• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Untouch

Smash Master
I just felt like chiming in to say I hope the leak is real, but I'm not going to put "all my eggs in one basket" and say I think it's definitely real.

Also, I just randomly had an idea about Dixie. It's not the best case scenario, but it would be a compromise that would be better than nothing. What if she is part of Diddy's Final Smash, but she's also an alternate skin with Diddy in her Final Smash instead.
I've been thinking that since before K Rool was revealed lol
They have to be hiding Diddy's new FS for a reason.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Looking at this whole anime talk thing reminds me of the time when I came to Smashboards first time back when Kid Icarus Uprising was still in development. A certain group of members, including I, used to talk a lot of stuff together - I think I used to illustrate then some of these comments...

Good times. :4pacman:

RyuhoFox

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 1285-9221-5627
I think Im in the weird area where I don't want the leak to be fake but hope that it's incomplete. Not only to have more to look forward to but because I still wants me a pokemon

Burb

The Absolute Worst
Yeah nah this is the point I step out.

You all can make character judgements over a ****ing video game leak, I'm just going to go do something else.

This is getting personal.
To deny that there's a bias towards leaks with "favorable" characters is a bit ridiculous.

This sort of thing has happened throughout Smash history. DaybreakHorizon DaybreakHorizon even provided a prime example; Tower of Smash was given spotlight treatment even though the only things it got explicitly right was the return of Onett (an easily predictable retro stage), and was kept alive even after getting not one, not two, but three consecutive stage names wrong. The third of which, wasn't even in the same ballpark.

Why was it so popular? Because it was a post-3DS release SSB4 leak that said Ridley could still be playable.

It's not even the only example of this happening. Have you heard of Miahstorm? The leak that was popularized after the fall of Gematsu? It wasn't even the only one that said Chrom wasn't playable prior to his disconfirmation, but picked up traction over its direct rival; why? Because it said Ridley and K. Rool were in, whereas its rival said both were "playable in a boss battle mode".

Even the ESRB leak, the one everyone and their mothers are comparing the Grinch leak to, is an example of a leak getting treatment that coincided with the characters it implicated. Most of the community was thoroughly convinced it was fake even though it had much, much more to it than the Grinch leak. It also just so happened to disconfirm every single remaining community favorite with the sole exception of Shulk.

It's hard to write all of this off as a mere coincidence.

Last edited:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
He's right. I'm hot as ****. :smirk:
You're damn right

I'm saying people are more inclined to believe it because it has what they want. It's bias, and it's a core aspect of human beliefs. We all have our biases, but many people here let their biases influence their beliefs despite any facts that may or may not accompany them. It's why blog theory gained traction even thought it was some simple calculations, and why box theory advocates (not even supporters, people playing devil's advocate), myself included, were attacked for simply trying to argue that it could be real.

If you want to believe the leak and have real evidence to back up your beliefs be my guest. But I'm not here to argue blind beliefs against brick walls.
Then argue with people trying to make fairer points and actually participate in the conversation at hand.
There are a hell of a lot of people on both sides who believe the way they do purely for bias. It means nothing for the conversation and is just unnecessary venting that adds nothing to the conversation when you decide to do things like this. I don't get it

"I LIKE GENO SO IT'S REAL" or "**** VERG" is the same as all the "I LIKE INCINEROAR" or "VERG 2020" stuff I keep seeing, it's the same either way and so far it's cost me $0.00 to ignore it and pay attention to the genuine attempts on either side

Breathe

Last edited:

lightdrago

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW 2938 1058 0987
I could certainly try.
There are way too many people here for me to do everybody, but i'll see who I can fit.

Whoever I draw will be drawn as the character in their profile pic, so if Elma's there it's supposed to be @Rie Sonomura .
Now I just need to find an anime poster to parody...
Draw me as a white dragon but with glasses!

if you'd like. no pressure

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
Destroying all trace of detail and create things were they aren't... But this is exactly what compression and video artifacts do, and this is what happened with the original background. I would say that's the point.

Also, what I exactly said is "The waterfall from the right tends to dissapear" :p
The point is, you're destroying the detail that is there, even after compression, just to force the image to lose the detail that isn't. It's an incredibly disingenuous experiment.

These are both examples of the tiniest details being present on the leak. In the first image, you can still quite clearly see the castle spire behind Zelda in the leak. Despite all the blur and all the compression, that spire, which contrasts against the bright yellow sky, is there. In the second image, you can see those two little clouds above Jr, even after all the blur and artifacting.

NotLiquid

Smash Lord
It's honestly best that both sides accept that the background is different.

But it's also important that both sides accept that it really doesn't detract from the leak at all.
I'm firmly of the belief that the rumor is bogus, however I agree. There is a chance that this rumor is real, but if so you kind of have to approach it with the assumption that the background has changed.

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
To be fair, Nintendo is prone to changing aesthetics of something later on down the line.

But yeah, the inconsistencies ARE pretty bad for it. I want it to be real, but I do feel as if the fake side has more logical elements behind it.

The "real" points are mostly speculation based on lots of coincidences that don't necessarily have to line up with the Grinch leak.

Nothing is concrete, but I do feel that one side has the better arguments simply just based on irrefutable visual evidence.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
It's honestly best that both sides accept that the background is different.
Agreed.
But it's also important that both sides accept that it really doesn't detract from the leak at all.
Wait, none at all? Not even a little bit?

So you're going to admit evidence that suggest the leak could be fake is real but still brush it under the rug anyway?

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
I could certainly try.
There are way too many people here for me to do everybody, but i'll see who I can fit.

Whoever I draw will be drawn as the character in their profile pic, so if Elma's there it's supposed to be @Rie Sonomura .
Would you refer my original Reporter Profile pic, or will this current MC Adore one be good for ya?
You could choose whichever you like...

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
I hope you saw my post about driving, traffic :/

Heh. Sorry TB. I am all of team fake now

Source?
I find it interesting how insiders seem to be colliding now. KH Insider and Papagenos are for it, for instance.

Yep, because most fake leakers want fame.
And this guy got it.
Here's that source
Screenshot_20181026-180829~2.png

Definitely seems he's sure the Grinch leak isn't complete and is missing characters so yea conflicts with it.
Completely unrelated but Twintelle AND Urbosa in your wishlist? You have true taste my friend
This is coming from me, the person who was defending diverse genders in the roster, I want those three for one hundred reasons besides that they are women of color, something severly lacking in Smash. They're so cool! Glad you agree :)

alemerltoucanet

Smash Lord
NNID
AngrySilverBird
Honestly, assuming Shadow is in, he needs dabbing as a taunt. Especially since Sakurai loves call back details, he'd have to pull that from Sonic Heroes.

Jk. I'd laugh like crazy though.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
I hope you saw my post about driving, traffic :/

Here's that source
View attachment 172394
Definitely seems he's sure the Grinch leak isn't complete and is missing characters so yea conflicts with it.

This is coming from me, the person who was defending diverse genders in the roster, I want those three for one hundred reasons besides that they are women of color, something severly lacking in Smash. They're so cool! Glad you agree :)
"unique character trailer revealing two characters" Well what the hell is this lol. It also confirms some characters are in. As in, one of...
Geno, Isaac, Banjo-Kazooie, Mach Rider, Chorus Kids, Shadow, and Ken. But the "some characterS" implies more than Ken are in. What is going on lol, even if this is fake some ****'s going down

Also I big love Urbosa and Twintelle. Them being women of color just adds to the awesomeness of them being in. Would be ecstatic!

Deoxys911

Laughs and Logic
NNID
Deoxys911
I'm back. Any updates from the leak by our unjolly green friend?
It turns out that camera blur and compression can account for some of the discrepancies between the E3 blank banner and the leak's version, but it would also be likely to create more discrepancies than are present, meaning that it's a pretty flimsy explanation.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
The point is, you're destroying the detail that is there, even after compression, just to force the image to lose the detail that isn't. It's an incredibly disingenuous experiment.

These are both examples of the tiniest details being present on the leak. In the first image, you can still quite clearly see the castle spire behind Zelda in the leak. Despite all the blur and all the compression, that spire, which contrasts against the bright yellow sky, is there. In the second image, you can see those two little clouds above Jr, even after all the blur and artifacting.
Wish I could see the actual video.
I really just haven't been able to comment on this either way because I don't feel comfortable with comparisons using screencaps from a snapchat video.

It's just me. Not trying to claim it isn't valid or anything, I just personally can't.
Groan.

Troykv

Smash Master
I think it's blatantly fake and I'm annoyed that people are taking this that much seriously despite the huge flaws it has.
It reminds me of when I was in the Kirby Reddit and people believed that "Kirby Star Knights" was real despite the obvious flaws in the pictures and the video (like assets taken from the Wii game and blurred), and that the guy who made it was probably the same one who did a lot of posts about it and mentioned it in the first place; discussing and giving importance to it was just falling into the trap. The fake became so much popular that Source Gaming made a video about it.
I was basically the only one convinced that it was 100% fake and at the end it was fake, indeed.
It's the exact same situation, the only difference is that this leak is more complex, and more blurry, so we can't see the details that would debunk it instantly.
I see... This reminds me of Kirby Red Diamond (the funny thing is the fact an actual edited game existed, but it was a hoax, the game was just Kirby's Adventure with two aditional pictures in the loading phase xD).

Burb

The Absolute Worst
Because text leaks that happen in the past are exactly the same as somthing that was given visual evidence.
If "text leaks" don't suffice as a basis for comparison, there's the ESRB leak.

It had far more compelling evidence, clearer images, and any hole punched through it ended up turning into evidence to support it.

It was still deemed fake by the majority. What's the big difference between Grinch and ESRB? The Grinch leak confirms three major community favorites. The ESRB leak disconfirmed all of them except Shulk, who had middling demand if anything.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
"unique character trailer revealing two characters" Well what the hell is this lol. It also confirms some characters are in. As in, one of...
Geno, Isaac, Banjo-Kazooie, Mach Rider, Chorus Kids, Shadow, and Ken. But the "some characterS" implies more than Ken are in. What is going on lol, even if this is fake some ****'s going down

Also I big love Urbosa and Twintelle. Them being women of color just adds to the awesomeness of them being in. Would be ecstatic!
A trailer revealing two characters can be like a Chrom/Dark samus kind of things with Shadow/Ken

Or perhaps it's the Ken/Incineroar things that people guessed with the shared theme?

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Wish I could see the actual video.
I really just haven't been able to comment on this either way because I don't feel comfortable with comparisons using screencaps from a snapchat video.

It's just me. Not trying to claim it isn't valid or anything, I just personally can't.
Groan.
That's the thing. It's a screencap of a Snapchat video. That's why the whole background thing is just stunning to me...like, damn. You know?
I don't think you do, as I'm very unclear, it's just a feeling I can't put into words.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Because text leaks that happen in the past are exactly the same as somthing that was given visual evidence.
There's been tons of fake leaks with visual "evidence". It's possible the evidence here was faked as well, and there's even some things to suggest that it may have been.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
I could certainly try.

My profile pic is Bomberman kicking Kirby and scorching Jigglypuff with the Bomber Jet.

Confirmation

Smash Ace
To deny that there's a bias towards leaks with "favorable" characters is a bit ridiculous.

This sort of thing has happened throughout Smash history. DaybreakHorizon DaybreakHorizon even provided a prime example; Tower of Smash was given spotlight treatment even though the only things it got explicitly right was the return of Onett (an easily predictable retro stage), and was kept alive even after getting not one, not two, but three consecutive stage names wrong. The third of which, wasn't even in the same ballpark.

Why was it so popular? Because it was a post-3DS release SSB4 leak that said Ridley could still be playable.

It's not even the only example of this happening. Have you heard of Miahstorm? The leak that was popularized after the fall of Gematsu? It wasn't even the only one that said Chrom wasn't playable prior to his disconfirmation, but picked up traction over its direct rival; why? Because it said Ridley and K. Rool were in, whereas its rival said both were "playable in a boss battle mode".

Even the ESRB leak, the one everyone and their mothers are comparing the Grinch leak to, is an example of a leak getting treatment that coincided with the characters it implicated. Most of the community was thoroughly convinced it was fake even though it had much, much more to it than the Grinch leak. It also just so happened to disconfirm every single remaining community favorite with the sole exception of Shulk.

It's hard to write all of this off as a mere coincidence.
This actually has a basis in psychology; people in general anticipate happy outcomes because the brain is literally wired to do so in order to produce dopamine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom