• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master

hmm the dude who leaked that the game has gone gold just retweeted this video about Sonic 2. Tails confirmed?

/s maybe, maybe not
I'd hate to be a leaker, authorized or not--I wouldn't be able to share anything or do other projects without it being seen as a hint. :rotfl:

(I notice the /s and want Tails too, just a tangential observation)

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Am gonna assume no Direct this month? Seems like a November Direct will be the last time we're gonna see newcomers. Not feeling too confident in any character right now to be honest, maybe a slight edge for Isaac, but other than that? I really have no idea who or what to expect anymore.

beans

Smash Lord
Man, October is going to be a sucky month
Also why is october the tenth month?
Shouldnt it be the eight?

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
It was originally, but then they made the year start in January instead of March...
Sep in September, and Dec in December making sense now?

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Also I agree with @TotsBS , this is going to unintentionally put a dent in Let's Go's marketing.
It's Pokemon. I don't think Nintendo or TPC are particularly worried about a single game taking too much attention away.

Besides, one game comes out in November, the other in December. Smash doesn't have those Black Friday sales, so NOT wanting to market it in November would be all sorts of stupid.

Michele

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4494-7438-0796
Wait a minute, I want you to confirm my theory. I want to check Twitter but I can't right now. Can anyone do me a favor and see if Sakurai retweeted that Live event? Because when Sakurai tweets something else it usually means that something Smash is happening.

Last edited:

Drakonix

Smash Cadet
Random idea for a future smash direct. Because of how crazy people are when analyzing Sakurai's surroundings, they should put the man in a green screen room so that every time he appears on screen he is in a completely random non-related location. I'd love to see what they'd come up with XD

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Man, October is going to be a sucky month
It was but then two different Roman emperors (Julius and Augustus) decided they needed months dedicated to themselves and ruined everything.

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
Been seeing a bit of a pattern in the way people predict directs by considering that:
There isn't many months left before release
Everything might get leaked soon
They still haven't talked about spirits yet
The next direct would have to be a big one

But I think it's also important to consider:
The whole roster may have ALREADY been leaked (in bits n pieces)
Spirits may not be as huge of a gamemode as people are anticipating
We may just get a 50 fact thing with a couple more newcomers and leave it at that

amazonevan19

Smash Ace
Wait a minute, I want you to confirm my theory. I want to check Twitter but I can't right now. Can anyone do me a favor and see if Sakurai retweeted that Live event? Because when Sakurai tweets something else it usually means that something Smash is happening.

4 hours ago, yup

Michele

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4494-7438-0796

4 hours ago, yup
Yay...Hmm, this seems to indicate that something special may be happening. I mean, when there is a special something happening like a new character or sort of like it, Sakurai would retweet it. This would be a hint at a upcoming Direct but I'm not getting my hopes up.

amazonevan19

Smash Ace
Yay...Hmm, this seems to indicate that something special may be happening. I mean, when there is a special something happening like a new character or sort of like it, Sakurai would retweet it. This would be a hint at a upcoming Direct but I'm not getting my hopes up.
Perhaps the direct will be coming November 3rd or 4th then (the dates of the event). Which would be nice seeing as my birthday is on the 4th.

I'd obviously prefer a direct next week/sooner rather than later but if the blowout must be first week of November, I can wait for that. It makes sense given the event that's happening.

If there's STILL nothing after the event...I'll start getting salty

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
Did anyone read the translation? He retweeted it because apparently they have an Ultimate demo there, too, and he was mentioning the time it would be available. I don't think this is anything significant.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Random idea for a future smash direct. Because of how crazy people are when analyzing Sakurai's surroundings, they should put the man in a green screen room so that every time he appears on screen he is in a completely random non-related location. I'd love to see what they'd come up with XD
Green screen? Yoshi is also green. And random and non-related? Boshi is also random and unrelated to Ultimate.

Boshi is confirmed for playable!

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Been seeing a bit of a pattern in the way people predict directs by considering that:
There isn't many months left before release
Everything might get leaked soon
They still haven't talked about spirits yet
The next direct would have to be a big one

But I think it's also important to consider:
The whole roster may have ALREADY been leaked (in bits n pieces)
Spirits may not be as huge of a gamemode as people are anticipating
We may just get a 50 fact thing with a couple more newcomers and leave it at that
Just a 50 fact thing? A 50 fact thing would be awesome!

The 50 fact thing was so so for Wii U because we already had the 3DS version and knew most of the game modes. We still don't know stuff about Ultimate so a 50 fact format would be useful. I personally don't think we will get one though because I think we will have a good chunk of the video spent on Spirits.

Did anyone read the translation? He retweeted it because apparently they have an Ultimate demo there, too, and he was mentioning the time it would be available. I don't think this is anything significant.
While it could be insignificant, he's never retweeted any of the other Nintendo hosted events, even the ones in Japan over the summer. Plus with the game releasing in a month around that time a direct has to come eventually.

Last edited:

amazonevan19

Smash Ace
Yes, I read it.

We're just hypothesizing/hoping that something will happen there.

Whenever Sakurai tweets, it's usually important. Last time he tweeted until now was after the Isabelle reveal.

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
Just a 50 fact thing? A 50 fact thing would be awesome!

The 50 fact thing was so so for Wii U because we already had the 3DS version and knew most of the game modes. We still don't know stuff about Ultimate so a 50 fact format would be useful. I personally don't think we will get one though because I think we will have a good chunk of the video spent on Spirits.
Again, important to consider spirits may not be as big as everyone is anticipating

Last edited:

Yoshisaurus Rex

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-1023-7514-9432
If we are getting something from this, likely a direct, it should be on November 1st or 2nd. The latter date is when the bundle is being released. Anything after that is entering the danger-zone imo.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Again, important to consider spirits as big as everyone is anticipating
I'm dying to found out what Spirits is. It's certainly bigger than Melee's Adventure Time but not as big as Brawl's.

Something along the lines of Smash Run sounds more plausible but what Boss fights have to do with any of this? If they have?

I just need to know what it is, at this point, I'm more curious about that than remaining newcomers.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I loved Smash Run and wished there was some kind of unlimited mode or something. I just liked running around beating up classic enemies and powering up. That was a good time.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
If we are getting something from this, likely a direct, it should be on November 1st or 2nd. The latter date is when the bundle is being released. Anything after that is entering the danger-zone imo.
The bundles not shipping with the game, though, just a download code for when it does eventually release. I do agree November's a danger zone for leaks, especially if the game's gone gold, but it won't be because of the bundle.

I'm dying to found out what Spirits is. It's certainly bigger than Melee's Adventure Time but not as big as Brawl's.

Something along the lines of Smash Run sounds more plausible but what Boss fights have to do with any of this? If they have?

I just need to know what it is, at this point, I'm more curious about that than remaining newcomers.
It would be strange if it was kept secret if it was a Smash 4 mode. I think it's either new, or could be a story mode as everybody initially thought (as Sakurai would probably know blurring the mode would have that effect).

Last edited:

TheAJJohnson

Smash Journeyman

In cases like these, I'm glad I have multiple mains. The least favorite of my mains, Corrin, is a worthy sacrifice for Phoenix Wright to be playable.
Well if there flexibility with what constitutes a main...I'm in! I'll drop two: Sonic for Shadow (haha) and Mr. G&W for Isaac.

If there is not flexibility...definitely out. I can't get rid of two biggest mains: Mario and Mewtwo.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Again, important to consider spirits may not be as big as everyone is anticipating
If Spirits turns out to be some dinky mini-game i'm gonna be surprised.
If by not as big you mean Subspace 2, then sure. But at this point hyping up a mode for several months to be a minigame like Smash Tour would be a huge mistake.

Sakurai teased it on purpose. However I totally agree in not expecting it to be a story mode. If it is I'd be very surprised.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
This has also probably been brought up but back in the days of Melee speculation one thing a lot of us wanted was a tailored classic mode that ended in a boss fight against a character's rival (Mario vs. Bowser, etc.).

We would eventually get Adventure Mode which was super cool but not exactly it.

Now we know that bosses are appearing in the game and that Classic is tailored to each fighter...

Could the bosses be showing up in Classic before Master Hand as well as in the new mode? Hmm.

Last edited:

Yoshisaurus Rex

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-1023-7514-9432
The bundles not shipping with the game, though, just a download code for when it does eventually release. I do agree November's a danger zone for leaks, especially if the game's gone gold, but it won't be because of the bundle.
Even so, it would be nice to have the last bits of info on the game before the bundle releases, you know?

osby

Smash Obsessed
It would be strange if it was kept secret if it was a Smash 4 mode. I think it's either new, or could be a story mode as everybody initially thought (as Sakurai would probably know blurring the mode would have that effect).
Yeah, sure, it's certain it'll be a new thing but it's hard to say how ambitious it will be. Melee just did a reskinned Classic Mode, Subspace Emissary was a bit too ambitious for game's own good. Smash Run was more grounded so we can get a mode with similar scope, not similar mechanics.

Also, just because something is trased doesn't mean it will deliver an obvious message *ahemRidley'sshadowahem*

TheAJJohnson

Smash Journeyman
What about, we sacrifice nobody, and allow the Smash community to main whoever they damn well choose. :)
Wow...you're so brave. /s

You completely missed the point of his post. It's just a hypothetical comment meant to stir up conversation. You don't win points by belittling him for wanting to have an engaging conversation.

Wiziliz

Smash Journeyman

In cases like these, I'm glad I have multiple mains. The least favorite of my mains, Corrin, is a worthy sacrifice for Phoenix Wright to be playable.
What if it's an old main? I could say goodbye to Marth. Banjo-Kazooie would be a great replacement, and there'd still be the slightly less good Lucina around.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
I've see some people mention Spirits as a boss rush mode and honestly, I can't see there being a section on the main menu as big as "Smash" just for boss rush. I think there has to be a melee-esque adventure mode tie in.

I may be wrong but that's my realistic wish.

Also, just because something is trased doesn't mean it will deliver an obvious message *ahemRidley'sshadowahem*
Gotta say, as a Ridley fan who regrets chosing to be so blind, these teases aren't at all comparable.

Ridley's shadow was shown immediately after talking about stage bosses, on a stage where it would make sense for him to be a boss. The Ridley fan base was just choosing to be ignorant.

This was Sakurai flat out teasing a mode and going HMMmmMMmMMM what's this oops can't talk about it just yet :troll:. Like I said while I'm not expecting a story mode, I think it's fair to be dissapointed if it's Smash Tour 2 lol

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom