• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
While your statement is true, I believe that if we have to have cuts (and I don’t think we do but whatever) characters like Ike and Lucario are on the chopping block. Sure they have “unique” gameplay, but a new character could always do the same thing but better. And while legacy is definitely important, Ike and Lucario just aren’t that big in the grand scheme of Nintendo or Smash. I really don’t think this sheild of iconography extends beyond characters from Melee or 64.
Er, Lucario isn't the best example, at least from a general perspective. He is one of Pokemon's biggest mainstays and has had a constant presence since his debut back in 2005, appearing consistently in the games, anime, movies and merchandising. Hell, he managed to get into the Super Bowl commercial celebrating the series' 20th anniversary, being the only non-Gen 1 Pokemon to do so.

You can argue whether or not its popular as a Smash character as he's been polarizing (mostly for something that wasn't even its fault), but as a Nintendo character he's probably higher then the most of the current Smash cast.

D

Deleted member

Give me more Fire Emblem, give me more Pokemon. As long as they're interesting I don't even care.
Smash has got me into a LOT of games that I normally wouldn't try simply because I saw a character and thought their moveset and appearance looked interesting.

The ONLY reason I bought Xenoblade 2 is because I mained Shulk in Sm4sh, and now Xenoblade is one of my favorite series of all time.

The ONLY reason I got Kid Icarus Uprising is because of Pit in Brawl.

The ONLY reason I've ordered Samus Returns and a New 3DS is because Samus in Smash is cool as heck.

And the ONLY reason I'm also probably gonna end up picking up FE Awakening for that 3DS is because I like Chrom and Lucina in Smash (Robin's cool too)

If they're interesting, then it's a win in my book. I don't even care about fanmade conceptions on which series has too many or too little. I just want fun characters in the game.

Last edited by a moderator:

SnakeFighter64

Pranked!
Er, Lucario isn't the best example, at least from a general perspective. He is one of Pokemon's biggest mainstays and has had a constant presence since his debut back in 2005, appearing consistently in the games, anime, movies and merchandising. Hell, he managed to get into the Super Bowl commercial celebrating the series' 20th anniversary, being the only non-Gen 1 Pokemon to do so.

You can argue whether or not its popular as a Smash character as he's been polarizing (mostly for something that wasn't even its fault), but as a Nintendo character he's probably higher then the most of the current Smash cast.
Oh. The more you know.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Fire Emblem is cool. And obviously it has more characters that would make awesome Smash characters (Medeus please!!!). But the other franchises need to balance it out. It felt like we had a lot in 4 because so many franchises that have been super important for years had like, nobody (Donkey Kong and Metroid at 2 characters each was a crime).
I think of it less as "The more reps you have, the bigger franchise you are", and more so "this franchise has a lot of potential movesets to choose from"

Sakurai usually likes choosing character based on their moveset potential...

Two perfect examples I can give are:ultrosalina: and :ultincineroar:. When revealed, both were reviled from the community because they weren't highly requested, and were yet another Mario/Pokemon character... Yet Sakurai has said the reason he chose these two, was moveset potential. Sakurai saw Rosalina and Luma, and thought of the concept of a puppet fighter, while Incineroar was chosen because Sakurai saw potential in a wrestling moveset...

Imo, at the end of the day, the amount of reps, doesn't matter, if anything the amount of reps just show how much potential there is to pull from.
And if we're being honest, choosing characters because "this franchise needs more", usually opens up to unoriginal and uninteresting movesets, when there are other characters that have way more potential...

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

inb4 "but Yoshi debuted in Mario!!!!!"

Like by that logic Mario should be in Donkey Kong's series in Smash lmao
I know, right?!

Oh, by the way, I just got the "Friends With Everyone" trophy! Thanks for 2,500 likes, everyone! :3

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
taking a dark turn here on smashboards, the website about super smash brothers

also don't wish sexual assault on people what the **** is wrong with you
First of all it was clearly 4kids.

Second holy **** what the **** is wrong with you, what made you into this vile person? Get help
People really care about Net Neutrality. It being gone is a very dangerous prospect for the entire internet.
Net Neutrality is an extension of freedom of expression, which is a critical safeguard against abuse of power. Plus, I despise corporate powerbrokers screwing over customers and employees to make more money, which is exactly what is on the verge of happening if the repeal of Net Neutrality is allowed to stick. And if Net Neutrality is reinstated (which is quite likely to happen, given all the grassroots movements pushing Congress to undo Ajit Pai's repeal), it won't be enforced if Ajit Pai is allowed to remain in charge of the FCC, so he needs to be stripped of every last ounce of his power and influence ASAP before he can compromise the American Constitution any more than he already has. I highly doubt China, North Korea, Iran, and other human-rights dumpster fires have Net Neutrality...

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238

I can't speak for everyone, but I've always seen Lucario as "that one character who nobody plays as but is so iconic and popular to his series that you'd never suggest cutting him in a future Smash game".

Masked Marshmallow

Smash Lord
If there's something I like more than a cool character from a series I know getting in Smash, its a cool character from a series I don't know getting in Smash. Being introduced to new series is always a delight.

D

Deleted member

Net Neutrality is an extension of freedom of expression, which is a critical safeguard against abuse of power. Plus, I despise corporate powerbrokers screwing over customers and employees to make more money, which is exactly what is on the verge of happening if the repeal of Net Neutrality is allowed to stick. And if Net Neutrality is reinstated (which is quite likely to happen, given all the grassroots movements pushing Congress to undo Ajit Pai's repeal), it won't be enforced if Ajit Pai is allowed to remain in charge of the FCC, so he needs to be stripped of every last ounce of his power and influence ASAP before he can compromise the American Constitution any more than he already has. I highly doubt China, North Korea, Iran, and other human-rights dumpster fires have Net Neutrality...
bro net neutrality is an issue but not a large enough issue to show off dog-whistle homophobia and also wish **** onto somebody

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Your stance on net neutrality isn't what people were disgusted at...

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
bro net neutrality is an issue but not a large enough issue to show off dog-whistle homophobia and also wish **** onto somebody
I’m not homophobic in the least, I just want something extremely unpleasant to happen to Ajit Pai. Considering that he'll gleefully send the 99%'s quality of life down the ****ter to line the pockets of his corporate overlords, he absolutely deserves it.

D

Deleted member

The Article 13 scandal is more important than Net Neutrality at the moment, imo. We should stand against it these days.
And no, i’m not British. Brexit won’t change anything for me in regards to that.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
If there's something I like more than a cool character from a series I know getting in Smash, its a cool character from a series I don't know getting in Smash. Being introduced to new series is always a delight.
Same here, I got interested in Pokemon, and got introduced to Zelda, Mega Man, and Kirby thanks to Smash...
We aren't here to talk about political topics

We're here to talk Smash Bros

So let's drop this conversation before it gets too out of hand

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

If Article 13 doesn’t get approved, i will be excited to see all the Little Shop of Horrors parodies online done with Piranha Plant gameplay.

Roberk

Smash Champion
Wow guys remember that time all of the Nintendo characters and iconic third parties got together in a party game to celebrate gaming history with tried and true platformer fighting? Wow, that was fun, I wish there was a place where we could talk about that and only that.

D

Deleted member

Wow guys remember that time all of the Nintendo characters and iconic third parties got together in a party game to celebrate gaming history with tried and true platformer fighting? Wow, that was fun, I wish there was a place where we could talk about that and only that.
Sorry, this thread is used for the production of the Little Shop Of Horrors musical starring Piranha Plant.

You can join the casting for some of the roles, doh,

D

Deleted member

We need a direct announcement pronto!
I need these things:

>New UA3 trailer featuring the Fantastic Four and some of the modes in the game.
>The Fantastic Four update for Spidey PS4.
>CTR Nitro Fueled.
>Nintendo Direct.
>Piranha Plant release.
>K.Rool amiibo.
>Godzilla King Of The Monsters.
>Some figures of Ghidorah, Mothra and Rodan.
>Dark Samus amiibo.
>Article 13 not getting approved.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Same here, I got interested in Pokemon, and got introduced to Zelda, Mega Man, and Kirby thanks to Smash...

We aren't here to talk about political topics

We're here to talk Smash Bros

So let's drop this conversation before it gets too out of hand
Thank you
Agreed.
Net Neutrality? In my Smashboards?

It's more likely than you think.

Free PC check!
Hey, if Net Neutrality is killed, this site could end up as a casualty.
Uh Oh politics! Better break the glass.

What the actual **** is that?!:eek:
Don't we have political sub-forums for political talk? Any further Net Neutrality discussion ought to go there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom