• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SmashBoards Creates: Champions of The Domain, a Public Domain Platform Fighter

darkvortex

Smash Champion
uncle-sam-magazine-cover (1).jpg

Uncle Sam
I considered Abe Lincoln got this but felt weird putting real people in. He'd be used as a sort of spirit of America, with a lot of American themed attacks. The roster is gonna lean heavily British since that's how history works, so I feel this was a good counter.

Last edited:

Northsouthmap

Smash Champion

Popeye the Sailor Man
He's public domain in some parts of the world so he still counts.
He would have a spinach mechanic that if he takes enough damage, he eats some green stuff and buffs his attacks.

Oddball

Smash Lord
When you say literature, I'm going to assume you're not talking about comicbooks.

Daredevil (no. Not the guy you're thinking of.)

4335601-daredevil 1.jpg

Daredevil is a pubic domain superhero created in the 1940s. As he's pubic domain, he still occasionally appears in comics to this day.

As a child, Bart Hill was witness to his parents' brutal murder. The murderer also branded Bart with a hot iron, leaving a boomerang shaped scar of his left chest. This traumatic experience left the boy mute. His origin was eventually retconned and in the comics Hill's parents killed while in Australia. Subsequently, he raised by a tribe of Aborigines, learning how to wield the boomerang. He later returns to the United States and he dons his costume and using his expert marksman skills, he becomes a street vigilante known as the Daredevil. At one point he fought Hitler. Due to rights issues, he's also been known as The Death Defying Devil, The Red Devil, and just The Devil.

In at least one continuity, he might actually be Satan in disguise.

1488048-96.jpg

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
Writing Team
Seymour & Audrey Jr. (Little Shop of Horrors)

First one I’m submitting from the medium of film, specifically the original 60s Little Shop of Horrors which was never copyrighted. rip roger corman.

They would fight with Seymour holding Audrey Jr. in the pot and I imagine as the fight goes on, Audrey could get bigger depending on how much damage they do.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero

Popeye the Sailor Man
He would have a spinach mechanic that if he takes enough damage, he eats some green stuff and buffs his attacks.
Wait what, didn't know that?

Doesn't he become public domain in 2025?

Job 20: King Kong

View attachment 392616

King Kong is a giant gorilla who is debuted by 1933 movie, and he will be same from Cthulhu, a giant but shrunken character
This one is kinda finicky, this version of Kong isn't public domain yet and will be in 2029.

Oddball

Smash Lord
Doesn't he become public domain in 2025?
The character of Popeye entered the public domain in 2009 for every country except the U.S. and even in the U.S. lots of his cartoons are public domain.

This one is kinda finicky, this version of Kong isn't public domain yet and will be in 2029.
The novelization of King Kong is public domain, just not the movie.

TORNADO BUS DRIVER

Smash Lord

Popeye the Sailor Man
could be wrong but isn't it only certain shorts that are public domain? I don't think we could have him eat spinach for instance

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
could be wrong but isn't it only certain shorts that are public domain? I don't think we could have him eat spinach for instance
As of 2024, Thimble Theatre comic strips from 1919 through 1928 have entered the public domain.

In the European Union, Popeye went into the public domain back in 2009.

Popeye first appeared in 1929, that early literation will become public domain in America next year.

Edit: Public domain stuff can be pretty confusing sometimes

Last edited:

DragonRobotKing26

Smash Champion
the Online Mode will be added

Mickey Mouse ( Mamboo07 Mamboo07 )
Uncle Sam ( D darkvortex )
Popeye ( Northsouthmap Northsouthmap )
Daredevil ( Oddball Oddball )
Seymour & Audrey Jr. ( Champion of Hyrule Champion of Hyrule )
King Kong ( DragonRobotKing26 DragonRobotKing26 )

while Felix The Cat?,he will be scrapped,and i'm dumb
but now let's go to the vote,vote on 4 of the characters,your vote can be on 3rd place or 4th place

1. Mickey
2. Popeye
3. Uncle Sam
4. Daredevil

Oddball

Smash Lord
Audrey 2 (Although in the public domain movie, it was actually Audrey Jr., but let's not quibble.)
Uncle Sam
Daredevil
Mickey Mouse

DragonRobotKing26

Smash Champion
Mickey Mouse: 12
Uncle Sam: 11
Popeye: 14
Daredevil: 7
Seymour & Audrey Jr.: 10
King Kong: 5

The first winner is the one who fought against Saitama, and eat spinach, his name is Popeye The Sailor Man...With 14 Points, congratilations Northsouthmap Northsouthmap

And the second winner is the legendary creation of the most famous animator, and from a company who have the other public domain characters (except Sherlock, Dracula and Cthulhu), Mickey Mouse With 12 Points, congratulations Mamboo07 Mamboo07

---------

Next Job is...

Job 22: Submit a Hercules' Moveset

Hercules is the next one to get a moveset,show to me your idea

Job 23: Submit an Original Item

since Smash have original items,it's time for the gane also have their own original items,and you can submit 2 items

Oddball

Smash Lord
Hercules moves

Normal Special: Hercules swings a large Greek pillar like a baseball bat
Up Special; Hercules performs a powerful jump, launching himself high into the air and coming down with a ground-shaking punch.
Down Special: Hercules stomps the ground with both feet, causing a small earthquake around him.
Forward Special: Hercules hurls a massive boulder across the stage, dealing heavy damage to anyone it hits.

Final Smash: Hercules performs a series of heroic feats in rapid succession: he wrestles a lion, slays a hydra, and captures a boar while his opponents get caught between Hercules and his targets.

DragonRobotKing26

Smash Champion
the Item Domain Ball will be added

and Hercules' Moveset,submitted by Oddball Oddball ,will be added too

------

Next Job is...

Job 24: Submit a Collectible Concept

this game is an platform fighter,and it needs a collectible,this job,you need to submit anything for be a collectible,who is trophies or spirits-like from Smash

Job 25: Submit a Character who Will be on Public Domain in The Future

oh,this job will be so special,it's because this job will make so different from this game concept,the job is you will submit a character who is soon to be in public domain or it will be in public domain in the future,if anyone is with difficult,i'm gonna to make some examples:

Bugs Bunny:
Will be on Public Domain in 2033​

Superman:
Will be on Public Domain in 2034​

Spider-Man:
Will be on Public Domain in 2058​

Godzilla:
Will be on Public Domain in 2049​

Batman:
Will Be on Public Domain in 2035​

Betty Boop:
Will be on Public Domain in 2026​

Captain America:
Will be on Public Domain in 2036​

James Bond:
Will Be on Public Domain in 2035 in US​
i just searched a lot about these characters who are known and it would be in public domain

and don't submit Mickey again,who Mickey modern also will be in Public Domain,and the Mickey who is on the roster is composite character for moveset base

and since that i'll make this character Job so special,i will mentioning again the ones who went to this thread

Wario Wario Wario Wario Wario Wario
Champion of Hyrule Champion of Hyrule
AlteredBeast AlteredBeast
LoZ00 LoZ00
D darkvortex
Oddball Oddball
Mamboo07 Mamboo07
KneeOfJustice99 KneeOfJustice99
Northsouthmap Northsouthmap
HyperSomari64 HyperSomari64
MartianSnake MartianSnake
TORNADO BUS DRIVER TORNADO BUS DRIVER

Oddball

Smash Lord
If we're going to do Public Domain in the future, I think we need to limit it to maybe public domain in the next five to ten years tops, but frankly, I'd still rather not. There's a lot of really great public domain characters out there we haven't even touched yet. let's stick with them.

As for collectibles... let's say ... an art gallery. You get to unlock paintings of the cast and other characters.

Last edited:

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
I'm inclined to agree with the general sentiment here. A big part of the appeal of the PD hook is trying to work around the limitations of what exists in PD and come up with creative stuff surrounding that, so just opening it up to allowing basically any character from media runs the risk of basically turning this into Pop Culture Clash 2. (Not that PCC2 would be a bad thing on its own, but I feel like that misses the point of this thread's concept.)

Though, for the collectables, I'd say a neat one could be what I'll call Source Material, which essentially works like Masterpieces in concept - but with the material from which characters or stages originated (and with no time limit), so you can learn more about the characters in the game. Some things are more obvious than others - books like Dracula, A Study in Scarlet and The Call of Cthulhu spring to mind as well as animations like Steamboat Willie, but then you could also delve into things like scans of pottery and mosaics for mythological characters, as well as other media forms like comics, webcomics, newspaper clippings, and so on and so forth. If it's a PD game, may as well take advantage of the PD!

Last edited:

DragonRobotKing26

Smash Champion
I see that the people are criticizing about this character job,i think that i could save this character job who is submit a character who will be on public domain on future for the future or when the roster gets complete and go to the DLC,and this job was planned to be different from some other Public Domain crossover fighting game rosters,and i saw that...i don't know what i could say...

And the collectible concept will be resulted to votes later

Top Bottom