• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
so ZeRo has released his own tier list of what he's seen/played so far

tl;dw Inkling op, Chrom op, K.Rool overrated, poor Little Mac
"Did you do it?"
"Yes." :ultchrom:
"What did it cost?"
"Everything." :ultlittlemac:

D

Deleted member

Anyways, some dude on 4chan made a fake joker leak. Not real obviously but it's pretty funny
*Portrait is just a lowercase j*

*Shadow is completely wrong in proportions*

*Lighting is way off*

*Looks shopped in*

tumblr_m81xk1Peo81r7upre.png

Looks like the creator of the leak shopped in a model rip from Blender. :p

ClaTheBae

Smash Master
I have a feeling his idle animation will be similar to how it is in palaces or when he's in battle, knowing sakurai. He usually stays pretty close to the source material unless it's convenient not to:ultzss:

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
People who complain about human characters in smash really need to look at the amount of MCs in current games that are popular in the industry

Cause not alot of them feature cartoony mascot animal characters like the 90s

sorry to say but thats just how the industry perfers designs these days

NineS

Smash Lord
He has said a lot of things. NineS NineS ?
check it.png

On the topic of 3rd party characters, didn't Nier: Automata's developer say he would do anything for money at one point?
NieR: Automata's director, Yoko Taro, indeed did say he'd do anything for money. Who wouldn't? He has also praised Sakurai, and envies him, and stated that they're actually complete opposites when it comes to the video game market, as stated here. https://kotaku.com/nier-automatas-director-i-might-be-broken-in-some-way-1824147208
Here is what he said:
“Sakurai is more like a Warrior of Light,” Yoko said. “I’m more like a necromancer. So we’re certainly different.” When I asked him to elaborate, he said he was “probably rotten from the core.”
He has also acknowledged the idea of 2B being in Smash in an interview earlier this year, and stated that he "likes the sound of that", but then his self deprecating jokes come out and he says he doesn't know if 2B is good enough of a character for the game, and that he isn't sure if they take characters primarily associated with Sony, but he'd be happy to make any sorts of collaborations.

Yoko Taro, along with the entire team behind NieR, including the Producer, stated they want to get NieR onto the switch, but it might take a while to get it done.

Wait, why were you asking this again? I got too into sharing Yoko Taro lore that I forgot.

Were you trying to see if Yoko Taro would be the kind of guy who'd collab with Nintendo to get 2B into Smash, and NieR onto the switch? Because if so, he's already good friends with Sakurai, likely working on NieR on the switch right now (or so I assume, not a rumor or leak), and is really into collaborating with anyone who approaches him. He also loves money.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Everyone but Joker has some spiky hair sure. But all of their design styles are actually distinct from another. Especially Erdrick as he was designed by Akira Toriyama.

A portion of the Smash fanbase's obsession over "anime swordsmen" and "cartoony characters", aka just reducing characters to just "design style" is really tiring now.
Or maybe we all just have different opinions.

It’s DLC. I chose not to buy the fighter pass since I wasn’t sure if I’d like the characters. Literally all I know of them now is how they look, and I’m not a huge fan. Now does that mean I can’t like them? No, I love playing Ike and Robin, despite them also being in that style, and Link’s been getting more and more so as well. Still, I’m choosing not to spend my money until I see something I do like.

Yes, it’s also bias since I’d like to see something we don’t have in Smash yet. But their look is only a small part of whether or not it’s a good deal. It’s just the only piece we have so far. So until I see some gameplay, characters modelled in a style that’s not my favorite will not inspire me to purchase the pass.

Roberk

Smash Champion
This is my problem with it so far.

I get that Joker/Erdrick/Cloud/Lloyd all come from different JRPG subgenres, but they all have a similar face/body/hair style that’s not my favorite.

I feel like they are different enough to stand out from each other, it's nowhere near as bad as Marth and his descendants/Ike for the average casual. There are legitimate concerns with reaching a wide audience, but at the same time, I wouldn't count Erdrick or Lloyd out simply for being generalized as "too much anime" with Joker.

Last edited:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
he isn't sure if they take characters primarily associated with Sony, but he'd be happy to make any sorts of collaborations.
Cloud and Joker are in, I don't think that's too big of a problem...

Though she does have to deal with a bigger problem, as (correct me if I'm wrong) she hasn't appeared on a Nintendo console at all...
Even Cloud and Joker have appeared on a Nintendo console before their Smash announcements, even if they were in small roles...

In my oppinon. t's less of being associated with Sony that's a problem, and moreso a lack of presence on Nintendo at all

But hopefully, I'm wrong, and 2B manages to get in, regardless

Last edited:

Roberk

Smash Champion
I want to main Richter really bad because I enjoyed Rondo of Blood and I just think he's awesome, but the defensive playstyle makes me feel like an ass. When I was first playing the game with my other heavily invested Smash friend he played a ton of Simon and I hated fighting it, I don't want to be the one doing all of that ****. Maybe it's just the way he plays that always aggravates me, but being on the receiving end of projectiles rotations and fsmashes is not fun when you're just trying to play the game casually.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed

I feel like they are different enough to stand out from each other, it's nowhere near as bad as Marth and his descendants/Ike for the average casual. There are legitimate concerns with reaching a wide audience, but at the same time, I wouldn't count Erdrick or Lloyd out simply for being generalized as "too much anime" with Joker.
Exactly. they all look pretty different and would all PLAY very different. Joker is... well Joker. Using pistols and daggers plus Arsene. Fun fact, Erdrick will be the first non-Link fighter to use a SHEILD with their Sword. I know Link doesn't get much use out of it himself, but that feels important. And Lloyd uses TWO swords. Even if I'm more confident in Yuri than Lloyd.

ClaTheBae

Smash Master
View attachment 183326

NieR: Automata's director, Yoko Taro, indeed did say he'd do anything for money. Who wouldn't? He has also praised Sakurai, and envies him, and stated that they're actually complete opposites when it comes to the video game market, as stated here. https://kotaku.com/nier-automatas-director-i-might-be-broken-in-some-way-1824147208
Here is what he said:
He has also acknowledged the idea of 2B being in Smash in an interview earlier this year, and stated that he "likes the sound of that", but then his self deprecating jokes come out and he says he doesn't know if 2B is good enough of a character for the game, and that he isn't sure if they take characters primarily associated with Sony, but he'd be happy to make any sorts of collaborations.

Yoko Taro, along with the entire team behind NieR, including the Producer, stated they want to get NieR onto the switch, but it might take a while to get it done.

Wait, why were you asking this again? I got too into sharing Yoko Taro lore that I forgot.

Were you trying to see if Yoko Taro would be the kind of guy who'd collab with Nintendo to get 2B into Smash, and NieR onto the switch? Because if so, he's already good friends with Sakurai, likely working on NieR on the switch right now (or so I assume, not a rumor or leak), and is really into collaborating with anyone who approaches him. He also loves money.
The thing with 2B is that they'll have to do a black void under her dress which is pretty unfortunate

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
No shade but Erdrick on god looks like the really tacky colored alt Pit has except it's not an alt and it's his default look he picked out himself on the first day of middle school

Means nothing for the character but it just makes me laugh

Exactly. they all look pretty different and would all PLAY very different. Joker is... well Joker. Using pistols and daggers plus Arsene. Fun fact, Erdrick will be the first non-Link fighter to use a SHEILD with their Sword. I know Link doesn't get much use out of it himself, but that feels important. And Lloyd uses TWO swords. Even if I'm more confident in Yuri than Lloyd.
"will be"
Don't be so certain my friend.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
>Talking about how majority of DLC characters will be anime looking characters.

This forum has gone down the deep end.

Imagine it being the case then?

-Banjo/Master Chief/Steve
-Erdrick
-Joker (Confirmed)
-Lloyd Irving
-Poochy
Boo/Nice/Nice
Boo
Nice
Has potential to be nice
Eh, more effort should be spent on making sure Poochy gets justice and Yoshi gets locked away for animal abuse

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
While it’s not a valid argument, I can understand people’s preferences when it comes to “cartoony” characters over “anime/realistic” ones.

When most people think of Smash, it’s this silly fighting/party game where characters can go around whacking each other shells, hammers, bob-omb etc, so naturally people would desire characters with a fun and appealing look that fit that zany style such as Waluigi, Banjo, Crash etc.

Now :ultlink::ultsamus::ultfalcon: and arguably :ultfox: have all been present since 64 so again, it’s not a valid argument.

People enjoy the “cool” characters because the idea of these serious characters duking it out with goofballs lie :ultmario::ultdk::ultyoshi: etc sounds really hilarious and something you could never do.

The problem with Smash 4, is the newcomer line-up, (base & DLC) is that most of them were “serious/anime” styled and while they have fans and are fun to play with, fans of the more cartoony characters have gotten the wrong idea due to there not being a single cartoony DLC character and there being about 4 new FE fighters at once hence creating the infamous “anime swordsman” term.

Get what I’m saying?

Imagine a timeline in which Ditto is a fighter in Ultimate... yeah this Ditto: :132:
Seems pretty :083: but there's a possibility we came very close to it actually happening...

...some dataminers apparently found this in the code:
Is it useful information? Probably not. Does this confirm that they were really planning to make him a fighter? Nope.

Is it weird? Absolutely.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Imagine a timeline in which Ditto is a fighter in Ultimate... yeah this Ditto: :132:
Seems pretty :083: but there's a possibility we came very close to it actually happening...

Is it useful information? Probably not. Does this confirm that they were really planning to make him a fighter? Nope.

Is it weird? Absolutely.
Perhaps Ditto was meant to be the character who took up the "random" slot and would de-transform for his pose and transform for his entrance.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
No shade but Erdrick on god looks like the really tacky colored alt Pit has except it's not an alt and it's his default look he picked out himself on the first day of middle school

Means nothing for the character but it just makes me laugh
Well Dragon Quest 3 did originally come out in 1988... he reflects quite a few of the over the type fantasy character designs that you saw in that time lol this was only made even more excessive in the Gameboy color remakes in the 90s. Which that design is still used for him to this day lol

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I can see why people might not like too many more realistic/human characters. Ultimately visuals are important, they’re what you see on the CSS, and it’s understandable to feel like some characters blend together after a while. It’s why I want an axe user, not because it would play particularly different, but because it would be more visually interesting than another heavy swordsmen to me.

D

Deleted member

Rate my Fighter Pass:
-Saber
-Crono
-Solaire
-Phoenix Wright
let at least one of these happen please

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Rate my Fighter Pass:
-Saber
-Crono
-Solaire
-Phoenix Wright
"...uh...i...i guess?"
Very happy with Wright; happy with Solaire as it could bring on future Bloodborne rep and he's a fun character; Crono's alright but you know who I want for Squenix; Saber....I like her but I don't really care much for her

So a solid "...eh?"

Another thought is it could do more as a Pokeball, but it didn't work out due to time constraints.
The victory pose, though.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

"...uh...i...i guess?"
Very happy with Wright; happy with Solaire as it could bring on future Bloodborne rep and he's a fun character; Crono's alright but you know who I want for Squenix; Saber....I like her but I don't really care much for her

So a solid "...eh?"

ur lucky i lov u or else ur head would be on a pike

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
"...uh...i...i guess?"

So a solid "...eh?"

You do know Bloodborne is first party owned by Sony, right? Look at the listings and merch for the game. No copyright is given to FromSoftware, unlike Dark Souls.
Is Chief likely at least?
no

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719

Is it weird? Absolutely.
Perhaps it just needs that data in order to copy fighters?

NineS

Smash Lord
The thing with 2B is that they'll have to do a black void under her dress which is pretty unfortunate
Good point, but I wouldn't be surprised if they found some way around it.

Besides, not like I'd mind. I don't know why it'd be too much of a problem... Unless you're abusing the camera mid-fight to look under the female fighters' dresses, and zoom in on Samus & Bayonetta... I won't judge.
Cloud and Joker are in, I don't think that's too big of a problem...

Though she does have to deal with a bigger problem, as (correct me if I'm wrong) she hasn't appeared on a Nintendo console at all...
Even Cloud and Joker have appeared on a Nintendo console before their Smash announcements, even if they were in small roles...

In my oppinon. t's less of being associated with Sony that's a problem, and moreso a lack of presence on Nintendo at all

But hopefully, I'm wrong, and 2B manages to get in, regardless
I've stated it before, but 2B technically does have a Nintendo presence.

I've also stated before that, the issue with her presence on Nintendo is that it wasn't a major one.

She appears on Phantasy Star Online 2 for all consoles, Switch included, alongside A2 and 9S. The issue with this though is that it isn't even on a game in her own franchise, or a Square Enix game, but merely a collaboration with SEGA.

Believe me, I'm well aware of the odds, and the facts floating around that both support her chances, and go against her chances. I'd love to be blinded by hope like many others, but I try to keep my expectations grounded. My hopes, however, I let roam free to do what they like.

I do my best to prevent my bias from clouding what I think will happen, instead of what I want to believe will happen.

All in all, she has had a Nintendo presence, but it's not a very large or noticeable one. Compared to the likes of Joker, Snake, or Cloud, who have appeared on Nintendo consoles at least once through games in their own franchise, if not their own game, 2B's is in a 3rd party game by SEGA only mostly played over in Japan for the most part that is on the Xbox one, PS4, and Switch.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Last edited:

Potato_

Smash Lord
Rate my Fighter Pass:
-Saber
-Crono
-Solaire
-Phoenix Wright
  • Confusion as to how she even got in at all. Barely know anything about her so I wouldn't really care.
  • Really cool pick for a Square rep, I'd be happy to see him but not excited.
  • YES.
  • If he's anything like his MvC 3 version then I'm more than fine with it.

It's a pretty decent pass IMO. Saber would be the only "downside" for me, as the others would either be cool or make me really happy. Joker and Solaire would definitely be the highlights though IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom