• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GoeGoe

Smash Lord
And I don't play Peach.

I have never enjoyed playing Peach.

I have never even remotely considered the possibility of learning to play Peach.

But I ****ing love Daisy. Auuuugh!
Are you kidding! Peach is a monster.. a very cute one.
True, if you've never played as her before then she's a tricky one to master.. but if you get the hang of it.. oh boy what a monster you have at your disposal

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I’m a Belmont main who spams projectiles and edgeguards. I feel like kind of an asshole cause I think the guy I’m playing against isn’t having any fun fighting me, but the play style just kinda clicks. Help :mad088:

ClaTheBae

Smash Master
I’m a Belmont main who spams projectiles and edgeguards. I feel like kind of an ******* cause I think the guy I’m playing against isn’t having any fun fighting me, but the play style just kinda clicks. Help :mad088:
Play to win dude. People who make you feel bad about it are just bad at the game. Simple as that. Adapt to the playstyle or quit complaining. Projectile spamming isn't broken by any means

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Characters I'd like to see in Smash one day:
  • Skull Kid
  • Sylux
  • Bandana Waddle Dee
  • Elma
  • Rex and Pyra
  • Hector
  • Isaac
  • Dante
  • 2B
  • Ryu Hayabusa
  • Doomguy

In case characters outside of games got brought in:
  • Luke Skywalker
  • Darth Vader

D

Deleted member

Play yo win dude. People who make you feel bad about it are just bad at the game. Simple as that. Adapt to the playstyle or quit complaining. Projectile spamming isn't broken by any means
Yeah but what if they aren’t having any fun? I don’t want to be that guy. It’s not even anybody telling me it, I just feel a zoner who edgeguards isn’t fun to play against.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Well I don't know how much you're into the complicated stuff but I've been labbing her and there's some cool stuff she has.

For one, you can combo the weak hit of her down tilt into nair. Pretty good for getting someone off stage

Turnips are good as hell and you should use them whenever you aren't right in your opponent's face. Seriously don't stop throwing them until they approach. If you have one when they start to approach, throw it up into the air. This will prevent them from trying to get in above you or it will create extra damage if you throw them into it.

You can do some cool stuff with her turnips at close range too. If you time it right, you can Z drop a turnip right above the opponent, hit them with it, then quickly back air, hitting the opponent and catching the turnip in the process. She gets crazy damage off of that.

Also, if you pull a saturn, don't throw it. Just go into floating and hit them with an aerial, they'll be too afraid to shield while you're holding saturn.
Thanks for the tips. A lot of the booksmart stuff I've read, but applying it feels unnatural. It's like I stop playing Smash and start learning a new game.

To actually incorporate her floats, I made the R-trigger jump, and thinking in advance, "Okay, hold down and R, then move," is the initial hurdle that slows me down in a match. The new shorthop mechanic makes Fairs for Zelda, YL and all the Marth clones insanely easy, so I've gotten used to it, but then Daisy's is so delayed that I'm simultaneously trying to change how I short hop back to Brawl days. (I kinda skipped a lot of Smash For.) Hitting any aerial close to the ground via float and following up with anything else is something I just don't have in my muscle memory yet, and using turnips for shield pressure feels so different from Link/Robin. I play keepaway with their projectiles, but with Daisy they're supposed to be an alternate way of approaching.

I need a lot more time to learn her and feel comfortable outside of training mode. Essentially I'm just aggravated because so many characters have come really easily to me but Daisy is taking work. Like, I am shocked by how much I love Zelda. I ****ing love Zelda.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Apparently Olimar can destroy everyone using his air moves in a Spirits battle, as long as he has a Spirit with high power like maxed-out Akuma, and it just increases with supports. From what I've seen on a thread describing this, it seems to deal more damage with red, yellow, and purple Pikmin (or at least the reds), can be a 1-hit KO on fighters, and it makes adventure mode's bosses incredibly easy to beat.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Yeah but what if they aren’t having any fun? I don’t want to be that guy. It’s not even anybody telling me it, I just feel a zoner who edgeguards isn’t fun to play against.
Playing any competitive game at the highest level is basically synonymous with making sure your opponent is having as little fun as possible. Don't feel bad about it, it's just in the nature of the game.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Even though I've been playing Smash for years I just learned something ridiculous. Just how much people hate taunting after getting a KO. Like... wow.

For many years when my friends and I would play and we got a KO we'd taunt as a way of saying: "Yay! I did it!" because we were having fun playing a video game. There is no malice. No cockiness. It's just a "booyah!" kind of thing.

Well appearantly it's seen as highly disrespectful. I dared to taunt after a KO in an online match and the guy went beserk! I was seriously confused as to what he was doing as the other matches he seemed to play normally. I eventually looked it up and I was shocked how mad people get over a funny little animation in a video game featuring a big fat crocodile who sucks you up with a gun!

But I get it. Gaming culture can be really toxic and so taunting is probably often interpreted as a way for the player to say "I'm better than you" or "You suck". I never want to give the impression that I'm saying that. Too bad. These taunts are pretty fun.
On one hand, it's called "taunting" for reason. In a serious match, it's a mind game tool to provoke or tilt your opponent.

On the other hand, it is still really silly to get so angry over it. I sometimes taunt after getting crazy hard read or after making a serious comeback and I've triggered some really salty For Glory players over that.

ClaTheBae

Smash Master
I mean I think working around an opponent like that is fun. Smash is a mental game first and foremost. But I understand everyone is different when it comes to that so I can't speak for all of them.
triggered
oh boy not again

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Every other character is a Rabbid.

Not even the funny one from Mario + Rabbids, just the really, really annoying ones.
...You know I like those Rabbids, right?

Mind you, even if it's characters I don't care for, I would still get them all. I find Joker an interesting pick, so while it's clear I won't get my top favorite anyway, it should still be a fun lineup in the end~

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I think Nero would be a solid pick for a character since he'd still have his DMC4 look as an alt to go by. Plus, we already have Reuben Langdon with a playable role, so giving Johnny Yong Bosch a Fighter character would be a neat subversion to a Devil May Cry rep. Though, going by your comment, you're probably just being jokey about it.
Nah, Nero would be legitimately cool. Though I do prefer Dante. I also think Nero's simpler moveset works better for a game like this, unless Dante only stuck to Rebellion or something.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Even though I've been playing Smash for years I just learned something ridiculous. Just how much people hate taunting after getting a KO. Like... wow.

For many years when my friends and I would play and we got a KO we'd taunt as a way of saying: "Yay! I did it!" because we were having fun playing a video game. There is no malice. No cockiness. It's just a "booyah!" kind of thing.

Well appearantly it's seen as highly disrespectful. I dared to taunt after a KO in an online match and the guy went beserk! I was seriously confused as to what he was doing as the other matches he seemed to play normally. I eventually looked it up and I was shocked how mad people get over a funny little animation in a video game featuring a big fat crocodile who sucks you up with a gun!

But I get it. Gaming culture can be really toxic and so taunting is probably often interpreted as a way for the player to say "I'm better than you" or "You suck". I never want to give the impression that I'm saying that. Too bad. These taunts are pretty fun.
There is nothing I enjoy more than KOing someone off the side of the screen and using Zelda's waving taunt.

It's not supposed to be "taunting" per se. It's just really goddamn funny.

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
...You know I like those Rabbis, right?

Mind you, even if it's characters I don't care for, I would still get them all. I find Joker an interesting pick, so while it's clear I won't get my top favorite anyway, it should still be a fun lineup in the end~
A bunch of Rabbis is an interesting pick for the DLC roster

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
I’m a Belmont main who spams projectiles and edgeguards. I feel like kind of an ******* cause I think the guy I’m playing against isn’t having any fun fighting me, but the play style just kinda clicks. Help :mad088:
I get that same feeling when I'm :ultyounglink:. Like, it's working and I'm really good at it but I know the other person's salty as **** when I'm doing it right.

Pull out a bomb. Angled boomerang. Arrow. Throw the bomb. Arrow again. Jump arrow. Repeat. And when they stop approaching and shield, I have surprisingly fast shield pressure and a great grab. I've had multiple people SD to end the fight, but... I mean. That's how you play him!

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
There is nothing I enjoy more than KOing someone off the side of the screen and using Zelda's waving taunt.

It's not supposed to be "taunting" per se. It's just really goddamn funny.
I liked ending matches in Smash 4 doing Mega Man's Teleport taunt. Might do that some more in Ultimate whenever I finally got the game.

"Later ******!"

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
I mean, I play as him because he's the only good Fire Emblem lord, but I guess he's got that going for him too.
Serious question:

How can you like Ike and not like Chrom? They're like Lord twins.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Zoners aren't fun to fight when you're losing to them, but figuring out how to get past their projectiles and approaching them can feel really satisfying.

That's what I always tell myself whenever I spam Razor Leaf, at any rate.
oh boy not again
I wasn't even thinking of the misandrist Tumblr stereotype as I was posting it, "triggered" is just a part of my internet slang vocabulary for some reason. I don't know where or when I picked that phrase up.

The funny thing is that both of my sisters use Tumblr and I probably use the term "triggered" more then both of them combined.

D

Deleted member

I get that same feeling when I'm :ultyounglink:. Like, it's working and I'm really good at it but I know the other person's salty as **** when I'm doing it right.

Pull out a bomb. Angled boomerang. Arrow. Throw the bomb. Arrow again. Jump arrow. Repeat. And when they stop approaching and shield, I have surprisingly fast shield pressure and a great grab. I've had multiple people SD to end the fight, but... I mean. That's how you play him!
Play whoever you want and don't let others judging get to you. Like, I exploit the everloving hell out of Chromicide, but idc if people get pissed. Find a counterplay. No character in this game is broken a la Sm4sh Bayo or Brawl Meta Knight right now, and everyone has at least one weakness. Find a way to exploit that weakness and outplay the opponent, stop blaming the opponent for being better then you.

Last edited by a moderator:

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Zoners aren't fun to fight when you're losing to them, but figuring out how to get past their projectiles and approaching them can feel really satisfying.

That's what I always tell myself whenever I spam Razor Leaf, at any rate.
What's oddly satisfying and kind of heartbreaking is when you realize you've broken their spirit. Like, suddenly everything you're throwing hits and you're not even sure if they're paying attention anymore.

Just last night I actually stopped using arrows purely because I felt bad. This Cloud player just would not stop getting hit by them and I had a two stock lead. Spent the rest of the match seeing if I could kill him with a nair.

ClaTheBae

Smash Master
I wasn't even thinking of the misandrist Tumblr stereotype as I was posting it, "triggered" is just a part of my internet slang vocabulary for some reason. I don't know where or when I picked that phrase up.

The funny thing is that both of my sisters use Tumblr and I probably use the term "triggered" more then both of them combined.
I only said oh boy cause I corrected someone earlier today who used the term as a synonym for offended. I Just dislike its use a a buzzword.

Anyways, some dude on 4chan made a fake joker leak. Not real obviously but it's pretty funny

D

Deleted member

I only said oh boy cause I corrected someone earlier today who used the term as a synonym for offended. I Just dislike its use a a buzzword.

Anyways, some dude on 4chan made a fake joker leak. Not real obviously but it's pretty funny
omg its joker from j, i love that game. j5 is the best j tbh

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Play whoever you want and don't let others judging get to you. Like, I exploit the everloving hell out of Chromicide, but idc if people get pissed. Find a counterplay. No character in this game is broken a la Sm4sh Bayo or Brawl Meta Knight right now, and everyone has at least one weakness. Find a way to exploit that weakness and outplay the opponent, stop blaming the opponent for being better then you.
Oh, I'm not worried at all about people being butthurt. Link finally doesn't suck. They can kiss my ***.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Since we're on the subject of zoners, "PK FIRE! PK THUNDER! PK FIRE!"

GoeGoe

Smash Lord
Maybe I'm late at this but it seems someone has posted some images of Joker..
Could be fake, but that's how I imagined Joker would look like anyways.. soo, eh..

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Is it just me, or is the render a bit less detailed than normal?

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Chrom just felt too boring. I don't see how he and Ike are alike in any way.
They're strong, tough, don't like to over complicate things or talk for too long, but they're also both friendly, casual and somewhat approachable despite that. It's pretty clear to see that Chrom was written to have a lot of the traits that made people like Ike, but with some traits of his own to set him apart.

And a lot of people also think Ike is boring. That's something people say about every FE lord.
Well now I have to look it up so I know what people think is wrong about using it.

Oh. It never crossed my mind that it's also a word used for people suffering from PTSD, or that people would get upset at it because of that...whelp I'll try to erase that from my vocabulary now.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
The only reason I don't currently see Lloyd or Kos-Mos right now is because they currently aren't particularly marketable despite their dedicated following. Similar to how Yu Narukami and Makoto Yuki were skipped as well.among other things.

Heihachi I feel is also pretty likely, being a one-or-the-other pick with Nightmare. The only reason I see Nightmare more is because of recency. Plus the cheeky Link in SC2 reference that they will inevitably pull.

As for MonHun, I've been treating its representation in Smash as a hard deconfirmation. There's no particular reason I'd see for Nintendo to push the Hunter when they probably already think Rathalos represents them adequately. Plus, the surprise factor would be diminished as well.

And, well, that leaves either Chris/Jill/Leon or Dante and due to the nature of the former being more down-to-earth and more reliant on using firearms in a realistic militaristic way (aka why Snake focuses on weird explosives), I could see Nintendo erring on Dante instead.
Isn't Tales of Symphonia big in Japan to the point of having its own them park?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom