• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Wait what?

When did this happen?

The body structure doesn't resemble an amphibian at all
Prepare to have your mind blown;

There's also the fact that Sugimori commented that Bulbasaur's design was based off of a frog in an interview before, and that "saur" isn't present in the Bulba line's Japanese names (Fushigidane / Fushigisou / Fushigibana).

D

Deleted member

I wake up, come into the thread and scroll past this thread a tiny bit to find a hint towards Xenoblade Chronicles 2 music in Smash Ultimate.

oh goD OH GOD.png

DON'T. PLAY. MY. ****ING. HEART LIKE THIS.

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
Oh! Damn! Thx, that was the info i was looking for earlier! (the origin of the Geno leak)

Great to have Pushdustin's insight on this. So it was a bundle of leaks then... sausage fingers/dead inside Banjo is making me doubt about this tbh, that and the thing about the OP of the leaks and his writing... that would be a very well crafted fake then... I can't analyze much else for now, i'm a bit tired...

For now I'll just say.... .. .

:p

https://boards.fireden.net/v/thread/429940289/

theres the thread if you want to look at it.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I think the thing that's made speculation less fun for me is that I feel...the truly zaniest, the impossible newcomers? They'll be saved for DLC. The Clouds or Bayonettas of it all if you will.

Yes. K. Rool and Ridley definitely were shocking in their own rights but they didn't leave me like this:

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
You know what's something I look forward to in Ultimate?

Franchise specific free-for-alls

Now we've got 4 Metroid characters to each fill a spot and with the stage morph feature there's the ability to switch between Brinstar and Norfair!

The only thing that could make this better is if there was an option to choose which assists spawn out of an assist trophy

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
So what's your favorite thing about your main or future main?

I would say what mine is, but it would be 700 pages long :yoshi:
Switching. I might be a loyalist with one true main, but I like to play a lot of different characters with different playstyles. I consider myself pretty flexible in that way. Being able to switch Pokemon midmatch to one with a completely different play style just seems perfect for me. I play a lot of swordies as well and, while Ivysaur may not technically be one, I'll bet you those disjointed vines will be a natural fit for me.

As for what I love about Solo Zard aside from the obvious? I really love juggling and frametrapping my opponents. I think it's part of the reason the mon stuck with me as my main in Smash 4 is because it felt so good catching landings with his good ground speed and catching air dodges with lingering hitboxes and range. Catching an air dodge or roll with one powerful hit is way more satisfying to me in general then getting in a simple combo made up of a few weak hits.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904

Now we've got 4 Metroid characters to each fill a spot and with the stage morph feature there's the ability to switch between Brinstar and Norfair!

The only thing that could make this better is if there was an option to choose which assists spawn out of an assist trophy
That needs to be an option in general with Pokeballs too. (Maybe Mew only appears when all Pokemon are activated so it can't be farmed for item drops)

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118

There are obviously many things I like about this perfect squad but if I had to narrow it down to just a few...

:ultjigglypuff: KOing someone with the holy power that is the 'wall of pain' just feels so good.
:ultdk: Throws and meteor smashes.
:ultganondorf: He is so damn powerful and hitting those high damage moves is so satisfying.
:ultsnake: C4, just C4. Oh and gimping someone with the box.
:ultryu: I love using the SF inputs and abusing focus attack is also really fun.
:ultridley: I haven't played Ultimate yet but I'm already in love with that side B!

zauberdragon

Smash Journeyman

I’m excited to do themed squad strikes. Myself and a friend have been planning some out. Heroes vs villains, mario vs Zelda, third parties v each other, retro vs new franchises, echos vs their echoees, I could go on.

Squad strike and smash down have so much potential.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Didn't Know I Wanted til I Saw, 10/10
There's also the fact that Sugimori commented that Bulbasaur's design was based off of a frog in an interview before, and that "saur" isn't present in the Bulba line's Japanese names (Fushigidane / Fushigisou / Fushigibana).
The Bulbasaur line being based on frogs isn't that mind blowing to me because I always saw the frog/toad resemblance. :laugh: I considered the "saur" bit just a translation snafu more than anything.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
The Bulbasaur line being based on frogs isn't that mind blowing to me because I always saw the frog/toad resemblance. :laugh: I considered the "saur" bit just a translation snafu more than anything.
I think I wanted to believe that the Bulbasaurs were reptiles due to how all the Gen 1 starters seemed like reptiles to me...

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Well in hindsight it seems pretty obvious to me that they were always frogs, but sometimes when you think something silly as a kid and grow up thinking that into adulthood without ever being corrected it can be hard to shake it off. There's a lot of people out there who are still having their minds blown by this.
I think I wanted to believe that the Bulbasaurs were reptiles due to how all the Gen 1 starters seemed like reptiles to me...
Well in all fairness amphibians can be pretty cool as well. This video recently gave me a new appreciation for them. It never fails to amaze me how bizarre and awesome nature can be.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I think the thing that's made speculation less fun for me is that I feel...the truly zaniest, the impossible newcomers? They'll be saved for DLC. The Clouds or Bayonettas of it all if you will.

Yes. K. Rool and Ridley definitely were shocking in their own rights but they didn't leave me like this:

You know what, that's actually a pretty fair expectation. Although it does make the wait for DLC even harder...

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Just my minor gripes but Zelda being low tier has absolutely nothing to do with how Zelda is represented and if does Kirby needs a newcomer more. Also, I don't agree with Hyrule Warriors being a good source for Smash. It's fun but most "movesets" are just throwing hitboxes around.
It’s more insult to injury with Zelda and Ganondorf being such consistently low tier in the past couple games. Sure that has little to do with represtation but come on at a certain point. I hope Ultimate can correct some of that.

I wasn’t saying draw moves from Hyrule Warriors (well you could in some instances), but that it was a damn good game for showing the diversity and depth of the Zelda series with lot of characters doing lots of different things. I even think some influence from Hyrule Warriors would be a pretty good thing seeing as how much of a love letter to Zelda that could be at times.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
*Put tinfoil hat on.*

You know. I realized that, while everyone focus on the Sassy Geno Leak, and for a good reason (I love you Luigi The President Luigi The President for that name btw) the Guy who said that something ruffled feathers internally being the one who Hinted at Cloud in smash 4, meaning that he probably have source at Square ( and probably why he knows that it's not the Ken leak since it's not related to Square)

I realized that the things that could have the same consequences in the same timeframe of a month ago would be Hashimoto's Deleted Sonic fast tweet about Sora. Hence why he's not sure if it's a Picture Leaks, Text leak or whatever. Just that something leaked around a month ago-

D

Deleted member

I dunno why you guys are giving "sassy Geno" any consideration necause, regardless of how good you think it looks(it really doesn't at all tho), it was paired with those Dixie and Banjo pics which should have killed it immediatelly.

JustCallMeJon

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3067-7373-5050
Switch FC
SW 4274 8573 0226
What is going on?? We still focused on the Geno image? I thought we have killed it at night!

I wanted Geno to be in Smash, but that image does not click me the same way as Ken. I do not see it.

Last edited:

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
I don't think people put enough consideration into the leak that the Resetera guy is talking about not being widespread. Sort of like the ESRB leak before it spread.

Idk, I don't feel convinced by any leak we've seen and I don't see Nintendo reacting to any.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
I don't think people put enough consideration into the leak that the Resetera guy is talking about not being widespread. Sort of like the ESRB leak before it spread.

Idk, I don't feel convinced by any leak we've seen and I don't see Nintendo reacting to any.
That's Ultimately what I feel tbvh-. I said it since the beginning that it probably was a leak that only influencer/Leaker circle have

osby

Smash Obsessed

:ultzelda: That lightning kicks! They're always so satifying to hit, especially the spike. Also her specials, because I love all of them.

:ultjigglypuff: I'd say Rest but actually I like how I don't have to walk or run and just jump around the stage.

EDIT: Forgot about :ultrichter: and :ultisabelle: but I don't know if I can actually play as them, I'll still try though, they look fun.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero

I love ROB's side-B. It's all cute and spinny. And his gyros are so fun to hit people with. He's a goofy bot and I love him.

Mr. Game & Watch is so fast. I love it. I can't wait to see all his new animations in Ultimate.

Richter I'm just stoked exists in Smash. I wanted Simon since Sm4sh but then they added my favorite Belmont as well?! I can't wait to master his moveset. He makes me want to try going pro!

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
:ultzelda: That lightning kicks! They're always so satifying to hit, especially the spike. Also her specials, because I love all of them.

:ultjigglypuff: I'd say Rest but actually I like how I don't have to walk or run and just jump around the stage.
You kinda HAVE to jump around as the Jiggs as she's not very good on the ground. But at least she has the [2nd :yoshi:] best air mobility out of the cast...

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710

:ultcorrin:'s Pin and Counter are basically beasts. They are so fun to use
But let's ignore the fact that the pin got nerfed this time, okay?

osby

Smash Obsessed
You kinda HAVE to jump around as the Jiggs as she's not very good on the ground. But at least she has the [2nd :yoshi:] best air mobility out of the cast...
Haha, yeah, true. But I kinda prefer jumping to dashing anyway, that's why I never had a problem with tripping in Brawl, as silly as it was.

Now that I think about it, I also like characters that can teleport: :ultzelda::ultpalutena::ultmewtwo:

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
Thoughts on the return vets and updated newcomer thoughts:

Returning Veterans: :ulticeclimbers::ultpokemontrainer::ultsnake::ultpichu::ultyounglink::ultwolf:

:ulticeclimbers:: Never really cared about the Climbers. Even though I was happy to see them back, I'll likely never pick them or play with them seriously. Maybe every now and then for fun. 5/10
:ultpokemontrainer:: Did not expect him to come back and how he was handled here, I was pleasantly surprised. In Brawl, I thought he was a mess of a character but here he looks like what he was to be. Hopefully all the Pokemon here are much more balanced this time around. 7/10
:ultsnake:
: Do I even need to say it? 10/10
:ultpichu:: Pretty much the character that said "Yeah, we serious, EVERYONE be back". Never cared for Pichu, but Pichu has had a charm as being the joke character. I won't play him seriously as of yet, but I'll pick him up for the lolz and fun. 6/10
:ultyounglink:: Honestly would have liked to have him stay instead of getting :ulttoonlink:, but eh he's back. Young Link was a kinda there addition for me since Melee, but I have no problem with him being back. Certainly prefer him over Toon Link. 7/10
:ultwolf:: No idea why he was removed from Smash 4 in the first place. Wolf was one of the best newcomers in Brawl and seeing him back made oh so very happy. 9/10

Newcomers: :ultinkling::ultdaisy::ultridley::ultsimon::ultrichter::ultchrom::ultdarksamus::ultkrool::ultisabelle:

:ultinkling:: Was practically guaranteed for this game. Splatoon is basically one of Nintendo's big boys now and not having the Inkling's playable would have a big WTF moment. I like Splatoon, I like the Inklings, no problems here. 8/10
:ultdaisy:
: Not a bad addition, but not someone I lost my mind when they revealed. I know Daisy was requested for a long time and I am glad for them. She's just not mind-blowing, to me at least. She's certainly not bad, I welcome her. 7/10
:ultridley:: Took 'em long enough. Should have been here long ago but I'm not complaining whatsoever that he's here. 9/10
:ultsimon:: Holy s#!$. He was one of my most wanted characters in this game and I got him. His trailer was magnificent and seeing Simon in Smash just felt like he was always here. I was oh so happy seeing him here and he'll likely end up being one of my most used characters. 10/10
:ultrichter:: Aside from the "Everyone is here", Richter is the only unexpected character so far and in all the right ways. Unfortunately, I didn't fully know who Richter was when he was shown alongside Simon. However, now that I'm much more caught up in Castlevania, especially with Rondo of Blood, I'm very happy he's here. 9/10
:ultchrom:: Probably the newcomer that made the happiest, even more than Simon. After being done so incredibly dirty in Smash 4 and made a laughing stock, seeing him playable in Ultimate alongside Snake and Simon makes me unbelievably happy. Chrom will be one of my most used characters in the game and will always get use. So far, my favorite newcomer, though Simon does come very close. 10/10.
:ultdarksamus:: Love me some Metroid and the more the merrier. Dark Samus is great and due to being an echo of Samus, she will get a lot of playtime. Still can't believe we have 4 Metroid reps. 9/10
:ultkrool:: While I'm happy to see him here and for all those who wanted him here for years, I didn't exactly lose my mind when he got revealed. The trailer was good, but I was mostly like "He's here. Cool!" but that's basically it. I do not dislike K Rool being here, not at all, he's a really good addition. He's kinda like Daisy for me. Glad he's here, but not losing my mind. 7/10
:ultisabelle:
: Probably my least favorite newcomer, but that doesn't make her bad. Thing is I am not a fan of Animal Crossing so when I saw her, I wasn't excited (though that's more the trailer being rather meh then her own) but I don't dislike Isabelle. Heck, I'd choose her over Villager any day. She just wasn't hype which for a fighting game, you kinda need to be. 6/10

MainJPW

M.T.A
So if Shadow is in he should totally have his quill brushing animation as one of his idle poses:

Zelda, Peach, Marth and Lucina all have hair brushing idle poses so I figured "hey...Shadow kinda does that."
Actually I was talking about the ghosts in Night of the Werehog animated short.
Just watched it again. Put that Ghost Girl in the games Sega.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom