• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LetterO

Smash Lord
Guys.
Now when Mario's up special hits the coins are purple, like in Odyssey.
It's the little things.
I wish at least one of Mario's moves directly incorporated Cappy, not just as a cosmetic. Like have his throws involve Cappy or have him possess a T-Rex for his FInal Smash.

Last edited:

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
Sadly, many hardcore Smash fans think they're the center of the world and that only they should the characters they want while other audiences get screwed over. It irks me when I see someone claim that there shouldn't be any more Pokemon in the roster, but then turn around and demand yet another Mario character.
Agree in the end Smash is a game that unites us. We have fun playing it with each other and speculating who might be added in. It provides a nice distraction from the horrors that is the world and all its politics. Its a shame that some of the fans ruin this nice place of escape, and then make this getaway just as chaotic as the rest of the world. I wish people would take a minute and realize we are all entitled to our opinions. We all have hopes of characters being in, and yes some clearly have more of a chance than others. Yet its still fun to dream they might be in. And its equally as fun to just enjoy the characters we have, stop being so greedy. We have to be balanced in our opinions, not too extreme one way or the other. I mean I personally would love Sora to be in, but I would be happy for Geno fans or Dragon Quest fans if they get their character in over mine. Because this game no matter the characters announced, is meant to unite us in good times. We have come a long way from the N64 roster, im just grateful for so many characters that I can choose from. I really hope we as a community can really show Sakurai just how much he means to us and show him we are so grateful.

Last edited:

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
Well everyone happy speculating. Im going to get up early to see the Macy's parade so I can the first anime float (Goku) in the history of Macy's parades. So I wish you all a goodnight. 15 days until Smash Ultimate is almost here, can't wait!

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
Agree in the end Smash is a game that unites us. We have fun playing it with each other and speculating who might be added in. It provides a nice distraction from the horrors that is the world and all its politics. Its a shame that some of the fans ruin this nice place of escape, and then make this getaway just as chaotic as the rest of the world. I wish people would take a minute and realize we are all entitled to our opinions. We all have hopes of characters being in, and yes some clearly have more of a chance than others. Yet its still fun to dream they might be in. And its equally as fun to just enjoy the characters we have, stop being so greedy. We have to be balanced in our opinions, not too extreme one way or the other. I mean I personally would love Sora to be in, but I would be happy for Geno fans or Dragon Quest fans if they get their character in over mine. Because this game no matter the characters announced, is meant to unite us in good times. We have come a long way from the N64 roster, im just grateful for so many characters that I can choose from. I really hope we as a community can really show Sakurai just how much he means to us and show him we are so grateful.
Agreed. No matter which characters end up being confirmed for DLC, I'll be happy with their inclusions. Good night.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

It's not a R.I.P. until someone gives me actual reasons for Spirits deconfirming.
How about give an actual reason for it not disconfirming instead of just denying what's there?

Because so far, it's been established that:
a. Spirits are not Trophies and they serve gameplay purpose. The "but Mewtwo and Lucas were trophies" 'counterpoint' is heavily flawed.

b. The only Spirits of playable fighters are non-equipable Fighter Spirits. All other Spirits that reference the fighters are either variations (i.e. Kaptain K. Rool, Tennis Luigi, etc.) or are focusing on something OTHER than the character themselves (i.e. Robobot Mech, Tree Pose, etc.)

Until we get a legitimate case where "X Character" can be equipped by "X Character" Spirit, there is no actual argument to stand on against it other than that sweet, sweet denial.

But by all means. Prove me wrong.
That goes for ANYONE who wants to argue that they aren't a disconfirmation.

Last edited by a moderator:

djgwiz

Smash Apprentice
To add to what @GoldenYuiitusin said, it's interesting that no "Piranha Plant" spirit has been found thus far. However, variations of the character (in the form of two Petey Piranha spirits) have been discovered.

Last edited:

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Man, I don't even play Injustice and Sub-Zero and Raiden making it in over actual heroes pisses me off.

I play mascot fighters to play as characters I actually like, not advertisements.
Hate to break it to you but Johnny Cage, Sonya Blade, and Liu Kang are totally gonna be in Injustice 3.

I mean, screw the badasses like Goro, Shao Kahn, and Reptile....right?

How about give an actual reason for it not disconfirming instead of just denying what's there?

a. Spirits are not Trophies and they serve gameplay purpose. The "but Mewtwo and Lucas were trophies" 'counterpoint' is heavily flawed.

b. The only Spirits of playable fighters are non-equipable Fighter Spirits. All other Spirits that reference the fighters are either variations (i.e. Kaptain K. Rool, Tennis Luigi, etc.) or are focusing on something OTHER than the character themselves (i.e. Robobot Mech, Tree Pose, etc.)

Until we get a legitimate case where "X Character" can be equipped by "X Character" Spirit, there is no actual argument to stand on against it other than that sweet, sweet denial.

I wouldn’t say it’s a full on deconfirmation since we don’t really know. It’s not on the same level as an Assist Trophy deconfirmation.

It’s a lot of “ifs and buts” and I would agree they are technically a deconfirmation at this point but time will tell. Especially if we get Spirits based off actual fighters like how we got in Classic mode and All-Star Mode.

Still, even though it’s technically deconfirmation, I don’t wanna rain on people’s parade and saying “Dude, your character is screwed”.

Are we getting Final Smash Spirits because if not, I’ll be sad.

Last edited:

RyuhoFox

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 1285-9221-5627

Are you really trying to tell someone to prove a negative? On a topic where we are quite literally missing a lot of info on?
Neither stance really has any more of a leg to stand on at this point as they both require info that we dont have and likely wont have for a long while

Thermithral

Smash Journeyman
NNID
blahara
3DS FC
1375-7535-6452
Switch FC
6524 3241 3725
You know what would be cool? If there was a way we could make our own custom Spirit battles and have them attached to that Smash card, so whenever you beat someone online you also get a new custom Spirit battle.

I doubt such a thing would ever really be able to work though. Being able to upload any image into Smash would get ruined for everyone pretty fast.

Also, did anyone ever figure out what the flaming stage with the broken column was?

NineS

Smash Lord
You know what would be cool? If there was a way we could make our own custom Spirit battles and have them attached to that Smash card, so whenever you beat someone online you also get a new custom Spirit battle.

I doubt such a thing would ever really be able to work though. Being able to upload any image into Smash would get ruined for everyone pretty fast.
If not that, then I would at least want Nintendo to allow the vast array of spirit icons to become usable as your actual switch profile icons/images.
The ones we have now feel very limited, and with this they have access to so many potential profile pictures/icons...

Last edited:

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
If not that, then I would at least want Nintendo to allow the vast array of spirit icons to become usable as your actual switch profile icons/images.
The ones we have now feel very limited, and with this they have access to so many potential profile pictures/icons...
If a Boshi Spirit exists, you know for a fact I'd use that as an icon :yoshi:

ganondorf_22

Smash Journeyman
Did you guys know there’s a Mario Kart game where you can play as Mario characters?

Edit 2: Hm. Just now realized that Birdo isn’t in Mario Kart 8 Deluxe. Or in Mario Tennis Aces. Hmmmmmmm. (Birdo confirmed for Smash?!?!?!)

Edit: oh no, I wish I hadn’t looked up Boshi :’’’’

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Because, unless Spirits were selected alongside or after DLC fighters, it makes no sense for the Smash team to limit themselves with picks simply because "welp, we already included them as a Spirit". And considering we've just found out that Nintendo recently made the DLC selection, it makes no sense for Nintendo to limit themselves with characters who aren't Spirits.

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
Sakurai and/or his team selected the spirits.

Nintendo selected the DLC.

It's completely different people making completely different decisions with completely different motives at completely different times about completely different aspects of the game.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
It depends on who Nintendo selected and how large the list was that Sakurai had the choice of, it could be that they wanted to promote a couple upcoming games with new characters or any third party deals they may have made, or they may not care about the whole spirit thing entirely and want Sakurai to include whatever character they want.

It remains to be seen how things will go.

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Guys.
Now when Mario's up special hits the coins are purple, like in Odyssey.
It's the little things.
I might be mistaken, but I thought I heard it's only like that when he uses the top hat costume aswell.

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
It depends on who Nintendo selected and how large the list was that Sakurai had the choice of, it could be that they wanted to promote a few upcoming games with new characters or any third party deals they may have made, or they may not care about the whole spirit thing entirely and want Sakurai to include whatever character they want.

It remains to be seen how things will go.
I don't agree with the interpretation that Sakurai was given a list of characters he then selected from. He said nothing about a list in his tweet. Instead, he made it very clear that the selection was made entirely by Nintendo. He was merely granted the creative control over how to implement their selection. At best he may have had veto power if he truly didn't believe he could implement them.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I don't agree with the interpretation that Sakurai was given a list of characters he then selected from. He said nothing about a list in his tweet. Instead, he made it very clear that the selection was made entirely by Nintendo. He was merely granted the creative control over how to implement their selection. At best he may have had veto power if he truly didn't believe he could implement them.
Did he? I was under the impression that he had a choice of more than five and pick whichever ones he could feasibly work with...
If that's the case then the picks might potentially lean a bit more on the promotional side, unless Nintendo themselves got to refer to something like the ballot or researched on what was popular and make their choices accordingly...

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
This is literally the first time we've ever had Spirits in a Smash game, so who are any of us to walk around and act like we have a definite answer on whether or not they deconfirm a character?

I've heard some good arguments from both sides, but no, none of us actually know if a Spirit deconfirms a character. All we have to go off of are our personal opinions and speculation, and it'll likely stay that way until the last DLC character is revealed or Sakurai himself clarifies.

Last edited:

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I said Cloud would never appear in a Smash game...I swore on it....and ridiculed others for supporting him....despite me liking the character just cause it was the “in” thing to do so...

Then I ate my words.

I would put Spirits under a soft deconfirmation unless proven otherwise.

GoeGoe

Smash Lord
First Happy Thanksgiving my friend. Check out the Macy's parade today, for the first time they are going to have an anime float. Its going to be a Super Saiyan Blue Goku float, can't wait to see that. I normally don't watch the Macy's parade, but I really want to see that float.

Agree companies should convince the seller, but unfortunately we don't really see that anymore. I mean all we have to do is look at companies like EA or Blizzard with their famous Diablo Immortals and don't you have phones speech. Or even recently with the extremely underwhelming reception of Fall Out 76. Sometimes companies will do what they think is best, and not what the fans really want. I mean even Square Enix knew Tabata left, and waited for the anniversary of FF15 to release a statement that they are cancelling all of the upcoming DLC's. That is just so messed up, on so many levels. Fans were waiting to get more information of the DLC's and instead they get a powerpoint telling them Tabata left and the DLC's are cancelled.

Oh I agree MVC2 has so much nostalgia, Im so bummed that they haven't released it for PS4, XboxOne, Nintendo Switch or even Steam. I just want to play that game again on a new system. Yeah Gambit is my favorite X-men and second favorite Marvel character. Captain America is my favorite super hero of Marvel and of all time. Gambit though I loved his moves, and he just has a very cool personality. I really hope when the X-men get rebooted in the MCU that Gambit is part of the core team. And not Channing Tatum playing him, because he doesn't fit the character.

So TMNT in Injustice 2 was well received, the Piranha plant of Injustice 2 was Raiden. People absolutely hated that there were two Mortal Kombat reps in a DC game. Sub-Zero made sense as he is the next most popular character after Scorpion. And since Scorpion was in Injustice 1 everyone was expecting Sub-Zero to be in Injustice 2. However when Raiden was revealed for the DLC pass people absolutely loathed the fact he was added in by Netherealm. I mean there were two Mortal Kombat characters in the DLC pass for a DC game, Sub-Zero and Raiden. It felt like Netherealm was shoving their characters down peoples throats in a DC game, where people are expecting DC or comic characters to show up. So needless to say Raidens inclusion was not well received. His silhouette was even originally there, but people refused to believe he was in the game, thinking Netherealm was trolling. Then when it was revealed that Raiden was in, people absolutely hated it. Because he took away a spot from DC characters people did want in, like Etrigan, Constantine, Lobo etc. Thats why I say that if Nintendo added a FE Three Houses rep, and a new Pokemon rep. They would not be the first company to push characters that people will respond extremely negative towards. In the end these gaming company's want to make the most profit, so they may still push a character despite the backlash.

As for Hitagi mmmmm I am still on the fence with that guy/gal? I honestly do not know what to believe when they post stuff, I know they have been right in other games. However their credibility in Smash related things has yet to be seen, so that makes me skeptical of what they say. Because they have no existing credibility when it comes to Smash related content. Until some of their stuff starts coming out to be true, I will just take what they say at a distance.

I did see Rayman, Bandana Dee and Elma were spirits. I am not sure where I side with the whole spirits do or do not de-confirm characters. On one hand we see playable fighters as Spirits. On the other, those are not really those characters. Its Kaptain K Rool and Treepose Wii Fit Trainer. So when its just Rayman and not Knight Rayman. That has me a bit worried that his chances may have taken a hit. Lol you almost had me at Goku, I was about to say no way! XD
Thanks. Oh an anime makes it! Hmm, wait I think Pikachu was the first if I'm not mistaken. It's something to behold nevertheless.

Well, whom to blame on that? Honestly I blame the gamers who caved in. Do you recall when Capcom made a 1 save RE game and how it flopped real hard because gamers made sure the message got clear that it's not acceptable. Gamers should stand their grounds, so those companies don't take advantage. When those companies bloat they no longer look at their fans but as stepping stones. I for one don't accept that, as best as I could. I don't care if it's Smash, Sakurai or Nintendo. You give me something good, I pay you. Simple as that. XD I felt you were hinting FF15.
If you don't like that scene btw, go indies.. well between AAA games if you must. Almost no good indie does that. Unfortunately they don't always come physical.

Wait for it. They're releasing so many re-releases (SF 30th), so hopefully we'll get MvC as well. Maybe when Infinte is ready for re-release. I wish they'd put all those great fighters in one physical release.. including Dark Stalkers :)

I'm glad to find someone who admits Scorpion is the most popular XD He's my top favorite MK fighter, my fellow Sub-Zero fans won't give me that X). Hmm, I wasn't there to get the full feeling of it but I feel ya exactly. This is how I feel about Steve and (I know you're not with me on this) another FE rep. So, from what you're saying I'd say, Piranha is TMNT and Raiden would be Steve. Yeah, Nintendo won't be the first but I'll try to make their sales charts see that. Let'em make a profit, but not on my account. I keep saying it should be a balance, a balance between profit and fans "logical" demands.

Leaks won't change a thing, it's just for speculating. I'm hoping he's right, who knows, Nintendo might actually surprise us.

Well, although spirits deconfirms puts water on fire, here's what I truely believe. Only Smash renders spirits deconfirms. Yes, that means I don't actually believe that any is deconfirmed. I wish, but I'm not counting on it. The reason I say this, well, as you said, there're current Smash renders among those spirits.
I wasn't had by Goku, but laughed at it. Many don't know this but it's almost near impossible to happen. Not just because Sakurai clearly stated that the charcater has to be of game origin. It's market territories. Namco-Bandai does anime games, the rest do just games. Sure NB is helping in Smash but in no way they'll share that cake with any of the gaming companies. They're right holders, they'll not do it (for many reasons I'll just not divulge into).

D

Deleted member

Been gone for the last 50 pages or so. I heard something about the game leaking, any info on that?

Last edited by a moderator:

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
Did he? I was under the impression that he had a choice of more than five and pick whichever ones he could feasibly work with...
If that's the case then the picks might potentially lean a bit more on the promotional side, unless Nintendo themselves got to refer to something like the ballot or researched on what was popular and make their choices accordingly...
This idea that he had a list he chose from was pulled out of thin air and spread around mostly because people didn't want to believe Nintendo made the decision.

The actual text of his tweet says nothing about a list, but does state quite clearly the selection "was made entirely by Nintendo" (emphasis mine).

Sakurai said:
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate’s DLC line-up is now complete. This time the selection was made entirely by Nintendo. I decide if we can create a fighter based on their selection, then come up with the plan.

GoeGoe

Smash Lord
I don't know what you're trying to argue here.
At all. I mean, I just dropped the wikipedia link.

This list isn't entirely reliable, and only takes the video games into account.
Taking only that into account, Mario indeed is number one.

However, if you're taking the video games, anime/manga, movies, toys, books, clothes, other merchandise, etc. Pokemon is unrivaled, and sits at number one. In terms of video-game franchises, Mario is number 2 in this situation.
Well then you should've kept with the original subject dear NineS. I replied out of courtesy. So if you may, I'm not going back to it.
Come on, dude. This is starting to get kind of pathetic. Multiple people have called you out for being wrong about Sonic being more popular than Pokemon. Why can't you just take the high road and admit that you made a mistake with your claim?
I didn't even talk about popularity in my original post. You dragged it there. Besides I don't have to agree with "multiple people" nor take the high road. Simply, I don't see I was at wrong.
Ayy

You keep switching between Wikipedia and that 'totally reliable site'

It's not that hard to admit mistakes, my friend

Also ****ting on Wikipedia is a big no from me
My firend, I did not do any mistakes. If you think I did, you should probably argue that with "that site" not me. You chose Wiki, I chose "that site". end of story.
I would like to see the source on the 350 million for Sonic. Surely they don't mean 350 million sales, because in 2011, SEGA reported the franchise was at 70 million sales. So either this article counts something else as being part of sales like mobile downloads or merchandise or something.

Either way this article really contradicts most of the other data we have. Looking at NPD, Sonic games don't really chart amazingly well. Certainly not more than GTA or Pokemon.
I don't know what that site is counting, you can ask the writer if you wish. Not my problem.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I'm actually eager to see who Nintendo chose. I have a feeling we'll be suprised with who they went with, but maybe that's because insiders have somehow convinced us that most (if not all) DLC characters will be third-party additions who Nintendo will have to negotiate and pay for. :dizzy:

Last edited:

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
My firend, I did not do any mistakes. If you think I did, you should probably argue that with "that site" not me. You chose Wiki, I chose "that site". end of story.
It was you who referred to that site for "facts" even though a site like that is highly unreliable, mate.

NobleClamtasm

Smash Journeyman
I think the whole list meme comes from the fact that NoA reps promised tell Sakurai about Waluigi and Geno and the like. Because if that, people come under the assumption that Nintendo came up with a short-list of highly requested characters that you see on Twitter. In actuality, they probably chose characters within the company’s best interest in mind, but why tell the fans that if you can make them ride that hype train of false hope just a bit longer?

NineS

Smash Lord
Well then you should've kept with the original subject dear NineS. I replied out of courtesy. So if you may, I'm not going back to it.
I didn't even talk about popularity in my original post. You dragged it there. Besides I don't have to agree with "multiple people" nor take the high road. Simply, I don't see I was at wrong.
I don't know what that site is counting, you can ask the writer if you wish. Not my problem.
to be fair
i don't even know what the original subject was
just something to do with pokemon being the top or not the top

but i think it does matter that you should use reliable sources for information, especially in debates/conversations/etc. and if you realize that your source was unreliable or incorrect, or out of date, that you should correct yourself on it.
and when weighing two sources, one that is universally known to have more credibility than the other (example, a random 4chan leaker vs. vergeben or sakurai himself)

and i do know that you used said site (thegamer) for evidence, and against wikipedia, despite one being far more credible than the one you used, and the one you used having shaky evidence and potentially out of date information (as the article was made on Mar 25, 2017), contradicting other information known from multiple official and far more reliable sources.

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
Meanwhile I'm hoping for my boi to get kill confirms...
Ultimate is kind of doing away with kill confirms so I wouldn't dwell on it much.

Bowser, Robin, DK, Game and watch, Rob...all of them lost kill confirms. I can't think of anyone who got to keep one.

Fortunately, everyone listed got buffed a decent amount in compensation for less simplistic gameplay ...Except Bowser, rip in good tier.

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
...I mean, if you were using it for your argument it kind of is. The article is uninformative and doesn't source any of its data.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom