• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

larlargaming

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LarlarGaming
3DS FC
2578-3594-9063
Here is a cleared-up of the banner, courtesy of Tr1pleDee on Reddit:

View attachment 172379

It also makes it easier to see the unrevealed characters.

He said it took him an insane amount of effort to do. So either the leaker went through a ludicrous amount of effort to create this, do a bunch of research to gain false credibility, and post it on Snapchat of all places, or the leak is real.
i stand by what i said earlier, crazy that people will go with this amount of effort to do so for it to be fake

ReeseBalaski

Smash Journeyman
There has been a gross over estimation of how many people hate the box solely because it only has Ken and Incineroar.

I won't deny that it plays a part, but here's the thing. That's not the only reason why most people don't care for it. Among other reasons, there are.

-Users saying other users are "in denial" about it, despite the theory being just as fallible as others of it's kind
-The consistent surge of users saying that people should lower their expectations solely on the basis of that theory
-Speculation being an absolute slog for weeks after the box was shown because of the general 'settling' mood it caused.

As I have said before, legitimately, the people who will complain for weeks, make bad comments about the devs, threaten to boycott, etc are the vast minority.

Most people who might end up disappointed because their favorites aren't in will be sad for, a day at most, and then they'll get over it.

The majority of Smash fans don't have childish reasons for not liking something. Especially for as much Ultimate is providing.

Is it true that I want more than just Ken and Incineroar? Yeah. But am I gonna ***** if they end up being the only ones left for base? Hell no. So please don't treat me as if I would.

Last edited:

IcyBrawler

Smash Apprentice
Just to leave it here that whether you're from Team Real or Team Fake, if you treat the other team like you're better/smarter than them, you're an *******.
Honestly the "team" thing should just stop. Just share your opinion and that's it. Only reason why I say that is because teams seem to cause problems...

Burb

The Absolute Worst
Hey all! Coming from the Geno thread to bring the message I sent over here:

Over on the Star Road Discord, a lot of people were freaking out over the trademarks. Now by itself, they don't really amount to anything, but when you look at everything...

May 11, 2018 - Mach Rider Trademark renewal
May 13, 2018 - SMRPG Tweet #TeamGeno
August 24, 2018
- Golden Sun Trademark renewal
August 24, 2018 - Rhythm Heaven Trademark renewal
September 7, 2018 - Banjo-Kazooie Trademark renewal

Weird that all 5 of these characters show up in the leak and all 5 have had some form of renewal or recognition this year, especially given their history. (Rhythm Heaven would be the only one that really makes sense, since it's an ongoing franchise right now.)

Also, isn't it odd that Ken and Shadow, who have no evidence related to this, already have their franchises in Smash? You could argue Geno is bundled with the Mario characters, but his third-party attributes still stand.

There are many, many things lining up for this leak, and it's getting to the point where I would have to commend the leaker greatly if this turns out to be fake.
itp: a tweet acknowledging a game's anniversary is comparable to trademarks randomly being renewed

gg

Last edited:

Gothitelle

Smash Journeyman
Oh, are we actually legitimately arguing again? Okay time to reframe my joke!

Yeah, I'm thinking he's in
Look at how easy this was for me to make without any effort. And I could have picked out any name from any random printing company on Linkedin. For example, how about Loxley Colour? From there, all I have to do is click on the list of employees and pick one not obscured. I won't go as far as to choose an actual name because that'd be kind of creepy, but you get the gist.

Chrollo.

fka president wario
All the talk of Smashboards anime reminded me, is anyone here following the BHA anime?
Bit unrelated but I just wanna know if were near the overhaul arc of it is already happening.
I just goona watch the anime when the best characters appear.
That is Gentle and La Brava of course
Overhaul was introduced in the second to last episode. Season 4 will probably begin with THAT moment from the manga.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Also, I really don't understand how "this has all the fan-picks" is a point against the leak.
The point was that
>People dissing Gematsu because it decomfirm characters and a lot of pick people didn't want, while other believe it for their characters
>People dissing the ERSB leak because it decomfirm all characters people want
>People believing the Ridley Shadow because HE DID A GRAB
>People believing the Tower of Smash because it confirm characters they want

That was the point, it wasn't against the leak, it was an observation made in general for the leaks and how the pendulum swing in general for people believing/not believing a leak

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Just to leave it here that whether you're from Team Real or Team Fake, if you treat the other team like you're better/smarter than them, you're an *******.
See, this is why I don’t participate in these discussions much. I don’t believe in being better than anyone when discussing these kinds of things.

Slender

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SlenderSphere
Switch FC
SW-3978-2307-5490
Eric Bricard's other LinkedIn account was just deleted.

eric.png
eric2.png

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I'm not disagreeing. I'm saying this has gotten genuinely hostile and people are running way too far with it.

I left gamefaqs after a decade of posting to get away from this exact atmosphere and I'm disappointed to see it here.

I'm leaving until this blows over.
I've been meaning to get away anyways since there still isn't any big news, so I may do that too. I got Luigi's Mansion on standby.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Jokes on everyone, I'm smarter AND better than everyone *flashback to earlier today when I accidentally nearly poked my eye with sharp cardboard cause I'm a dope and didn't see it* Face the facts, can't compare to me

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Also, I really don't understand how "this has all the fan-picks" is a point against the leak.

Ridley was a fan-pick.

K. Rool was a fan-pick.

While Sakurai only mentioned he took from the ballot in his K. Rool interview, he didn't say he did it only for K. Rool.

It's still very much possible, especially with how this game seems to have newcomers that try to satisfy nearly everyone.
The ballot comment Sakurai made about including Ballot characters is what has me thinking.
K. Rool is the only choice I think we can really trace to the Ballot. No other unique newcomer can be it seems.
Dark Samus and Chrom are in a weird situation where Sakurai had worked on Chrom and planned him for Smash 4 so having him as an Echo was a given.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Browsing through the ESRB leak thread was fun.

All sorts of similarities and differences between the reactions. I wonder if people will come back here and reading our reactions.

Saelind Genesis

Smash Apprentice
Honestly the "team" thing should just stop. Just share your opinion and that's it. Only reason why I say that is because teams seem to cause problems...
I, personally, am Team Wow This Is Really Interesting Haha, I'm Glad It's Got People Talking Again, Seems Very Plausible, Now to Wait And See If It Gets Confirmed Or Not.

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
im surprised these insiders have never commented about the box theory being an actual thing or not considering how comfortable some of them are with admitting incineroar and ken are in

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
Wait, so do you not believe that there's a possibility that the Smash leaks themselves are fake but the Grinch promotional materials are real? That's what I was under the impression of, but if you don't think that's a possible scenario, I would value your input.
There's plenty of potential ways this plays out. I'm much more willing to accept discrepancies if other aspects are legitimate.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908

Burb

The Absolute Worst
The point was that
>People dissing Gematsu because it decomfirm characters and a lot of pick people didn't want, while other believe it for their characters
>People dissing the ERSB leak because it decomfirm all characters people want
>People believing the Ridley Shadow because HE DID A GRAB
>People believing the Tower of Smash because it confirm characters they want

That was the point, it wasn't against the leak, it was an observation made in general for the leaks and how the pendulum swing in general for people believing/not believing a leak
Thank you.

Yes, the suspicious perfection is part of this leak's problem for me, but it's not the reason why I don't believe it.

Sakurai's comments about remaining characters/reveals made me skeptical, the discovery of the background being wrong is what killed it for me.

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Oh boy I sure am popular today. Lets respond to some quotes:

Honestly, Me I compared the situation to Sassy Geno since it was the most recent one, but yeah, Tower of Smash situation seems to be the kind of things.

>People getting super hyped
>People believing the leak without much question
>People discarding the Insiders that they all believed until now
>People wanting to believe this because it's better than "Not the owl starter Pokémon and an Echoes."

Just because, let's be real, that leak is the most optimistic scenario, basically fill up all big fan demands and have the characters they want...

I'm still team HMMMM- because there good stuff in both side, but most of the people believing the leak, mostly cling at this for some reasons, just like the double standard hypocrisy exemple I said earlier today with people not believing that the guy would ruin his job for **** and giggle, yet they asks the Insiders to maybe ruin the job of their sources just for their own satisfaction.

Honestly, best things to do is wait and see.
I agree. I may have formerly been Team Fake, but I'm willing to join Team Neutral because both sides have merit. I just don't like it when people ignore the merits of the other side for their own, which is what a lot of people on both sides have been doing.
Oh god, I remember the Tower of Smash leak.

Who did it say was in again?
It was Ridley, Dixie Kong, Impa, Chorus Kids, and Mewtwo, who would be unlocked if you linked the Wii U and 3DS versions. What do you know, those were the hot characters to support at the time, and people believed it despite Sakurai saying there'd be no characters exclusive to if you linked the two games because it had those characters.

Here's a link to the leak in its entirety. Read it over and realize how stupid it is as a whole.
TPC I'm not intending to be rude at all but you got kinda hostile about people being on a high horse a few days ago. I'm just saying this feels as though it's along the same lines.

You're 100% absolutely entitled to your opinion but just be cautious with stuff like this.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ If we're going by anime arcs than I'm Gray in the current Avatar arc. I've gone straight down the deep end into villiandom.

"I don't care about Sakurai. All I want is the Grinch. I will find him and I will end him."

Being serious, I'm arguing facts here. That's all I care about. If I see a weak argument I'm going to call it out, and if I see hypocrisy I'll do the same. People may not want to hear it, but I'm going to be as honest as I can be.
What does that make me, someone who believes the leak but doesn't give a **** about any of the characters?
A regular guy/gal I guess. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Look, I'm not saying that every fan believes in this one for bias reasons, but a majority of the fanbase does. It's most evident when, as I stated above, people ignore valid evidence from the other side and resort to opinions, personal interpretations, and hypotheticals.
okay nevermind now i'm convinced you're actually lumping me in with people

first of all how dare you
second of all i know you're intentionally ignoring me

do you wanna have a go, ponycorn
bro u wanna go i swear on me mum ill bash ye skull in m8.

Being serious again, you're fine dude. Yeah we may have our disagreements, but I appreciate you and your arguments. I didn't mean to ignore you previously; my bad on that one.
Yeah nah this is the point I step out.

You all can make character judgements over a ****ing video game leak, I'm just going to go do something else.

This is getting personal.
If you want to do that be my guest. Take a deep breath, go play some Animal Crossing, listen to music you like, read a book, whatever you do to relax, and come back if you want to. J
>tfw you were willing to support box theory because it fit all the evidence at the time, but now that you’re a Grunch supporter you’re deservedly lumped into the group DaybreakHorizon DaybreakHorizon can’t stand :(

I’m gonna have to revoke one of my earlier statements, discussion is starting to get a little toxic around here.

I wish I had time to participate more on the discussion, or the skill sets to look into the leak. All I can contribute is a strong gut feeling, I admit that.

I’d like to think I’ve been transparent this whole time, the characters that would make me freak would be Dee, Hades, Amaterasu, and Travis. I’m not supporting this leak because it’s favorable to me in any way.

I’m also starting to regret saying I liked that this leak happened. A lot of true colors are being shown and it’s not pleasant. Other than one or two people on each side, I do give serious cred to a lot of the debaters on each side, though. vaanrose vaanrose is a goddamn machine.
Look, I'm not saying that I hate everyone who supports the Grinch leak. I would actually love for the Grinch leak to be true. It's an absolute dream of a roster. What I dislike is the blatant biases present within some users' arguments and the unwillingness to acknowledge valid evidence that this leak could be fake.

I apologize if I've contributed to a "toxic discussion" of any sorts, but it's difficult to not do so when I'm attacked and have been attacked for expressing unpopular opinions in the past throughout this entire speculation cycle.

Last edited:

Tako Tuesday

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0245-5753-9220
Not to be off-topic, but i got my profile pic after a lot of hassle! I heard Noi was going to draw some of us? Can I be drawn too? I'd love to be a part of this anime.

Polan

Smash Lord
Thank you.

Yes, the suspicious perfection is part of this leak's problem for me, but it's not the reason why I don't believe it.

Sakurai's comments about remaining characters/reveals made be skeptical, the discovery of the background being wrong is what killed it for me.
oh hey look someone else is actually taking sakurai's comments seriously. feels good that i'm not the only one.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
The ballot comment Sakurai made about including Ballot characters is what has me thinking.
K. Rool is the only choice I think we can really trace to the Ballot. No other unique newcomer can be it seems.
Dark Samus and Chrom are in a weird situation where Sakurai had worked on Chrom and planned him for Smash 4 so having him as an Echo was a given.
Either way, I feel Ridley was at least based on fan-demand (and I feel like that may have been confirmed? I'm not sure, I just remember people mentioning Ridley was chosen because of the West), with Dark Samus also being mentioned to be based on fan-demand, so I wouldn't be surprised if Sakurai took from different samples/areas of the ballot or parts of the internet.

Last edited:

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
At this point in time I’m like 90% sure that it’s all an incredibly done ruse, but there’s this tiiiiiiiny little part of me that refuses to give up hope...

I believe those in the industry call this “denial”.

Someone help me please I can’t stop thinking about this ****

Last edited:

IcyBrawler

Smash Apprentice
I, personally, am Team Wow This Is Really Interesting Haha, I'm Glad It's Got People Talking Again, Seems Very Plausible, Now to Wait And See If It Gets Confirmed Or Not.
*gasp* You are still apart of a team, though. How dare you! /s

But seriously I'm pretty much the same. I personally think it's real (and I'm going to stick with that), but I do think there are some suspicious things about it and honestly it could go either way. I can't wait until it's proven real or fake, the sooner the better in my opinion.

Darkurai

Smash Master
Poor Eric probably being harassed.
Honestly it's kinda gross that people are hounding him so much.

No matter how convincing a leak is, if there's even a small chance that it could possibly be fake, is it worth risking someone's career or well-being (mental, emotional, or otherwise) over?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom