• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
It's obvious these blog posts are revealing significant changes to characters. So why the hell have we not seen Young Link's final smash since he's never had one? Pichu's was revealed.
Well there's two explanations for this:
They weren't finished with it yet and it's a copy of Tri-force slash
They weren't finished with it yet and it's actually something entirely new.

My guess is it's the tri-force slash except he pulls the master sword out and becomes Adult Link during it considering Ultimate's Young Link doesn't reference Majora's Mask compared to Ocarina of Time.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I will criticize those games and I will also criticize Smash when it comes to that; Smash is my favorite series, but I can understand when it falters. Just bcause some other things don't give me Directs doesn't mean I can't have valid criticisms for how Smash can handle news.
I suppose. I just hope you realize how freaking petty it sounds to be like "Yeah, they do this thing better than anyone else is doing it. But it sure is lame of them that they aren't doing it even BETTER."

Amiibo Doctor

Smash Ace
Writing Team
NNID
AmiiboMD
It's obvious these blog posts are revealing significant changes to characters. So why the hell have we not seen Young Link's final smash since he's never had one? Pichu's was revealed.
Young Link's final smash is him putting on all his masks, screaming and watching his own soul get sucked out of his body. Nintendo is just waiting to reveal it so the ESRB doesn't give it an M rating before Christmas.

nintenplayer

Smash Journeyman
As a Luigi's Mansion fan, I'm happy Luigi's finally getting some PROPER representation.

As a Luigi main, I'm scared for the future of his throw combos

Last edited:

NineS

Smash Lord
Well there's two explanations for this:
They weren't finished with it yet and it's a copy of Tri-force slash
They weren't finished with it yet and it's actually something entirely new.

My guess is it's the tri-force slash except he pulls the master sword out and becomes Adult Link during it considering Ultimate's Young Link doesn't reference Majora's Mask compared to Ocarina of Time.
True.
I wish it referenced Majora's Mask.

I do find it odd though that Young Link has a bow and fire arrows instead of a slingshot, something he could only use in Majora's mask, whereas Adult Link uses the bows in Ocarina of Time.

SonicMario

Smash Master
I'm just waiting for that time we finally get to hear a Sonic track on the blog. And it better be something new as well.
I'm unfortunately starting to think there might not be a Sonic remix to put up ever since the Music theory died (And I don't even mean it just pointing to characters part of it, just a 2nd Fire Emblem and Mega Man track kinda destroys the thought that most of the franchises left were going to get a bit of music spotlight). All the songs are probably going to be tracks brought from the original games.

There might still be a Sonic remix in the game for all we know. But I don't know if Sonic music will get a day before release now.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
So, Luigi's throws use the poltergust?
Finally, Luigi's Mansion is getting legit representation...

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Tether grabs can be underwhelming, but they aren't always so bad. Zero Suit Samus still manages to have a frightening grab game despite having one, even if it is very high commitment. Landing especially can be kind of anoying against tethers since they outrange most attacks you might try to throw out to protect yourself, and they can be used to punish moves that would otherwise be safe. Not to mention that tether and psuedo-tether grabs dodges the universal grab nerf (and I think I heard Pac's got sped up).

Meanwhile Luigi's kit in 4 felt like it was designed for a combo heavy playstyle, so I can't imagine them giving him a bad D-throw. If he new D-throw isn't an effective combo tool I'll be very surprised.

Iridium

Smash Hero
True.

I do find it odd though that Young Link has a bow and fire arrows instead of a slingshot, something he could only use in Majora's mask, whereas Adult Link uses the bows in Ocarina of Time.
I mean, :link64::linkmelee: used the Boomerang back when they couldn't in Ocarina of Time, so I guess there's that. I guess to Sakurai, "If it works, it just works".

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
True.

Well Adult Link in Melee also uses the boomerang which is a child-exclusive trait, so it's more likely a holdover from that.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I think it's more likely that Young Link's FS is going to be a Fierce Deity attack. Even if it just ends up being a Fierce Deity tri-force slash.

IronTed

Smash Ace
True.

In all fairness, his trophy in Melee specifically mentions the original Zelda, not Majora's Mask. Granted it doesn't explain the fire arrows though.

TyrantLizardKing

Smash Lord
Yeesh, I read through several pages of people moaning about poor marketing only for a total 180 over text saying Luigi now tosses people around with a vacuum. That's Nintendo for you, folks.
GAME:

Smash Bros trailer starts, a music starts playing...
What music would make you HYPE?

-------------------------

For me , this one:
Easily this:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kTBbTSjZpI
Funny you, I remember clearly the chat being unable to recognize ****ING BOMBER OPENING MISSION and like most people though it was Wolf.

Never in my life I was so triggered to look at the chat, and even worst to look a the reactions.
Want to know something? Not everyone has played Final Fantasy 7 like you have. Shocker that some people thought stars meant Wolf, isn't it?

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Tether grabs can be underwhelming, but they aren't always so bad. Zero Suit Samus still manages to have a frightening grab game despite having one, even if it is very high commitment. Landing especially can be kind of anoying against tethers since they outrange most attacks you might try to throw out to protect yourself, and they can be used to punish moves that would otherwise be safe. Not to mention that tether and psuedo-tether grabs dodges the universal grab nerf (and I think I heard Pac's got sped up).

Meanwhile Luigi's kit in 4 felt like it was designed for a combo heavy playstyle, so I can't imagine them giving him a bad D-throw. If he new D-throw isn't an effective combo tool I'll be very surprised.
I want my boi to get a kill throw at the very least. Grabbing is ALWAYS a high risk for him, so I want a reward that matches it...

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I think it's more likely that Young Link's FS is going to be a Fierce Deity attack. Even if it just ends up being a Fierce Deity tri-force slash.
I honestly don't see why it would be considering 99% of him is purely using Ocarina of Time abilities with I think 1 reference to Majora's Mask being the new fairy taunt.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
So after tonight's update, Yoshi is the last member of the original twelve that hasn't been shown off yet.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
Does anyone speak Japanese and have the ability to actually translate what is meant here? If they correctly and precisely translated "throw", then it's worrying but maybe okay since different throw animations are just different and even though we started off with a really good set maybe the new ones are just as good. If they meant "grab" as in "Luigi is now a tether grab character", I don't understand where this optimism is coming from Luigi's moveset is horribly built to utilize a tether grab welcome to low tier buddy unless there's a ton of other context around this character we aren't seeing yet. Like maybe a tether grab Luigi benefits so much from attacking while sliding and has a ton of other buffs and somehow just overcomes how lousy having a tether grab is for him to be good anyway, but that would be hoping for things we don't know to happen in his favor to make up for something lousy about him we're just learning which is not what I'd call a reason to celebrate.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
I suppose. I just hope you realize how freaking petty it sounds to be like "Yeah, they do this thing better than anyone else is doing it. But it sure is lame of them that they aren't doing it even BETTER."
In retrospect (from a few hours ago) yea what Smash does is awesome. I do still believe their marketing this time around isn't the smartest but I do love those bursts of hype. It's when they give us nothing more for months that I start to become impatient, you know? Apologies to sound petty.

SigmaMewtwo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SigmaMewtwo
3DS FC
4957-6442-1100
Switch FC
SW-7484-8678-9192
I want my boi to get a kill throw at the very least. Grabbing is ALWAYS a high risk for him, so I want a reward that matches it...
I just had a thought: what if when Yoshi succeeds in grabbing his opponent and then launches them out, they receive a temporary speed debuff? Like getting covered in saliva or something? Make it last a few seconds or something, so that Yoshi is more likely to get a free hit in. That could maybe balance out a lack of kill potential on his throws.

alemerltoucanet

Smash Lord
NNID
AngrySilverBird
I'm unfortunately starting to think there might not be a Sonic remix to put up ever since the Music theory died (And I don't even mean it just pointing to characters part of it, just a 2nd Fire Emblem and Mega Man track kinda destroys the thought that most of the franchises left were going to get a bit of music spotlight). All the songs are probably going to be tracks brought from the original games.

There might still be a Sonic remix in the game for all we know. But I don't know if Sonic music will get a day before release now.
I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
If they meant "grab" as in "Luigi is now a tether grab character", I don't understand where this optimism is coming from Luigi's moveset is horribly built to utilize a tether grab welcome to low tier buddy unless there's a ton of other context around this character we aren't seeing yet. Like maybe a tether grab Luigi benefits so much from attacking while sliding and has a ton of other buffs and somehow just overcomes how lousy having a tether grab is for him to be good anyway, but that would be hoping for things we don't know to happen in his favor to make up for something lousy about him we're just learning which is not what I'd call a reason to celebrate.
Because I don't give a **** where Luigi places on the tier list. I'm happy he's finally starting to act like Luigi.

amazonevan19

Smash Ace
WTF

Today's blog is LUIGI??

He wasn't last OR on Halloween???

Ok NOW I know Nintendo's ****ed up marketing for this game hardcore. /s

Seriously though that's so weird that is Luigi. Shows they're not really putting a ton of thought into themed blogs. Or just much of any thought into the blog in general. :p

JustCallMeJon

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3067-7373-5050
Switch FC
SW 4274 8573 0226
Luigi now uses a tether grab but what action will he grab the opponent with the Poltergust?

Will he suck the character like a vacuum or use a plunger to pulled them back?

He uses the new Poltergust from LM2 at Simon's trailer so a plunger is possible.

Last edited:

lightdrago

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW 2938 1058 0987
WTF

Today's blog is LUIGI??

Seriously though that's so weird that is Luigi. Shows they're not really putting a ton of thought into themed blogs. Or just much of any thought into the blog in general. :p
Not that i believe they’ll base off the blog post due to some theme, but they still have Bayonetta if they wanted to do a Halloween type thing.

Amiibo Doctor

Smash Ace
Writing Team
NNID
AmiiboMD
WTF

Today's blog is LUIGI??

Not showing off Luigi for Halloween only makes sense in these three situations:
1. There is a better character that fits Halloween (Skull Kid? Unless somebody can think of something better)
2. Nintendo doesn't care about themes
3. Reggie is being held hostage by Greg Heffley and his ransom is to put in some nobody for Halloween

SigmaMewtwo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SigmaMewtwo
3DS FC
4957-6442-1100
Switch FC
SW-7484-8678-9192
Because I don't give a **** where Luigi places on the tier list. I'm happy he's finally starting to act like Luigi.
:132:, I care more about how faithful a character is to their game/series than how high or low they are on a tier list.

NineS

Smash Lord
Not showing off Luigi for Halloween only makes sense in these three situations:
1. There is a better character that fits Halloween (Skull Kid? Unless somebody can think of something better)
2. Nintendo doesn't care about themes
3. Reggie is being held hostage by Greg Heffley and his ransom is to put in some nobody for Halloween
Bayonetta and Meta Knight fit the Halloween theme, with Meta Knight being bat-ish, and Bayonetta being the wicked witch.

Iridium

Smash Hero
So yeah, we have 15 characters to go for the blog posts. Hopefully we got some good info each week, assuming there's a post each week. I need to see what they did with :ultmetaknight: and :ultroy: soon.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
In regards to my Inceneroar post earlier.

I actually really want Inceneroar. I would really like for him to be the Smash Bros. Equivalent of King. I actively support the dude. The thing is Vergeben. Trusting this dude to a T feels like a bad idea. Other than that, it's just a gut feeling I have and my gut feelings have been pretty on point this time around (unlike Smash For). And I don't think Vergeben is rock solid. He's been wrong before and it's a possibility he could be wrong in this, we won't know until Inceneroar is confirmed or disconfirmed. And on the Greninja thing, this isn't Smash For. I know this has been thrown around a lot but I truly believe that this game is being done differently. I don't think that the new Pokemon will come from Sun & Moon and I think if it isn't then there won't be one. I dunno. I'd love to be wrong, and I very likely will be, but I've just been thinking on it recently that, hey, maybe we shouldn't EXPECT him. Might blow up in our face.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom