size and blastzone size.

PS is a large stage with close blastzones and FoD is a small stage with far blastzones and both have unique platforms. They compliment each other and the other 3 very well.

FD is a large stage with fairly large blastzones and NO PLATFORMS.

edit- yes i have been in that thread, but i actually banned brinstar and RC before i saw that thread. I may be progressive with my views, but I am not easily persuaded. I make my decisions based on my own judgement not based on what other people say.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
But in terms of striking, it fits perfectly. Exchanging FD with PS balances the strike in literally every match-up. From my experiences marth has an advantage during strikes especially vs spacies due to only having 1 bad stage (DL) in the list. Marth can strike dreamland and BF and force the match-up to FoD, YS or FD depending on which the spacie liked most.

I've done a few other test strikes and i havent ran into any problems.

sheik vs fox
1: PS
2: FoD / YS
1: DL
final- BF

marth vs fox
2: FoD / YS
final- BF

marth vs falco
2: YS / FoD
final- BF

marth vs sheik
1: FoD
2: YS / PS
final- BF

Little England

Smash Master
Ok, you're on a completely different topic of discussion. Now you're talking about changing the stages based off of what YOU think will balance a select few match ups. Good intentions? Perhaps. Your time to "experiment"? No.

And still I wonder where your thought process was when people were playing on Peach's Castle...

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
that was only for teams.... teams is a completely different topic, balance doesn't change based on the terrain as much, its more about room and angles.

Little England

Smash Master
Only for teams...haha dude, that's not the point at all. And besides, that is yet another example of you using your opinion on how different stages affect gameplay to determine rules.

Let's be honest here. Tournaments are for the community. You have full power to control the rules; and cliches, although corny are very true..."with great power comes great responsiblity". Keeping that in mind I ask you this, how much does your opinion matter? Is your opinion valued any more than Sycthe's, Bzoo's, or mine? Probably not. Yet, we're playing to your rules which you have changed so hastily for the past few tournaments. So I say, unless you are a veteran TO, make decisions based on the collective opinion of the community.

I'm just calling you out because I think your constant rule changes are...bs. lawl my opinion

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Lets see... i started hosting smashfests in 2005, i started TOing in 2006, sorta took a break but started running tournaments again in 2008 or 2009. and have hosted somewhere 10-15 tournaments since then, not including the tournaments I helped TO.

In any case, I have put this to a great deal of thought. Its not like I wake up in the morning and go "How shall I **** with the melee scene today!?". It is a no brainer that the neutral stages are more fair, and I think the competition part of the game should be about playing using strategy and skill not learning a stage your character has 70-30 match-ups on. I don't think those stages are unfair or even unfun (hell RC is my FAVORITE stage in the game), I simply think they hurt the competitiveness of the tournament.

Also, weren't you the one who encouraged playing on neutrals because thats what you will learn the most from and that CP stages are just gimmicks?

Rat

Smash Lord

Little England

Smash Master
I'm not sure what those dates and figures are supposed to mean to me. At any rate, I was still under the impression that you are not a well established TO. [See: Prog, Plank, Champ, Juggleguy (at least I get that impression), ChuDat, Alukard, Azn Lep, most of the Genesis, etc etc.] I guess since I'm new to the Midwest, so I wouldn't know. But when I see posts like these...
joe
for the love of god
stop
...you can't really blame me right? People usually trust that that a veteran/established TO knows whats best.

Like I said before, perhaps your intentions are not aligned with your actions. It's hard for somebody not to believe you just wake up one morning and change your mind when the rules have changed so drastically over the course of a few months. I would hope you get my point by now. This isn't about what stages I want. This isn't about what stages you want. What matters is what rules will help the.....

goosefactor

Smash Lord
"Getting better" takes more than repeating the same thing on flat, 3 platform stages for hours. Just because CP stages involve different strategies doesn't mean you shouldn't learn to play on them.
Why does it require neutral stages? If nothing else, a dynamic stage is a better learning environment for spacing than a static one.
I think the competition part of the game should be about playing using strategy and skill not learning a stage your character has 70-30 match-ups on. I simply think they hurt the competitiveness of the tournament.
Loool, whatevs.

Tomacawk

Smash Master
so much stage drama, how lame
my post was largely sarcastic. I don't care what stages are on that much. Stage list will never stop me from attending a tournament, bar some recawkulous rules like hyrule/big blue legal
but as my PREFERENCE more = better
I think people john way too much about character matchups, and it spills over to stages. people saying fox is sooo broken on stadium is an overstatement to me. people talk about this game too in depth with theory...how many foxes seriously counterpick to somewhere like poke floats with the intent to spam you?
i've only seen it once, and that was spamerer vs scar
and i never watched another spamerer video >.>
all of this is obv my opinion

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
I wish there were 20 stages that were based off the general style of the neutrals. Some of the ones they made for brawl are actually really interesting in design.

BigD!!!

Smash Lord
i style my posts to make myself seem much angrier than i really am generally

i am ruthlessly serious on the internet

Top Bottom