• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Iridium

Smash Hero
Luigi tried to escape from the dead, but got yanked by Death. No update on his condition yet.

Edit: :ultgreninja:'d.

Last edited:

RandomAce

Smash Champion
It’s Luigi and the blog revealed that he’s using his poltergeist for his grab and throw.

HOLY ****!

Also RIP his grab game if it’s laggier.

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

Simple and Clean
Premium
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
You know I don't really trust Vergeben to the fullest like most have and at the beginning of this Speculation Cycle i stated that i had this gut feeling that there wouldn't be a Pokemon Newcomer this time around. Y'know what? I got that feeling again. I don't know what it is about this game, maybe it's because of there not being a singular most popular Pokemon right now, but something is just rubbing me the wrong way. All these theories floating around, everyone thinking that this character is a lock, and everyone believing one way or the other about the box is giving me Smash For Chrom flashbacks. Chrom was a lock, the leak said so, and then he wasn't there. Anybody else thinking right now: "what if?"
I respect your opinion dude, but Vergeben is rock solid. Incineroar will be in this game, otherwise I'll eat my pants.

Trust me on this one.
It’s Luigi and the blog revealed that he’s using his poltergeist for his grab and throw.

HOLY ****!

Also RIP his grab game if it’s laggier.
It'll either be a massive boon for him (like ZSS), or absolutely horrible (like Pac-Man).

Hopefully it's the former.

Last edited:

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
So with :ultluigi:'s poltergeist being used for his throws does this mean we can expect a new final smash?

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Hey Smash blogs?
These blog posts? The ones that have a neat previously unknown tidbit of your "140,000 changes"?

Yeah, do those more often.
With regards, smashboards

Last edited:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Incineroar will be in this game, otherwise I'll eat my pants.
I like a challenge.
I'll take you on with this, Ponycorn.

EDIT: The difficulty of this challenge for me is that I want Masked Royal... who will have an Incineroar.

Last edited:

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
You know I don't really trust Vergeben to the fullest like most have and at the beginning of this Speculation Cycle i stated that i had this gut feeling that there wouldn't be a Pokemon Newcomer this time around. Y'know what? I got that feeling again. I don't know what it is about this game, maybe it's because of there not being a singular most popular Pokemon right now, but something is just rubbing me the wrong way. All these theories floating around, everyone thinking that this character is a lock, and everyone believing one way or the other about the box is giving me Smash For Chrom flashbacks. Chrom was a lock, the leak said so, and then he wasn't there. Anybody else thinking right now: "what if?"
Honestly, the same thing could be said for Smash 4’s speculation period. There was no clear Gen 6 favorite, and people wondered if Gen 6 came too early to get a newcomer, let alone one that would be known to become popular around fans.

As it turned out, there was a popular Pokémon chosen as a newcomer, and it wasn’t chosen because it was popular (as the game wasn’t out yet), but rather as what’s seems to be part of a specific strategy where the Pokémon Company would MAKE SURE that Pokémon would become popular through marketing and such.

Vergeben aside, I really think Incineroar will be in a similar situation. Despite Decidueye seeming to have been more popular at first, all the marketing and promotion shifts towards Incineroar, who slowly shifts his way into being the top dog, err, cat. This will all end, of course, with Ash getting his Incineroar in the anime, and Incineroar being announce for Smash some time after or before.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
SAKURAI DO YOU WANT TO EXPLAIN WHY YOU HAVEN'T ONCE SHOWN OFF LUIGI'S NEW THROW

AND HOW YOU STILL HAVEN'T ACTUALLY SHOWN IT OFF BECAUSE ITS NOT IN HIS DANG HIGHLIGHT VIDEO?!

:mad088:

I mean it's probably because it was a later addition but come on I wanna see...

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I think what I'm looking forward to most is who the first DLC character will be. Despite the fact that I loved pretty much every DLC pick (despite not having played Street Fighter of Final Fantasy VII at the time), I do wonder how DLC will be handled.

If, for example, the rumored Square Enix character is our first DLC pick, then the identity of that pick might have some implications. If it's Geno, then we could very well see characters like Isaac or Bandanna Dee follow him as "fan favorites". If it's another Square pick that isn't a popular pick from the Smash community, then who knows what else we'll see.

Based on the repetition of many topics of discussion among Smash forums, I think DLC prospects may be a good way to go. This is especially if Incineroar and Ken are all we have for base roster coming our way. There's no way to know until we're directly told "this is it" though.

That said, the first DLC pick might be either in the final Smash Direct, or it'll be at VGA. Nintendo has had a presence there the last few years, with BOTW having the launch date and trailer being shown off there, and then Bayonetta 3 coming at us last year. With Smash Ultimate coming out the following day, I think there's no doubt that there's going to be something. I myself will be the first to say that Nintendo has many other important IP's to tend to, but the Video Game Awards are literally the night before. While that is airing, people will be out at Gamestops, Best Buy's, or other stores waiting to get their line numbers. They will be shaking with excitement to get this game. What an amazing way to capitalize on that, in having a huge announcement for a DLC character at one of the (meh) largest events of the year. Pokemon Let's Go is out of the way, the only remaining title of the year for the Holiday season will literally be Smash.

I wouldn't necessarily believe any leak that says, "X is announced at VGA" because I think there will be an announcement there.

I actually wouldn't be surprised at this point (and yes, I may be hyping myself up) if there's at least a first character as DLC announcement in the Smash Direct, and then a curveball 2nd DLC character at VGA.

I don't even know who to expect, because we don't have enough information. In my humble opinion, I think Spring Man/ Ribbon Girl semi-echo (because 1:1 echo wouldn't necessarily work or make sense...think like Chrom) Rex & Pyra, and at least 1 3rd Party character are good bets for DLC. Spring Man and Rex provide amazing gameplay potential and simply make sense, especially if this game is going to be supported for a decent amount of time with additional content.

Based on the audience of the Video Game Awards, if there's a DLC reveal there, I could see a more "hardcore" appeal character, or at least someone that fans of any specific console could appreciate. Sora fits that. I'm not saying I think it's absolutely going to be Sora, but just imagine for a moment what a Cloud or Snake reveal would be like at the Video Game Awards. It'd be a ridiculously hype moment in the industry, especially for a game that specifically celebrates the medium.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
RIP old Down-Throw, it was fun.

So with :ultluigi:'s poltergeist being used for his throws does this mean we can expect a new final smash?
Probably not, what could it even be? The Brawl one doesn't mesh with the new Fast and Agressive gimmick, and the only other good option (Luiginary Forms) comes from the RPGs, which hardly have anything.

NineS

Smash Lord
You don't have to be as cool as that guy. Because you're even COOLER than that.

That's what my mom always told me anyway. And moms never lie.
My mom told me Santa was real, the easter bunny was real, and that babies came out of the [REDACTED].

Now I didn't used to believe her on that last one, but imagine my surprise and horror when I discovered which was real and which of these were fake.

Last edited:

Iridium

Smash Hero
I love how all the good info from the blog posts obviously come from characters we haven't seen played yet. At least this helps with the drought, no?

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

Simple and Clean
Premium
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Either Death killed him... again.

Or he was ambushed by King Boo.
Nah. Luigi is the one who ambushes King Boo.

See?

I like a challenge.
I'll take you on with this, Ponycorn.

EDIT: The difficulty of this challenge for me is that I want Masked Royal... who will have an Incineroar.
So if Incineroar isn't in the game, you'll eat pants?

I sure hope you enjoy pants.

Last edited:

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
Yeah I kind of have a feeling Isaac will come out of nowhere and surprise everyone because of Sakurai's tweet hinting at him.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
I wonder about Luigi getting new throws. His throw collection in 4 was really pretty oustanding, one of the best combo dthrows in the game, a bthrow that kills kinda near the edge, and generally very quick animations on fthrow and uthrow which is really what you want on those types of moves. That makes me think that a change has a serious risk of being a downgrade, but I guess we'll see. Low key I think Luigi stood to be a massive winner from the engine changes already (being free to attack out of all sliding/skidding animations is ridiculously amazing for Luigi), but he definitely really needs to still have that good combo dthrow to make sense as a character.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
So if Incineroar isn't in the game, you'll eat pants?

I sure hope you enjoy pants.
If he is in the game as a fighter on his own, then yes, I'll eat pant
With this, I'll plant my flag in the "absolutely not in (on his own)" camp. Just cause I have a gambling problem.

SigmaMewtwo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SigmaMewtwo
3DS FC
4957-6442-1100
Switch FC
SW-7484-8678-9192
That's really neat, I wonder how the poltergust functions, since it likely won't act identical to Samus' or Toon Link's grabs.
I'm hoping that it will have a suction effect, where it will bring his enemies towards him as he uses it when they're within a certain range. Maybe it could automatically grab them if he can leave it out and they run straight into him like an auto-grab of sorts? That would make for an interesting way to shake-up a tether-like throw at least.

Otherwise, I am also hoping that as his grab, he'll be able to use it as some sort of additional recovery tool.

Iridium

Smash Hero
Now I need to know what Luigi's pummel will look like. Question of the year here, folks.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom