• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

It was from a Japanese text leak on 2ch with some Joker and Persona details that also mentioned ArcSys is developing a Granblue fighting game. That fighting game was then announced five days later. It was an interesting coincidence considering it isn't a new runor but other people in the US scene have said Erdrick is at least on the table.

It's nothing confirmed but it's neat.
Technically, it’s called 5chan now, formerly known as Futaba Channel.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
What I will say, half-baked development model or not, is that it'd be quite odd for someone to go out of their way to make something like this 'leak' - Joker isn't a secret, so they gain absolutely nothing from it. After the Grinch leak, I certainly don't doubt the, er... commitment of some people, but I don't think it would be a reach for it to be real (nor would we really lose/gain anything either way, so the argument is really pointless).

D

Deleted member

Here's one issue we should think about, though.

How many basic-human-proportions characters does Nintendo want to fill this five character pass with? If we assume that Erdrick is in, that means 2/5 are already basic human/"anime" style characters. And I feel like Nintendo-- and Sakurai-- would want to vary the choices a little more aesthetically.

Granted, Smash For DLC was :ultmewtwo::ultlucas::ultroy::ultryu::ultcloud::ultcorrin::ultbayonetta:, and five of those are basic anime-ish humanoids, but those were decided separately. When looking at all five of the fighters pass characters collectively, I feel like they'd want them to be differentiated a bit more. Could be wrong.
I don't think nintendo cares about "problems" like "too much anime" like the Smash fanbase does when there's so much potential money is on the table

Last edited by a moderator:

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
I wonder how many Smash fans actually hate anime?
I don't hate anime, but I very much dislike typical anime tropes. I like the anime that differentiates itself in its visuals and doesn't look like every other one made this decade.

Plus the obsession with schoolgirls deters me from most of the ones that focus on them. I basically only watch anime when it's heavily recommended to me and I can pronounce the title.

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
You know the more Maximilian Dood talks about his wack Sub-Zero in Smash theory, the more I gotta wonder if he knows something

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
I don't hate anime, but I very much dislike typical anime tropes. I like the anime that differentiates itself in its visuals and doesn't look like every other one made this decade.

Plus the obsession with schoolgirls deters me from most of the ones that focus on them. I basically only watch anime when it's heavily recommended to me and I can pronounce the title.
all anime should be jojo

fix the double post pls mods

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

If anyone is curious, Cr1tiKal gave Smash Ultimate a 90% out of a 100% on the Moist Meter.

So we can now say that this game is certified moist.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
I don't think nintendo cares about "problems" like "too much anime" like the Smash fanbase does when there's so much potential money is on the table
Well, to be clear, I don't mean in the "too much anime" way like we do on these forums. I mean more from a business perspective. Diversifying your season pass so that you can hopefully appeal to as many different tastes as possible and so they don't look repetitive when listing them all together in a group image. This could be one of the factors in narrowing it down to the final five.

It also could not. We don't know.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585

the same face syndrome in love live is truly the worst thing ever

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
What I will say, half-baked development model or not, is that it'd be quite odd for someone to go out of their way to make something like this 'leak' - Joker isn't a secret, so they gain absolutely nothing from it. After the Grinch leak, I certainly don't doubt the, er... commitment of some people, but I don't think it would be a reach for it to be real (nor would we really lose/gain anything either way, so the argument is really pointless).
They do gain the satisfaction of getting people on the internet to discuss their image, regardless of whether or not it’s real. Given that we’re talking about it, it’s already working.

Theoretically, diversity would encourage more people with different preferences in character design to buy at least some of the DLC.

Then again, though, is minimal diversity actually better as it would get the people with that one preference to buy all of the DLC instead of just one or two characters? I would assume Nintendo has done their research on which one sells better.

Last edited:

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
I’d rather my anime not be riddled with plot holes thank you very much.

/s a bit
Aw, but plotholes are so fun!

It's why I ****ing love rewatching Gundam Wing. Like, I've watched the show to completion probably 7 or 8 times in my life and I still get surprised when something happens and my response is, "wait, what."

D

Deleted member

Well, to be clear, I don't mean in the "too much anime" way like we do on these forums. I mean more from a business perspective. Diversifying your season pass so that you can hopefully appeal to as many different tastes as possible and so they don't look repetitive when listing them all together in a group image. This could be one of the factors in narrowing it down to the final five.

It also could not. We don't know.
I guess? I mean if you truly do have heavy hitters like Joker and a DQ rep, I don't think that diversifying it matters.

...granted, most of the heavy hitters like Geno, banjo, or Steve aren't anime figures and it would be plenty diverse as well.

D

Deleted member

I'd wonder why anyone would watch anime with schoolgirls in the first place...

FalcoXP

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-3205-1052-7736

Same. That's why I ended liking Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, started watching it for the memes and lulz, and now im a jojofan.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
I guess? I mean if you truly do have heavy hitters like Joker and a DQ rep, I don't think that diversifying it matters.

...granted, most of the heavy hitters like Geno, banjo, or Steve aren't anime figures and it would be plenty diverse as well.
Yeah, that's what I'm getting at.

Let's say Nintendo has ten top choices on the table, and they've got to narrow it down to five. And seven of them have the same proportions, then a few of those have similar looks to characters they already have in the base game (like Erdrick). The three who don't, like, say, Banjo or Steve, have an aesthetic advantage that could be what breaks the tie.

It's all just a hypothesis though. I'm a marketer so I think about these things.

D

Deleted member

Aw, but plotholes are so fun!

It's why I ****ing love rewatching Gundam Wing. Like, I've watched the show to completion probably 7 or 8 times in my life and I still get surprised when something happens and my response is, "wait, what."
I’m mostly joking. With regards to Jojo, for me it does get a bit annoying when in part 3 one of the characters is revived after dying and then in part 4 they explicitly say that someone can’t be reveieved if they’ve died. Most plot holes don’t bug me though, and like you said they can be fun sometimes.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
What leak?

Alternis

Ignore the user in front of you
NNID
GeneralO
Switch FC
SW-1137-6792-9994
Today I learned that you can't set the Smash 64 menu theme as a song to be used on the menu. :crying:

Seriously, why put the song in the game if you can't use it on the menu or a stage? It's really disappointing.

D

Deleted member

I wonder what percentage of people who bought Smash Ultimate did so because Inkling’s purple alt exists
Old and rusted: ****ing to inklings purple schoolgirl alt like a degenerate
New and busted: ****ing to real hot **** like richter belmont

ClaTheBae

Smash Master
Anime is weird because a lot of them feel the same, but the ones that have balls really do end up standing out.

Oreimo, for example, betrays a lot of common beats when the MC gets a girlfriend, rejects every girl that likes him, then actually gets with [REDACTED}

Not saying it's great writing but at least it's interesting

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Here's one issue we should think about, though.

How many basic-human-proportions characters does Nintendo want to fill this five character pass with? If we assume that Erdrick is in, that means 2/5 are already basic human/"anime" style characters. And I feel like Nintendo-- and Sakurai-- would want to vary the choices a little more aesthetically.

Granted, Smash For DLC was :ultmewtwo::ultlucas::ultroy::ultryu::ultcloud::ultcorrin::ultbayonetta:, and five of those are basic anime-ish humanoids, but those were decided separately. When looking at all five of the fighters pass characters collectively, I feel like they'd want them to be differentiated a bit more. Could be wrong.
This is my problem with it so far.

I get that Joker/Erdrick/Cloud/Lloyd all come from different JRPG subgenres, but they all have a similar face/body/hair style that’s not my favorite. It doesn’t help that my most wanted is also human, albeit built more along Simon’s lines, so I don’t want him to get upstaged with ‘too many people’ arguments.

If we discount the three vets, every one of the previous DLC characters was human - two more realistic, and two more anime. So far, we’ve got an anime-esque one declared and two rumored, so it’s looking like another salt mine for people who aren’t a huge fan of human fighters - especially anime humans.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Also, whoever that person was who kept making jokes about the Water From Fluidity being in...I just got to World of Light's Pac-Maze-esque area and...it's in. As a Spirit, but still. You did it

PlugMeister

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PlugMeistr
Switch FC
SW-7021-0200-5077
I'll openly admit that I bought the Fighters Pass as soon as it was available back in November. Even if the remaining characters end up being ones I personally don't care for (and Joker certainly is one I'm glad to see on popularity alone), Smash is Smash and I know for a fact that Sakurai and his team are going to make quality content.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
>Talking about how majority of DLC characters will be anime looking characters.

This forum has gone down the deep end.

Imagine it being the case then?

-Banjo/Master Chief/Steve
-Erdrick
-Joker (Confirmed)
-Lloyd Irving
-Poochy

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

He isn’t playable, but this somewhat eases the gnawing pain carved into my soul, feasting upon whatever remnants of sanity remain within me
E0FA8FA5-E969-4D41-BCF6-BAFDD809122C.jpeg

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
This is my problem with it so far.

I get that Joker/Erdrick/Cloud/Lloyd all come from different JRPG subgenres, but they all have a similar face/body/hair style that’s not my favorite. It doesn’t help that my most wanted is also human, albeit built more along Simon’s lines, so I don’t want him to get upstaged with ‘too many people’ arguments.

If we discount the three vets, every one of the previous DLC characters was human - two more realistic, and two more anime. So far, we’ve got an anime-esque one declared and two rumored, so it’s looking like another salt mine for people who aren’t a huge fan of human fighters - especially anime humans.

Everyone but Joker has some spiky hair sure. But all of their design styles are actually distinct from another. Especially Erdrick as he was designed by Akira Toriyama.

A portion of the Smash fanbase's obsession over "anime swordsmen" and "cartoony characters", aka just reducing characters to just "design style" is really tiring now.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom