• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SmashBoards Creates: Champions of The Domain, a Public Domain Platform Fighter

darkvortex

Smash Champion
Sherlock would have a gimmick similar to Velma in MVS. Clues would appear that he can collect, these clues will allow him to enter "mind palace" mode, where his attacks are stronger. His basic attack consist of boxing and marital arts.

Nutural Special - Shooting
Sherlock will pull out and aim a hunting rifle. He has a few shots before he need to recharge. He can choose where it fires

Side Special - Fencing
Sherlock does a counter with a fencing stick. Based on the fencing scene from Young Sherlock Holmes.

Up Special - Riding Crop
Sherlock swings a riding crop upwards. He can use this to catch and reflect items.

Down Special - Magnifying Glass - Sherlock takes out a magnifying glass, pointing it at the ground and walking forwards. He will follow a trial which leads him to a fighter, who he will then attack.

Super Domain Finale - Hound of the Baskerviles
Sherlock traps his foes inside the mind palace, where the Hound will appear and attack fighters.

Last edited:

Northsouthmap

Smash Champion
Neutral B - Detective Shotgun

This attack is similar to Panty´s Neutral B and Scanty´s Neutral B. Holmes aims an opponent to shot them.

Side B - Hound of Baskerville

Holmes lets the Hound of Baskerville out. The hound starts to bite opponents. The teeth can deal 25 % damage, the claws 50%.

Up B - Riding Crop

Holmes takes out a riding crop to grab opponents and items, like in Frollo´s Up B and Toon Dr. Mario´s Up B.

Down B - Dr. Watson

Holmes calls for Dr. Watson to help him out for battle. Watson uses his rifle gun to shot opponents down.

Super Domain Finale - Sign of Four

Holmes takes the Sign of Four and becomes quadrupated into four Holmes. The clones will attack the opponents to finish them with a light.

Mode Idea: Story Mode
Since most of our characters are from books, it would have storybook style openings and closings.

darkvortex

Smash Champion

This attack is similar to Panty´s Neutral B and Scanty´s Neutral B. Holmes aims an opponent to shot them.

Holmes lets the Hound of Baskerville out. The hound starts to bite opponents. The teeth can deal 25 % damage, the claws 50%.

Up B - Riding Crop

Holmes takes out a riding crop to grab opponents and items, like in Frollo´s Up B and Toon Dr. Mario´s Up B.

Down B - Dr. Watson

Holmes calls for Dr. Watson to help him out for battle. Watson uses his rifle gun to shot opponents down.

Holmes takes the Sign of Four and becomes quadrupated into four Holmes. The clones will attack the opponents to finish them with a light.

Since most of our characters are from books, it would have storybook style openings and closings.
is this taken from somewhere? has references to other characters not in the game

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
Firstly, I apologise for missing the voting period again; my notifications are a little spotty.

Job #07
Before getting into his specials, a quick note on Holmes' fighting style, bartitsu. It's a real-world fighting style that's rather... odd, combining elements of boxing, savate, jujitsu and cane fighting, and first got described in the Holmes mythos in The Adventure of the Empty House as the martial art he used to survive Moriarty's attack on him in the Reichenbach Falls. Hence, Holmes' general fighting style takes inspiration - while his normal look would be in his iconic coat and hat ensemble, he'd fight with punches, kicks, and cane swipes. (I'll get into a certain technique in his specials.)

Neutral Special: Dr. Watson
Holmes kindly asks his friend and biographer John Watson to join him, at which point Watson steps forth from the background with his gun drawn, pointed forward. You can delay the attack by charging it, but it doesn't affect the projectile's attack power. However, when fired, it acts as an incredibly fast (albeit small) projectile - think a little like Joker's special over in Smash. The difference is that Holmes is actually actionable during the move's charge - allowing him to continue to move around freely or even attack while Watson is readying himself. Of course, he loses access to his other special moves while in this state - and Watson can be attacked, making him lose focus and stagger backward.

While Holmes himself has used a gun on two occasions (The Sign of Four and The Hound of the Baskervilles), Watson has used a gun in two more - in The Adventure of the Copper Beeches, and to pistol-whip Colonel Moran in The Adventure of the Empty House. I also felt that including Watson in his moveset would be a great way to showcase their relationship.

Side Special: Handkerchief Toss
Holmes reaches into his pocket and pulls out an embroidered handkerchief which he tosses forward. It's a small and light projectile, which travels in a light arc, but doesn't cover much distance - around a dash length at most - nor does it deal much damage, only a couple of %. The actual use of the attack is mostly to set up given situations and apply close-up pressure - because on hit, the handkerchief momentarily stuns an opponent for about 20 frames, leaving them open to punishes and potential combos. After being tossed, however, you'll need to wait about five seconds to toss another.

This is based on a common element of bartitsu, the tossing of one's hat to disorient an opponent and leave them open to a potential strike. While the tossing of one's hat was far more common in the actual art, my suggestion of a handkerchief takes inspiration from the 2009 Sherlock Holmes film specifically.

Up Special: Riding Crop
Not dissimilar to Darkvortex's and Northsouthmap's suggestions, Holmes pulls out a riding crop and swings it in an upward direction - allowing him to catch items tossed at him while it's active, or reflect projectiles hit by it. In addition, he can use this riding crop to hang from a ledge before pulling himself upward, giving him a few additional mindgames when edgeguarding (but, while hanging, he doesn't have access to ledge invincibility.) The caveat is, of course, the attack's lack of range - it's quite limited as a recovery tool because of this, meaning Holmes is by far at his best with his feet firmly on the ground.

Holmes has used a riding crop (or at least his cane) on several occasions as a weapon, but most prominently, he uses a riding crop to disarm John Clay in The Red-Headed League. This is thought to be a sort of extension of Holmes' bartitsu-based fighting style.

Down Special: Master of Disguise
A counter of sorts wherein Holmes swishes his coat around him and suddenly appears in one of three disguises - either a Sailor, a Priest, or an Old Woman (in order, which loops on use - Sailor > Priest > Old Woman > Sailor, etc.) If attacked in this state, Holmes attacks in return, with slightly different effects depending on the disguise he's currently in.
  • In his Sailor guise (inspired by The Sign of Four), Holmes pulls out his pistol and fires it into the opponent's chest. This has the highest damage, and is inspired by his and Watson's use of pistols to kill the Andaman Islander toward the end of this story.
  • In his Priest guise (inspired by The Adventure of the Final Problem), Holmes (holding a holiday suitcase) tosses the suitcase into the opponent. This has the highest knockback, and is inspired by the use of the priest disguise while aboard a train in order to avoid the clutches of Moriarty.
  • In his Old Woman guise (inspired by The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone), Holmes steps backward and allows a wax figure of himself to topple onto the opponent. This has the highest stun, and is inspired by Holmes' use of a similar wax figure to throw off a would-be gunman in this story.
Once the attack ends, Holmes tosses away the disguise as a set of rags behind him to reveal his ordinary outfit beneath.

Super Domain Finale: Off to Scotland Yard
Holmes calls upon a somewhat... begrudging ally in the form of Inspector Lestrade, who charges forward with a pair of handcuffs in his hand and while spouting his absolute certainty that he's onto something. If Lestrade hits an opponent, he handcuffs them and holds them in place. At that point, a flurry of urchins appear to build up a large jail cell around the prisoner, being the Baker Street Irregulars - though they apparently mess up, as the walls collapse inward and deal massive damage. As Lestrade attempts to scold the Irregulars, they scarper away.

While I think this is a little "two-Flickies"-core, I also think this would probably work rather well. Bear in mind, Holmes is a detective, and with him having solved his fair share of crimes, the ultimate goal of solving a crime is to bring the criminal to justice. Hence, having Holmes' opponent get arrested and effectively thrown into jail works well - plus, the inclusion of one of the most reoccuring characters in the Holmes mythos works rather well here too!

Overall, Holmes' moveset is intended to be cerebral and reactionary - not specifically suited to setting the tone of interactions, but well-suited to putting the pieces in place to respond to situations in a way that's advantageous for him. He might not have the outright physical prowess of some characters, but makes up for this with an admittedly unorthodox, but nonetheless effective, style of combat.

Job #08: I'm going to suggest History Mode, which essentially has a similar concept to Smash's All Star Mode - in which you fight one of every character in the roster in the chronological order of when they were originally created. Characters with similar chronological placements - such as, say, related to Greek mythology, originating from Victorian-era literature, and so forth - are often fought simultaneously.

DragonRobotKing26

Smash Champion

Up B - Riding Crop

Down B - Dr. Watson

What do you mean like Panty and Scanty Neutral B and Frollo and Toon Dr. Mario Up B?

Are you searched on Super Smash Bros Lawl?

MartianSnake

Smash Journeyman

Up B - Riding Crop

Down B - Dr. Watson

I don't think it's the best idea to refer to random fan movesets like everyone knows them

DragonRobotKing26

Smash Champion
Sherlock Moveset: Shooting, Fencing, Riding Crop, Magnifying Glass and Hound of Baskervilles- D darkvortex

Sherlock Moveset: Detective Shotgun, Hound of Baskerville, Riding Crop, Dr. Watson and Sign of Four- Northsouthmap Northsouthmap

Sherlock Moveset: Dr. Watson, Handkerchief Toss, Riding Crop, Master of Desguise and Off to Scotland Yard- KneeOfJustice99 KneeOfJustice99

These are the movesets that we have, that's good enough,and since we have 3,vote 2 of them,and i can let you vote on your own submission in first

1. KneeOfJustice (better references, very explained and the Super Domain Finale have trap/cutscene Final Smash vibes)
2. Darkvortex (a good gimmick who works on Holmes and the moveset is very good)

Story Mode Northsouthmap Northsouthmap
History Mode KneeOfJustice99 KneeOfJustice99

Well that is the modes where we have,since there's 2 options,you can vote just one,and i can let you vote on your own submission...again

My vote will be for History Mode

darkvortex

Smash Champion
1. Knne (this is fantastic)
2. Mine

History
I do think a story mode could work it I wanna wait till we had a a bigger roster and more of an idea of our tone

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
  1. darkvortex (I like the Velma inspirations, and the concept of leaning into his detective nature is pretty fun.)
  2. Self-vote (bias. xd)
Respectfully, while I think elements like the Sign of Four in Northsouthmap's submission are an inspired interpretation, I'd at least have credited the source. Not to sound accusatory or anything, just something I think would be good practice going forward if you're planning to copy stuff over from other places.

Also, I'm gonna say Story Mode because it isn't my submission, but also because it'd be fun. (It'd be nice to cover this when we've filled out our roster.)

DragonRobotKing26

Smash Champion
D darkvortex : 6
KneeOfJustice99 KneeOfJustice99 : 9
Northsouthmap Northsouthmap : 0

The winner is KneeOfJustice99 KneeOfJustice99 's moveset for Sherlock Holmes, congratulations

History Mode: 4
Story Mode: 1

The winner is History Mode,submitted by KneeOfJustice99 KneeOfJustice99 ...again

-----------

Next Job is...

Job 9: Submit Alice's Moveset

It was Holmes' turn,now is Alice's turn,the moveset is the same, 4 Special Attacks (Neutral, Side, Up and Down) and Super Domain Finale

Job 10: Submit an Item

Yes,one thing who rarely is on platform fighter,an item,you will be submit a item for the game,and the item number is 50

Last edited:

Qwerty UIOP

Smash Lord
Michelin Tires(Michelin)

Since their mascot is in the public domain, I might as well submit their tires as an item. They can be thrown at an opponent and roll when they hit the ground.k

Oddball

Smash Lord
Alice's Moves

• Neutral Special: “Tea Time” - Alice throws a scalding cup of tea. If it hits the ground instead of an opponent, It creates a small area effect, dealing damage over time to anyone standing in it.
  • Side Special: “White Rabbit Dash” - Alice rides on the back of the White Rabbit, dashing forward quickly and knocking back any opponents in her path.
  • Up Special: Cheshire Cat Teleport - The Cheshire Cat appears on Alice's shoulder and they teleport to another location.
  • Down Special: “Mirror Shield” - A large mirror appears in from of Alice that reflects projectiles back. Should an opponent touch it, they're direction (and possibly controls) will be flipped for a few seconds.
Final Smash
  • “Mad Tea Party”: Alice summons the Mad Hatter and March Hare for a chaotic tea party, causing massive damage to opponents caught in the area.

Item:

Acme bomb.png
ACME BOMB!

Despite the fuse, the bomb blows up randomly. Sometimes when you hit it, sometimes when you go to pick it up, but rarely when you actually throw it.

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
Job #09: I'm nowhere near as familiar with the Alice mythos as I am the Holmes mythos, but I'll at least suggest it could be fun to have her fight with the Vorpal Sword described in The Jabberwocky.

Job #10:
Item Name: Aaron's Rod
Item Origin: The Torah

A walking stick once used by Aaron, brother of Moses, that is said to reside within the Ark of the Covenant and contain great power (according to the Book of Exodus, the Book of Numbers, and the Epistle to the Hebrews in the New Testament.) When used, it sprouts plants from its top (in reference to Numbers 16-17), and in turn creates a small field of plants and wildflowers around the wielder before being planted into the ground. Anyone who enters this field is slowly healed, akin to the Healing Field.

While religious figures are likely to be frowned upon in a playable role, religious texts such as the Torah and the Bible are a massive element of the public domain that I think would make sense to represent.

Last edited:

DragonRobotKing26

Smash Champion
Job 10: Golden Apple

The Golden Apple is a fruit who is used on greek mythology, this apple as an item is used to be a healing item who heals 100% of damage

DragonRobotKing26

Smash Champion
Michelin Tires ( Qwerty UIOP Qwerty UIOP )
Acme Bomb ( Oddball Oddball )
Aaron's Rod ( KneeOfJustice99 KneeOfJustice99 )
Golden Apple ( DragonRobotKing26 DragonRobotKing26 )

I was waiting more items,but this is okay enough,it's vote time,but this time it's different,you will add Y of yes or N of no,as example:

(A random item): Y
(A random item): N

So let's go

Michelin Tires: N
Acme Bomb: Y
Aaron's Rod: Y
Golden Apple: Y

And a thing that i missed,the Alice's Moveset will be added by Oddball Oddball 's submission

Last edited:

darkvortex

Smash Champion
Michelin Tires: N
Acme Bomb: N
Aaron's Rod: Y
Golden Apple: Y

Last edited:

DragonRobotKing26

Smash Champion
Michelin Tires: 3 No, 2 Yes
Acme Bomb: 2 No, 3 Yes
Aaron's Rod: 1 No, 4 Yes
Golden Apple: 0 No, 5 Yes

the items who are choosed are Acme Bomb, Aaron's Rod and Golden Apple Acme Bomb was Submitted by Oddball Oddball , Aaron's Rod was submitted by KneeOfJustice99 KneeOfJustice99 and Golden Apple was submitted by me, DragonRobotKing26 DragonRobotKing26

--------

Next Job is...

Job 11: Submit Alternate Costumes for Sherlock Holmes and/or Alice

other thing that is important is alternate costumes,the costumes are 10 alternate costumes,and says what are the default and original designs for the fighters

Job 12: Submit Music for The Arena and DomainBot's Lair

yep,this time,you will submit songs for the original stages,who are The Arena,the Battlefield-like stage and DomainBot's Lair,the Final Destination-like stage,the songs are 1 who is main song and 2 who are alternate songs,this songs can be non-video game songs and vocaless

Last edited:

DragonRobotKing26

Smash Champion
i repeat,the next jobs are submit 10 alternate costumes for Sherlock and/or Alice and submit music for the original stages, The Arena and DomainBot's Lair,it's 1 main song and 2 alternate songs

MartianSnake

Smash Journeyman
i repeat,the next jobs are submit 10 alternate costumes for Sherlock and/or Alice and submit music for the original stages, The Arena and DomainBot's Lair,it's 1 main song and 2 alternate songs
It's kinda hard to think up songs for

1. A game focusing on the public domain
2. Stages not based on anything in particular

DragonRobotKing26

Smash Champion
since the Job 11 can continue,and it had a Job skipped,let's go to next job,but Job 11 can still be the same until Oddball finish to submit the alternate costumes for Sherlock

Job 13: Submit a Stage for Robin Hood and/or Hercules

it already was Holmes and Alice's turn to have own home stages,now it's Robin Hood and Hercules' turn to have their own stages,give your idea for stages for them

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
Job 13: Stages
Hercules
ancient-lerna-3.jpg

Lake of Lernia
Taking place at a swamp which Hercules visited while doing his 12 labours, the fighters battle in the murky conditions.

The major stage hazard is the Hydra itself whose nine heads pop out from the water biting at fighters and attacking them.
(Looks like it isn't pleased about these strange people being in its territory...)

Robin Hood
Sherwood_Forest_(9592).jpg

Sherwood Forest
The remnants of an ancient royal forest in Nottinghamshire, England, having a historic association with the legend of Robin Hood.

The fighters battle through the woods on top of a runaway horse carriage hijacked by the Merry Men chased by guards on horses who'll fire arrows at the fighters and carriage.

Last edited:

DragonRobotKing26

Smash Champion
Job 13: Mount Olympus

1721086035815.png

Mount Olympus is a place where is the home for the greek gods and the place where who is Zeus' throne

Mount Olympus as a stage would be similar to Yoshi's Story layout,and the stages have the greek gods as cameos

Nottingham Castle

Nottingham Castle is a place where made part on Robin Hood's story

Nottingham Castle as a stage is a straight field with two platforms

darkvortex

Smash Champion
Sherlock Alts
1. Classic
2. A black suit with a top hat
3. A blue suit
4. A grey jacket with blue scarf
5. American Sherlock
6. Dark suit + Bowler Hat
7. A green shirt + jacket
8. Purple Frock Coat + Bowler hat
9. Future Sherlock
10. Black and white alt

main-qimg-fb2097f4baf033005eb7f23581969bd4-lq.jpeg

Sherwood Forest
A pretty iconic Fight in the middle do the forest non a clearing. A tree may fall on the stage at some point. There are traps set up and a carriage will run through the stage, knocking over fighters. The Merry Mens camp can be seen in the background.

DragonRobotKing26

Smash Champion
The Alice's alternate costumes will be added by Oddball Oddball 's submission

Oddball Oddball
D darkvortex

For Sherlock's alternate costumes,we have two options,and you just vote one

I'll vote on Oddball's Sherlock's costumes

Lake of Lernia ( Mamboo07 Mamboo07 )
Mount Olympus ( DragonRobotKing26 DragonRobotKing26 )

Sherwood Forest (Mamboo) ( Mamboo07 Mamboo07 )
Nottingram Castle ( DragonRobotKing26 DragonRobotKing26 )
Sherwood Forest (Darkvortex) ( D darkvortex )

And for stages,we have 2 for Hercules and 3 for Robin Hood,vote on 1 for Hercules' Stage and 2 for Robin Hood's Stage,and you can vote in your own submission

My vote will be for Mount Olympus

1. Sherwood Forest (Mamboo)
2. Nottingram Castle

Oddball

Smash Lord
Robin Hood Stage
Sherwood Forrest (Mamboo07)

Hercules Stage
Mount Olympus (DragonRobotKing26)

Sherlock Costumes
mine (Oddball)

DragonRobotKing26

Smash Champion
Oddball Oddball 3
D darkvortex 0

the Alternate Costume for Sherlock will be, Oddball Oddball 's pick, and that was a sweep

Sherwood Forest (Mamboo): 6
Nottingram Castle: 3
Sherwood Forest (Darkvoertex): 1

since Darkvortex and Oddball voted just one,i'll count as 2 Points,and Mamboo07 Mamboo07 's Sherwood Forest will be Robin Hood's Stage

Lake of Lernia: 0
Mount Oplympus: 4

Another sweep!, the stage for Hercules will be Mount Olympus, submitted by me DragonRobotKing26 DragonRobotKing26

--------

Next Job is...

Job 14: Submit a Villain Character

it was heroes' turn, now it's the villains' turn, this time, i will submit a public domain villain, show your idea

Job 15: Submit a Non-Fighter Stage

this time for the stage job will be more different, this time you will submit a stage who is not related on the fighters, i want to see the stages ideas that you have

and i'm feeling that this thread is getting weak,even that is just the beginning,so i want to mentioning the guys who came on this thread once or twice or a little bit:

FazDude FazDude
Champion of Hyrule Champion of Hyrule
KneeOfJustice99 KneeOfJustice99
LoZ00 LoZ00
AlteredBeast AlteredBeast
MartianSnake MartianSnake
HyperSomari64 HyperSomari64
Qwerty UIOP Qwerty UIOP
Wario Wario Wario Wario Wario Wario
Northsouthmap Northsouthmap

Last edited:

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Stage: The Warzone

We're probably not gonna touch Bosko for obvious reasons, so this stage - from "Bosko the Doughboy" - is a good way of paying tribute to the black and white Merrie Melodies without getting into risky territory. You can see various animal characters running around in darkly comedic panic, sometimes with goofy injuries, like Swiss cheese holes or bloodless cuts at the waistline. Over time, the animal team will gain a lead, which causes - what else? - random dancing.

I'm not all that interested in creation threads anymore, but I may as well chime in since I was tagged and this is a subject I like.

Last edited:

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
Writing Team
All my villain ideas come from 1800s/early 1900s literature which is a bit overrepresented now IMO so I’ll hold off for a bit until i can think of another one.

Anyways, Skull Island is my stage idea

You’re in a jungle, and occasionally King Kong will appear, slamming his fists down on the stage or grabbing opponents.

Top Bottom