• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord
Everyone hoping for a Direct announcement soon, kind of makes me wonder a bit.. Didn't nintendo announce their LAST direct the night before it was gonna air. and then an earthquake hit so it got postponed a week but wasnt announced the postponed time til the night before again?

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
In the same vain however, I won't play with item and on certain stages, because dying to things beyond my control infuriates me, even more than losing in a clean match
That's why you make a custom stage that's a giant square (box) so that you bounce all over the place instead of flying into the blast zone :p I'm not the only one who makes stages like that, am I?

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
As much as I don't like Melee, the fact that it draws in the numbers it does 17 years after its release speaks volumes.
So does Marvel vs Capcom 2 and that game is beyond broken.

It's all still subjective..like I don't enjoy playing Melee anymore, honestly, so for me the best Smash game is Wii U and will likely end up being Ultimate.

Applebutter61

Smash Journeyman
There's much, MUCH more to Smash Bros than a competitive experience. Smash Bros is a celebration of Nintendo and it's history. The characters, stages, items, music, trophies, and every other little detail in these games mean a lot to people.
Judging a game like Smash PURELY on its competitive side is ignoring a lot of what makes Smash special.
I think looking at the smash games as "objectively superior or inferior" in comparison to one another is ignorant. They're all different, all offer different experiences, and all mean different things to different people.

For example, if you value single player experiences, then you're going to love brawl, and probably will think its a "superior game" in comparison to Melee.
Nobody is right or wrong, but when you say "Brawl is considered to be inferior", I think you're talking strictly from a competitive point of view, which is by no means objective. Its an opinion.

Believe it or not, some people just do not like how fast Melee is. Some people don't like the physics. They don't like the way it works. Some people prefer the later games. And no matter how much you may BELIEVE Melee is "superior", at the end of the day, that's just the way hardcore Melee fans view things.
When I said melee is superior, I said that only applies in a competitive perspective. Like I said, brawl had a far better one player mode for example.

Meritocracy

Smash Apprentice
Everyone knows SonicFox will go for an instant rematch if he loses
He will transform into his final form, unleash his Devil Trigger, go Super Saiyan, use 100% of his quirk, touch the power of the tailed beast and awaken his seventh sense.
He will put the fursuit on
If this happen so and ZeRo still wins,
It should posted on YouTube by some random small channel like lil' Dan and called Sonicfox exposed

Untouch

Smash Master
Find Mii and Tomodachi life were both 3DS stages so they barely had much music, I could see this being added to the Find Mii stage at least.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
When I said melee is superior, I said that only applies in a competitive perspective. Like I said, brawl had a far better one player mode for example.
But is Melee's competitive scene "superior" to Smash 4's competitive scene? Some people may think so, and some people may think otherwise. It's hard to say which one's superior

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
If we get something tomorrow, the 10 days pattern will still work, as today would be day 9 (I previously thought yesterday being over would make Day 9, but I just goofed even when knowing that the playlist updated on Sept. 30th...).

I'm not gonna expect anything, though...

Applebutter61

Smash Journeyman
Smash 4 has
- A lower barrier to entry
- A much larger roster
- A much more balanced roster

To say Melee is objectively better competitively is objectively false. It's 100% subjective.
"much more balanced roster" Haha, ok, let's pretend bayo isn't in the game. And, a "lower barrier entry" isn't necessarily a good thing. A larger roster is really fun, of course, but, again, Melee is better from a competitive standpoint. Casually, brawl and smash 4 are amazing. Even competitively, though, smash 4 and even brawl aren't bad games, they just are as good as melee.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
That sounds... Counter productive.
I actually really enjoy making stages like that. I find those kind of stages to be a lot of fun, but that's because making custom stages is one of my favorite things to do in Smash

Applebutter61

Smash Journeyman
Applying "objectively" to a subjective statement. That is why I disagree.

The concept that Melee is objectively better due to its controller complexity and faster gameplay is what pushes away people who don't like Melee. (That and a usually pompous attitude that oozes from Melee-only purists, but that's a whole different discussion.) One cannot apply objective arguments to a subjective debate. Melee also has downfalls, such as an extremely limited number of players who win major tournaments, an extremely limited number of viable top 8 characters, age, and a much higher skill curve than what is acceptable for many players who prefer Smash 4. THis is why it cannot objectively be a better competitive game; all of these assessments are subjective.

It's like how I prefer to watch American football-- it's complex, it has gaps in the gameplay to digest and talk, it has a structured, easy to plan for schedule, every score is a significant moment-- but there are many in my area who prefer basketball-- fairly simple game, quicker games, much more scoring, fewer breaks, etc. Neither is objectively a better game than the other. Football meets my preferences. Basketball meets my friends'. They're both competitive games worth playing and watching, and arguing which one is better is a stupid argument to have.
Melee's funner. :)

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Wait, there's ANOTHER pattern people are imagini-- I mean, seeing?
If you managed to stop looking for anything looking green or like a dino, you would know that it has been almost 10 day since we're talking about it. :nifty:

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
That sounds... Counter productive.
Hey, I had a lot of fun with enclosed stages; sure, it’s futile, but it can be pretty funny (and it makes the times where someone does get KO’ed by clipping through the walls especially special.)

I once watched a tournament on a livestream where it was team matches on enclosed stages only, Special Flags turned on, so the goal is to get points by using the Special Flags, so it requires teamwork to ensure you can use the Flags safely and prevent the enemies from using them.

You can also use enclosed stages for things like an equivalent of Sandbag Soccer / Basketball from SSF2, where you have a third character be on the stage and be AFK so that they can be used as the ball.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
But is Melee's competitive scene "superior" to Smash 4's competitive scene? Some people may think so, and some people may think otherwise. It's hard to say which one's superior
Yeah, I'd say so.
Viewers, players, tournament goers, advertising, sponsorships, documentaries, interviews, history character variety, etc. The melee competitive community probably does it better.

Unless you wanna say "but that's just your opiiiiiinion" in which case we can end the conversation here because that isn't really conducive to further conversation.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Oh, so it was the PLAYLIST thing.

I thought there was an explanation on why that happened that was disappointing, like it was to fix a typo or something...
That could definitely be it, but it still hasn't been 10 whole days since the playlist updated.
I'm not expecting anything, but you never know...

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
Hey, I had a lot of fun with enclosed stages; sure, it’s futile, but it can be pretty funny (and it makes the times where someone does get KO’ed by clipping through the walls especially special.)

I once watched a tournament on a livestream where it was team matches on enclosed stages only, Special Flags turned on, so the goal is to get points by using the Special Flags, so it requires teamwork to ensure you can use the Flags safely and prevent the enemies from using them.

You can also use enclosed stages for things like an equivalent of Sandbag Soccer / Basketball from SSF2, where you have a third character be on the stage and be AFK so that they can be used as the ball.
With the special flags game, is it basically whoever has the most lives wins when the timer runs out?

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Do description changes update playlists? I also remember someone saying they went through and didn't notice a difference, and someone saying something like minor changes to video descriptions don't update the whole playlist as then the time the playlist was created would be messed up, but idk...

Last edited:

Meritocracy

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, I'd say so.
Viewers, players, tournament goers, advertising, sponsorships, documentaries, interviews, history character variety, etc. The melee competitive community probably does it better.

Unless you wanna say "but that's just your opiiiiiinion" in which case we can end the conversation here because that isn't really conducive to further conversation.
Yeah, it feels like somebody need to do something for sm4sh that never ended up being done, it feels like sm4sh had the potential to rival Melee, but we done goofed and it didn't end up happening

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Do please keep Melee vs other Smash games discussion to a bare minimum since it tends to attract trolling, flaming, and other problems.

Last edited:

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Here’s an early Christmas present to everyone...

9D99615F-5A19-4232-BF7A-2B56AD7E38E2.png

Happy (early) holidays. I hope everyone gets what they want in Smash. For me, I want this. Hohoho.

Last edited:

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
This last leg of Smash 4's competitive life has been characterized by two Bayonetta's ****ing around during EVO grand finals while the entire crowd boo'd them. Smash 4's competitive community has A LOT of growing up to do, and it doesn't help that's it rather spoiled due to receiving so many resources and recognition despite it's youth.

Ultimate may be a catalyst for a better competitive Smash with all the new things it's implementing to assist in that, but that won't make the actual scene any better.

JustCallMeJon

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3067-7373-5050
Switch FC
SW 4274 8573 0226
Ok riddle me this, y'all:

Explain that Lol
This video is explain his reason why Smash 4 decline in popularity. There is no other true reason of why competitive Smash 4 decline aside of possibly Ultimate.

Also, we should stop this Melee vs Smash 4 debate please, this is getting out of context.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom