• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
I can't speak for everyone, but I've always seen Lucario as "that one character who nobody plays as but is so iconic and popular to his series that you'd never suggest cutting him in a future Smash game".
That sums up half of the roster in a nutshell to me lol.

Also, what the hell is going here? I came back from my trip last night and pop on the discussion thread and Net Neutrality is what I see???

Last edited:

RyuhoFox

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 1285-9221-5627
While your statement is true, I believe that if we have to have cuts (and I don’t think we do but whatever) characters like Ike and Lucario are on the chopping block. Sure they have “unique” gameplay, but a new character could always do the same thing but better. And while legacy is definitely important, Ike and Lucario just aren’t that big in the grand scheme of Nintendo or Smash. I really don’t think this sheild of iconography extends beyond characters from Melee or 64.
Ike and Lucario are some of the most consistently popular characters within their respective series. They would likely be some of the last ones on the chopping block and Im not sure how anything else could do what Lucario does considering its entire gimmick is based around it being a Lucario.

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
Some truth
I do not like that art they used for Captain Syrup at the 10 second mark (and pops up repeatedly throughout most of the video).

This is Captain Syrup.

That art is trying too hard to make her look "EEEEEVIL!" (via her eyes) and it doesn't work.

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
I do not like that art they used for Captain Syrup at the 10 second mark (and pops up repeatedly throughout most of the video).

This is Captain Syrup.

That art is trying too hard to make her look "EEEEEVIL!" (via her eyes) and it doesn't work.
wario x captain syrup

Pakky

Smash Hero

This is Captain Syrup.

She also has a case of "tumblr nose" in some of the fan art in the video which is an auto 'no good'

Just a penguin

Smash Master
tbh it is strange that warioware doesn't have a second rep yet
Perhaps. I'm not really sure any one character from WarioWare is iconic enough to be in besides Ashley, but if Ashley is condemned to an assist trophy, maybe each WarioWare character appear for one or two attacks, which is a more fitting way to represent this segmented and crazy series.

RyuhoFox

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 1285-9221-5627
I think of it less as "The more reps you have, the bigger franchise you are", and more so "this franchise has a lot of potential movesets to choose from"

Sakurai usually likes choosing character based on their moveset potential...

Two perfect examples I can give are:ultrosalina: and :ultincineroar:. When revealed, both were reviled from the community because they weren't highly requested, and were yet another Mario/Pokemon character... Yet Sakurai has said the reason he chose these two, was moveset potential. Sakurai saw Rosalina and Luma, and thought of the concept of a puppet fighter, while Incineroar was chosen because Sakurai saw potential in a wrestling moveset...

Imo, at the end of the day, the amount of reps, doesn't matter, if anything the amount of reps just show how much potential there is to pull from.
And if we're being honest, choosing characters because "this franchise needs more", usually opens up to unoriginal and uninteresting movesets, when there are other characters that have way more potential...
I honestly don't even get why Rosalina got backlash, she was growing in popularity since her first appearance and was making appearances in just about everything Mario related so she seemed like a no brainer to me. Especially because tmk she actually was popular with Mario fans so her being so disliked in the Smash fandom felt weird to me.

Dee Dude

3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
That’s how I feel about Peach imo.

She’s featured in every Smash box cover except 64 for obvious reasons, she commonly appears in posters yet nobody really plays as her but she’s such an obvious mainstay and Nintendo All Star that’s there zero reason to cut her.

So many other characters apply to that as well such as Olimar, Villager, Wario, Rosalina, Lucario etc.

Characters that you barely see people main but are still sticking around because they need to lol.

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
That’s how I feel about Peach imo.

She’s featured in every Smash box cover except 64 for obvious reasons, she commonly appears in posters yet nobody really plays as her but she’s such an obvious mainstay and Nintendo All Star that’s there zero reason to cut her.

So many other characters apply to that as well such as Olimar, Villager, Wario, Rosalina, Lucario etc.

Characters that you barely see people main but are still sticking around because they need to lol.
I play Peach occasionally.

And now that she and Daisy are being considered for a High tier placement, you can bet there's going to be an influx of people maining her.

Dee Dude

3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
If there’s any 1-man franchise in Smash that’s long overdue for a second fighter, it’s Sonic or F-Zero in my opinion

osby

Smash Obsessed
I honestly don't even get why Rosalina got backlash, she was growing in popularity since her first appearance and was making appearances in just about everything Mario related so she seemed like a no brainer to me. Especially because tmk she actually was popular with Mario fans so her being so disliked in the Smash fandom felt weird to me.
She's a Mario character and her name isn't Waluigi or Geno.

Masked Marshmallow

Smash Lord
If there’s any 1-man franchise in Smash that’s long overdue for a second fighter, it’s Sonic or F-Zero in my opinion
Especially Sonic. You can make a cool moveset for any of the main cast. Knuckles, Tails, Shadow, Eggman, Amy, they all have so much moveset potential that it really feels weird to not have any of them in already.

Chrono.

Honestly I think F-zero is fine with just Falcon.

Only realistic options to me I think might be Goroh and B.Shadow.

R O F L

Smash Ace
At the time of her announcement she only appeared in 4 games, Galaxy, Galaxy 2, MKWii, and MK7. 2 of which are spinoffs, and 1 of which she isn't a major character in.

I'm thinking she got a lot of backlash because "she's another Mario character", and that she only had one major appearance. She wasn't an iconic Mario character yet, and she wasn't important to the series.

She's a Mario character and her name isn't Waluigi, Geno, or Paper Mario.
I fixed it :)

Last edited:

Dee Dude

3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
Especially Sonic. You can make a cool moveset for any of the main cast. Knuckles, Tails, Shadow, Eggman, Amy, they all have so much moveset potential that it really feels weird to not have any of them in already.
Fun fact: After Sonic got in Brawl, I used to want literally every Sonic character in Smash as kid.

Tails, Knuckles, Amy, Shadow, Rouge, Cream, Chaotix, Silver, Blaze, the list goes on lol.

Pakky

Smash Hero

DEATHBORN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

osby

Smash Obsessed
At the time of her announcement she only appeared in 4 games, Galaxy, Galaxy 2, MKWii, and MK7. 2 of which are spinoffs, and 1 of which she isn't a major character in.

I'm thinking she got a lot of backlash because "she's another Mario character", and that she only had one major appearance. She wasn't an iconic Mario character yet, and she wasn't important to the series.
Geno has one and Smash fandom hardly ever questions his importance or iconicness.

Dee Dude

3DS FC
0576-7674-5319

I’m pretty sure those are the only options, but yeah.

Goroh has always been a personal choice of mine but I’ve come to terms that he’ll never happen, I still remember when people wanted to give Falcondorf’s moveset to Black Shadow lol.

D

Deleted member

This is Captain Syrup.

wario x captain syrup
“No no no! Why are you still talking about her I’m the one you sould be talking about! Im your true and most deserving pirate rep! I’m risky boots pirate queen of the seven seas!!!”
357D8275-EE97-457D-8C02-B8528FF8D5AA.png

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
If I were to guess, it would probably be because there were other Mario characters that were very requested, and instead of one of those, we got a charterer that many people thought was forced into recent Mario games.

Within 6 years, she debuted in Mario Galaxy in 2007, became an unlockable character in Mario Kart Wii just 5 months later in 2008, (later being brought back for 7 and 8), she was an unlockable character in 3D World in 2013, before getting announced as a Playable character in Smash in December of that year... Six years. I can see why this could upset some people

I mean, I really can't say because I liked Rosalina's inclusion, but that's just my guess

Last edited:

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Wait, Rosalina got backlash?
Not a ton, but yeah. Mainly from the people who were either

A) Heavily requesting Toad/Bowser Jr./Paper Mario and felt their character was the superior pick

Or

B) Felt that Super Mario was already "complete" with the main four and saw Rosalina as an unnecessary tacked-on addition (coincidentally these were usually the same people who nonsensically wrote her off as a Peach clone prior to her reveal).

Anecdotal, but Rosalina's inclusion may have further fueled Waluigi's popularity. I didn't mention him in "A" because, in many places (here included), his support was seen as a joke since he wasn't a "storied main character" like the main four. When Rosalina broke down that fanmade wall, the groundswell of Waluigi support got a firmer footing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom