• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SnakeFighter64

Pranked!
OMG, the Smash 4 days... that takes me back. I went on the computer in the classroom every day at lunch, and I remember running to the back of the classroom to tell my best friend when :ultrosalina: was announced... after all, that was the first time a Newcomer was announced since E3, so it was the first time I was there to witness it on reveal day... :3
I got into Smash 4 too late for main roster hype, but I was there for the DLC. I remember thinking I had it figured out after Ryu and then Cloud, Corrin, and Bayonetta happened.

Then I was certain there was gonna be a season 2 of DLC content. Why wouldn’t there be. There’s only one Smash game per system so why not keep supporting it till the end of the console cycle. Well, I guess that’s kind of what they did when you think about it.

Also my ballot votes went to Snake, Dig Dug, and Scorpion. Don’t judge me.

Yes it was
But it was also really ****ing stressful. I mean, we all knew he was coming back, but it was just plain wrong that :ultyoshi: wasn't confirmed until April 2014...

Honestly, I never really felt the rush of getting one of my most wanteds until :ultkrool: showed up in Ultimate, heh.
And then there was :ultisabelle:
I literally screamed "YES! HOLY **** YES!" when she was announced lol
That’s why I’m glad all the vets got confirmed at once. I know it’s a little different because of the whole Everyone is Here gimmick, but just instantly knowing all of your old favorites were back Meade anticipating newcomers all the more exciting.

Last edited:

MainJPW

M.T.A
I specifically remember one day, around E3 time, I left the browser on the Smash site overnight, and then I came back to it, clicked something, and bam! :ultpacman: showed up... And assuming he was one of my most wanteds at the time, I freaked out...
A lot of us who were following social media during E3 had actually heard about Pac-Man from Tweets from people who were at the developer round table. It was a tweet from Gamexplain that I had seen in the E3 speculation thread and everyone was freaking out it was amazing.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
This is the same FCC that Ajit Pai has been running into the ground, right? Personally, I hope that smarmy git gets investigated, tried, found guilty, and thrown in jail to share a cell with a large, violent homosexual who doesn't take "no" for an answer.

Again, are we talking about Ajit Pai here? The same Ajit Pai who's trying to enable Comcast and Verizon to literally throttle the Internet?
First of all it was clearly 4kids.

Second holy **** what the **** is wrong with you, what made you into this vile person? Get help

KMDP

Smash Legend
Regarding cuts, the way I see it is that there are multiple tiers of "cutability".

There are the characters who are always safe; Mario, Link, Donkey Kong, Pikachu, what have you. Yoshi is among this group.
There are characters who are probably here to stay because they're easy to make, such as Lucina.
There are characters who are on thin ice, who get by due to outside factors, such as Jigglypuff and Ness. One could consider the flavour-of-the-month characters (for example: Ike and Lucario) to be in this tier.
There are the third parties, who are dependent on negotiations.
Then there are the characters who are demonstrably cutable, like Young Link, Pichu and Wolf.

Something would have to go seriously wrong for Yoshi to be cut from Smash Bros., worrying about Jigglypuff, Ness and Captain Falcon is a lot more understandable.

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Pranked!
Regarding cuts, the way I see it is that there are multiple tiers of "cutability".

There are the characters who are always safe; Mario, Link, Donkey Kong, Pikachu, what have you. Yoshi is among this group.
There are characters who are probably here to stay because they're easy to make, such as Lucina.
There are characters who are on thin ice, who get by due to outside factors, such as Jigglypuff and Ness. One could consider the flavour-of-the-month characters (for example: Ike and Lucario) to be in this tier.
Then there are the characters who are demonstrably cutable, like Young Link, Pichu and Wolf.

Something would have to go seriously wrong for Yoshi to be cut from Smash Bros., worrying about Jigglypuff, Ness and Captain Falcon is a lot more understandable.
After one Smash with no cuts, I don’t think we can ever have cuts ever again.

Masked Marshmallow

Smash Lord

I believe the only characters safe from being cut are the original 12.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
So I haven't been here in a while... Any topics I should be aware of or something? o: Hopefully one I can finally contribute to?

D

Deleted member

As I said, we all knew he was coming back. It just wasn't right that he wasn't confirmed until April.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352

I don't think anyone should be worrying about Captain Falcon anytime soon, F-Zero is pretty dead, but he's crazy popular in Smash, especially among casuals. When discussing cuts I feel like there's too much focus on how important a character is in their core series, and not enough on how important that character is to Smash, the latter is actually far more important than the former, hence why Jigglypuff has never gotten the axe.

Last edited:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
I don't think anyone should be worrying about Captain Falcon anytime soon, F-Zero is pretty dead, but he's crazy popular in Smash, especially among casuals. When discussing cuts I feel like there's too much focus on how important a character is in their core series, and not enough on how important that character is to Smash, the latter is actually far more important than the former, hence why Jigglypuff has never gotten the axe.
Captain Falcon is basically a Smash OC at this point...
A lot of Falcon's personality and his moveset, including the infamous Falcon Punch, all originate from Smash

Cutting him would make Smash lose a lot of it's charm

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
After one Smash with no cuts, I don’t think we can ever have cuts ever again.
And then the next Smash comes out during the next Console Generation and...
:ultbowserjr::ultrosalina::ultpiranha::ultyounglink::ultwolf::ultridley::ultjigglypuff::ultpichu::ultlucario::ultsquirtle::ultivysaur::ultgreninja::ultincineroar::ultness::ultlucas::ultfalcon::ultroy::ultchrom::ultike::ultrobin::ultcorrin::ultpalutena::ultwiifittrainer::ultlittlemac::ultshulk: and all the Third Parties
...are all gone from the roster.
There's actually reasoning behind this list, by the way.
I believe the only characters safe from being cut are the original 12.
Jigglypuff has consistently been low priority, though. She might have even been cut from Brawl had the game not been delayed for Sonic. Additionally, Ness was almost replaced with Lucas in Melee.
This is true. Though in Jiggs' case I refer to my previous statement, she's been very close to being cut in the past.

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Pranked!
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Regular old knockback feels so weird now, my brother and I briefly went back to Melee, and we had so many "wow, I actually died from that?" moments because of it, it's like you're just floating into outer space. Not having the shorthop attack shortcut anymore also took a lot of getting used to.

A lot of the changes in Ultimate I already liked before it came out, but going back to previous games now really makes me realize how huge an improvement they really were.
That’s exactly how it’s like compared to Ultimate. Was as if they were all fighting underwater most of the time

Pakky

Smash Hero
Is this your way of saying you want Twintelle in the next Smash installment?
That's Pakky Pakky for ya...
Yes :3

Though if ARMS gets in (I think they'll be a ARMS2 on the Switch, 'Hehehe 2 ARMS' ) It'll probably be Spring and Ribbon who get first pickings.

Though I would like it if there were four guys from ARMS but that's not happening.

Last edited:

Masked Marshmallow

Smash Lord
Captain Falcon is basically a Smash OC at this point...
A lot of Falcon's personality and his moveset, including the infamous Falcon Punch, all originate from Smash

Cutting him would make Smash lose a lot of it's charm
Now that you mentioned it, I kinda want another Smash OC. I just want to see Sakurai's creativity giving birth to a new memelord character.

KMDP

Smash Legend
How I'm picturing Pakky right now: Link (Language warning, I guess)
Though if ARMS gets in (I think they'll be a ARMS2 on the Switch, 'Hehehe 2 ARMS' ) It'll probably be Spring and Ribbon who get first pickings.

Though I would like it if there were four guys from ARMS but that's not happening.
You missed the chance to say "A2MS", Pakky. I am disappoint.

Last edited:

Ultomato

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW 1995 0060 1138
Yes :3

Is it strange to suggest Helix represents the series best?

Pakky

Smash Hero
From what I gather about the lore the most important characters are

Springman

Ribbon Girl

Max Brass

Dr. Coyle

-----

Who I would want

Twintelle/Min Min

Springman

Max Brass/Lola Pop

Dr. Coyle/Ribbon Girl

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I was surprised that ARMs didn't get a character in Smash. I know it's brand new and wasn't as popular as Splatoon was when it launched, but so far, Smash Ultimate doesn't have a character who made their debut on Switch yet.

Are there any others that came from good, recognizable Switch games that could make it in?

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
I was surprised that ARMs didn't get a character in Smash. I know it's brand new and wasn't as popular as Splatoon was when it launched, but so far, Smash Ultimate doesn't have a character who made their debut on Switch yet.

Are there any others that came from good, recognizable Switch games that could make it in?
Just wait, The Daemon X Machina Guy will be the promotional DLC character

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

A Gen 8 Pokemon is really the only Switch-Debut character that has a chance for Ultimate lol
Oh, and also, someone did this:
There was a problem fetching the tweet
So, naturally, I did this:
Sora Selfie.png

D

Deleted member

A Gen 8 Pokemon is really the only Switch-Debut character that has a chance for Ultimate lol
Oh, and also, someone did this:
There was a problem fetching the tweet
So, naturally, I did this:
View attachment 186883
You need to delete this post, create alt accounts on every forum you know of, then spread this as 'rumored DLC'.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ultomato

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW 1995 0060 1138
From what I gather about the lore the most important characters are

Springman

Ribbon Girl

Max Brass

Dr. Coyle

-----

Who I would want

Twintelle/Min Min

Springman

Max Brass/Lola Pop

Dr. Coyle/Ribbon Girl
But Brass, Coyle and Pop are DLC.
Also, Helix has some interesting Lore too.

D

Deleted member

You need to delete this post, create alt accounts on every forum you know of, then spread this as 'rumored DLC'.
Also, as far as a Gen 8 goes of. You have a point. It supposed to release 2019 and the last time we had a mainline game releasing within the year, the first bit of info came in early January of that year. With DLC going throughout the year, it's very possible that one of the early designs may have been given to Sakurai/Nintendo and they can cross-promote not only new Smash DLC, but the brand new, highly anticipated Gen 8.

This is to be the first main-line console generation ever, there is a LOT of anticipation for it. Which reminds me, its about time to return to my Serebii account so I can start keeping track of everything released. I know there's no limit to the elemental types of pokemon in Smash, but I doubt that we'd get another Fire starter after already being given Incineroar. So maybe a Water or Grass Starter evolution will be in (in the end, I guess it depends on Design and move potential, though).

EDIT: Dammit...Ive done this before, but I meant to edit my own post, not reply to it....sorry for the stupidity lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom