• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
This is very unlikely, but how would people feel if Vergeben got Incineroar wrong and the Music Theory was actually true?
It'd suck for Incineroar fans.

I'd be interested in how Incineroar would play, as he's not just a fire cat, but a heel, so he could use wrestling moves and chairs. It'd probably be fun.

I'd also be disappointed because Music Theory turns out true.

Last edited:

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
SonicFox is one of the better DBFZ players in the world, assuming you have seen some tourneys. I would say he really started this, but he probably won't take it so easily. He even attended a Smash 4 local recently, but didn't fare well, for obvious reasons.

Anyway, it's going to be something good.
I have not seen any tournaments, simply because it's just not really my thing

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Hey, time for a timed leak that might get debunked tonight.

http://boards.4chan.org/v/thread/434643471

Direct will be announced tomorrow: 10AM PST. Roughly 19 minutes long. Will feature trailers for Incineroar and Skull Kid + a few new modes including Master/Crazy Orders, Masterpieces, and Spirits.

The music track dropping tonight will be Lightning Battle from Kid Icarus Uprising.
Time to get our watches Gentlemens.

beans

Smash Lord
My bet is that I'm not gonna pay any attention to the competitive scene :p lol. I've heard about Zero recently, but I don't think I've heard of this SonicFox guy
SonicFox is the guy who does the chair dances in Fighterz
I mean, how else would he beat a japanese guy?

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
One quarter would be laughing their hides off, one quarter would be cursing him and sending him death threats, one quarter would be rubbing it in the faces of those who believed him, and one quarter wouldn't give a flying peck. It's all based on how people feel towards these situations.
Agreed. I tend to believe him based on what's been revealed so far, but it's just the current theory that makes the most sense to me. I don't care if it's wrong, my identity isn't tied to Vergeben.

D

Deleted member

You know people are dying in this drought when I have seen people say 'Do you think we will get information tomorrow?' Every day for a week straight.
Welcome to March, April, May, and July.

Mercy be on our sanity, or at the very least, what's left of it.

I b E t T h E d I r e C T w i L l H a p P e N A n Y D A Y N o W...EheEehEHehheeheheEeeheHEHHEHEHEHE....

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
You know people are dying in this drought when I have seen people say 'Do you think we will get information tomorrow?' Every day for a week straight.
We've had way longer droughts before but this is still pretty dry for other reasons.

Kind of the main reason why I'm not posting here as much anymore. I'm not interested in supporting or arguing against most of the current theories and seeing them get discussed repeatedly without really going anywhere new just gets boring for me.

Nice ghoul School avatar
Thanks lol. Watched it and a lot of other Scooby movies frequently as a kid, and just earlier I found out that Ghoul School's characters made a sudden reappearance (after nearly three decades...yeah) in a crossover on a Cartoon Network show for it's Halloween episode. It's not a show that I watch, but I'm considering trying it more than I was before, now that I've heard it's gotten this bizarre (yet amazing) crossover.

Pakky

Smash Hero
see I can appreciate leaks like these where we instantly know if it's bull**** or not.

He gives specifics on the music track and the date/time of announcement. Doesn't mean it's guaranteed true but FINALLY something to be somewhat hopeful about.
mmmm Very tasty!

Will this turn into a delicious meal or just be a turd in the pile of disappointment that is fake leak culture?

Last edited:

JustCallMeJon

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3067-7373-5050
Switch FC
SW 4274 8573 0226
All in all, the choice of being a competitive player or a casual is all up to you.

If you love playing casually, try it. Smash does not hurt you. Same goes as playing competitively. If someone make fun of you for playing the style that they do not want you to play, ignore it. They do not crush your life, it is more of a interference than everything.

I am a competitive Smash 4 lover that loves to watch Melee, but if there is someone that wants to play with me with all items and all stages, I will still play with them. I am not going to force them to play with no items and legal stages, it will ruin their view of playing Smash bros. Beside, I will look like a jerk if I refuse to play with them.

The way to play Smash is based on your persepctive: if you want to play in a more party-esque fun, then do it. If you want to play with a more technical and hardcore style, then do it.

This is why Smash Bros is so beloved and unique by many. It is unlike any other fighting games because it not only brings the competitive players, but also the casuals too.

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
Thanks lol. Watched it and a lot of other Scooby movies frequently as a kid, and just earlier I found out that Ghoul School's characters made a sudden reappearance (after nearly three decades...yeah) in a crossover on a Cartoon Network show for it's Halloween episode. It's not a show that I watch, but I'm considering trying it more than I was before, now that I've heard it's gotten this bizarre (yet amazing) crossover.
OK KO is pretty good. It's more comedy than story but if you're into that it's a good time.

Untouch

Smash Master
I wonder if the Tomodachi stage is going to have some Miitopia songs, some of the songs in that game are bangers.

Meritocracy

Smash Apprentice
All this talk about competitive vs. casual Smash has reminded me of ZeRo vs. SonicFox 3 months after Ultimate releases. Any new bets?
Heh, heh, heh, hahahahahahahaha.
Sonic fox v ZeRo will either make or break Ultimates competitive scene before it really has one
Best case scenario: ZeRo mops the floor with Sonicfox and does the windows while he's at it. This gives smash real credibility, you can't just waltz in and beat our best player with 3 months of practice, it legitimizes out sport
Worst case scenario:Sonic fox wins, at all. This shows that just any one can be good at smash, with three months practice you can be better than the best. We need ZeRo to win this, like it or not.

Last edited:

Yoshisaurus Rex

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-1023-7514-9432
19 minute direct you say? If it is true (which I doubt it is), it would be one crammed direct.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
Which Smash characters does your gf choose?
My Grand Finals tend to see a lot of Bayonetta and Sonic.

If you're talking about Melee though, Marth and Ganon are popular choices for Grand Finals around here.

:)

Narr

AN ORB OF MANY TALENTS
NNID
LordChrom
3DS FC
1289-8310-9030
Switch FC
SW 8256 5756 1598
The better sports analogy might be saying whether you prefer to watch (In american football BTW) College Football or the NFL. Both effectively the same sport, but they do vary in some significant areas here and there because some of the basic rules are changed (Ex: You only need one foot down near the sidelines to advance or score a touchdown after a catch, NFL requires the much harder to perform two feet on the ground) or harder to perform.

I don't know which game is closer to which league though. Could make the argument College football is more like Smash 4 with alot more competitors and accessible since it's mainly actual students across the nation becoming players while you generally have to a good amount of skill in order to make the NFL. At the same time though College Football in it's playoffs tend to be the same teams every year lately with Alabama and Clemson. And while the NFL has powerhouses like the Patriots, the playoff picture is often very different from the year before. There's more parity in the NFL compared to College.
the most apt comparison i've heard is rugby union vs. rugby league.

the way i heard it, rugby league is a simpler game with less scoring that's easier for a spectator to follow (like smash 4) while rugby union is deeper, has more scoring, and is harder for spectators to understand (like melee)

though rugby league is the more fast-paced aggressive one so you could argue it's more like melee but whatever

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
So do you think Incenaroar won't be revealed any time soon?
Probably not, unless he really is the last non-echo newcomer. Otherwise I wouldn't be surprised if all non-echo newcomers (however few there are) from franchises that already have a track on the website were to be saved until the last Smash Direct.

D

Deleted member

I wonder if the Tomodachi stage is going to have some Miitopia songs, some of the songs in that game are bangers.
Anything from that game would make this game an instant 10/10 into an 11/10. 12/10 if I can get some Ebb & Flow and Fly Octo Fly from Splatoon in there too.

For those who haven't listened to Miitopia's OST, please do. It features amazing music such as this:

My dream it to dominate For Glory with Dedede to this.

Okay, okay, if you want the REAL top tier songs, it has stuff like this:

Meritocracy

Smash Apprentice
All in all, the choice of being a competitive player or a casual is all up to you.

If you love playing casually, try it. Smash does not hurt you. Same goes as playing competitively. If someone make fun of you for playing the style that they do not want you to play, ignore it. They do not crush your life, it is more of a interference than everything.

I am a competitive Smash 4 lover that loves to watch Melee but if there is someone that wants to play with me with all items and all stages, I will still play with them. I am not going to force them to play with no items and legal stages, it will ruin their view of playing Smash bros.

The way to play Smash is based on your persepctive: if you want to play in a more party-esque fun, then do it. If you want to play with a more technical and hardcore style, then do it.

This is why people loved Smash more than any other fighting game. Smash is unique to many other fighting games because not only it brings the competive players, but also the casuals too.
In the same vain however, I won't play with item and on certain stages, because dying to things beyond my control infuriates me, even more than losing in a clean match
OK KO is pretty good. It's more comedy than story but if you're into that it's a good time.
Heh. OK KO. I'll leave my opinion on that show at "missed potential"

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
So here's a question I'm asking due to seeing signatures; why do people seem convinced that Captain Toad is deconfirmed? He's only a background character for New Donk, isn't he? And other characters have appeared in the background while also proving playable in the past, like Dedede and Toon Link. It doesn't seem like a viable excuse to let one dream die.
Dreamland's background Dedede is in a completely different artstyle from the playable one (Being a 2D, 16bit sprite and all), and if you wanna get really technical about it, there's multiple incarnations of Link, including the ones from the "toon" games. Spirit Tracks Link is not the same character as Wind Waker Link.

As far as I'm aware, there's only one Captain Toad, and he's not exactly in a different artstyle in his appearance.

Granted, we can't know for sure if that's why the other Toon Link can appear as part of the stage as well. I will also admit that, since he's only in the background rather than being part of a stage mechanic or hazard, CT could still be replaced or taken out if the character was being played on the stage without much issue. If nothing else, however, I'd recommend not getting your hopes up for Captain Toad. It's still anything but a good sign for the character's chances.

Last edited:

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
This is very unlikely, but how would people feel if Vergeben got Incineroar wrong and the Music Theory was actually true?
Half disappointed, as music theory deconfirms some characters I'm hoping for, but also half excited as it would shake things up a bit.

beans

Smash Lord
Heh, heh, heh, hahahahahahahaha.
Sonic fox v ZeRo will either destroy or help Ultimates competitive scene before it really has one
Best case scenario: ZeRo mops the floor with Sonicfox and does the windows while he's at it. This gives smash real credibility, you can't just waltz in and beat our best player with 3 months of practice, it legitimizes out sport
Worst case scenario:Sonic fox wins, at all. This shows that just any one can be good at smash, with three months practice you can be better than the best. We need ZeRo to win this, like it or not.
Everyone knows SonicFox will go for an instant rematch if he loses
He will transform into his final form, unleash his Devil Trigger, go Super Saiyan, use 100% of his quirk, touch the power of the tailed beast and awaken his seventh sense.
He will put the fursuit on

Dcas

Smash Journeyman
It doesn’t mean we won’t get something in October the playlist update just means we are close

What happen is both times (August and September directs) it was 10 days after it happened that’s when they get revealed

Obviously that pattern is not happening since it’s gonna be 10 days so a little longer this time
Yeah, we will see how it unfolds. I meant that the pattern was broken, the 10 days thing, it might be 11,12 19 or so, but the 10 days thing is broken which was my point.

Last edited:

beans

Smash Lord
Dreamland's background Dedede is in a completely different artstyle from the playable one (Being a 2D, 16bit sprite and all), and if you wanna get really technical about it, there's multiple incarnations of Link, including the ones from the "toon" games. Spirit Tracks Link is not the same character as Wind Waker Link.

As far as I'm aware, there's only one Captain Toad, and he's not exactly in a different artstyle in his appearance.

Granted, we can't know for sure if that's why the other Toon Link can appear as part of the stage as well. I will also admit that, since he's only in the background rather than being part of a stage mechanic or hazard, CT could still be replaced or taken out if the character was being played on the stage without much issue. If nothing else, however, I'd recommend not getting your hopes up for Captain Toad. It's still anything but a good sign for the character's chances.
Captain Toad will disappear ofbthe background and Alfonzo will take his place
"Leave it to me"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom