• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
It probably isn't going to have any reveals or information. Since the bar thing, I've stopped expecting any info to come anywhere outside of Directs, and I think that is exactly the approach they're taking here. The fact that we need to spread this around and ask about it is indicative of how little exposure it'll get compared to a Nintendo Direct.
We probably won't get any reveals there, but our last Smash Direct announcment was at a tournament setting. And this one has Sakurai's direct blessing.

Either way it's a win win for me, because if we hear something before 11/3 or 11/4 I'll be pleasantly surprised. (Although if we have to wait even past then....oh no)

D

Deleted member

I answered the tweet by giving thanks to Sakurai for all his effort and for inspiring many developers.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion

In cases like these, I'm glad I have multiple mains. The least favorite of my mains, Corrin, is a worthy sacrifice for Phoenix Wright to be playable.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710

In cases like these, I'm glad I have multiple mains. The least favorite of my mains, Corrin, is a worthy sacrifice for Phoenix Wright to be playable.
Move over Corrin
Tap Trial Girl is gonna take your spot...
i wouldn't even care if Corrin got cut. if that means my most wanted character gets in

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I won't throw Varia Samus even if i get Crash by doing so.

If Crash joins, Samus must be there too, and not the Zero Suit version with non-canon boots and blaster-whip

I know that she uses the blaster in Zero Mission, but she never could make it a whip at all.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
So what's your favorite thing about your main or future main?

I would say what mine is, but it would be 700 pages long :yoshi:
:ultwario:: Bike tossing shenanigans
:ultdoc:: Mario but hits harder (plus he I love his black alt)
:ultyounglink:: Faster link and seems to retain (not a fan of the changes :ultlink: got)
:ultisabelle: She is just too adorable

Primal Cookie

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 2532 0420 7538

There isn’t really anyone that I’m dying to see in this game (my current #1 is Phoenix Wright), so congrats Shulk you’ve lived another day

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I won't throw Varia Samus even if i get Crash by doing so.

If Crash joins, Samus must be there too, and not the Zero Suit version with non-canon boots and blaster-whip

I know that she uses the blaster in Zero Mission, but she never could make it a whip at all.
Maybe it's just me but the only reason I would ever wish anything in Smash was explicitly 1-to-1 with canon without creative license is Olimar being very very very small.

I need that.

D

Deleted member

:ultwario:: Bike tossing shenanigans
:ultdoc:: Mario but hits harder (plus he I love his black alt)
:ultyounglink:: Faster link and seems to retain (not a fan of the changes :ultlink: got)
:ultisabelle: She is just too adorable
Seeing that Samus will still get many problems, i may main a character that i like and also stands fine with as many rivals as possible.

Maybe Megaman, Pac-Man or Canela/Isabelle.

I will still play as every Metroid rep, K.Rool and Simon Belmont, of course.

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
Reasons behind my favorite characters to play as, huh? Okay.

:ultness:: I love racking up damage on enemies with PK Fire and PK Thunder.
:ultjigglypuff:: Jumping about and unleashing aerial attacks like crazy feels so good.
:ultlucario:: Even if I'm taking a beating, it just means that I can hit harder.
:ultpacman:: His moves are just really fun to use.
:ultbowserjr:: Same as Pac-Man, plus I’ve wanted him in since Brawl's speculation phase.
:ultsonic:: gotta go fast
:ultkrool:: High weight, good mobility, projectiles, and a counter? Yes, please!
My top four favs and why I love using them.
:ultjigglypuff: It's always fun to troll with the balloon that's easy to underestimate plus it's always fun to get kills with the rest.

:ultdiddy: This cutie pie always gets me energized to play as, his acrobatic style is so much fun and I love how he mostly operates like he did in his own games.

:ultwolf: Wolves are my favorite animals, his feral fighting style is cool not to mention he had a smooth voice in Brawl. His b moves look really cool too.

:ultvillager: This little trouble maker has a very unorthodox move set that always makes me laugh and the pink hair girl reminds me of Strawberry which was been a dream to see a more dangerous version of her.

Honorable mentions that I love as well.

:ultluigi::ultmario: These two is what got me interested in Smash and I love their purple alt costumes.

:ultisabelle: Another delightful doll who's easy to underestimate to wreck havoc with.

:ultbowserjr: I'm a big fan of the Koopalings(usually picks Wendy for the chick inside me) plus their play style reminds me of Robotnik.

:ultbowser: Though I don't use heavyweights that much, Bowser is an exception since he's my favorite villain in video games.

:ulticeclimbers: A adorable pair that's full of interesting tricks together.

:ultinkling: I like her character design and it will be fun to get my opponents a nice paint job.

:ultfox::ultfalco: I've always liked using the Starfox group(though I didn't like how nerfed Falco was in 4) they always had a cool style of fighting plus I was a big fan of Starfox 64.

:ultrobin I always wanted a mage like character in Smash plus he's really fun to use and fight against.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352

I would gladly have done it back when Ridley wasn't in. Now though? No thanks. I don't think there's even a character they could add from now on that I'd be tempted to main, all of my favorite video game characters are already in, at best they could add someone who'd be 5th or 6th priority for me.

D

Deleted member

Maybe it's just me but the only reason I would ever wish anything in Smash was explicitly 1-to-1 with canon without creative license is Olimar being very very very small.

I need that.
Technically, you can do that by playing with the special smash mode settings.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Technically, you can do that by playing with the special smash mode settings.
I don't think can make him quite small enough. Even if he was as small as could be in the game and the other characters were as large as you could make them I think he'd still be a bit too big compared to canon

I could be remembering the size changes wrong though

Last edited:

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
My issue with Smash and trying to play somewhat competitive is that I want to main like half the roster. But, there are a few characters that are my favorites among the cast:

:ultpokemontrainer:: 3 characters in one, and one of the three is my favorite Pokemon? Automatic favorite character in the game. I love Charizard, but I am glad Charizard is part of the trio than a standalone character. Much more interesting and fun IMO.

:ultryu:: I actually didn't get into Street Fighter until I played Marvel vs Capcom 2 in the arcades. I saw Ryu and recognized him as "that karate dude." I could actually figure out his moves so I played him and Ken. Ryu is one of the more unique and fun characters in Smash and the SF inputs are super satisfying. I will have no reason to play Ryu when Ken is revealed.

:ultkrool:: Finally, my third most wanted character since Melee. I don't have much to say other than "finally."

:ultpichu:: The most OP character in Smash history. A must for tournament play.

Honorable mentions go to:
:ultmario::ultdoc::ultrichter::ultvillager::ultpeach:

Side note: :olimar: was hype as a newcomer in Brawl. Pikmin was a really fun game. Didn't care for his moveset but still.

D

Deleted member

I don't think can make him quite small enough. Even if he was as small as could be in the game and the other characters were as large as you could make them I think he'd still be a bit too big compared to canon

I could be remembering the size changes wrong though
Oh.

osby

Smash Obsessed

I'm don't want cutting Zelda or Jigglypuff or... well, anyone. We just got everyone back, I wouldn't change this even with my favourite characters.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero

I can't lose ROB...not even for another robot. ROB is too important and I love him so much. And I can't sacrifice Mr. Game And Watch for the same reasons...

Ness is tougher...but I have Lucas now. So maybe I'd sacrifice Ness for Marina or Phoenix. Maybe.

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
I can't lose ROB...not even for another robot. ROB is too important and I love him so much. And I can't sacrifice Mr. Game And Watch for the same reasons...

Ness is tougher...but I have Lucas now. So maybe I'd sacrifice Ness for Marina or Phoenix. Maybe.
Okay, never mind. If it meant sacrificing ROB, then I'd rather not go ahead with that. He's too precious. <3

Last edited:

SigmaMewtwo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SigmaMewtwo
3DS FC
4957-6442-1100
Switch FC
SW-7484-8678-9192

Honestly, "Everyone Is Here" was more exciting for me personally than even every other newcomer we've received, as this meant that nobody was getting cut this time around. I certainly know how it feels to have a favorite get cut from one game to another (see :ultmewtwo: from Brawl, and both :ultsnake: and :ultwolf: from 4), so I wouldn't wish to inflict that kind of pain onto someone else with having their own character(s) cut.

Part of what makes Ultimate special to me is the fact that everyone is indeed here, so no cuts from me!

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion

You know what, I have suddenly decided that I will add Wii Fit Trainer as my new main

I'm sorry Wii Fit Trainer but I am sacrificing you for my non-smash favorite character

osby

Smash Obsessed
You know what, I have suddenly decided that I will add Wii Fit Trainer as my new main

I'm sorry Wii Fit Trainer but I am sacrificing you for my non-smash favorite character
We can do that?!

I mean, have I ever mentioned how much I want to main Ridley?

Last edited:

Kooj Kooj

Smash Cadet

I am offended and hereby replace Puff with Geno.

(do I even need to /s?)

But yeah, if I was actually playing the game... I don't think I would drop Wii Fit for Geno. Despite wanting him for 3 games now, I can replace the "feel" of a Geno-esque character with just about any projectile zoner, realistically. Wii Fit is in a league of her own, I wouldn't feel like I could get the same feel out of another character, as much as I would like to.

domriver

Smash Lord
Whelp I'm changing my vote at the top of this thread. This practically confirms for me that we will probably hear about a final direct there, and October will be passed over like July.

Unless someone can point to Sakurai retweeting anything of the past Nintendo Events in Japan (there were a couple over the summer that lead to nothing). I'm pretty sure he didn't though.

It's a bit further out than I'd like but at least I have an idea of when to look forward to! (Please God let it be the 11/3 & 11/4 dates...11/23 and 11/24 would be too late and too close to release right?...right?)
the 23rd and 24th date seem a bit far to late only because of the fear of leaks will be rampant he will NOT beat the leakers i promise you. If he wants to beat them literally NOW till Nov 2nd. IMO a direct has to happen.

He is a great example of a passionate developer, and made Nintendo better back when he worked with Iwata.
That and i hope Nintendo is paying him very well. ( he hasn't jumped ship yet since this will be the the 5/6th iteration of smash.) ;P

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I mean, if anybody got rid of their main, then they couldn’t do “Everyone is here!” Which wouldn’t have made this game as hype as it is thus far.

I wouldn’t trade anybody for any other character.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom