• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SmashBoards Creates: The Ultimate Game Collection - Continued

Tomb raider achievements:
1. Raider of the lost secrets: Find all the secret chambers in the game.

Music-heavy game submission:

Parappa the Rapper (Sony Interactive Entertainment/Japan studio)
1683473431031.png

(Release date: 6 December 1996)​
Parappa the Rapper is a rhythm video game developed by Nana-Osha and published by Sony Interactive Entertainment on Playstation back in 1996 in Japan.
The game is about a young pup named Parappa who raps with random people that are featured in this game. The gameplay is about tapping the buttons in the rhythm of the song while Parappa is singing.

This game became a huge success in late 1990's and it's responsible for the start of rhythm games. Heck, DDR, FNF and many rhythm games wouldn't exist if Parappa games never came into existence.

I think it would make sense to include a rhythm game in our game collection, since we haven't got a single one and it wouldn't be a celebration of gaming if we didn't had a rhythm game in the collection.
Plus Parappa had a popularity resurgence recently due to memes based on it.

EDIT: Oh, I got one.
Atmospheric game submission:
BioShock (2K games - 2007)
1683473611272.png
BioShock is a FPS game that was made by 2K Boston (which it later became Irrational games) in 2007. The game takes place in 1960, where Jack discovers the underwater city called "The Rapture", which was built by Andrew Ryan. Jack needs to escape the city from ADAM-obsessed enemies (enemies who want ADAM (genetic material that gives people superpowers)) and Big Daddies (Big people with diver suits and drills) while engaging with the few sane humans that remain and learning of Rapture's past.

Bioshock was considered as one of the greatest games of all time due to having a great story, gameplay, soundtrack and it's visuals that were considered this game as game with "games as an art form" status.

Plus it was a spiritual successor to System Shock game series.

I'm submitting this game because it also relies on atmosphere so much I think.

Last edited:

DragonRobotKing26

Smash Champion
Music-Heavy game: Rhythm Heaven Fever

images (2).jpeg

Rhythm Heaven Fever is a Rhythm game developed by Nintendo SPD and TNX Music Recordings and published by Nintendo,the game is kinda collection of more than 50 rhythm games.

I wanted to submit any Just Dance game or resubmit Guitar Hero or any other Guitar Hero game,but i think a Rhythm Heaven game is fine.

Atmosphere Heavy Game: Limbo

images (3).jpeg

Limbo is a Puzzle-Platform game developed by Playdead and published by Microsoft Game Studios,in the game the player controls a boy that is on a forest in search of his sister.

I wanted to submit Hotline Miami because the game have a 80s aesthetic,but Hotline Miami is focused in story and a little bit of gameplay,another game that i wanted to submit is Machinarium because this game have surrealist painting aesthetic,similar to Hylics,but i had to chose Limbo or Machinarium,Limbo is most known than Machinarium...i guess.

Last edited:

Northsouthmap

Smash Champion
Music-heavy: Guitar Hero II (2006)

It is the second main installment in the Guitar Hero series and is the sequel to 2005's Guitar Hero. Most of the gameplay from the original game remains intact, and provides new modes and note combinations. Since its release, Guitar Hero II has been met with both critical and commercial success, helping the Guitar Hero series become a cultural phenomenon.

Atmospheric: Dark Souls (2011)

Dark Souls has been cited as one of the greatest video games ever made. Critics praised the depth of its combat, intricate level design, and use of flavor text. Its success led to the development of two sequels—Dark Souls II (2014) and Dark Souls III (2016)—while a remastered version was released in 2018.

Last edited:

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord
For the music job, I'll reuse an old submission of an iconic series that kinda deserves a spot just for its unique control style.
I totally get why the Switch doesn't count as a handheld for the purposes of this job but man I use it outside soooo much.

Dance Dance Revolution SuperNova

View attachment 366253

For my arcade game submission, I'm going with the most iconic post-golden age arcade franchise ever. Everyone will immediately recognize the colorful pad of arrows players have to step on in time to dance along to the rhythm of the displayed beat. Not only is this an arcade staple, it's neck and neck with Guitar Hero for being the most successful rhythm game franchise ever. With the light gun shooters and rhythm games like this, one of the biggest draws of arcade games is the unorthodox control setups, something someone could never get with a controller in their hand at home. To represent that in this essential collection, what better than a game played entirely with the feet?

I chose Dance Dance Revolution SuperNova specifically because, even though it's not one of the more iconic early arcade games that I and millions of others have the most hours put into, it was the first game to be released with all features the same on both arcade and on PlayStation. That way, players who don't want to break out the whole mat and do a whole dance can still play to the fullest with their controllers.
And for the atmospheric job, something totally new!

Papers, Please

1683520704984.png

Not all atmospheric stories need to be wordless! Papers, Please has plenty to outright say to the player, and the game itself is all about reading words. Yet I think it still excels in two atmospheres. For one, it's a hectic game. Endlessly replayable but never relenting, it's always challenging the player to perfectly perform their job with zero mistakes in faster and faster times. Plotwise, it creates an oppressive and bleak landscape through its parody of Eastern Bloc life that really fits the monotony of the job.

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
Music Game - Project Diva MegaMix+

200+ Vocaloid songs with fun challenging gameplay, lots of customization & extra challenges.

Atmospheric Game - Madworld

Kind of under the radar pick from platinum, didnt sell well but was a critical success that could use a 2nd breathe of light past the wii.

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
I’ll submit some achivements:

Tomb Raider
1. Raider Extraordinaire: Get all of the collectibles
2. Extreme Raider: Beat every level on Extreme Raider
3. Dive of Faith: Perform a swan dive
4. Lara’s Home: Complete the training level
5. Aureum Lara: Be turned to gold

World of Warcraft
1. Assemble: Form a party
2. First Glorious Victory: Complete a raid
3. Journeying Together: Join a guild
4. Treasure Hunter: Open more than 5 treasure chests
5. Expert At All: Complete a raid in each expansion

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
Here are the options for music and atmospheric games:
PaRappa the Rapper
Vib Ribbon
Dance Dance Revolution SuperNova
Guitar Hero II
Rhythm Heaven Fever
Project Diva MegaMix+

Bioshock
Limbo
Dark Souls
Papers, Please
Madworld

So for both categories please vote for your top three most wanted. Your own submission can’t be in first.
My votes:
1. Vib Ribbon
2. PaRappa
3. DDR

1. Bioshock
2. Dark Souls
3. Papers Please

Submit A Negatively Recieved Game

Not all influential games have the luxury of being good so for this job we’re submitting games that are generally poorly recieved, either at launch or in modern times. Please submit the game and why it should be in this collection.

Submit A Job Category

(Haha get it like Final Fantasy jobs?) Anyways just submit a criteria for a future job you think would be a cool addition. It doesn’t have to be a game job, it can be something else related to the collection as well. We’ll do formal voting to decide which jobs to prioritize but I’ll likely use most of them in the future.

Music games:
1. Guitar Hero II
2. Parappa the Rapper
3. DDR

Atmosphere heavy games:
1. Dark Souls
2. Bioshock
3. Limbo

Bad game submission:
Bubsy 3D (Accolade - 1996)
1684085354788.png

"What could pawssibly go wrong if my game was in this game collection?"
Bubsy 3D is a 3D platformer game made by Eidetic (an American game studio) and published by Accolade for Playstation in november 25, 1996.
The game is about Bubsy, a wise-cracking bobcat who travels to the planet Rayon to stop the alien Woolies, and return safely to Earth.

This game was considered as one of the worst games of all time due to having bad controls, voice acting and environments. This game even destroyed Bubsy's reputation and it caused the series to got on very long hiatus until "Woolies strike back" was released (Although it was bad too, but it wasn't bad as Bubsy 3D). Heck, the game was so bad because the development team didn't knew too much about 3D game technology and this was the result of not being familiar with 3D technology.

I'm nominating Bubsy 3D as a video game known for negative reception because it makes sense to include a Bubsy game in this game collection, since it's known for awful controls, bad environments, and cheesy voice acting like I said earlier. Plus it's considered as one of best candidates for "bad game" in "Ultimate game collection", since it celebrates the history of various games (From the best ones to awful ones).

Criteria submission:
"Submit a flash/browser game for the collection"

You know, we haven't got a flash game in the collection, so it would totally make sense to cover the topic of browser/flash games.
(Although this collection could have some ability to replay the flash games)

(I know it's kinda a reach since Flash doesn't work anymore, but at least a browser game would be really welcome).

Last edited:

DragonRobotKing26

Smash Champion
1. Parappa
2. Guitar Hero 2
3. DDR

1. Dark Souls
2. Papers, Please
3. Limbo

Bad Game:Hong Kong 97 (Wait a minute!,i can submit WHAT?!)

Hong_Kong_97_cover.jpg

(Sigh),where do i start?...Hong Kong 97 is a Shoot Em Up game developed and published by Happysoft,in this game the player controls Chin,that is a martial artist on a handover of hong kong in 1997 that is litteraly the ****ing Jackie Chan on the cutscenes,screen title and the boxart,while this the chineses want to bring back the passed away Deng Xiaoping (um,the game was released on 1995,the story takes place in 1997 and what year Deng Xiaoping passed away?,that's right,it was 1997,Coincidence?)

Hong Kong 97 is the one of worst Super Nintendo games that was made it,the graphics are ugly looking like a photoshop montage very poorly,the controls are weird,the story is very poorly written and the game have just only one song is called "i love beijing tianamen".

(I wait that the game over screen of the game was censored,if you know what i'm said,already know)

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
1. Parappa
2. Guitar Hero 2
3. DDR

1. Dark Souls
2. Papers, Please
3. Limbo

Bad Game:Hong Kong 97 (Wait a minute!,i can submit WHAT?!)

View attachment 372071

(Sigh),where do i start?...Hong Kong 97 is a Shoot Em Up game developed and published by Happysoft,in this game the player controls Chin,that is a martial artist on a handover of hong kong in 1997 that is litteraly the ****ing Jackie Chan on the cutscenes,screen title and the boxart,while this the chineses want to bring back the passed away Deng Xiaoping (um,the game was released on 1995,the story takes place in 1997 and what year Deng Xiaoping passed away?,that's right,it was 1997,Coincidence?)

Hong Kong 97 is the one of worst Super Nintendo games that was made it,the graphics are ugly looking like a photoshop montage very poorly,the controls are weird,the story is very poorly written and the game have just only one song is called "i love beijing tianamen".

(I wait that the game over screen of the game was censored,if you know what i'm said,already know)
Unfortunately I don’t think I can accept Hong Kong 97 because while we have M-rated games, the game’s story could be seen as offensive and disturbing in a way more serious way, especially with its politics. It’s a good submission though, I just should have been more clear about what would be too much to be allowed in this game.

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord
Might have to think about these jobs for longer, but for now...

1. Guitar Hero II
2. PaRappa the Rapper
3. Rhythm Heaven Fever

1. Dark Souls
2. Bioshock
3. Papers, Please

AlteredBeast

Smash Lord
Man, it's been forever since I contributed here but might as well drop another submission.

Negatively Received Game

E.T. the Extra Terrestrial (Atari 2600)

Etvideogamecover.jpg

You know this game as one of the main reasons for the video game crash of 1983. Yes, it's the most iconic Atari game for bad reasons that got lots of its copies buried in a desert. This game should be added to the collection of games as...well, it's one of the most iconic negatively received games in the history of video games. While E.T. was a great movie, this video game was the total opposite.

Criteria Submission:

Not sure if you all did this but:

Submit an edutainment video game.

A big video game genre that gets overlooked a lot. It would be welcome to have a game from that genre in this massive collection of games for sure.

DragonRobotKing26

Smash Champion
Criteria submission:Submit a Game That Was in The Game Awards

yep,this criteria probably can submit a winner or a nominated game on The Game Awards fom any year

Last edited:

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Unfortunately I don’t think I can accept Hong Kong 97 because while we have M-rated games, the game’s story could be seen as offensive and disturbing in a way more serious way, especially with its politics. It’s a good submission though, I just should have been more clear about what would be too much to be allowed in this game.
Yeah the fact that among other things, the game over screen shows an actual dead body proooooooobably makes it a no go

Anyway here's mine:

le bad game: Takeshi's Challenge
Takeshi_no_Chosenjo_boxart (1).png

The year is 1986.

Famicom mania is in full swing. The console has swept Japan and spawned a myriad of iconic games. A generation of Japanese children is hooked on games such as Super Mario Bros. and Dragon Quest. It is in the midst of all this that one man decides to say "**** you" to all that.

That man was one Takeshi Kitano.

Kitano, better known as Beat Takeshi, was a Japanese comedian, host of the infamous gameshow Takeshi's Castle. And it was this man that decided that he wanted to make an anti-video game. A video game that purposefully gave its players the finger. The game literally starts with the words "this game is made by a man who hates video games". That is its mission statement.

So he came over to Taito, one of the hottest JP game makers at the time, and legend has it that one day there was a meeting where he was just drunkenly rattling off ideas for stuff to put in the game and the devs wrote it all down. That shows.

So here we have this game, quite possibly the definitive kusoge. You play as a regular salaryman, and this game goes out of its way to screw you over at every opportunity. Doing karaoke with your dinky-ass Famicom controller to proceed? Yep! Waiting absurdly long amounts of time to complete a task? It's there! A flying minigame where if you go down, you can't go back up? You bet your sweet bippy we have it. Also you can beat your wife and children to death.

This game sold a lot off of name value, naturally, and as such it made that same generation of Japanese children suffer. It went down in history as one of the most infamous kusoge/gag games of all time, and its legend will probably continue to live on.

As such, I personally believe this would be one of the better picks if we're going for a Bad Game pick. I personally feel like it'd be a more interesting pick cause it's not just a regular Bad Game. It's what I talked about earlier: an anti-video game. A ****post in video game form. I think it's a compelling idea to have our massive game collection feature a game that basically mocked the concept of video games itself, so early on in the medium's lifetime too, and went down in infamy for it. "A game made at the height of the Famicom's powers by a Japanese comedian to intentionally be the most ridiculous and infuriating thing ever, that in the process becomes regarded as a sort of ironic satirical masterpiece" is something that I think is just too good to pass up.

As for the job......uhhhhh have we done arcade games yet? If not then yeah that

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
Guitar Hero II
Project Diva
DDR

Paper Please
Madworld
Bioshock

Pac-Man (1982 - Atari 2600)

One of the 1st cases of a bad port, think it would be cool to have have this in addition to classic pacman which we already added so we can really compare & appreciate the 2 in 1 place.

New job - submit a licensed game, nominate a game whos source material originates from another medium.

Last edited:

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
I’ll submit Tomb Raider action figures:
1. Lara Croft
2. Larson
3. Doppelgänger
4. Natla
5. Qualopec

And Dragon Quest achivements:
1. Monsters: Win a battle against each monster in the game
2. A Child’s Toy: Get the water gun
3. Mage Knight: Cast Blazemore as a knight
4. Rise And Grind: Reach level 50 with the hero
5. The Adventure Begins: Reach the main continent

Last edited:

Northsouthmap

Smash Champion
1. Parappa
2. Guitar Hero 2
3. DDR

1. Bioshock
2. Dark Souls
3. Limbo

Superman 64

Critical reviews were extremely negative, panning its unresponsive controls, technical flaws, repetitive gameplay, overuse of distance fog, and poor graphics, as well as calling it one of the worst video games ever made. This game should be in the collection because the game had potential to be good due to it being Superman but failed and deserves a second chance.

New job - Submit a game known for its difficulty

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
Here are the results of the music and atmospheric games:

PaRappa the Rapper 12
Vib Ribbon 3
Dance Dance Revolution SuperNova 5
Guitar Hero II 13
Rhythm Heaven Fever 1
Project Diva MegaMix+ 2

Bioshock 11
Limbo 3
Dark Souls 13
Papers, Please 7
Madworld 2

So Guitar Hero II and Dark Souls will be our next games! Content for both are open.

Here are the options for future jobs and negatively received games:
Flash/browser game ( Tankman from Newgrounds Tankman from Newgrounds )
Edutainment game ( AlteredBeast AlteredBeast )
Game awards ( DragonRobotKing26 DragonRobotKing26 )
Difficult ( Northsouthmap Northsouthmap )

Pac-Man ( nirvanafan nirvanafan )
E.T.: The Extra Terrestrial ( AlteredBeast AlteredBeast )
Takeshi’s Challenge ( Speed Weed Speed Weed )
Crazy Bus ( FazDude FazDude )
Bubsy 3D ( Tankman from Newgrounds Tankman from Newgrounds )
Superman 64 ( Northsouthmap Northsouthmap )

So please vote for your top three most wanted in both categories. My votes:
  1. Flash
  2. Difficult
  3. Edutainment

1. Takeshis Challenge
  2. ET
  3. Bubsy

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
Submit A Game Based On A Hobby

We’ve had a job for sports games and this might be similar to that but this will be for games based on hobbies that aren’t necessarily sports. They can be something like chess that is still considered a sport but isn’t as active or something like drawing or singing. Esports don’t count for this job. And please don’t submit any unrelated game and say “well playing games is my hobby so it counts!”

Submit A Game Based On A Historical Setting
Any game primarily set in a historical setting, preferably before this century, is eligible. It needs to be a real setting but alternate history is fine. So for example your Ghost of Tsushima’s or Sakura Wars’ would be fine.

Historical setting game:
Assassin's Creed II (Ubisoft - France)
1684686708293.png

(The game is set in XVI Venice, Italy - Renessaince period)​
Assassin's Creed II is an action-adventure video game made by french video game studio Ubisoft and released in 2009.
The game is about Desmond Miles, who wants to relive his genetic memories of his ancestor, Ezio Auditore da Firenze who lived in XVI Venice, Italy (during the Renessaince period).
The gameplay focuses on parkouring, stealth and fighting enemies while controling Ezio the assassin. It also focuses on doing tasks and side quests.

AC II was considered as the best Assassin's creed game and even the greatest games of all time due to it's graphics, gameplay and story that gathered many fans and gamers just to play the game.

I'll submit a hobby game later.

Last edited:

DragonRobotKing26

Smash Champion
Hobby Game:Art Academy

ArtAcademyUSBoxart.jpg

Art Academy is an art training software developed by Headstrong Games and published by Nintendo,this "game" is a tutorial for artists that works wery well.

I want to submit Flipnote Studio,but Flipnote is not a game,it's a software.

Historical Setting Game:Red Dead Redemption 2

images (1).jpeg

Red Dead Redemption 2 is an Action-Adventure game developed and published by Rockstar Games,this game is a prequel of Red Dead Redemption and it takes places in 1899-1907 on western united states,and this game the player controls an outlaw cowboy called Arthur Morgan,and then Arthur dies and the player controls John Marston.

I wanted to submit Red Dead Redemption 1,but i think the sequel is better than RDR1

Last edited:

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
My historical setting submission will be Dynasty Warriors 2.

The game that pioneered the Warriors formula and started a massive franchise (technically dynasty warriors on PS1 did but that’s a completely different genre). It might not have aged the best but it’s success and popularity is undeniable.

Duck Hunt

We can’t have super mario bros without Duck Hunt right?Just ignore NES Online. But really, Duck Hunt is one of the most iconic and best selling games out there which has unfortunately been sort of forgotten as of late compared to the other iconic NES game it was sometimes packaged with. Switch’s motion controls and PS4’s gyro could provide a suitable alternative to a light gun. I dunno about the Xbox though lol.

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
Historical - Like a Dragon Inshin (Yakuza)

We already have a series game but this entry utilizes a new engine introduced after Yakzua 0 & is an overall fun idea for a spinoff with a drastically different setting.

Hobby - Story of Seasons: Friends of Mineral Town

This one might be a bit of a stretch but will try anyway. Where the game takes it to the extreme in focusing on the career path, many people do tend to gardens or grow crops on a smaller scale as a hobby.

Northsouthmap

Smash Champion
Hobby: Okami (2006)

This game is based on the hobby of painting, as you use brushstrokes to defeat enemies.

Historical: Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time

This game is set in a kingdom of Persia during the 9th AD. This game should be in our collection because it inspired games like God of War and Assassin's Creed, got a movie adaptation and is waiting for a remake.

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
For Dark Souls and Guitar Hero II I’ll submit some achievements:

1. Knight’s Honor: Aquire all rare items
2. Covenant Uncoverer: Discover every covenant
3. Strongest Weapon: Aquire the strongest version of a weapon
4. Enkindle: Light a bonfire flame
5. Chosen Undead: Beat every hidden boss

1. 100K Club: Get 100,000 points in a song
2. Gear Head: Buy every guitar
3. Musically Inclined: Play every song at least once
4. 200K Pair: Get 200,000 points in a song in Cooperative
5. Extra Credit: View the credits

Edit: Some Dark Souls profiles as well
1. Chosen Undead
2. Solaire
3. Bell Gargoyles
4. Ornstein and Smough
5. Gwyn

Last edited:
Hobby game submission:
Nintendogs (Nintendo)
1684995362211.png
Nintendogs is a real-time pet simulation video game made by Nintendo for Nintendo DS handheld console in April 21, 2005 (Japan release date) and August 22, 2005 (In USA).
Nintendogs's gameplay is about petting a virtual dog and you feed it and play with it. There are races of the dog ranging from Labrador to Shiba Inu in this game.

Nintendogs is considered as one of most selling games for Nintendo DS (the most selling Nintendo console alongside Wii and Switch) and it became a success that this game has spawned sequels, toys and cards.

Despite we have a lot of Nintendo games in this collection, Nintendogs might make sense in this collection at some point, considering that it is one of best selling DS games and it spawned many sequels like I said earlier.

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
Here are the results of the negatively received game voting:
Pac-Man 2
E.T.: The Extra Terrestrial 19
Takeshi’s Challenge 3
Crazy Bus 0
Bubsy 3D 12
Superman 64 6

So E.T.: The Extra Terrestrial will be our next game! Here are also the results of the job voting:

Flash/browser game 15
Edutainment game 13
Game awards 1
Difficult 7

So, our next two jobs will be held tomorrow and they will be a flash/browser game and an edutainment game.

Now here are the options for hobby and history games:
Duck Hunt ( Champion of Hyrule Champion of Hyrule )
PaRappa the Rapper ( Wario Wario Wario Wario Wario Wario )
Okami ( Northsouthmap Northsouthmap )
Nintendogs ( Tankman from Newgrounds Tankman from Newgrounds )
Art Academy ( DragonRobotKing26 DragonRobotKing26 )
Story of Seasons: Friends of Mineral Town ( nirvanafan nirvanafan )

Dynasty Warriors 2 ( Champion of Hyrule Champion of Hyrule )
Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time ( Northsouthmap Northsouthmap )
Assassin’s Creed II ( Tankman from Newgrounds Tankman from Newgrounds )
Red Dead Redemption II ( DragonRobotKing26 DragonRobotKing26 )
Like A Dragon: Ishin! ( nirvanafan nirvanafan )

(I like how every historical game besides prince of persia is either a the second in a franchise or numbered “2”)
Anyways please vote for your top three most wanted for both categories. Your own submission can’t be in first.
My votes:
  1. Okami
  2. PaRappa
  3. Duck Hunt

1. AC2
  2. Red Dead
  3. Dynasty Warriors

Historical setting:
1. Red Dead Redemption 2
2. AC2
3. Dynasty Warriors 2

HM to Prince of Persia.

Hobby:
1. Parappa
2. Duck Hunt
3. Nintendogs

HM to Story of Seasons, Art Academy and Okami.

ET achievements:
I found a lot of secrets:
Find all the easter eggs in the game.
Couldn't phone home: Die in the game.
Extra terrestrial speed: Complete the whole game in quick amout of time.

Last edited:
Top Bottom