• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GoeGoe

Smash Lord
Dude literally look at the sources
My "protected and verified" point-which is true btw-doesn't even matter if you just look at the sources they use on that page

Also I hope you're not trying to be serious in telling me Sonic's more popular than Pokemon?
You're free to think what you want, it's not however.
Well I did provide a source, so what's the difference?
"not trying to be serious".. you mean kidding? No, I honestly don't care which's more popular, but weren't we talking grossing?
Oh, and here's one of the "protected and verified" wikis for ya
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_video_game_franchises

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
Oh! A.G.L. , what a change of pace, thank you.. Ok so let's go ahead..
Oh I know that, not just in gaming but life. It's upon the seller to convince, not to rely on blind faith. It's not even refundable.
Are you kidding? Of course MvC2 is the best out of the 4. I'm biased here cause I love sprites work and really appreciate their animation. Plus, it has Mega Man, Roll, Tron and a Servebot too. You know, when you think about it, Smash doesn't look that impressive compared to fighting games like MvC2. Sure it had 56 fighters. But all are sprites (it takes a ton of work to animate, especially that beautifully, I mean look at Spiral), and no clones stuffing whatsoever. Man, those were the greatest. No sales to satisfy, no dlc and every character had his/her/it unique move set. Oh and I love Gambit (not my favorite X-Men, but up there.. hmm, I can see why you like Gambit. Hehe). 3 doesn't compare but was somewhat good. Infinite, bluuggh. They say they'll improve it and rerelease it, let's see how it goes.
I haven't cought up with Injustice 2. Those games teach ya to wait for the full pack. XD so TMNT was the Piranha Palnt of Injustice XDD Well, yeah, I guess you see where I'm coming from now. But you see, since I've been out of the Injustice loop, I don't see what's wrong with TMNT, sure Lobo would've been great though. I say this because now we can see where Steve fans come from too. It doesn't make it sound good to use as much as it doesn't make it sound bad to them ;)
Yeah, that's why I'm not holding my breath for Nintendo's decisions. Though Hitagi says all their selections will be generally acceptable to all (not exact quoting). Still, unless they show me, I'm not considering. Nintendo, prove you have a good selection.

Edit: Btw, did you catch up on the latest. Rayman and Bandana Waddle Dee spirits were found. Oh and Goku too XD.. No not our Goku, but Goku & Chao from the Kirby series. That Sakurai.
First Happy Thanksgiving my friend. Check out the Macy's parade today, for the first time they are going to have an anime float. Its going to be a Super Saiyan Blue Goku float, can't wait to see that. I normally don't watch the Macy's parade, but I really want to see that float.

Agree companies should convince the seller, but unfortunately we don't really see that anymore. I mean all we have to do is look at companies like EA or Blizzard with their famous Diablo Immortals and don't you have phones speech. Or even recently with the extremely underwhelming reception of Fall Out 76. Sometimes companies will do what they think is best, and not what the fans really want. I mean even Square Enix knew Tabata left, and waited for the anniversary of FF15 to release a statement that they are cancelling all of the upcoming DLC's. That is just so messed up, on so many levels. Fans were waiting to get more information of the DLC's and instead they get a powerpoint telling them Tabata left and the DLC's are cancelled.

Oh I agree MVC2 has so much nostalgia, Im so bummed that they haven't released it for PS4, XboxOne, Nintendo Switch or even Steam. I just want to play that game again on a new system. Yeah Gambit is my favorite X-men and second favorite Marvel character. Captain America is my favorite super hero of Marvel and of all time. Gambit though I loved his moves, and he just has a very cool personality. I really hope when the X-men get rebooted in the MCU that Gambit is part of the core team. And not Channing Tatum playing him, because he doesn't fit the character.

So TMNT in Injustice 2 was well received, the Piranha plant of Injustice 2 was Raiden. People absolutely hated that there were two Mortal Kombat reps in a DC game. Sub-Zero made sense as he is the next most popular character after Scorpion. And since Scorpion was in Injustice 1 everyone was expecting Sub-Zero to be in Injustice 2. However when Raiden was revealed for the DLC pass people absolutely loathed the fact he was added in by Netherealm. I mean there were two Mortal Kombat characters in the DLC pass for a DC game, Sub-Zero and Raiden. It felt like Netherealm was shoving their characters down peoples throats in a DC game, where people are expecting DC or comic characters to show up. So needless to say Raidens inclusion was not well received. His silhouette was even originally there, but people refused to believe he was in the game, thinking Netherealm was trolling. Then when it was revealed that Raiden was in, people absolutely hated it. Because he took away a spot from DC characters people did want in, like Etrigan, Constantine, Lobo etc. Thats why I say that if Nintendo added a FE Three Houses rep, and a new Pokemon rep. They would not be the first company to push characters that people will respond extremely negative towards. In the end these gaming company's want to make the most profit, so they may still push a character despite the backlash.

As for Hitagi mmmmm I am still on the fence with that guy/gal? I honestly do not know what to believe when they post stuff, I know they have been right in other games. However their credibility in Smash related things has yet to be seen, so that makes me skeptical of what they say. Because they have no existing credibility when it comes to Smash related content. Until some of their stuff starts coming out to be true, I will just take what they say at a distance.

I did see Rayman, Bandana Dee and Elma were spirits. I am not sure where I side with the whole spirits do or do not de-confirm characters. On one hand we see playable fighters as Spirits. On the other, those are not really those characters. Its Kaptain K Rool and Treepose Wii Fit Trainer. So when its just Rayman and not Knight Rayman. That has me a bit worried that his chances may have taken a hit. Lol you almost had me at Goku, I was about to say no way! XD

osby

Smash Obsessed
SERIOUSLY THOUGH
WHY DO SO MANY OF THESE MAKE SENSE
IT'S AWESOME BUT EXTREMELY STRANGE AT THE SAME TIME
I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO FEEL ANYMORE
When everyone was busy with character speculation, development team was busy with these.

NineS

Smash Lord
View attachment 179114

Not pictured is the Switch Dock behind the left monitor. Whose ready?
You have very good taste.
I envy your set up.
I wish I had more money-- Wait a second...

0/0 setup, F-, a bunch of other bad things.
you should be ashamed of yourself.
tis the season of sprite cranberry.
You're free to think what you want, it's not however.
Well I did provide a source, so what's the difference?
"not trying to be serious".. you mean kidding? No, I honestly don't care which's more popular, but weren't we talking grossing?
Oh, and here's one of the "protected and verified" wikis for ya
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_video_game_franchises
That's going off of the games themselves.
But money overall?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_highest-grossing_video_game_franchises
Pokemon.

Last edited:

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
LMFAO Knew I was 'bouta get exposed somewhere.

NineS NineS

Thank you! I got lucky with the monitors. They're 144hz monitors (gonna set 'em at 120hz when I get new DVI cables to prevent the screens from jumping up 3 pixels) that cost $400 Canadian when they hit the market. Snagged 'em both for $140 each. Now to sell off my old 60hz monitors now. I might hafta try some cranberry sprite, but most of what I drink is water/tea with some diet pop on the side.

RyuhoFox

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 1285-9221-5627
First Happy Thanksgiving my friend. Check out the Macy's parade today, for the first time they are going to have an anime float. Its going to be a Super Saiyan Blue Goku float, can't wait to see that. I normally don't watch the Macy's parade, but I really want to see that float.

Agree companies should convince the seller, but unfortunately we don't really see that anymore. I mean all we have to do is look at companies like EA or Blizzard with their famous Diablo Immortals and don't you have phones speech. Or even recently with the extremely underwhelming reception of Fall Out 76. Sometimes companies will do what they think is best, and not what the fans really want. I mean even Square Enix knew Tabata left, and waited for the anniversary of FF15 to release a statement that they are cancelling all of the upcoming DLC's. That is just so messed up, on so many levels. Fans were waiting to get more information of the DLC's and instead they get a powerpoint telling them Tabata left and the DLC's are cancelled.

Oh I agree MVC2 has so much nostalgia, Im so bummed that they haven't released it for PS4, XboxOne, Nintendo Switch or even Steam. I just want to play that game again on a new system. Yeah Gambit is my favorite X-men and second favorite Marvel character. Captain America is my favorite super hero of Marvel and of all time. Gambit though I loved his moves, and he just has a very cool personality. I really hope when the X-men get rebooted in the MCU that Gambit is part of the core team. And not Channing Tatum playing him, because he doesn't fit the character.

So TMNT in Injustice 2 was well received, the Piranha plant of Injustice 2 was Raiden. People absolutely hated that there were two Mortal Kombat reps in a DC game. Sub-Zero made sense as he is the next most popular character after Scorpion. And since Scorpion was in Injustice 1 everyone was expecting Sub-Zero to be in Injustice 2. However when Raiden was revealed for the DLC pass people absolutely loathed the fact he was added in by Netherealm. I mean there were two Mortal Kombat characters in the DLC pass for a DC game, Sub-Zero and Raiden. It felt like Netherealm was shoving their characters down peoples throats in a DC game, where people are expecting DC or comic characters to show up. So needless to say Raidens inclusion was not well received. His silhouette was even originally there, but people refused to believe he was in the game, thinking Netherealm was trolling. Then when it was revealed that Raiden was in, people absolutely hated it. Because he took away a spot from DC characters people did want in, like Etrigan, Constantine, Lobo etc. Thats why I say that if Nintendo added a FE Three Houses rep, and a new Pokemon rep. They would not be the first company to push characters that people will respond extremely negative towards. In the end these gaming company's want to make the most profit, so they may still push a character despite the backlash.

As for Hitagi mmmmm I am still on the fence with that guy/gal? I honestly do not know what to believe when they post stuff, I know they have been right in other games. However their credibility in Smash related things has yet to be seen, so that makes me skeptical of what they say. Because they have no existing credibility when it comes to Smash related content. Until some of their stuff starts coming out to be true, I will just take what they say at a distance.

I did see Rayman, Bandana Dee and Elma were spirits. I am not sure where I side with the whole spirits do or do not de-confirm characters. On one hand we see playable fighters as Spirits. On the other, those are not really those characters. Its Kaptain K Rool and Treepose Wii Fit Trainer. So when its just Rayman and not Knight Rayman. That has me a bit worried that his chances may have taken a hit. Lol you almost had me at Goku, I was about to say no way! XD
What's even worse with Raiden in Injustice 2 is that apparently Static Shock almost made it in and he was practically begged for. :/

NineS

Smash Lord
I don't know what you're trying to argue here.
At all. I mean, I just dropped the wikipedia link.

This list isn't entirely reliable, and only takes the video games into account.
Taking only that into account, Mario indeed is number one.

However, if you're taking the video games, anime/manga, movies, toys, books, clothes, other merchandise, etc. Pokemon is unrivaled, and sits at number one. In terms of video-game franchises, Mario is number 2 in this situation.

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
What's even worse with Raiden in Injustice 2 is that apparently Static Shock almost made it in and he was practically begged for. :/
Exactly one of the artists from the Injustice 2 team even showed their was concept for him, but Netherealm did not go with it. I mean come on, that was character people had been wanting so badly. Yet still they pushed for Raiden even though that made two Mortal Komabt characters in a DC game.

Netherealm knew Raiden would be received so bad, they even made a Black Lightning costume for him to cushion the blow. Because fans were absolutely outraged that he made it in. This is why I say, if Nintendo adds a FE Three Houses character in Smash Ultimate. They would not be the first company to push a character that people absolutely did not want in a DLC pass.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Exactly one of the artists from the Injustice 2 team even showed their was concept for him, but Netherealm did not go with it. I mean come on, that was character people had been wanting so badly. Yet still they pushed for Raiden even though that made two Mortal Komabt characters in a DC game.

Netherealm knew Raiden would be received so bad, they even made a Black Lightning costume for him to cushion the blow. Because fans were absolutely outraged that he made it in. This is why I say, if Nintendo adds a FE Three Houses character in Smash Ultimate. They would be the first company to push a character people absolutely did not want in a DLC pass.
Man, I don't even play Injustice and Sub-Zero and Raiden making it in over actual heroes pisses me off.

I play mascot fighters to play as characters I actually like, not advertisements.

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
Man, I don't even play Injustice and Sub-Zero and Raiden making it in over actual heroes pisses me off.

I play mascot fighters to play as characters I actually like, not advertisements.
Agree, I mean I like Sub Zero and Raiden, but in their games. They just do not fit in a world where Batman and Superman are fighting each other. Im telling you people were so mad, because that is two paid DLC slots that Netherealm took away to push their own characters. And they did not release way before that these fighters would be in. So if you bought the whole fighters pass in advance expecting great characters, you were stuck with them.

NineS

Smash Lord
Last edited:

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
I would like to see the source on the 350 million for Sonic. Surely they don't mean 350 million sales, because in 2011, SEGA reported the franchise was at 70 million sales. So either this article counts something else as being part of sales like mobile downloads or merchandise or something.

Either way this article really contradicts most of the other data we have. Looking at NPD, Sonic games don't really chart amazingly well. Certainly not more than GTA or Pokemon.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Okay, I know this is out of nowhere, but
Holy **** is the salt real.
Nerf K. Rool. It hurts to see Noipoi Noipoi 's cat like this, but at the same time
I'm feeling an odd sense of satisfaction because I loved his trailer and Gangplank Galleon. And I was already planning on maining him...

Seriously though, what happened? Did K. Rool's super armor overpower Incineroar's Final Smash?
This hurt me on a deep, spiritual level.

I need a wholesome image.
Litten sleepin.png

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
Are you seriously trying to downplay Pokemon's significance? It is THE most popular franchise in the world, and even if you only count the games, it is still absolutely massive. I understand you don't like that Pokemon gets special treatment in Smash, but it deserves it.
Im not sure Pokemon is "the most popular franchise in the world". That honor if you are referring to gaming franchise might go to the Mario franchise, that being said Pokemon is definitely up there with the top 3 gaming franchises.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Im not sure Pokemon is "most popular franchise in the world". That honor might go to the Mario franchise, that being said its definitely up there with the top 3 gaming franchises.
No it definitely is.

Maybe not as purely a videogame franchise, but definitely as a multi-media franchise what with the games, trading cards, anime, toys, merchandise, and huge worldwide appeal.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Nerf K. Rool. It hurts to see Noipoi Noipoi 's cat like this, but at the same time
I'm feeling an odd sense of satisfaction because I loved his trailer and Gangplank Galleon. And I was already planning on maining him...

Seriously though, what happened? Did K. Rool's super armor overpower Incineroar's Final Smash?
Heck no. Doesn't need to be nerf. Happy to see my boi as top tier. :grin:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Im not sure Pokemon is "most popular franchise in the world". That honor might go to the Mario franchise, that being said its definitely up there with the top 3 gaming franchises. And as for most popular franchise in general, its not. Most popular franchise is probably Disney.
Disney is a company, not a franchise. Plus, Pokemon is more well-known than Mario since it's not limited to video games.

NineS

Smash Lord
Have people already seen this?
https://www.gameinformer.com/interv...lant-spirits-and-20-years-of-super-smash-bros
It's honestly really interesting. Sakurai is really straightforward with this, and I like this side of him.

However...

It is a little depressing. I feel bad for him. I wonder how he must feel whenever he hears/sees fans rant or go on about hating the decisions he's made when he's trying his best to satisfy everyone on some level.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722

Incineroar's FS has a zone of effect for it to work right? What if that's also true for other cinematic FS's like Wario, Captain Falcon, Corrin and my boi

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
Disney is a company, not a franchise. Plus, Pokemon is more well-known than Mario since it's not limited to video games.
I stand corrected good sir you are correct, Disney is a company. I got the two mixed by accident thank you for correcting me on that. That being said Im still not sure Pokemon is more popular/well known than Mario. That does bring up a excellent topic though, is Pokemon more well known that Mario?

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
https://www.gameinformer.com/interv...lant-spirits-and-20-years-of-super-smash-bros
It's honestly really interesting. Sakurai is really straightforward with this, and I like this side of him.

However...

It is a little depressing. I feel bad for him. I wonder how he must feel whenever he hears/sees fans rant or go on about hating the decisions he's made when he's trying his best to satisfy everyone on some level.
I think that's a lesson everyone learns when they've got an audience they want to appeal to.

You'll have to pick your poison on putting in veterans at the cost of new content or putting in new content at the cost of old content.
Sakurai went for the former where most have gone for the latter.

NineS

Smash Lord
Incineroar's FS has a zone of effect for it to work right? What if that's also true for other cinematic FS's like Wario, Captain Falcon, Corrin and my boi
Maybe, I'm not entirely sure how that works.
Incineroar's Final Smash most definitely did something to King K. Rool, though. If you look closely, you can see K. Rool takes 1% of damage from Incineroar's attack, but that's about it.

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896

However...

That is incredibly saddening to see this from a legend. Its unfortunate that people cannot be grateful and have even harassed him and his fellow staff. Over characters that they just want more and more of. Even if we did not get DLC, I would be happy with the character roster. Even if I did not get Ken in, and had to settle with choosing Ryu. I would still be happy because there is just so much that was added and returned to the game. Anything from this point on is the strawberry on top of a sundae (I don't like cherries :p). Its unfortunate some people don't see how exhausted he must be from all this. I really hope he gets a long vacation after this game is done.

osby

Smash Obsessed
To be fair, Bayonetta probably thinks her own hair would make for a good swimsuit.
She'll probably wear anything made out of anything.
-and look good in it.

Not sure who will be broken in this game. Don't care about tiers much but I'd like it if people don't hate on a character I like just because of game balance.

LetterO

Smash Lord
At this point I'm just tired of characters being judged by small amounts of gameplay footage played by players who probably haven't actually gotten super used to the game to play at their best. For example, it's fine ZeRo to analyze and I like his analysing videos, but I don't like his clickbait style titles that go "_____ is Top/Bottom Tier!!!" or "___ is better than ___!!!".

As cool as it is to see Olimar in top tier by many people, I'd rather not jump the gun and would rather wait until the game's out.

Last edited:

NineS

Smash Lord
-and look good in it.

Not sure who will be broken in this game. Don't care about tiers much but I'd like it if people don't hate on a character I like just because of game balance.
I never said she'd look bad in it
just that she'd wear clothes regardless of what they're made of.
you know, as long as it's not transparent you lenny-faced folks.

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
That is incredibly saddening to see this from a legend. Its unfortunate that people cannot be grateful and have even harassed him and his fellow staff. Over characters that they just want more and more of. Even if we did not get DLC, I would be happy with the character roster. Even if I did not get Ken in, and had to settle with choosing Ryu. I would still be happy because there is just so much that was added and returned to the game. Anything from this point on is the strawberry on top of a sundae (I don't like cherries :p). Its unfortunate some people don't see how exhausted he must be from all this. I really hope he gets a long vacation after this game is done.
Sadly, many hardcore Smash fans think they're the center of the world and that only they should get the characters they want while other audiences get screwed over. The backlash to Isabelle after her reveal proved how selfish these kinds of fans can be, thinking that she wasn't deserving even though Isabelle, and Animal Crossing as a whole, are incredibly popular among casual Nintendo fans. It also irks me when I see someone claim that there shouldn't be any more Pokemon in the roster because there are already a lot, but then turn around and demand yet another Mario character. Of course, I don't mind which franchise a character comes from. We could get five more Mario characters for DLC and I would be perfectly fine with that. I just wanted to point out the double standards that people have.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom