• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ultomato

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW 1995 0060 1138
I thought Brass and Coyle were in the base game but didn't become playable until DLC
Brass was the Final Boss who became playable through DLC. Coyle is Just DLC but her lore ties her to the base game more heavily than any other DLC character.

D

Deleted member

That makes Max Brass and Helix the most likely reps (there won't be any, but in theory), since Springman and Ribbongirl are already repped
I guess... I JUST WISH YOU WOULD STOP TYPING SPRING MAN AND RIBBON GIRL AS 1 WORD EACH >:[

Sorry to change the subject, but I wonder what this week's Spirit Board event is gonna be...?

Yoshisaurus Rex

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-1023-7514-9432
MRW playing Quickplay and getting sucked into a normal Pac-Land stage with items on:

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I’m not really confident in any lists of cuts considering the next Smash is likely many, many years from now. The Switch is going to have a rather long lifespan, or so I would think, so I doubt that the next Smash would be on the table for several years.

That said, cuts based on home series factors seems to miss the point. It dismisses factors that Sakurai considers for characters like, for example, Cloud. He said at one point that Cloud was created the way he was because they figured a lot of people would flock to the character. If they made him hard to play, he’d be hard to play for a LOT of people.

Similarly, cutting so many characters just because they’re “outdated” or “not relevant” is silly when the basis of the game itself is...gameplay. Are they fun? Are they popular within Smash? How long were they in Smash for? How many fans do they have? How different are they from the rest of the roster? What do we lose?

For example, cutting Ike is one of the biggest mistakes I think i’ve ever seen. He’s popular, is unique (the only heavy swordsman) and is a popular pick in Smash.

If you’re going to make cuts, starting with the criteria of “what’s relevant” will make this game weaker in design, similar to the reasons why PSASBR ultimately failed. They went with the more recent icons rather than the tenured ones (mainly because they couldn’t get the rights). That can hurt.

Gameplay, gameplay, gameplay. It’s the most important part!

KMDP

Smash Legend
MRW playing Quickplay and getting sucked into a normal Pac-Land stage with items on:
This made my day. :laugh:
I’m not really confident in any lists of cuts considering the next Smash is likely many, many years from now. The Switch is going to have a rather long lifespan, or so I would think, so I doubt that the next Smash would be on the table for several years.

That said, cuts based on home series factors seems to miss the point. It dismisses factors that Sakurai considers for characters like, for example, Cloud. He said at one point that Cloud was created the way he was because they figured a lot of people would flock to the character. If they made him hard to play, he’d be hard to play for a LOT of people.

Similarly, cutting so many characters just because they’re “outdated” or “not relevant” is silly when the basis of the game itself is...gameplay. Are they fun? Are they popular within Smash? How long were they in Smash for? How many fans do they have? How different are they from the rest of the roster? What do we lose?

For example, cutting Ike is one of the biggest mistakes I think i’ve ever seen. He’s popular, is unique (the only heavy swordsman) and is a popular pick in Smash.

If you’re going to make cuts, starting with the criteria of “what’s relevant” will make this game weaker in design, similar to the reasons why PSASBR ultimately failed. They went with the more recent icons rather than the tenured ones (mainly because they couldn’t get the rights). That can hurt.

Ike is the most popular Fire Emblem character alongside Lyn, he's probably here to stay.

Where's Lyn, Sakurai?

Pakky

Smash Hero
I just want to see more from the series. Lyn would be a good choice.

Also I want more Zelda characters.

Thicc Impa please.

Last edited:

Pakky

Smash Hero
More Pokémon

More Wario, less F-zero (lol)

Seriously though I want more F-Zero since they'd all be OCs pretty much.

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Pranked!

While your statement is true, I believe that if we have to have cuts (and I don’t think we do but whatever) characters like Ike and Lucario are on the chopping block. Sure they have “unique” gameplay, but a new character could always do the same thing but better. And while legacy is definitely important, Ike and Lucario just aren’t that big in the grand scheme of Nintendo or Smash. I really don’t think this sheild of iconography extends beyond characters from Melee or 64.

KMDP

Smash Legend
There's a 50% Chance that she'd be another Marth semiclone
and we do not want that
Oh yeah.

She'd play like Marth.

Totally.

A Marth Semi-Clone in the making.

Because one wields a Katana the same way one does a Rapier, amirite?
I'm about 50% saying this in jest.

D

Deleted member

Oh yeah.

She'd play like Marth.

Totally.

Okay look
I'm sorry

Pakky

Smash Hero
Oh yeah.

She'd play like Marth.

Totally.

She uses arrows?

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Samurai and archer. Nice!

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
You can't say "we have too many characters from ______" and then immediately advocate for a character from a children's toy commercial.

Roberk

Smash Champion
Oh yeah.

She'd play like Marth.

Totally.

She could maybe even replace the standard sword user fair with a Villager bair/fair esque projectile (like how in some animations she fires a bow in the air). The bow plus katana gameplay plus mobility/utility moves (illusions, dashing, etc.) could go a long way in making her feel unique.

SnakeFighter64

Pranked!
Fire Emblem is cool. And obviously it has more characters that would make awesome Smash characters (Medeus please!!!). But the other franchises need to balance it out. It felt like we had a lot in 4 because so many franchises that have been super important for years had like, nobody (Donkey Kong and Metroid at 2 characters each was a crime). So sure. Bring in tons more of Fire Emblem’s best! Celica, Lynn, Medeus.... Leif? Soren? IDK. But also bring in tons of other characters from all the other franchises. I don’t have a problem with new Fire Emblem characters, I have a problem with ONLY Fire Emblem characters.

Last edited:

Pakky

Smash Hero
Give me more Fire Emblem, give me more Pokemon. As long as they're interesting I don't even care.
My first child for more Wario characters, but hold the Ware, GIVE ME LAND GOD DAMN IT.

Ashely is the homie so she's cool I just want Captain Syrup with her Genie STAND

Last edited:

Masked Marshmallow

Smash Lord
The problem isn't that we have "too many Fire Emblem characters", the problem is that the some series get way more reps than others.
People wouldn't be complaining about FE characters if other series got more love.

D

Deleted member

The problem isn't that we have "too many Fire Emblem characters", the problem is that the some series get way more reps than others.
People wouldn't be complaining about FE characters if other series got more love.
YOU LITTLE ****ING ***** GET YOSHI AND WARIO OUT OF THE MARIO SERIES

KMDP

Smash Legend
Okay look
I'm sorry
You needed schooling in the ways of the Lorca (Lyn's tribe).
She uses arrows?

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Samurai and archer. Nice!
Yes, she uses arrows in her promoted class.
She could maybe even replace the standard sword user fair with a Villager bair/fair esque projectile (like how in some animations she fires a bow in the air). The bow plus katana gameplay plus mobility/utility moves (illusions, dashing, etc.) could go a long way in making her feel unique.
I imagine her as a very mobile character.

Also, let's face it, she'd have a Counter; but that counter would be more like Lucario and Greninja's than Marth and Ike's, and would therefore be awesome.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom